3853 Piedmont Avenue
Oakland, CA 94611Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baywolf.com/
- Phone: 5106556004
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Monday (Monday Menu), Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Michael Wild
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Meet, Eat, Collaborate, Celebrate
at BayWolf Restaurant! We invite you to think of us when planning your meetings, celebrations and gatherings of all kinds. We have the perfect space for your party, from intimate to gala, inside or out.
- Private Party Contact: Larry Goldman 5106556004
- Special Events: Join us every Monday for our "Monday Menu" featuring a weekly changing set of offerings made special just for Monday nights.
Please visit our website for details: www.baywolf.com
A word from BayWolf
Since 1975, BayWolf has been Oakland's favorite neighborhood restaurant, consistently delivering vibrant, world-class food in a Victorian home made modern with its popular terrace and eclectic dining rooms on Piedmont Avenue. BayWolf has several options for those looking to celebrate or meet with large groups of friends or business associates. The dinner menu changes monthly, always featuring the abundant locally-grown seasonal produce of Northern California and utilizing the culinary traditions of the Mediterranean. Additionally, the menu always showcases duck, raised especially for us by Liberty Ranch in Sonoma County. BayWolf remains a home away from home for all lovers of food, art, wine, friends and most of all family, which is who we consider everyone dining with us to be.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BayWolf reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)neighborhood gem (90)special occasion (86)romantic (62)notable wine list (43)great for outdoor dining (38)good for groups (25)great for lunch (7)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- PerfectPigFancierDined on 6/25/2014Not only could we sit out on the enclosed porch, we had a great waiter (Dylan) and superb food. I had five different items (being a vegetarian, I tried many small dishes that were meatless rather than a large dish of meat or fish) and they were each excellent. 'Can hardly wait to go back.
- Bay Wolf - Even better than beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014My husband and I were in Oakland for the weekend. We invited our niece and her new husband to dinner and wanted a restaurant near Downtown, with food and ambiance good enough to make a BART trip for them worthwhile. I found Bay Wolf in a list of recommended restaurants. I remembered eating there a few times when I lived in Oakland 10 years ago and finding it good if not memorable. We were thus pleasantly surprised that the quality, service, and ambiance were even better than we remembered, with choices on the menu to well suited to each of our appetites (my duck w/ corn pudding and blackberries was particularly good). We had a lovely evening and the kids are already planning another trek to Bay Wolf, this time with foodie friends in tow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2014I always had a wonderful time there. I have been a patron for many years. I will continue this trend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food in East BayAWDogVIPDined on 6/17/2014This was my third dinner at BayWolf within about a year. All have been great experiences. Food in particular has been excellent. This time there were six of us and we all had the same reaction, "wow!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodnewhomealamedaDined on 6/15/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants. We often go for special occasions, but sometimes just because it is so good. Last time we had the Father's Day special and absolutely loved our steaks which were tender, juicy, and cooked perfectly. We enjoyed all of our dishes. It is nice to go out and actually have a peaceful evening with delicious food. The service is attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day Prix-Fixe MenuRNelsonDined on 6/15/2014Everyone ordered the three-course prix-fixe Father's Day special menu. Although I may not have ordered these three courses if they weren't part of the special, I enjoyed each and every course. They offered to allow us to switch the dessert item, but we stuck with the peach galette. Although I was leaning toward the chocolate cake (becuse I almost never pass up chocolate cake), I'm glad I stuck with the regular item. The peaches in the peach galette were delicious!!! We have been going to Bay Wolf for over 26 years. We just love it!Special Features:
- Lovely and personalOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/12/2014The food alone is worth the visit, but the staff and ambience are equally as terrific.Special Features:
- YumJeffDined on 6/12/2014Great food and superb service. This idiotic software requires 59 swords, so ignore this sentence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the usual great baywolf serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/10/2014For the first time in years, the service at baywolf was not that great. This restaurant is normally wonderful but this time service was inattentive and the swordfish arrived dried and well over cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotBobBobbersonDined on 6/9/2014Had a wonderful dinner here, excellent food. Great to know that this place is in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedNinerGirlVIPDined on 6/9/2014Have not returned for a long time since it was just so-so. Even though restaurant had problems with the delivery of the duck they were able to serve a few orders. Thank you Dylan for taking care of us with the duck, it was very tasty and I will think about dining again with clients.Special Features:
- Well-balanced creativityDennisDined on 6/8/2014Our pris-fixe dinner had a Mexican duck theme, and it was sensational. A perfect soup, with a broth like nothing I've ever tasted, with wonderful chunks of duck, garlic, etc. The main course was a splendidly deconstructed chile relleno plate, including more perfectly cooked duck. Nice little cookies and an espresso that was just right to finish. Our waiter recommended an exquisite Italian red to go with everything. In fact, the service was very professional and friendly. A memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dining experience, but...Mbk333VIPDined on 6/7/2014Fish, lamb, unremarkable. My duck was soggy, although I specifically requested it to be crisp. Stuffed squid particularly good. But stuffed squash blossums just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still OutstandingMrJDW1Dined on 6/7/2014Been to Bay Wolf regularly for decades. The menu is always interesting and the service excellent. Saturday's experience was fine. Ate on the terrace. Shrimp ceviche, duck w/ cherries and corn pudding and a banana split. The duck was actually a bit dry. Have ordered duck for years and am usually quite pleased. Corn pudding was good as was my grape juice spritzer. My dining companions were enthusiastic about Bay Wolf and were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- did the chef change!ChanelVIPDined on 6/7/2014Been going to BayWolf for a long time and this is the first time it was not a good experience. Sat on the patio for a change and it was very noisey in the back. Food was not as good! ordered ceviche and the shrimp were very over cooked, also it was my first time having ceviche served that way! the lamb was tough and not prepared the way it was described. i just wondered if the the chef had changed since nov.2013.Special Features:
- KathrynVIPDined on 5/30/2014BayWolf never disappoints. Consistently great food and service.Special Features:
- BayWolf is my favorite restaurantkristivgDined on 5/29/2014Baywolf is my favorite restaurant. This is where I always want to go to celebrate my birthday and our anniversary. The food is wonderful. I love sitting on the terrace and the service is great. There is nothing I could say bad about Baywolf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck not up to parFreewayDined on 5/25/2014We have been going to Bay Wolf annually or more for 26 years. We have mostly always had the Liberty Duck and have been so pleased with the presentation, the duck, and the pairings with it. This year we were very disappointed with the duck. It was served confit style, was overcooked, and my wife's portion was so small it should never have left the kitchen. In retrospect we should have sent it back but since it was our anniversary-birthday celebration we enjoyed the remainder of the food served with it. I even called and left a message for Bay Wolf with my phone number but never received a call back. The ambiance was lovely and our waiter was wonderful. We will probably give it a try next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1350 reviews are from the BayWolf reviews archive.
- Duck is always greatdinealotVIPDined on 5/17/2014This is the place to come if you love duck. Always cooked to perfection. I also had a raw artichoke and mushroom salad which was also good. My table mate had the duck liver parpadelle and was swooning it was so tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Mother' DinnerJuneDined on 5/11/2014We were able to get a table out on the terrace, which was nice. Our waiter and all of the staff were wonderful. It was a fixed menu for the night but everything we had was exquisite! It was a beautiful!Special Features:
- Mother's Day treatWarrenDined on 5/11/2014We planned a Mother's Day dinner here not knowing they had a prix fix menu. It ended up being much more expensive than we had planned but worth the extra $ as we had a very happy and full mother.Special Features:
- Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Everything was absolutely perfect, from the red and green lettuce Caesar salad, to the amazing duck breast, to the stunningly great desserts. One of the best dinners ever!Special Features:
- bigkahina2wipedoutbigkahina2wipedoutVIPDined on 5/11/2014We have gone to the restaurant from its beginning. At the special Mo's Day dinner, the duck(a house specialty) was dry & disappointing. The rest of the meal was fine, but a pattern of inconsistency from the kitchen is emerging. The service is always first class. Hope things improve & they restart serving lunch.Special Features:
- BarbaraDined on 5/9/2014The food was very good, but not at the level that I anticipated. The service was superior, friendly, and when our server said he was there to take care of us, he really meant it. There's a fine line between over-service and great service, and this restaurant knows how to deliver this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Food was very salty for some reason, especially my pork chop. But since my girlfriend's dish wasn't as salty, I didn't want to raise an issue so didn't say anything to the waiter. Except the weird salty issue, food was wonderfully prepaered (hence I still devoured the salty pork chop, diluting it with the sides and dinking more water). Next time I will be sure to let the waiter know and tell the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great setting, but food a bit offOaklanderDined on 5/9/2014Entrees were all a little off. Chicken was dry, pork chop was not as advertised by the wait staff (was supposed to be thick cut with bone-in and was neither) and also slightly too salty (although it was advertised as brined). Pasta dish (parpardelle) was way too oily - would have been much better with a light cream sauce. Food quality was off set by attentive, but unobtrusive wait staff and restaurant ambiance, which was very nice.Special Features:
- Fab service good foodTigger2003VIPDined on 5/9/2014They were super accommodating in regards to my food limitations. The reason for the 3*** is bc the food could really be a little bit more tasteful :) And Jim was super nice :) I loved them having reading glassesSpecial Features:
- Nephew's Bithday DinnernephewsbirthdayDined on 5/7/2014We ordered soup, avocado salad, a calamari salad, and duck, chicken, calamari entree , and pork chops for dinner. Everything was good except that the chicken was a bit overcooked. Nephew received a piece of flourless chocolate cake for dessert on the house! That was nice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/5/2014It was a Monday night so that may be why the food choices weren't as good as expectedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elegantOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/2/2014always worth the extra money for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- Parapadelle/confit outofthisworldOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/2/2014It's not often that I sit down to meal where the dish in front of me makes me want to applaud. Followed with the adventurous dessert of a banana split. This place remembers why one chooses to go out to eat and makes the journey worthwhileSpecial Features:
- baywolf510oaklandDined on 4/25/2014great overall menu, service, ambiance, location. Awesome flourless chocolate cake!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible valueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2014Visit Oakland regularly for decades but never are here before. Had a superb meal with attentive service. This may be the best value I've experienced in a restaurant in many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday TraditionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/23/2014Bay Wolf is the restaurant of choice for my mother who was having her 85th birthday and we could not have been happier with everything, including their remembering that it was her birthday when desert came. Food and service are excellent every time we go there.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodAWDogVIPDined on 4/21/2014Really is terrific food! I visit the East Bay once a month and Baywolf has moved to the top of the list for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too old...MarieskrDined on 4/20/2014Maybe my expectation was too high. Bay wolf is a good restaurant overall but not really special. I took my husband for Birthday dinner. Food was good but heavy.(April in Paris...French theme this month) I didn't like the ambience..it was too old.. classic... I guess Bay wolf is a good restaurant if you want to have a good dinner in the area. Service was good..but not outstanding. I gave them a head up for my hubby's birthday and asked for a small event..thinking of other restaurants that I have been to for birthday dinners such as Gary Danko, Chez panisse and etc... but they only added 2 tiny candles on the Chocolate cake we ordered. A small complementary dessert wouldn't hurt their reputation. I don't think I would go back for myself.
- Reliabe Baywolf!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014Such very pleasant ambiance, service and an interesting menu. The green garlic flan starter melted in one's mouth. The light chocolate cake was perfect. Best caesar salad maybe I've ever had with perfect balance of flavors.Special Features:
- Most recent of many since mid 70sbayareabornDined on 4/19/2014We are repeat customers over the decades and have experienced the many transitions of this neighborhood gem. Through it all it has never lost the personal touch of Michael Wild, which has given us the sense of continuity that builds confidence. From this April's French bistro theme to the next the menu is always a perfect match. I do hope they keep the flour less chocolate cake which has to be experienced because it is indescribable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bay Wolf DinnerFineDiningFanDined on 4/18/2014My husband and I went back to Bay Wolf. The food was excellent. I had the mushroom soup which was outstanding and my husband had the leek appetizer which he loved also. He had the Coq au Vin for an entree. The Coq au Vin was lighter than we have had elsewhere and was very good and flavorful. I had the Petrale Sole which had a yummy sauce. I think his Coq au Vin was the best. We shared the lemon pot de creme for dessert which was outstanding, very light and yummy, not too sweet. The service was excellent although they forgot to bring bread until we were most of the way through our entrees (minor point). We have very high standards for restaurants and we very much enjoyed our meal.Special Features:
- Disappointing ExperiencebeehivebuzzzDined on 4/16/2014I made a reservation for 8:30PM. This indicated to me that the restaurant was still able to accommodate diners at that hour. The waiter discouraged me from ordering the Coq au Vin, after explaining it would take 20-30 minutes to prepare. This was very disappointing. I instead ordered a fish dish that was not very flavorful. The whole experience felt rushed & I felt unwelcome.