401 South Columbus Blvd.
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.moshulu.com/
- Phone: 2159232500x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM
Sunday Brunch 10:00 AM to 2:30 PM
Monday - Thursday 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Friday - Saturday 5:00 PM to 11:00 PM
Sunday 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Bonett
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: .
- Special Events: The Moshulu, the World’s oldest and largest four-masted Tall Ship offers unsurpassed views and a unique backdrop for intimate to extraordinary dining and celebrations. Our private dining rooms, outdoor open-aired and tented decks combined with delectable, award-wining American cuisine and impeccable service create the perfect setting for memorable events. Please contact Diane Megliano, Director of Sales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from Moshulu
The Moshulu, the World’s oldest and largest four-masted Tall Ship offers the most unique dining experience featuring inspired award-wining, contemporary American cuisine using nature’s finest ingredients and impeccable service. The luxurious dining room, private dining rooms, Bongo Bar and outdoor open-aired and tented decks offer unsurpassed views for intimate to extraordinary dining and celebrations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Moshulu - Best Restaurants in Penn's Landing ›
Moshulu reviews from OpenTable diners
306 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (222)special occasion (221)romantic (209)fit for foodies (84)notable wine list (72)great for brunch (65)good for groups (61)great for lunch (47)great for outdoor dining (46)neighborhood gem (42)late-night find (22)hot spot (19)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (7)Show More
- RandyDined on 8/1/2014Great food. Lousy service. Took 15 min to bring over water. Food was truly exceptional. Ambiance is wonderful.Special Features:
- awfulgwenoDined on 8/1/2014VERY disappointed. quality of food was VERY poor. presentation of food was VERY poor. calamari app was served in a coffee cup - no plate. fish and pasta entrees were awful. somalier tried to make our experience better. would not return except for bongo deck/drinks.Special Features:
- Worth the VisitBellagirlDined on 8/1/2014I'm glad I tried Moshulu, but it didn't necessarily knock my socks off. The service was fantastic beginning to end and although it was raining the ambience was wonderful. I guess I was expecting more from the meal and it was just ok. One odd thing was we ordered a side dish of crab meat & it was warm not cold. Note to self .... Ask more questions of the server and don't assume because every other restaurant serves it cold they would as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great HospitalityHankDined on 8/1/2014From start to finish we were treated like royalty. The bar staff kept us laughing while waiting for our table. Once seated our server Andrew blew us away. Very cool place to dine, we will def be back!!!Special Features:
- Needs a remodelluv2eatoutVIPDined on 8/1/2014Visited here during the Waterfront Restaurant week at lunchtime, arrived on time but still had to wait 10 minutes to be seated and wasn't that buzy. When seated we were seated with a waterview table, but the A/C was on high and you needed a winter coat on it was that cold, I haven't been here in years and it smelled musty and damp and the dining room area is in need of a total makeover. The restaurant week lunch menu was a wide variety of items and I had started out with a Ceaser salad (why roasted peppers are on it) and a Burger as my entree. All summed up it was worth the cost of $20.00. Hope to see some improvements made for a return trip to happen
- charming waterfront spotMcpoppyDined on 7/31/2014An icon on the waterfront at Penn's Landing, Moshulu was a welcoming restaurant to meet our friends for lunch. The noise level was low so we could chat comfortably. The waiter was excellent and the ambiance was warm and friendly. Food was very good. The historic nature of an old ship gave it that romantic flair. All in all, it was a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mix of food & atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/30/2014This is a very interesting place. The ship is quite interesting and the dining room is well done. The food is good but nothing spectacular. Everything that we ordered (Wedge Salad, Tuna Tartare, Lamb Chop/Belly, Scallops) tasted good and has some odd things about it. For instance, I had the scallops which came with Porcini Chive Gnocchi. the gnocchi were delicious but confused by chunks of potatoes on the plate. The sauce was a truffle broth which didn't have much of a truffle flavor. My wife's Tuna Tartare was also good but it was drowned in a soy-based sauce that just overpowered the tuna. I am glad we tried it but I am not sure that I would return.
- Beautiful dinner1LSSDined on 7/30/2014Had dinner here before a concert across the way. It was relaxing and beautiful and the food was fantastic. There was a minor problem with one dish which was taken care of immediately and a follow up apology from management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014From the service, wine and food. They hit the "outstanding mark" Thank you for a very memorable evening!Special Features:
- disappointingrickVIPDined on 7/27/20146 months ago we would hear and it was excellent the changed the menu and took the weight on with station seems like they lowered their quality in food and our waiter was pathetic I had to ask for a cup of coffee three times before he put it to me not to mention I am dropping an entire tray of orange juice right next to our table we got splashedSpecial Features:
- Chef needs to learn about seasoningPhilly4FoodVIPDined on 7/26/2014W sat across from large windows overlooking the Delaware River. Our waiter introduced himself and was absolutely first rate throughout the evening. Food and drink arrived at a thoughtful pace and our waiter understand when to check in with us, and when to leave us alone. The problem with our dinner was the food. It was extremely uneven at best. The crabmeat cocktail was dripping gallons of of sauce, overpowering it. We got it replaced with crabmeat and no sauce, which was delicate and sweet, obviously needing a light touch. One person's fish was over salted, and the other was bland. The Peking Duck was blah at best. The garnishes and veggies muddled the dishes' flavors and seemed last minute throw-ins. The sorbet for dessert was great.
- A classic that needs to be updatedculturemavenDined on 7/26/2014This was my first visit to the Moshulu. From what I had heard over the years, the restaurant had a stellar reputation. Everything about the restaurant seemed dated. The decor was lovely, yet it had a late 1950's early 1960's "Mad Men" feel to it. There was a nice selection of food - sandwiches, entrees, and salads. I ordered the corn beef special. For a $16 sandwich, I found the corned beef to be greasy and it tasted as if it had sat in the restaurant a few days. The sandwich portion was reasonable, yet for the price, perhaps a side salad could have been included. My friends and I were celebrating a birthday. I had ordered a cake and again, for the $48 price, it was mediocre at best. I am not sure I would return to the restaurant.
- Special OccasionFoodie82Dined on 7/25/2014The Moshulu was always one of my favorite restaurants so I sent my sister and her husband for a romantic dinner to celebrate their 17th wedding anniversary. The accommodations made by Moshulu exceeded my expectations and request. They took my card over the phone the day before so the couple nor I had to worry about anything. The restaurant sat them at a table with a gorgeous view that actual gave them a view of fireworks none of us anticipated. They had a lovely dinner and the chef prepared a dessert with happy anniversary written on the plate. Thanks again Moshulu staff for making this evening even more special!Special Features:
- Dinner INSIDE FRIDAY jULY 25eatgoodathomeDined on 7/25/2014Made reservations for 7:15pm. Was disappointed with the hostesses because one told me we could sit upstairs on the deck( which I love eating outdoors). While waiting in the lobby the other hostess said it was getting full upstairs but there were still more seats. When my husband arrived 10 minutes later the hostess told us we couldn't sit on the deck. She didn't have a reason except to say it was too noisy and we would like the ambience of eating inside better. I didn't want to sit inside so she said we could have cocktails up there after dinner. I was very disappointed. Food was very good. Waitress was stand-offish. would come back to sit on deck next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS A PLEASUREBONNIEBDined on 7/24/2014We love celebrating our special moments at the Moshulu and have been doing so now for quite a few years a couple times a year. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprisemuseumloverDined on 7/24/2014I have not been to Moshulu in years, but wanted to take out-of-town guests to a scenic restaurant on the waterfront on a hot day when outdoor dining was not appealing. We had a great experience at Moshulu. The food was good and our waiter, Thomas, was A+ in service. Maybe the restaurant would wish that it had been more crowded at lunchtime, but for us, the fact that we could easily hear each other was a real plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014I took my girlfriend to the Moshulu for her birthday and it was an awesome experience. The food and services was excellentSpecial Features:
- Moshulu is ExcellentFayth143Dined on 7/20/2014The food here is decadent and beautifully presented. We had the Lobster Bisque and the Tuna Tartare to start. The tuna was so gently flavored that even a non-sushi lover would love it. The soup was creamy with the perfect amount of lobster meat. Then we had the Duck, Swordfish and Salmon. All dishes arrived stacked in vertical layers with sauces drizzled around. All meats were tender for such thick pieces. Absolutely nothing disappointed. The waiter was a very polite, very attentive young man that watched over us during our meal, making sure we never wanted for anything. Every plate was incredible. We had a terrific evening. By the way, they really love to serve asparagus! LOL Which by the way, were stalks thicker than my thumb.Special Features:
- A Time To RememberAngeloDined on 7/19/2014Good friends from North Jersey visit every July. These friends are special and therefore we always dine at Moshula. Last July, we decided to start our night by taking in the view of Jersey and have a before dinner drink on deck. Suffice it to say the upper deck bartenders didn't do well. Not being one who suffers in silence, in addition to complaining at the time, I wrote a bad review about the deck experience but noting that dinner was excellent. This year my martini was the best as was everyone's drinks. I was informed that our drinks were made by Moshula's best bartender, who was specifically assigned there for our arrival. Amazng. A restaurant that listens and even one year later remembers.Special Features:
- Slow night, pricey wines!drdietzDined on 7/19/2014The server we had was a very nice gentleman from Texas who sings opera. Very nice server except that he had his hands tied with slow kitchen service. Food was very good and would highly recommend. The wine was obnoxiously overpriced and would prefer to eat more and drink less because of this. Nice place for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Relaxing VenueBirthdayDinersDined on 7/19/2014The Moshulu staff was very welcoming and cordial and attentive to our table. We were seated quickly, ordered beverages and apps shortly upon seating. The bread dish was very tasty as well as the special spread. We tried the cheese plate which was a nice blend of flavors. Our lunch order varied, with the salmon burger, to greek fish salad, to chicken wrap. All served with house chips. Serving size was more than ample for all. With a small child on board, we were happy with the server and his attentiveness to our table. The surprise sorbet birthday dish for my daughter was a very special addition to the already fine food and service.Special Features:
- AmazingSandyBlazinDined on 7/18/2014My fiance and I went for date night and we picked a perfect location. Moshulu has a great selection on their menu and the food was great. The view was also beautiful because we could see the water, the bridge and the late night summer fireworks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt Like VacationCmoneyDined on 7/18/2014I loved the unique experience of this restaurant! The whole time I felt like I was on a cruise or vacation and I was bummed when I stepped off as if my vacation had come to an end. Our server was great the food was yummy and they were out of the wine I ordered so they upgraded to a similar, more expensive wine for the same price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MoshuluSorryDined on 7/18/2014Moshulu is a good choice for a special evening. The food good, the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lukewarm Reviewl8seatoutDined on 7/18/2014Our seating was perfect, great view, great atmosphere. The radicatore with crab and wild mushrooms was very tasty, but alas lukewarm to cold. Not sure if it wasn't brought soon enough or microwaved. Too bad.Special Features:
- Awesome !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014I took my husband here for his birthday. The food was great and so was the service. It was beautiful too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulPombaarDined on 7/13/2014A great anniversary dinner! The food, service (Evan), and the evening was top-notch. We got there early and had drinks on top of the old ship and then had dinner. A wonderful time which we will do again!Special Features:
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014I think because it's on Penns Landing people don't realize how much of a gem the Moshulu is. The food is creative and excellent, they have a great alcohol selection and service is always attentive. We started at the bar where my husband liked their scotch selection. After seated my husband had the calamari with andouille and I had the bisque. Both great with wonderful flavors. Our entries were the veal and shrimp and my husband had the fish special. Perfectly prepared and plated. Desert was a decadent creme brûlée. Every fork and spoonful was a treat, and our server, bar tender and the manager himself were all politely pleasant and attentive without being over bearing. The decor is unique in that it's a ship, but elegant and refined.Special Features:
- Date night no kidsJerseyansDined on 7/13/2014Our server, Evan, was excellent and was very attentive and knowledgeable. We were celebrating 2 special occasions which they acknowledged by serving special sorbet treats. We had also ordered a bottle of wine which ended up being our of stock. Evan provided a comparable recommendation (which was more expensive) but charged us for the price of our original selection which was very business considerate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate Menu ShiftSubukaiVIPDined on 7/13/2014I previously held the Moshulu in high regard for having the best brunch in the area, but I was immediately on guard when I noticed that the menu and service style had changed (no more grand dessert bar in the entrance lobby). The a la carte menu items were different & now optional (but still included); my dining partner and I split one (the short-rib omelet), it was lackluster and disappointing. We all have our dining pet-peeves; mine is expensive restaurants with no Splenda... worse that I answered the "cream and sugar?" question with "just Splenda" and I was brought a container full of everything but. The server managed to find ONE packet & said she thinks they stopped buying it... that makes sense, since it's so unpopular.Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderfulAWESOMEDined on 7/12/2014Dining at Moshulu was an incredible experience. The food was amazing and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvfoodDined on 7/12/2014The atmosphere was wonderful,but the food really was not good at all especially at those prices.Special Features:
- As always, greatilletsacVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is my 20th time there and I would recommend it to anyone who does not mind the pricy menu. Wonderful place for lunch.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!!SergeDined on 7/10/2014A complete pleasure in every way. They made us feel like royalty on our most special day. This is an incredible place to dine!!!Special Features:
- Well DoneHankDined on 7/10/2014Awesome time, great food amazing service!! The ship is actually a very historic vessel with charm and elegance, a must go for anyone visiting the area.Special Features:
- BD dinnerMuffinmanDined on 7/6/2014Excellent atmosphere, food and service! We went for a special bd event. Ten people. We enjoyed the deck for drinks and pictures.hostess was very nice.we sat a nice large round table. Our server was delightful. Everything we ordered was delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good overallFortunateDined on 7/6/2014We were seated promptly. My husband wore a pair of black slacks and needed a black napkin. We asked the hostess and she said she would check. She did not return. When we placed our drink and appetizer order we asked the waiter because we noticed he had one. He said he would get one and did not. With that exception, I may have rated the service very good to excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was "ok"Irol8210Dined on 7/6/2014I was a little disappointed this time. It seemed like a while, to just receive water and bread. And i had to remind the waiter of at least 3 things he forgot. The fillet mignon and salad was RIDICULOUSLY salty. I didn't send it back, b/c I mixed it with my side order of mushrooms which helped and I didn't want to wait for something else. Idk, but maybe people aren't on their game on Sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular evening!ChickVIPDined on 7/5/2014We so enjoyed our dinner on the 4th of July -- watching the fireworks from the deck on the river, and then enjoying a delicious dinner served by an excellent and responsive server, Cordell. Later a visit from the sommelier, Duchs (spelling?) left us with a delightful evening memory. Highly recommended. Phyllis & ChickSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent even during holidayKizzDined on 7/5/2014Went on July 5th with an 830pm reservation. We were seated next to a window over looking the water. Waitress extremely nice, knowledgeable and had great customer service. Gave us the option to watch fireworks from our seats or on the upper deck. Held our main entree fire up until after the show. Drink menu was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.