44 E Blithedale Avenue
Mill Valley, CA 94941Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bungalow44.com/
- Phone: 4153812500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Robert Price
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Ursula O'Connor 4153812500
A word from Bungalow 44
Bungalow 44 brings you the city to Mill Valley. Bungalow 44 serves contemporary Californian American food with an edge. Our wood oven grill adds wonderful flavors to our many grilled fish and steaks. Start with our great cocktails at the always fun bar, then enjoy our Heirloom tomato flatbread and more either in the private quiet fireplace room or in the buzz filled main restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Bungalow 44 - Best Restaurants in Mill Valley ›
Bungalow 44 reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (71)vibrant bar scene (69)fit for foodies (60)hot spot (44)special occasion (37)good for groups (24)romantic (21)notable wine list (16)kid-friendly (11)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Loved it!Luda84Dined on 12/20/2013I've always wanted to eat here and now that I have I'm upset that I waited so long to experience Bungalow 44! My friends and I had a fantastic meal, drinks and a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscale comfort food lively settingSeadogDined on 12/20/2013Lot of folks think of Mill Valley as stuffy and pretentious. Forget-About-It. Diverse crowd,from after work locals to older couples. Don't expect the sedate quality of d'Angelo's, yet the Bungalow is inviting, woodsy, warm. Comfort food dishes likes house made fried chicken, burgers etc looked good. We went for the California cuisine choices and were impressed. Grilled calamari was tender and best I've had this side of Firenze; followed by roasted beets with cannelli beans and greens. Never knew I like beets! We finished up by splitting the seared ahi over blue 'rice cakes'. Service was attentive but not fussy. If you don't mind a bit of volume enjoy the Bungalow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All in all a fun night outLoopDined on 12/20/2013I've visited on a fun date night dinner, drinks with friends and a family meal with the kids and Bungalow 44 delivered each time. There is an energetic and festive atmosphere that masks children nicely (and there is a kids menu to keep them happy). I was pleasantly surprised to be asked how I like my salmon (since I do prefer it more moist and under cooked) but it was sadly over done and dry. I'm not really a picky eater and wouldn't normally have been that disappointed but by asking and not delivering it was definitely a let down. My husband enjoyed the filet and my mom liked the kickin' chicken though. The cozy, yet vibrant, atmosphere made up for any disappointment I had with my food selection on this particular evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local FavouriteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/19/2013Went there for business Christmas dinner but also eat here regularly, Bartenders are attentive, knowledgable and interesting... Our Favourite appetizers, Tuna Carpaccio, Gnocci and also this last visit the oysters were excellent.... The flatbreads are always very tasty, my favorite entre is the Wild Boar pappardelle , plenty of meat, good meat to pasta ratio....A fun restaurant, great place to eat at the bar or spend more time eating at a table, the servers are always really nice even when the place is packed.... Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Impressed my Friends.KarlRDined on 12/14/2013I brought some friends from out of town and enjoy great food. They loved this restaurant in the vibrant scene.... And the chicken was beyond great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can't go wrong..KellyGDined on 12/14/2013with Bungalow44. Everything was superb from the food to the service to the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/12/2013Everything was great! From the food to the service! Thank you!I would recommend this to a friend.
- I think we got them on an off nightmslaterVIPDined on 12/7/2013It is really loud and busy frequently there but even at 5:45 it was really loud. The hostess really puts us off right from the get go like we are in the wrong place. That is consistent each time we have been. Its really expensive and our service this time was not good. We have had luck there but seems like weekends are the wrong time to go.
- Must have been an off nightDKMULVIPDined on 12/6/2013We have eating at Bungalow 44 several times, and always enjoyed the food. Unfortunately, our latest visit was not up to par. We ordered the Patron Peppers appetizer, which we have had several times. Usually the peppers are really tasty and moderately spicy. This time the peppers were so hot that our mouths were burning. Our waiter apologized, and noted that he and other staffers had tasted them earlier and agreed they were too hot. Given that, they should have either not served them, or at least should have told us the peppers were particularly hot this time. I ordered the steak frites, which I have had before. The meat was tough and fatty. My wife had the fish special which was somewhat dry and definitely not special.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the eveningKKCKsDined on 12/5/2013It was my wife's birthday and we invited friends. My wife selected this restaurant for the kicking chicken and enjoyed it again. We all enjoyed our food and being in the "extra" room the noise level was just fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need staff educationKumanomiDined on 12/1/2013My pork loin was great. I think it might have been the best I have had ever. The artichoke appetizer and French fries were great too. However, the tomato sauce on ravioli was way too sweet and the fish in their fish tacos were...not good. Also, I had a server who didn't care about my nut allergy. He served me a salad with nuts---after I specifically told him to take it out and I stated the reason why. Another server took it back and gave me new one. Later, I ordered the chocolate cake with the walnuts on the side for my friend. This time, the whole walnuts were on the side dish... BUT the cake had tons of nuts in it. After the first bite, I was horrified. I didn't have enough to cause allergic reaction. But too close.Special Features:
- The restaurant is not quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/25/2013The restaurant is not quite at the level it used to be, which was 4+ stars. The fried chicken is fine, but nothing special. The kale/cabbage slaw is inedible - reminded me of shredded newspaper. Cauliflower soup was good, but hot soup poured in a cold bowl, makes tepid soup. Couldn't get anyone's attention to send it back to heat up. Told the waitress when we got our entrees, and she said she would tell the kitchen, but that was the end of that. The ribeye was good, and our waitress was very helpful in making substitutions due to allergies. Hopefully this restaurant will be back to its better times from the past soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night in the mainxxxxxxxVIPDined on 11/23/2013Saturday night in the main dining room is NOISY! Hint: If you want to have a conversation at a reasonable level, try to get seated in the adjacent room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013The food was very good but a bit pricey considering the service was lacking. Some dishes were very moderately priced while the specials listed no price and were very expensive. I don't mind paying a lot for exceptional food plus atmosphere and most importantly service. I did not feel "special" at all at this restaurant and even though we came at a time when it was not busy at all our table was not given much attention. We had to ask for many things and there just wasn't that feel, "We are so glad you stopped by!", that you see at many other establishments.Special Features:
- Solid Mill Vallery FareOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/6/2013Not only great for adults, but reasonable and solid Kids menu.Special Features:
- FunOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/5/2013I always have a great time at Bungalow. Hip, good food and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner choice for small groupSfreiDined on 11/4/2013In a county with limited choices Bungalow 44 is up there with the Buckeye, Poggio, Pico, etc. Food, environment, and service are excellent. Only negative is no large round tables for large group conversation. Rectangular tables for parties of eight do not cut it in a county with the oldest population in California. But great for 1-4 persons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMRadhaDined on 11/1/2013We always go back bemuse we are never disappointed! Love the friend chicken.Special Features:
- first time...LocaleaterOGVIPDined on 10/30/2013it was really good. the waitress was very helpful and funny and the service was prompt. i can't say too much about the food because i only had a salad and a drink, but the beet salad was very good. the butterscotch pudding was amazing. the ambiance was nice. overall it was good and the menu looks interesting enough that i will return for a full meal!Special Features:
- This restaurant has gone downhill!!romantique440Dined on 10/30/2013I used to enjoy this restaurant. However, on our last visit, we noticed the prices were at least 20% higher, the portions were 50% smaller, the noise was so loud we had to yell to hear each other over the drinking crowd and the cuts of meat were fatty. Moreover, my husband has a health condition where he cannot have carbs. So, when we asked if we could swap out his rice for more vegetables, they said they would have to charge for that (keep in mind, his entree was already $28). AND, to add insult to injury, when his entree arrived, the additional vegetables were nowhere to be found. So sad when yet another restaurant in the already restaurant-poor Marin County goes down the tubes.
- Great food – but pricey.GnatDined on 10/30/2013We'd never been to Bungalow 44 but decided to try it very early one evening. The service was friendly and prompt. The cocktails were excellent, and there was a good choice of wines. The menu selection would please a range of appetites, though all the choices were fairly expensive. It's hard to think of this place as "kid friendly," unless one limited the meal to a hamburger. As the evening progressed, the place got very noisy, with considerable bar action and an influx of families. I'll make special mention of the staff handling of my credit card which, on departing, I'd I left on our table. Needless to say, this was a worry. But it had been laid away safely, and I was able to recover it from a very polite "Ursela" the very next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.Eat2muchDined on 10/26/2013Excellent food and service. Looking forward to our next dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food at Bungalow 44JulieDined on 10/24/2013Got right in with our reservation. Drinks arrived promptly. Requested substitution for a side dish was easily handled. Yummy desserts were hard to choose from. It's not as noisy in the smaller back room. Good ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BungalowMVTJDined on 10/18/2013Always reliably great food and service. Fun setting in beautiful Mill Valley. Great excuse to get out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseScottVIPDined on 10/11/2013We picked this restaurant based on location alone, not knowing anything about it. We were happily surprised at how delicious everything was. We had salads, steak and short ribs. All superb. Two minor complaints: our cocktail waitress never cracked a smile, and the ribeye comes with a very small potatoe side dish. But these are little quibbles. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a mistake!MarinDinerVIPDined on 10/9/2013Went with friends who wanted to go there. My wife's salad was tasteless and I had the special grilled cheese sandwich that was soggy. The cheese came from a package. Our friends ordered the short ribs which were pretty good. I ordered the squash soup which was pasty and tasteless. Dessert was likewise lacking flavor. The bignets were spongy and needed tons of sauce and the butterscotch pudding had no flavor. I think my additional complaint was that the food was heavy and there was too much on the plate. HOWEVER, the servers (plural) were a delight and very attentive.
- Vibrant Mood & FoodMikeDined on 10/4/2013This was our first visit to Bungalow 44 - on a Friday night. Reservation was for 8:45 and the room still was full and buzzing when we arrived. (We came 25 minutes early, got a drink at the bar, and were seated 5 minutes early). Steak tartare was among the best I've ever had. I had to try the Kickin' Fried Chicken since it gets such rave reviews and it did not disappoint. Luckily we saved room for dessert and had the Beignets. Amazing. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit to Bungalow 44RobertDined on 9/30/2013Came here with family for my birthday. Food was delicious and service was equally good. Only snag was getting a salted margarita when I ordered no salt. I tried the Red & White cocktail, a margarita with Fresno chile in it. It was very spicy so be warned. The kickin' fried chicken lived up to its good reputation. Nicely spiced and the light coating was not greasy. Along with the mashed Yukons and kale slaw, the sides were as good as the chicken. Perhaps the kale slaw was even best thing on the plate! The party of 4 split desserts: the butterscotch pudding and bungalow beignets with 2 kinds of dipping sauce, were amazing. Looking forward to coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was very friendlydavidVIPDined on 9/25/2013Service was very friendly but not overly solicitous which is appreciated. Menu quite varied-something for all tastes. The poached black cod was fresh, flavorful and generous portioned. Grilled octopus salad was delightful-done just right. Front dining room, where the crowded bar is can be noisy; ask for table in the back dining room where the fireplace is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy overrated sports bardedeVIPDined on 9/21/2013It was very loud and difficult to hear. It's a lot of money to pay to shout during dinner. The food is average and expensive.Special Features:
- Great restaurant for specioccasionsLuv2eatVIPDined on 9/17/2013Fabulous food. Quite noisy, but much quieter in the outside room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SorryInterestedpartyVIPDined on 9/11/2013The cooks had an off night apparently - only the gnocchi was"good". Snap peas were nothing special - greasy in fact. Brussels sprout starter in edible. The server David - was super - and management comped us for what we told them was not good. It was busy and has been part if Mill Valley for years so most of the time things must go right? They seem to gather a special occasion larger table party and a sports bar crowd.
- Our food was tasty, greatMarink9Dined on 9/10/2013Our food was tasty, great and innovative appetizers but the menu is very heavy comfort foods. This is not a place for health conscious folks!Special Features:
- No mo' lobster spaghetti!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/7/2013Sadly, lobster spaghetti is no longer on the Fri-Sat menu, which I also have to sadly admit is one of the main reasons we ventured to 44. We hope it returns, and when it does, so will we. The food is still quite good, and we had a good evening, but there are a lot of other restaurants that offer food just as tasty at a similar price. Bring back the lobster!Special Features:
- Just ok foodCutiepieDined on 9/1/2013We ordered the flatbread pizza and fried artichoke hearts for appetizers. In light of the reviews, I expected something grand, but it was just ok. We both ordered steak for dinner and this was well prepared. But without a view or particularly nice ambiance, I cannot see going back for dinner. The price was high for what was offered.
- A terrific restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2013Great food, great service. Bar is so busy that if you sit in area close to bar their butts are right in back of you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No concept of serviceruthVIPDined on 8/31/2013The waitress had no idea of what an aperitif was. The bar did not carry sherry. The waitress thought steak tatare was fried steak. Service was first too slow, then too fast. Half way through our first course, the second course arrived. They took it back, then brought it out again and the waitress removed my plate of food still unfinished. I could go on and on. We live in the area and will never go back. They do not compare with Buckeye or Sushiran, which collaborate administratively with them.
- great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/27/2013I go here all the time as it's one of the best restaurants in Marin. Everything we get is usually very good to great and they make excellent cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good , but TOO noisy .LuvChineseFdDined on 8/27/2013No wonder I have not gone back there in 9 months to a year. 6:00pm reservation & by 7:15 I could not hear my friend from across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2013Loved the food. Appetizers were amazing; try the artichoke fritters (yum). Shaved brussel sprouts salad was delicious, A bit noisy inside because a busy bar, but we asked to be moved to the covered patio area and that was perfect. All five of us enjoyed our entrees as well.Special Features: