99 Prince Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themercerkitchen.com/
- Phone: 2129665454
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Mon-Sat 7:00am-11:30am & Sunday 7:00am-11:00am
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:30am-3:30pm
Late Lunch: Mon-Fri 3:30-5:30pm
Brunch: Sat, Sun 11:00am-4:00pm
Dinner: Mon-Thu 5:30pm-12:00am
Fri, Sat 5:30pm-1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, French American
- Executive Chef: Jean-Georges Vongerichten
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Corner of Prince and Mercer Street
- Public Transit: B,D,F,M to Broadway/Lafayette; 6 to Spring St; or N,R to Prince Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking available after 5 pm and on holidays and weekends. Parking garage is located on Mercer St. between Houston and Prince.
A word from Mercer Kitchen
Located at the Mercer Hotel, Mercer Kitchen brings a chic, sophisticated vibe to the heart of SoHo. When Mercer Kitchen opened in 1998, it immediately became a destination for New Yorkers, celebrities, and tourists. Situated in the basement of a historic building constructed in the 1800s, the… restaurant was designed by Christian Liaigre as a combination of industrial and classic modernism. Chef Jean-Georges’ American menu features market-driven, seasonal ingredients prepared in a simple yet elegant style, with favorites like the Tuna Spring Roll, Steamed Shrimp Salad, wood-fired pizzas, and classic Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake. There is an open kitchen, where guests can sit back and watch the show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mercer Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
489 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (209)hot spot (199)special occasion (151)good for groups (149)neighborhood gem (144)romantic (128)great for lunch (121)vibrant bar scene (107)great for brunch (106)late-night find (67)notable wine list (43)kid-friendly (20)scenic view (9)great for outdoor dining (8)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Have been coming here for years now. A great spot for dinner or lunch that is cosy and always offers yummy food.Special Features:
- Skip itMattVIPDined on 8/22/2014Better off going elsewhere. Too many options in the city to waste your time here.
- sleek yet homeyanonymousDined on 8/22/2014the atmosphere has nice modern, sexy vibe, yet also welcoming and un-intimidating. the food is simple and well executed. I enjoyed my dinner there and can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Style over substance. Yawn.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/22/2014What a bore. Sadly did not get a chance to assess the food because it was the usual boring scenario of speedy table turn-around. We were early so had a drink at the bar where we were promptly collected (they waited while we settled out bar tab) on the strike of the hour. Rubbish table. Our unfinished plates were taken away without question (bread and a whole portion of fries) and the check was delivered immediately after we had declined desert. Consequently, the food was not memorable and I'm pretty sure my crispy salmon sushi appetizer was missing a sauce.
- Good ExprianceElilcoDined on 8/21/2014I was very happy with the service and food. it was a good choice.Special Features:
- What a shameHard2pleaseDined on 8/20/2014Tangine black bass was carrot heavy and black bass challenged. Tangine more form than function. Pork chop was well flavored, but the chop itself was grizzly and chewy. Great expectations dashed. What a shame Jean Georges.Special Features:
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014We loved mercer kitchen. The drinks at the bar were great, the food was outstanding, and we loved the atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mercer Kitchen rocksOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014Great space in SoHo, superbly designed in what is essentially a basement location that doesn't feel at all cramped. Delightfully friendly bar staff with a phenomenal Hendrick's gin cocktail using muddled mint and cucumber, lemon juice and simple syrup. Soup, pastas, veal were perfect. Incredible butterscotch pudding dessert with the richest caramel flavors. We'll go back again and again.Special Features:
- Excellent!Food4loveVIPDined on 8/18/2014Amazing food and excellent service! Our waiter Desmond was exceptional and made the entire dining experience even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for apps and cocktailslaslasDined on 8/18/2014Three of us went for dinner. Ordered three apps, the salmon on crispy rice (amazing), the kale salad (good), the shrimp (eh, overcooked). Our entrees were very disappointing. The tagine had no flavor, veal was overly vinegary, but the salmon again was a hit. Dessert was very good but the waiter forgot that we had ordered espresso as well. Wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- Lovely brunchGinDCVIPDined on 8/17/2014Enjoyed the brunch very much. Crowded as always, but kitchen kept up with the frenzy... Waitstaff not so much. A bit clueless with overlapping efforts but waiter, assistant manager, and busperson.
- pretty nice placeruthchrisDined on 8/17/2014Mercer Kitchen was pretty nice and relaxing. Our waitress was this statuesque model who came and checked on us often. Food was ok. Ambience was nice. It was nice when and quiet when we were there at 12. When we left at 2pm on a Sunday, the place was packed and a lot noisier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday BrunchEatNYCDined on 8/16/2014I made a noon reservation on a Saturday as I heard this place can get busy. My friend and I were seated immediately and there were plenty of tables open around us. By the end of our meal the place was a vibrant scene and had great energy going. The brunch menu has a lot of options for both breakfast and lunch style entrees. Sometimes brunch places are mainly breakfast items with a few lunch items here and there but that wasn't the case at MK. I recommended the tuna spring rolls and truffle fontina pizza. With drinks included the bill can be a bit pricey for brunch but that is to be expected at a trendy Soho spot. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Outstanding Service & FoodperfectbitesDined on 8/15/2014My NYC favorite! Cozy, romantic atmosphere, but also lots of energy. Food is to die for - oysters, fish, pizza, burger, desserts - all delicious! The service is outstanding. The staff goes out of their way to provide a memorable experience. Excellent wine list as well.Special Features:
- Last day of restaurant weekNewyorkerVIPDined on 8/15/2014We enjoyed the last day of New York restaurant week at Mercer Kitchen. The skate and salmon were excellent. THe presentation is interesting. I was disappointed in the service. The waiter spent most of the evening chatting at the server station while bus staff waited on us. I expected the server to return to the table between the order and check.Special Features:
- Could be better but still greatMarvilleDined on 8/15/2014I went here for the restaurant week lunch. First of all the service was great. The food had great flavor but was not executed wonderfully. My appetizer was tasty and interesting ( Never would've thought to combine corn and arugula on pizza) but it was a bit on the salty side. I had a burger and fries for my entree. The burger was a little under cooked for my liking (I was not asked how I'd like my burger done.) I usually like a strong medium, this was verging around medium rare. I was fine eating around the less done middle as my app filled me up and I still needed to save room for dessert which was a delicious molten chocolate cake. No complaints there. Overall I'd go back and try food from the regular menu before judging completely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good!FoodieFanDined on 8/15/2014Mercer's Kitchen is a go to for us each time we visit NYC and our latest visit was no exception. The food was fantastic (in my opinion the best burger in NYC) and the service efficient and pleasant. Consistently good and well worth the 'go to every time we visit' status.....Special Features:
- Perfect!PauxDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant is perfect for dining with friends. The food is good. I recommend ordering the pizza.Special Features:
- A place to forgetPaDyVIPDined on 8/14/2014So much for a new hot spot in the village! Everything was really average except for the nose level! I check energetic for lack of better option - but clearly if you like to have a conversation with the persons you are dining with, just forget about this cave!
- perfectrileyavesDined on 8/13/2014The best meal I've ever had was the Black Truffle Fontina cheese pizza here. The whole place was just a really awesome perfect environment that made the whole experience unforgettable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slightly disappointedwhaleDined on 8/12/2014In general, my family like this place and we alway have good time in dinner time. This time we tried for brunch for restaurant week. The burger is not very tasteable. We ordered 3 burgers set and we didn't finished at all. My family is quite disappointed.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Menu to DIE forAlyssa1023Dined on 8/10/2014I dined her with my girlfriend and we enjoyed the restaurant week menu, we started with the mesclun salad and the beet salad both great an good portion size. I had the burger for my entree and my friend had the chicken both were excellent. Dessert here was the best I have had yet!! Chocolate Cake and a blueberry white cake- how decadent!!! The Mercer Kitchen has restaurant week down to a science, a delicious one at that! Will absolutely be back before RW is over :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely perfect every timeHard2pleaseDined on 8/10/2014I am shocked at the bad reviews for this restaurant. We went to dinner on Sunday, August 10th and starting from the lady greeting us the moment we came in to the lovely hostess downstairs, to our beautiful server, it was nothing but charming and lovely service. The food was delicious and served promptly. I have also been here for lunch and there's nothing bad I can say. Always a home run. Perfect for a nice business lunch or a romantic dinner or drinks late in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perlaDined on 8/10/2014just not impressed with the food. it was no big deal for the price they charge.Special Features:
- HostessNYguestDined on 8/9/2014The manager (black lady) was extremely arrogant and pedant. She offered us a table where there was water on the floor, wet area, what could cause an accident to us or to the staff and was inconvenient with the hostess who told us to proceed to lower level as we had a reservation. Then, when we get there she was very impolite telling one of us to hera what she was ordering us to go. We will never come back there! Is it an Italian restaurant? supposed to be? Weak menu for the purpose. :(Special Features:
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014Great atmosphere and bar but from hostess to check service was awful. We arrived 20 minutes early - multiple tables empty. At our reservation time we inquired and they said they were clearing our table. They sat us at the table that was empty when we arrived! It never got better and the food wasn't memorable
- HOT AS HELL, NO AC IN AUGUST, UGGH!FoodLoverVIPDined on 8/9/2014I very rarely pan restaurants online, but I'm making an exception here. We had out of town relatives visiting and wanted to pick a special restaurant for a memorable meal for our group of 9. This meal was certainly memorable, but not in a good way. Although the food and service were both good, it was an awful experience. To put it simply, IT WAS HOT AS HELL. Despite our repeated requests to increase the air conditioning, it remained HOT in the corner in which we were seated. We were all fanning ourselves and drinking huge amounts of ice water. We had hoped to catch up and linger over a nice dinner. Instead, we ate quickly and went elsewhere for dessert. I felt embarrassed that I'd chosen Mercer Kitchen after this debacle. Unacceptable.
- NEXT LEVELjabakanDined on 8/9/2014A+ creative and eclectic food. Great location and $360 for dinner for 4 with a bottle of pinot "wine by the glass" but a true example of a great Calif pinot. Always ask to taste samples of the wine by the glass to see what you like before your order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Systems downCasualfoodieDined on 8/9/2014Went here at 10:30 Sat for breakfast ordered pancakes. The systems went down so it took 55mins for pancakes to be cooked! A waiter came to say the food would be up shortly and that the systems were down. 2nd waiter came by 10mins later to say it was on the grill. I inquired why the systems have anything to do with the food he said the kitchen wasn't getting the orders. Shouldn't the server had told the kitchen crew? Apparently he was new& not sure what to do. It took 55mins & the restaurant was not that busy. I am pregnant and was starving. At minimum they shld have given me a muffin or bread, but that didnt happen. Hospitality could have been better.Great spot & food is good but make sure the systems are up before you go!Special Features:
- VibaDined on 8/8/2014You always receive a great meal here and the service is great. Recommend highly.Special Features:
- Avoid the skate?AMFNYCDined on 8/8/2014Always enjoy Mercer but they seemed to be off their game on the skate at lunch last week. The service and everything else that we ordered was fine.
- Great dinnerAlyssa1023Dined on 8/7/2014We live in the soho neighborhood and we absolutely love the mercer kitchen for Sunday dinner. The carpaccio was excellent as always and the butterscotch pudding is our absolute favorite! Jean-George still has it after all these years!Special Features:
- Restaurant week switcherooPrimadonnaDined on 8/7/2014Went here after checking out the restaurant week menu but at the restaurant found they switched the Hake seen online with Salmon, which none of us liked. Ended up ordering from the regular dinner menu, but the food was excellent. The Hake was beautiful in its lovely wreath of baby greens and peas and so perfectly cooked. Other than the crazy loud noise level (we were fairly close to the bar) no complaints at all. Our server was just attentive enough and the blueberry cornbread dessert was heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foiled by Restaurant WeekrnorthDined on 8/7/2014I was worried due to Restaurant Week the place might be in mass-production mode. I called; they assured me I could order off the regular menu and that my experience would not be different due to Restaurant Week. Out of 9 total dishes (apps/entrees) we ordered, three were absolutely spectacular in typical Jean-Georges style. Phenomenal. Two were good/decent. Four, unfortunately, came out at room temperature, were either VERY tough, VERY overcooked (i.e. both) or just generally bad. I am a huge Jean-Georges fan and have had nearly perfect experiences at many of his other restaurants. This was the first disappointment. Waiter was also unattentive and did not know the wine list at all (som did, but really...wait staff needs to have a clue)
- Excellent food...slow serviceGirlstripDined on 8/7/2014My mom, sister and I ate here for lunch and the food was amazing. I recommend the roasted beets with goat cheese. Fabulous. My mom's omelette had goat cheese and was delicious. I would definitely recommend it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Spot25inNYDined on 8/7/2014This spot was suggested to me by a friend for my visit to NY for my 25th birthday, and I am still thanking her for the suggestion! The service was awesome, the food was amazing, and the overall ambiance was great! I had an amazing time and will definitely be back whenever I make it to NY again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningopentablebritVIPDined on 8/6/2014Great evening with friends here during restaurant week - food, service and cocktails all 5 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant and delicious!GiffVIPDined on 8/6/2014If you go only for the sushi appetizer, it's worth it. Great mains and cocktails too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs some helpbkheightstimDined on 8/4/2014First, the good: food is still delicious. Been here several times, but hadn't been back in a few years. Good to know that the quality of the food is still there. Both times I visited in the past two weeks, the food has been tasty The ambiance is still very NYC. Would be fun to bring folks who are visiting NYC and want to eat/drink in Soho. The bad: service. Just not up to par for a Jean-Georges restaurant. I don't expect 5-star service BUT I do expect some responsibility and respect. Bartender was argumentative and not very helpful. Plus he got our drink order wrong. I'll leave a note for the restaurant. We were given an old wine menu by our server. Wanted a wine that was no longer being served. No apologies. Didn't care.Special Features:
- Just okFirstTimersDined on 8/4/2014The restaurant is nice and the service very good. I order the hamburger and was just ok.