Exchange Street Bistro
67 Exchange Street
Malden, MA 02148Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Exchange Street Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.exchangestreetbistro.com/
- Phone: 7813220071x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Exchange Street Bistro
Welcome to Exchange Street Bistro, an inviting, exciting contemporary bistro located in the heart of Malden Center. Just steps away from the city’s T-stop and several new luxury condominiums, Exchange Street Bistro creates an upscale neighborhood feel for those looking for an outstanding dining experience. With an extensive and creative menu, Exchange Street Bistro’s chef’s offer trend setting and savory dishes at reasonable prices. Our staff provides superior service along with exceptional knowledge of our menu, and extensive wine list. Therefore, ensuring our guests an experience that will far exceed all their expectations. The warm and charming décor of Exchange Street Bistro, is enhanced with dramatic lighting, showcasing everything from our beautifully crafted granite bar and tables to our intimate high back booths through out the dining room. The fully stocked bar and spacious lounge creates a stylish and vibrant atmosphere with an exquisite martini menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Exchange Street Bistro - Best Restaurants in Malden ›
Exchange Street Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (15)fit for foodies (14)vibrant bar scene (14)special occasion (13)hot spot (10)romantic (9)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (6)notable wine list (5)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Never disappoints. Menu isMaryTVIPDined on 1/4/2014Never disappoints. Menu is always complex and absolutely delicious. One of my very favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing restaurantjgjgDined on 1/4/2014Such a amazing find. It was delicious and the service was impeccable. Will be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only complaint I haveErinDined on 12/31/2013The only complaint I have about my dining experience was that it was very noisy in the restaurant and mainly that I ordered a scallop dish that was $20+ that came with 3 scallops! That was disappointing. Appetizers were great though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's EveBlancheDined on 12/31/2013Three course prix-fix menu had excellent choices, prepared beautifully, and the portions were just right, allowing each course to be enjoyed and finished. The service was not rushed considering it was New Year's Eve, relaxed and attentive. We have eaten several times here as it is in our neighborhood and have never been disappointed. I always recommend this restaurant, and will go back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, & service. AlthoughMissyDined on 12/31/2013Good food, & service. Although on website stated you could order from menu on New Years Eve, a special menu offered, very limited no beef or pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a great spot withJimMartinDined on 12/21/2013This is a great spot with great food, exceptional list of well-made martinis and a decent wine list. It can be a bit noisy at times, but we feel that just adds to the fun of going to Exchange St.Special Features:
- No ComplaintsUcook1eatDined on 12/19/2013Went there once before their minor renovation and looked even better after removing tables to create more bar scene. Been to many dinners, lunches, and functions since. Food was great as well as the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findWMB1Dined on 12/14/2013My wife and I were expecting to go into the city for her birthday but then due to a snowstorm, opted to stay closer to home. Best decision we made. We ended up making a meal from the appetizer menu. We each got a French onion soup which was very nicely done. Wife thought it was a little salty but it was fine for me. I thought it was just competently executed. We then went on to the short ribs which were fabulous, broccoli rabe spring rolls and an elegant pizza. By the time the pizza came we were more than full so that came home. My only negative reaction to the place was the broccoli rabe. They were very nicely done but the broccoli has a bitter taste. Wish they had used another type of green instead. But overall, loved the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been to Exchange St BistrowmkotDined on 12/14/2013Been to Exchange St Bistro a number of times years ago and food was always outstanding. Went about 3-4 months ago (for the 1st time in about 2 years) and was very disappointed. Everything was way too salty. Figured we would try it again and this time it was better, though not stellar like it used to be. Had the tapas appetizer - should have asked for the cost as it was $25.00 and almost fell over when I got the bill. Had the rib eye entry, not cooked enough, asparagus was good, potatoes with Gorgonzola were almost inedible. Wife loved her tuna entry and soup app. Other couple were satisfied with their entrees as well. Drinks were fabulous as always! In any event, I'll go back again as it is still one of the nicest places in the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad to find!LaBebeDined on 12/6/2013Having recently moved to Malden, I was excited to try Exchange Bistro. I liked how the bar/lounge was a bit separate from the dining area we were in so that the noise didn't travel. The martini list is awesome - I had something called a Fuzzy Hippo which was pineapple-y and delish. Would love to try the rest as well. We had a Amazon-local deal which helped with the bottom line a bit. We started with the mussels and I had the steak frites and my bf had the lobster mac & cheese, both good. Food took a little longer to come out, but our waitress stopped by to tell us that, so we didn't feel forgotten. Our waitress was a bit "chilly" but effective, just could have been a little warmer. Also she never asked if I wanted another drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnersPhilVIPDined on 12/6/2013Work in Malden whenever xway is bad I head over here. Always a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Treska1913Dined on 11/20/2013We had their three course menu deal and the food was delicious and the service was excellent. Food was spaced between courses and was served at right temperature. We have eaten there many times and love it. The bar area was expanded and always seems full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been here before....foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2013We have been here before....food is consistently good, although sometimes a bit slow coming out of the kitchen. The martinis here are wonderful...well made and priced very fairly, unlike many downtown Boston restaurants. It is a very busy place and the noise level is quite high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good choiceMaggieDined on 11/10/2013We've been to ESB several times, and have hosted a large group event here as well, and every time have been more than pleased with our experience. The menu offers a variety of proteins and cuisines to satisfy every palate and the taste and presentation never disappoint. The drinks are large and priced fairly. The space is modern, yet cozy with the dim lighting and always spotlessly clean. Host/hostess, bartender, waitstaff are all friendly and efficient. I think this restaurant works hard to keep up their "Boston vibe" image, and they succeed on all levels. This is a great restaurant and I appreciate their efforts.Special Features:
- Two thumbs uplovefoodDined on 11/9/2013I went out for my birthday with a group of 12. The food was amazing and the service was awesome! She knew the menu so well and recommended great food. Very pleases with Exchange Street Bistro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience!bgrumpyjVIPDined on 11/9/2013I go here with my wife at least once a month, we love to try the specials and the selection of food is excellent. They seem to draw a nice mixed crowd and always find the atmosphere to be energetic. Waitstaff are very professional and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but not for quiet dinning.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2013the food and service was great. I took my wife there for our anniversary. drinks were fantastic and the waitress was great. The only drawback would be if your looking for a romantic dinner, this place is too LOUD! I could hardly hear my wife unless she was shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchDanielleDined on 10/20/2013My family and I brought my mother here for brunch for her birthday. We all liked our meals. The menu for lunch selections could have included more options. My father felt as if his lobster in the lobster omelette was too chewy. Other than that the food was delicious (especially the corn bread!). The waitress was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Malden?ktkadishVIPDined on 10/19/2013Living in the suburbs, we've only thought of Malden as a place to catch the T into the city for a game or concert/play/etc. Having a OpenTable gift check, we decided on a whim to try Exchange Street Bistro; were we ever surprised! Greeted by the host and hostess, the restaurant has a vibrant bar scene. Taken to our table in a separate dining area, we were afforded a quieter area with intimate setting. Throughout the meal, we were continuously impressed with the service (staff knowledge of menu, attentiveness toward us, and serve on the left/take on the right). Food was quite surprising as well. Who knew you could find a great meal in downtown Malden? It was a wonderful evening with appetizing plates that we would expect in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of a restaurant.MBCNDined on 10/18/2013A neighborhood gem of a restaurant with consistently great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but so LOUD!GalaxyQueenVIPDined on 10/5/2013The minute we walked in the door we were assaulted with NOISE. The bar is a wide open space with high ceilings and wood floors, and sound carries. I thought the adjacent dining area would be quiet. No such luck! The function room next to the dining room is separated by only a curtain! There was a surprise party with at least 50 people in there. We had to yell to hear each other talk. Very unpleasant. Our waitress Trisha, was fantastic. Very accommodating. The food was better than expected. My seared tuna appetizer was fresh and delicious, and my sea bass dinner special was excellent. My only complaint was that the vegetables were not hot and the carrots were almost raw. But the fish was hot and very tasty. Go for the food, not the ambiance.Special Features:
- consistently yummyfoodiegroupDined on 10/4/2013Exchange Street Bistro is our go-to neighborhood destination when we want a distinctive dinner or just a great burger. Two in our group of 4 enjoyed a drink at the bar before we were seated for dinner. The "Fuzzy Hippo" was the star. Two ordered the grilled scallops that were delicious. One ordered the special, salted encrusted fish. The fish was great, but needed a side besides pinch of arugula. The thick-cut pork chop was a good size and "amazing". We ate the fresh rolls, the men ordered salads and we had two desserts with coffee after dinner, however we were not "stuffed". So if you are looking for "I need a doggy-bag" portions, you will be disappointed. The prices are fair and we will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Sunday BrunchGatorGinDined on 9/22/2013I was pleasantly surprised by my Sunday Brunch experience at the Exchange Bistro. The Bloody Marys were excellent and our entrees were full of flavor. Everyone was nice and the place is beautiful - the party rooms are definitely a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable LunchCharlesVIPDined on 9/21/2013This restaurant advertises a lot in the Boston papers, so we tried it one recent Saturday for lunch. Made a reservation although it turned out one wasn't needed that day, as at 1:00, except for 2 or 3 people at the bar, we were the only diners. Later two more tables arrived. The food and atmosphere were fine, but being in an empty restaurant is not the best atmosphere. The host did explain when seating us that they are really a night spot. The other thing that did not excite us was that while the restaurant itself is relatively nice and fresh, the entire surrounding area is for lease or boarded up buildings. Not the best atmosphere unfortunately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food....alejandraDined on 9/13/2013the ambience is very energetic, food and drinks are outstanding..i love this place..nice restaurant to go out with friends or as a couple...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant find withJimMartinDined on 8/31/2013Great restaurant find with a wonderful wine list and some great menu choices. Atmosphere was nice, bistro style and comfortable, but with a bit of a noise level initially which quieted down a bit later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome MartinisOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2013The martinis here are the best and they have so many to choose from you're sure to find one that you really enjoy. The food here is solid, though prices can get a little high depending on what you order. The steak, scallops, and lobster mac were quite enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for date night or groupSBBohVIPDined on 8/7/2013I have been here numerous times and it never disappoints. I have been on date night with my husband, double date with friends and most recently a group dinner. Each time the service is great, the food is delicious and the menu is always new and exciting. This is a neighborhood gem and free parking!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2013We were very happy with our dinner and service. Great food. No delays. The bar is a bit noisy for diners. But probably a great bar to hang out at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ESB - Great meeting placeMannophoneVIPDined on 7/10/2013The vibe at ESB is fun, a great place to meet, and much of the menu is delicious. However, too many TVs distracted me from what is very good food! The salmon or haddock- both were super!. Menu lacks a simple green salad w/ tomatoes or a steamed green veg like broccoli. Service, while delightful was very slow from the bar. Worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noise levelshermyDined on 6/29/2013While the food and service were very nice, the private party room is only separated from the dining area by a curtain, and the noise level from the party taking place on the other side of the curtain was distracting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2013The food is still amazing and very thoughtful. I was disappointed that the place seems to have turned more event centric. We hadn't been in a couple of years and I was looking forward to sitting in the big cozy booths. Now the place seems more like an function hall with tables setup - Chinese restaurant style. It was loud and no longer romantic.Special Features:
- Stopped in for a late lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2013Stopped in for a late lunch so the restaurant was not crowded. Ordered the Salmon medium and it was cooked to perfection. As always, Martinis were great and service was very attentive. Our waitress was also a great bartender!!! Look forward to going back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food close byOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/16/2013Had heard of this place . was looking for vegetarian and meat/ fish options for my family. they had it all going on , and we ended up eating fish ! well most of us. There was something on the menu for everyone. the wine list was good, but most of us opted for the tasty and delightful martinis. . ( good beer available too ) The other important thing was they TOOK RESERVATIONS . I DO NOT like restaurants that tell you to call ahead when you want to come in . There is something about knowing a seat is waiting for you when you arrive !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service andgirlsnightoutDined on 6/14/2013Excellent food, service and drinks!! Would definitely go again and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who would have thought in Malden...CCM73VIPDined on 6/2/2013To be quite honest, Malden is not exactly on the Boston area culinary map, but this place was great and a true neighborhood gem. 1) A funny and friendly waitress who did not rush us in selecting anything. We took our time ordering drinks, had an appetizer and she actually asked us about half way through the appetizer when we wanted out food to come out. It was very relaxing and not rushed. 2) My dining companion has food allergies and the staff went above and beyond to ensure that the needs were met. 3) The food was really very good! Try the steak frites!Special Features:
- Brunch ReviewfoodiesDined on 6/2/2013I thought the food was great, have been here before, however, my husband feels it was only ok, but he is super picky! Our friends thought the waiter was way too chatty and should have limited his comments, but I thought he was funny!Special Features:
- good martiniskmacVIPDined on 6/1/2013the food was okay. my steak was overcooked. the pei muscles were phenomenal. definitely worth a trySpecial Features:
- No complaints at allOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013Service was excellent - and the food just fine - we had reservations - so were seated immediately - we chose from the special 3 course menu - and both of us got something we'd never had before - daughter loved the NE Lobster Pie - I had the duck - would never have it again - it had excellent flavor - but not a fan of so much fat or the almost pate texture to parts of it - and would have liked some bread w/the meal - it was never offered - on the other hand DESSERT was w/o question - perfect ! Decadent chocolate cake and we'd have probably ordered more but were too full. The starter salad by the way - VERY GOOD !!! We'd choose Exchange Street again in a heartbeat - good food, good service - nice find ! No more duck however :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem!SeekingthebestburgerVIPDined on 5/10/2013Love this neighborhood gem, best around and somewhat off the beaten path in Malden - food is as good as any good Boston restaurant, without the big city hassle. The staff are attentive and friendly - a very positive experience every time, that's why I keep going back - very reliable for many occasions, an easy and good night out or just for lunch.Special Features: