44 E Blithedale Avenue
Mill Valley, CA 94941Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bungalow44.com/
- Phone: 4153812500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Robert Price
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Ursula O'Connor 4153812500
A word from Bungalow 44
Bungalow 44 brings you the city to Mill Valley. Bungalow 44 serves contemporary Californian American food with an edge. Our wood oven grill adds wonderful flavors to our many grilled fish and steaks. Start with our great cocktails at the always fun bar, then enjoy our Heirloom tomato flatbread and more either in the private quiet fireplace room or in the buzz filled main restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Bungalow 44 - Best Restaurants in Mill Valley ›
Bungalow 44 reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (70)vibrant bar scene (66)fit for foodies (56)hot spot (39)special occasion (35)good for groups (23)notable wine list (19)romantic (17)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- loud and priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014We made a reservation to have a nice dinner for 4 people. It was so loud, and they sat us right next to the bar. The food was good but the prices outrageous. We spent $240 on dinner for 4 and that was just with 3 drinks. Won't be going back, unless I'm suddenly single and need to meet other single people. Its definitely a hot spot with loud people sitting all around us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014The place was a zoo, and extremely noisy. Because of the crowds, the service suffered. The salad fork was not replaced, for example. We had been to Bungalow 44 previously for a much better experience. I'd say if you want to converse with the other members of your party, don't go on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- MsmootsieDined on 5/24/2014Great fried chicken, mixed seafood was really tasty as was the pasta. The disappointment was the steak and the chicken thighs. My husband ordered the steak and was expecting a nice thick cut, but this was not the case. As for the chicken thighs $15, the most expensive of the appetizers, and a very small portion. The service was very good and all in all we did enjoy ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 796 reviews are from the Bungalow 44 reviews archive.
- fallen downgabberVIPDined on 5/16/2014Restaurant has fallen .This used to be our favorite.We felt rushed.The moment I put my fork down the plate was gone by a hovering bus boy.The matte d was also looking into the room constantly.The food was ok but not as good as before. The drinks were good and the overall appearance fine They need to pay much more attention i f they are to regain form.The oysters came with some kind of ketchup--ugh and their was no mignonette sauce--had to ask. Will not rush backSpecial Features:
- Always ConsistentSoupLoverVIPDined on 5/11/2014We have never had a meal that was not prepared and served to perfection. The Kickin' Chicken is always a standout.Special Features:
- great find in mill valleylouisbettenDined on 5/10/2014this place has great food, good wine list. only downside is it gets noisy when its busier like a Friday or Saturday nite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was "ehhh"!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/9/2014It was "ehh". I've bend going to this restaurant for years but good quality seems to be going down. The portion size is smaller. Had the short ribs, small but flavorful. No sign of any vegetables that was supposed to come with it. Service was lackluster.Special Features:
- No substitutions!CynthiaVIPDined on 5/9/2014I took a friend to Bungalow 44 for her birthday. We both ordered salads, entrees and wine, but when I asked the waiter if he could substitute the broccolini served on the chicken entree for the peas and carrots served on my entree, he said yes but there is a charge for doing that. I was surprised by that. For me it wasn't the money, it was the principle, so I told him to just leave the vegetables off my plate. For some reason he must of taken that interchange personally because he pretty much ignored me for the rest of the evening. If he came to the table he was very cool and only addressed my friend. It put a chill on the evening for both me and my friend.Special Features:
- Delicious, yet againsinicalgrlDined on 5/2/2014Bungalow never lets me down. it is so nice to have a place in my neighborhood I can walk to and take friends where I know I am going to have a consistently excellent dining experience. I do prefer to sit in the separate dining room because the dining around the bar can get very loud but it's just because everyone is having a good time enjoying the great drinks from the bartenders. Everything we ate was delicious and Ian took wonderful care of us. I look forward to my next Bungalow meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedGizmoDined on 4/26/2014Was looking forward to a nice dining experience but the food was mediocre and the presentation was unappealing. My date and I had the tuna and the salmon. I couldn't recommend it based on those two dishes. The noise level made it hard to hear the server. They do have a very good wine list.
- Isn't as good as it used to beMVKatDined on 4/25/2014I hate to write this review because this has been one of our favorite places to dine over the years. However, on the last two or three occasions these past few months, we noticed the food was not up to par and we were quite disappointed. Perhaps it is partly because the place is buzzing these days and they are rushing the food out. The gnocchi appetizer was pan-fried, dense and served to us burnt and its sauce was thick and pasty. The mushroom and farro dish was too salty and swimming in oil. The salmon was overcooked and overall, the dishes were not plated with care so the food did not look very appetizing. We hope they can get it together soon with the food because the atmosphere is great and we really do not want to find new go-to spot.Special Features:
- greenhagenDined on 4/25/2014Food was delicious and ample. We were comfortable and the service was good. Everything we tasted (sharing dishes) was tasty. Nice selection on the menu. We particularly enjoyed the beer (Pliney the Elder) over the wine . Servers were friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good movexxxxxxxVIPDined on 4/25/2014We still love the place but adding many more tables has made it way more crowded than before. Next: asking people to sit on each other's laps?Special Features:
- Fantastic Dinner Spot!BakeryproDined on 4/24/2014Had dinner with clients. Every course and each plate were all great! Clients, who live in the area, had never been, but assured me that they were coming back. I will definitely be bringing clients here next time I am in the area. Bring friends an family. You wil not be diappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's the protein?Jardines2Dined on 4/20/2014Husband and I stopped in for dinner after movies. Marin Martini was tasty but was warm temp - not cold. We were looking forward to the fried chicken. Chicken was greasy and only 1 piece of the 3 pieces had white meat. The other 2 pieces were all skin with very little meat. It was greasy and a big disappointment. The mac cheese was on point and delicious. Butterscotch pudding was a welcome treat. Our server was pleasant but never asked us how our meal was.Special Features:
- Easter DinnerMVDinnerDined on 4/20/2014We've been to Bungalow 44 before and were very happy with both the food we had and the staff who were very thoughtful and professional. We wanted to take my parents out who have impaired hearing and when I requested a table in the back (by the fire) they accommodated us beautifully. We don't get to visit with our parents often so when we do, we really want that attention to detail and Bungalow 44 came through with shining colors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/19/2014Been a while since ive been there. Server seemed stressed and the food was not of the standard i recall. Overall, experience was ok, but not what i expected.Special Features:
- Great menu/good serviceMontfordmomDined on 4/18/2014Six friends met up at Bungalow 44 on a Friday evening to celebrate birthdays and an anniversary. We were seated promptly in the center of the dining room and our service the entire evening was excellent. The menu choices suited all of us; we ranged from the fried chicken "favorite" to a large chicken salad to a vegetarian entree to grilled salmon--and each of us was more than satisfied. We loved the sides on every dish, and especially enjoyed a lovely Petit Syrah. We followed with desserts (butterscotch pudding and raisin cake) and coffee, which were all delicious. Our only complaint is the noise level. It's just not possible to enjoy a conversation across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go To PlaceHassyDined on 4/12/2014Whether we sit at a table or our favorite corner spot at the bar, Bungalow 44 never disappoints. We consistently get a great drink and a great meal there with dependably good service.Then it's an easy walk around the corner to the movies. Perfect.Special Features:
- Cool vide and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/10/2014We have been here a few times now, always good foodSpecial Features:
- Fabulous Time!JewelDined on 4/5/2014Our Friday evening birthday celebration couldn't have started any better than the great food and drinks at Bungalow 44. Our server, Tyler was friendly and attentive. The GM, Ursula was the most gracious and generous hostess. It was the first time that 4 out of the 6 people in my party had ever been and they were so glad I picked it for our dinner. They loved it and said they'd all go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a home run!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/29/2014The steak tartare is amazing, the short ribs were very good, but not alot of meat when you get only one small rib.. The chocolate "souffle" dessert was disappointing.. a souffle purist would have sent it back as it was nothing more than a pre-cooked cake of sorts. This restaurant is on the LOUD side, so if you are looking for an intimate setting this is not it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedCiaoHoundDined on 1/17/2014Great service, lovely meal, trouble-free reservation. Fewer cougars than I had been let to believe. I give it an A.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to Bungalow 44 forcaseyDined on 1/16/2014We went to Bungalow 44 for the first time for my partners birthday and fell in love with it! Ambience is nice, quiet, and warm. Our server was nice and efficient but the food was out of this world!! The hamachi crudo was as unique as it was amazing!Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/8/2014Typical for Marin. Average overall. We frequent this place simply due to proximity but I wouldn't consider this a destination. Why can't Marin Co. do better? Ho-hum, meh...I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT AND INTERESTINGbigedDined on 1/7/2014The dishes are well prepared and interesting. Every entrée on the menu is appealing. Our server was friendly and knew the menu when we asked about the preparation of one dishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bungalow 44 has become a favoriteRadhaDined on 12/29/2013Bungalow 44 has become a favorite of ours. I love the kicken fried chicken and always order it without the kick. Now, our grandchildren are growing up and it is where they want to go! Always a YUM experience.Special Features:
- Great Family RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/28/2013Went to Bungalow 44 for our family Christmas dinner and gathering. Good food, fun atmosphere and great service. Can't get better than that.Special Features:
- AwesomeHelenDined on 12/24/2013Staff Friendly - Food was terrific, great Martini's - off the hook desert. I will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!JK07Dined on 12/23/2013We had a fabulous birthday dinner at Bungalow. The food was wonderful. They had great vegetarian dishes too. Service impeccable. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Loved it!Luda84Dined on 12/20/2013I've always wanted to eat here and now that I have I'm upset that I waited so long to experience Bungalow 44! My friends and I had a fantastic meal, drinks and a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscale comfort food lively settingSeadogDined on 12/20/2013Lot of folks think of Mill Valley as stuffy and pretentious. Forget-About-It. Diverse crowd,from after work locals to older couples. Don't expect the sedate quality of d'Angelo's, yet the Bungalow is inviting, woodsy, warm. Comfort food dishes likes house made fried chicken, burgers etc looked good. We went for the California cuisine choices and were impressed. Grilled calamari was tender and best I've had this side of Firenze; followed by roasted beets with cannelli beans and greens. Never knew I like beets! We finished up by splitting the seared ahi over blue 'rice cakes'. Service was attentive but not fussy. If you don't mind a bit of volume enjoy the Bungalow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All in all a fun night outLoopDined on 12/20/2013I've visited on a fun date night dinner, drinks with friends and a family meal with the kids and Bungalow 44 delivered each time. There is an energetic and festive atmosphere that masks children nicely (and there is a kids menu to keep them happy). I was pleasantly surprised to be asked how I like my salmon (since I do prefer it more moist and under cooked) but it was sadly over done and dry. I'm not really a picky eater and wouldn't normally have been that disappointed but by asking and not delivering it was definitely a let down. My husband enjoyed the filet and my mom liked the kickin' chicken though. The cozy, yet vibrant, atmosphere made up for any disappointment I had with my food selection on this particular evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local FavouriteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/19/2013Went there for business Christmas dinner but also eat here regularly, Bartenders are attentive, knowledgable and interesting... Our Favourite appetizers, Tuna Carpaccio, Gnocci and also this last visit the oysters were excellent.... The flatbreads are always very tasty, my favorite entre is the Wild Boar pappardelle , plenty of meat, good meat to pasta ratio....A fun restaurant, great place to eat at the bar or spend more time eating at a table, the servers are always really nice even when the place is packed.... Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Impressed my Friends.KarlRDined on 12/14/2013I brought some friends from out of town and enjoy great food. They loved this restaurant in the vibrant scene.... And the chicken was beyond great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can't go wrong..KellyGDined on 12/14/2013with Bungalow44. Everything was superb from the food to the service to the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/12/2013Everything was great! From the food to the service! Thank you!I would recommend this to a friend.
- I think we got them on an off nightmslaterVIPDined on 12/7/2013It is really loud and busy frequently there but even at 5:45 it was really loud. The hostess really puts us off right from the get go like we are in the wrong place. That is consistent each time we have been. Its really expensive and our service this time was not good. We have had luck there but seems like weekends are the wrong time to go.
- Must have been an off nightDKMULVIPDined on 12/6/2013We have eating at Bungalow 44 several times, and always enjoyed the food. Unfortunately, our latest visit was not up to par. We ordered the Patron Peppers appetizer, which we have had several times. Usually the peppers are really tasty and moderately spicy. This time the peppers were so hot that our mouths were burning. Our waiter apologized, and noted that he and other staffers had tasted them earlier and agreed they were too hot. Given that, they should have either not served them, or at least should have told us the peppers were particularly hot this time. I ordered the steak frites, which I have had before. The meat was tough and fatty. My wife had the fish special which was somewhat dry and definitely not special.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the eveningKKCKsDined on 12/5/2013It was my wife's birthday and we invited friends. My wife selected this restaurant for the kicking chicken and enjoyed it again. We all enjoyed our food and being in the "extra" room the noise level was just fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.