215 Xenia Avenue
Yellow Springs, OH 45387Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.windscafe.com/
- Phone: 9377671144
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am -3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kim Korkan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Small intimate private dining room that accommodates up to 30 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Mary Kay Smith 937-767-1144
A word from Winds Café
Winds Café is located in the small, progressive town of Yellow Springs. Visitors enjoy independent and artisan shops, riding along the bike path, hiking in Glen Helen and John Bryan State Park, music or performing arts venues and independent art films at Little Art Theater. The food is European inspired with an American twist and uses as many local ingredients as Chef Kim can find. The menu and wines change monthly to reflect the seasons, and no, you cannot have tomato on your sandwich in February. Winds Café tries to find organic producers whose methods are humane, ethical and environmentally friendly. The restaurant is committed to keeping prices affordable and the quality of the food high; and is also committed to providing excellent, informed service in a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere. In a sprawling sea of chain restaurants, Winds offers food and wine that is accessible and adventurous providing gastronomic opportunities usually only found in larger cities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Winds Café - Best Restaurants in Yellow Springs ›
Winds Café reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)neighborhood gem (84)special occasion (80)great for outdoor dining (68)notable wine list (59)great for brunch (47)great for lunch (41)romantic (39)good for groups (20)hot spot (13)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Always GoodEssentialResearcherDined on 4/20/2014The Winds Cafe kitchen knows food. We enjoyed an Easter brunch here and the food was seasoned perfectly, as usual. I tried my son's Roma omelet. Very bright lemon and artichoke flavor with wonderful herbs. My shrimp and grits had just the right amount of cajun seasoning. We had an upbeat, friendly waitress. I only eat here a few times a year, since I live in Columbus, and the food is always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Winds Deserves Betterluv2dineDined on 4/19/2014I love The Winds. I love the food. I love the location and the whole feel of the place. I have consistently experienced inconsistent service at this restaurant. This is, honestly, mind-boggling to me. Many members of the staff are very professional and courteous. So, why is it that something always falters somewhere along the way in the meal? There is so little coordination between staff members that kitchen, server, host and support are completely unable to get everything out to the table in a way that doesn't seem a struggle for the diner. This is such a special restaurant. So why do I always leave feeling lucky to have made it out of there, instead of feeling like I've just had a very special experience?Special Features:
- A Decent DinnerTashwitzDined on 4/19/2014I made dinner reservations on OpenTable for my boyfriend's birthday (mentioned that in the comments when I made the reservation). We arrived for our reservation and waited ~10 min before we were even greeted by a host. We were taken to our table and we ordered a bottle of champagne, several appetizers, dinner plates, desserts etc. I was going all out for this celebration. No one ever told boyfriend 'Happy Birthday.' We waited an hour for our entrees. The food was good, but the service was VERY poor. Our bill was more than $130 for two of us. For that price we can get better food and service elsewhere. Very disappointed in the service.Special Features:
- Never disappointed!WyloDined on 4/18/2014The food was exceptional....we especially loved the French Nibble - mushrooms cooked like escargot. Thank the Goddess salad was perfectly dressed and the Seared Sea Scallops with saffron risotto were to die for! The service was a little slow, but I think that is because everything is made fresh and not the fault of the server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special time with familyJslowDined on 4/12/2014We arranged a post-recital dinner at Winds Cafe and had a lovely table for 10 which they set up in an oval shape. The server was very accommodating to our party's dietary needs. The small plates were very small portions, so it is better to order the large plates to get a full meal. The salads were good and helped to fill up those who ordered the small plates. A few complaints: the noise level was high in there which hindered our conversation, the quail was under cooked and the lamb had too much gristle. Not sure if we will return, but if we do, we will opt for the outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Great place for a late lunchsagefoolDined on 4/12/2014We were fortunate to be there on a day The Winds featured their mushroom soup, which is worth the trip by itself. The entrees we had, the featured pasta and a bistro steak were well prepared, as usual. We topped things off with chocolate mousse, which seems rich and light at the same time. The wine special, a petit verdot by Kinkead Ridge was outstanding and set off the bistro steak quite well. The Winds Cafe is truly a local gem, comparing favorably to places we have eaten in New York and Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlwaysMiltDined on 4/11/2014We always enjoy our visits to Winds Café. It is a two hour drive each way but well worth it. Even better when you share the food with friends. One of our top five restaurants.Special Features:
- Brunch at the WindsRooneyDined on 4/6/2014We had a 1:00 reservation and were not seated until after 2:00 and served after 2:30 p.m.. It was, however, worth the wait. The waiter kept us informed of the delay (a big group seated before our group of 4) and was appropriately attentive. The food was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over ratedruthiesueDined on 4/6/2014what takes so long? probably an hour after ordering before being served. restaurant only half full and other half dirty empty tables. uncomfortably warm and no ice in h2o. juice was warm, again no ice. coffee was luke at best. food was not hot and not worth the price. the only really good thing was our waitress
- AwesomeKateDined on 4/5/2014Inventive menu. Nicely presented. Server good command of dish prep..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winds cafeRyanDined on 4/4/2014Went there for a special occasion and had a great time. The food was amazing and the drinks were very good. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/2/2014We have been going to Winds for almost 5 years now and it's normally one our favorite restaurants. We have also hosted 2 private parties there in the past and have spent a considerable amount of money at the establishment. Last week, we went there for my husband's birthday. The service was TERRIBLE! I'm never over impressed with the wait staff at Winds, but this waitress was, by far, the least friendly. The food was good, however, the menu is so limited - then on top of that, the restaurant was out of the scallops entree (which is annoying because there are only a few entrees on the menu). When it came to dessert, they were out of dessert options as well. This was an early seating on a Wednesday evening - not busy, but poor planning.Special Features:
- Always wonderful!FrequentWindsVisitorDined on 3/30/2014I have within the last few years moved to the Dayton area and I find I have to visit the Winds at least once a season for their food. It is a great little restaurant in a great little town. The seasonal changes keep it fresh and interesting as well as showing their passion for local meats and produce. It is always a wonderful experience and I look forward to the next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceDanielsJMDined on 3/29/2014This was our first visit - We started in the bar with an excellent glass of wine. The bartender was extremely helpful and friendly. Outstanding food - our server was very helpful with dinner selection options and helped us pick out the perfect meal. The scallops were amazing! There was no room for desert this trip but we will try another time. I Highly recommend The Winds Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just rightElvisDined on 3/29/2014Winds Cafe is always worth the trip. It is a place to sit and enjoy food. If you are in a rush, I would go somewhere else, not for any reason but that the food is worth taking your time and enjoying. It is truly worth savoring. The staff that we interacted with were polite, personable, and knowledgeable about the menu. Great ambiance. It was nice to make a meal into an affair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab Entrees, Disappointing DessertOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/26/2014The chicken wings confit and scallops served with saffron risotto were excellent. Since we were celebrating a special birthday, I sent an email request for a special dessert. My request was not acknowledged, so we were forced to choose from the menu selections available. The angel food cake with raspberry sauce and gelato was heavy, dry and tasteless. Such a disappointment. The waitress was a bit taciturn and unresponsive to pleasantries. Not what we usually encounter when we dine there. I would recommend, but will have to lower the expectations. Note: the wines are superb and always well chosen to complement the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014Overall our dining experience was very pleasant a little hard to hear each other at times. Food was excellent!!! Always a pleasure. Can't wait until the weather is warmer and we can dine on the patio again!!! Thanks for the great experience.Special Features:
- Enjoyable all around. DefinitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014Enjoyable all around. Definitely will recommend to others and will be back on future special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The brunch food is good, especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2014The brunch food is good, especially the biscuits, but the service is incredibly slow. We waited an hour for our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Year ReunionStanDined on 3/21/2014Several years ago myself and two friends of mine found ourselves at the Winds. We had dinner and 3 bottles of Chimay. It was great. We recreated it this time. No Chimay but the local beer - Wyatt's Eviction- the jabenero infused margarita and all of the samll plates including the duck sausage corn dog, chicken wings, and several baskets of bread was ALL great. A very nice evening with old friends.Special Features:
- Friday Night Date NightbeverlykalDined on 3/21/2014This was the third time that we had attempted to eat at Winds Cafe. The first two times we were in Yellow Springs for another reason an stopped in without reservations. We were told that they were booked and went elsewhere for dinner. This time we called ahead at about 6:00 that night for reservations at 8:15 and were seated promptly when we arrived. I have read reviews that say eating during their busiest times may leave you waiting much longer for a table. Our server was pleasant and quick with our drinks and bread. The food was delicious and served within a short period of time after ordering. The decor was casual and comfortable. It was a great place for date night and we will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/21/2014We had a dinner of small plates, each exquisitely prepared. The only complaint was that one of the 3 roast artichokes was really too tough to enjoy. The romesco sauce to accompany was very good, but rather more spreadable than dippable. but the lamb skewers with mint pesto and feta were fabulous, as were the other dishes we had. We always love to come to the winds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful! Will visit again!CABellucciDined on 3/21/2014A friend of mine and I stopped by The Winds Cafe for lunch on a Friday. So glad we had reservations, because the restaurant filled up quickly. We both had a beautiful cup of emerald green tea while we waited for our Hangtown Fry main dishes to be served. The food arrived hot and was a delight of different flavors. We topped off the lunch with a wonderful chocolate mousse. The waitress was very attentive. The food was served in a timely manner and arrived hot. It's a beautiful restaurant. The restaurant is beautifully outfitted with antique tables and frames. There is a beautiful bank of windows alongside the dining room for watching the citizens of Yellow Springs walk by and letting in lots of ambient light. We'd definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerJoeSRDined on 3/16/2014Restaurant does a great job of providing a unique, interesting, and changing menu. Wait staff is always friendly and helpful. Small, but still a great place for groups of 4-8 to have a quality meal and fun get-together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good food. Long wait.ToxyLadyDined on 3/15/2014We had a reservation and had to wait 30 mins. for our table. The food was average and not as good as it has been in the past (several years ago).Special Features:
- Always a WinnerMOGalDined on 3/15/2014We have been going to the Winds Cafe for many occasions, several times a year since they opened under other names. We have never been disappointed in the food. Recipes are imaginative. There is something for every taste from beef to vegan. Display is gorgeous. Many fine choices in wine and beer plus a full bar. They use a lot of local foods. Desserts are incredibly delicious. The Winds Cafe is always one of our #1 choices, especially when celebrating, or to impress guests. On the downside it is noisy, although better than the old days. Also you usually get top of the line service, but on occasion, a less skilled server.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceRickDined on 3/15/2014This is the third time to The Winds in Yellow Springs - and the third time we've had a very enjoyable experience. We will continue to patronize this gem of a restaurant. And the waitstaff is great -very attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Winds has great varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2014The Winds varies its menu by the month, and they come up with very tasty and original items. They have good wines and offer friendly service. A local favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG!rucn2020VIPDined on 3/11/2014Been a long time since I haven't left at least a 20% tip. This server was as bad as it gets (we also had him several months ago and he's getting worst). Asked what was in two of the lunch specials - no clue. "Is the tuna sandwich cold?" "I think so." Ordered a beer, had to ask again, and again. Brought my wife's pasta out and said "your salad will be out shortly, but didn't want the pasta to get cold." That's fine, except my wife finished her pasta before my salad ever came out. Ordered a second beer - yep finished my salad before I ever saw that one. Had to track down a manager and give her my credit card because he was not to be found again. My wife said, they will either comp this entire lunch or at least your salad. Nope. Nope.Special Features:
- Can the food service get any slower502ASADined on 3/8/2014I've eaten here a couple of times per year, at the insistence of others, for a decade. The food is of high quality, but low quantity. The service was rarely fast, but has slowed to a snail's pace. On arrival we advised our waiter that we must leave for a show in exactly two hours. They couldn't finish within that window! We arrived for the performance as the curtain went up. I believe the problem is not with the wait staff, as they seemed as bothered about it as we were. The Winds seems to be trying to serve too many customers from a kitchen in a building repurposed from other uses. In other words, there is nothing ergonomic about The Winds Café.
- Perfect NightEatToLiveDined on 3/1/2014The food was fabulous, wonderful pairings and layers of flavor; the waitress a knowledgable and helpful guide for the menu. A happily provided taste, a perfect red, extra olives as requested. My date went with the recommended fish which was delicious surrounded by a beautiful hued broth, I had the butternut squash ravioli which had a perfect bite, warm, smooth and creamy filling with just enough hint of vanilla browned butter. There was something amazing happening, the ideal convergence of flavorful meal, lovely presentation, and my adorable, engaging date, and having the space and time to do that little dance that happens when your heart is racing and you are feeling your way around a new moment. A return visit? I …we, most certainly will.Special Features:
- A wonderful experiencecadijacDined on 3/1/2014This place has everything..........great food, great service and a nice atmosphere. Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great visitrickDined on 3/1/2014My wife and go to the Winds a couple times a year. this time it was in celebration of her birthday. Wow what a great evening. it startled with a review of the menu and realized they all sounded so good we are going to have to come back more often. i love the simple menu that changes. We are always surprised with the remarkable unique flavors and great presentation. JD took great care of us and provided us with timely service and allowed us to enjoy our conversation and a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite placeMarleneMDined on 2/28/2014Wind's Cafe is, hands down, our favorite restaurant. The always changing menu is adventurous not pretentious and always pleases us. This is our restaurant of choice for almost every special occasion and date night. You can dress up or go very casual in jeans. The servers are friendly and experienced. You can pop in sit at the bar and enjoy a small plate (or a full sized meal), while enjoying top notch hand mixed drinks (try the lemon verbena gimlet if they have it, made with house made lemon verbena syrup). Go on a Sunday for a casual brunch on the patio. Or make reservations for a seat by the window and enjoy people watching in Yellow Springs. We have never been disappointed when going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always superior!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014My work takes me all over the world and The Winds is consistently my favorite restaurant for the amazing food they serve, the service, and the attention to detail!Special Features:
- Fun Cuba ReunionErikaDined on 2/22/2014Very good small plates and an excellent wine selection.Special Features:
- A must-do in Yellow SpringsfoodhippieDined on 2/21/2014Exceptional food and service. A fresh, organic and well conceived menu from top to bottom. Enjoyed some of the finest oysters-on-the-half-shell I've had anywhere, including costal areas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceXjelxDined on 2/21/2014We arrived early for our reservation and were seated immediately. Even though it was a busy night we were never rushed and spent a couple of hours dining and enjoying the server's very good recommendations on drinks, dinner and dessert. Family friendly but also a sophisticated atmosphere. Food was exceptional as expected. Wish I lived closer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- February 15shanmanDined on 2/15/2014When checking in at 7:15 for a table of 2 we were informed we were the first 7:30 party of 2 to check in and we would be seated in 20 minutes. Subsequently several couples with 7:30 reservations were given tables prior to us and after reminding the host we were seated next at 8:15. When ordering we were informed that our desired dishes the steak and the ravioli were not available. The food we ordered was served in a timely manner and was very good. We will return to this venue and hope our experience was due to overbooking as a result of Valentines day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beginning to endEricdonnaDined on 2/15/2014From start to finish, from the olives, to the breads, to the trout, it was excellent. My wife ordered the Bistro steak 'well done'. It was very tender, & not over cooked. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.