774 Boylston St
Boston, MA 02199Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lespalier.com/
- Phone: 617-262-3023x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday 12pm - 1:30pm; Tea: Saturday & Sunday 1:30pm-3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm-9:30pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-10:30pm;
The Salon is available during our regular hours of operation for lunch and dinner service.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Frank McClelland
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Au Soleil Catering brings the same dedication to excellence in cuisine and service that our guests at Sel de la Terre and L’Espalier have grown to know and love. From the rustic simplicity of Sel de la Terre’s cuisine to the lavish opulence of L’Espalier’s modern New England-French cuisine, Au Soleil presents a variety of options to suit every style of event. Call Au Soleil at 617-535-6040 or visit www.ausoleilcatering.com for more information.
- Special Events: ~Wine Mondays: 4 courses with wine pairings, centered around a changing theme. $85 per person, every Monday at 7pm!
Check our website for more information on upcoming special events and themed dinners.
A word from L'Espalier
L'Espalier can be found at its new home on Boylston Street, adjacent to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. L'Espalier is a culinary exploration, featuring sophisticated and modern New England-French cuisine, with an emphasis on artisanal and New England ingredients.Continued
**Please note we are not able to accept reservations for the Chef's Table, Wine Monday, or Cheese Tuesday on OpenTable.com.
**Please note we are not able to accept reservations for the Chef's Table, Wine Monday, or Cheese Tuesday on OpenTable.com.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
L'Espalier - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
L'Espalier reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (113)romantic (101)fit for foodies (95)notable wine list (78)neighborhood gem (15)great for lunch (14)good for groups (13)hot spot (6)scenic view (6)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- FabulousMarathonDined on 4/21/2014L'Espalier is consistently consistent with over the top food and service, never ever been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not wonderfulGrillmasterDined on 4/20/2014This is a great place, but the service was lacking in several areas for a place of this elegance and price. Drinks were late in arriving. Coffee arrived after dessert was almost finished. Dishes were not cleared appropriately or timely. Food presentation was clumsy. All staff were pleasant and seemingly attentive, just not well trained. The food was fantastic.Special Features:
- Modernist meets TraditionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014An unexpected find for someone who thinks all the great restaurants are only in New York. The chef is extraordinary and blends a modernist cuisine approach with traditional French fare in such a way that both schools are the better for it. An outstanding dining experience topped off by a great wine list and what is even more unique, a "tea sommelier," with very unusual and delicious teas to complement the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2014Great food, great service, great ambiance. The only problem was that the pacing of the meal was WAY OFF. We had the vegetarian degustation menu: some courses came out at the appropriate time; others we had to wait quite a long time for. This made our meal nearly endless. Also, the degustation menu involves too much food; we were stuffed by midway. Recommendation: smaller portions or less courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/19/2014At these prices, everything has to be outstanding. It isn't. Very good food, but not a good value overall.Special Features:
- Review from a French custommer.SandraDined on 4/17/20141. My porcelet québécois was too salty... 2.There was no orange juice, there was no apple juice which is unacceptable for such an expensive restaurant! Fortunately, the staff was great! Very polite (Merci beaucoup!)Special Features:
- Best vegetarian meal ever!Linda1954VIPDined on 4/13/2014Eating out as a vegetarian is usually a bit disappointing. Not here! We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary and there was no disappointment with this meal. And it seems the fancier and more expensive the meal the less food you get. I could not eat everything that was brought to the table. We got the tasting menu. I would highly recommend L'Espalier for your special occasions. I did ask my husband when we could come back. Although we probably would not want to host a dinner with the family. It was pretty expensive!Special Features:
- Awesome SpotboochDined on 4/11/2014The service was incredible, a member of our party had a gluten allergy and all night the chef would make special rolls/candies that were both gluten and gluten free so she wouldn't be left out of the experience. We had the Prixe Fix regular meal, the Bisque was incredible and my friend was a huge fan of the rabbit appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it!ssanhDined on 4/11/2014We would highly recommend L'Espalier for a special occasion. It is very expensive, but definitely worth it. We would recommend the tasting menu - 6 small but exquisite courses highlighting seasonal offerings, and incorporating "modernist" touches such as an almond foam to accompany a butter poached lobster tail. We would also recommend the wine pairings, chosen by the sommelier who came to the table to explain each wine and how it complemented the food. Our only very slightly negative comment was that the service was not quite as smooth as the last time we had dined at L'Espalier, with several people coming and going rather than one dedicated person. This may have been due to its being a busy night. Overall - fantastic and worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L'Espalier remains the greatestStageDirectorDined on 4/8/2014This is an extraordinary restaurant, they really do get everything right. Exceptionally creative menu, delicious and beautifully designed food. Exemplary service, a quiet ambiance with perfect low lighting. Our two guests were blown away too. This was our 6th or 7th visit. We drove over 100 miles to celebrate a birthday and spent night in a hotel. Worth it, even if you do need to bring a letter from your stockbroker!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat and always fantasticabergs2011Dined on 4/7/2014We've been to L'Espalier a couple of times in the past: Wine Monday, Christmas Eve, just some bites in the salon, but we hadn't yet gone for a "regular" dinner. We finally got a chance to enjoy the Seasonal Degustation Menu and it was fantastic! Each course was better than the last, and everything was just as beautiful and whimsical to look at as it was to eat. The lobster course was our favorite and the lamb was cooked perfectly. We were so full by the end of dinner but it was worth it. Service is always impeccable and friendly. Although we can't go often, we are always impressed each time we dine at L'Espalier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parent GetawayMandrewsDined on 4/5/2014We had a rare night away from the kids and decided to splurge. My wife loves French food so L'Espalier was and easy choice. Despite a late for us reso of 9:00 on a Saturday we had a great time. Thoughtful and prompt service, warm décor and fantastic food. The menu is well thought out and the meal is full of the French elegance that we would expect. We even had Frank McClelland come out to our table to chat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were just a bit underwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2014We were just a bit underwhelmed with our experience. That is not to say that we would not recommend it because a fine restaurant will almost always exceed expectations.Special Features:
- Simply AwesomeTomWDined on 4/5/2014This was perhaps the best meal I've ever eaten, and I've been around awhile. Every single element, attention to detail was fabulous. My congratulations and appreciation to the staff and chefs who made this a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Great tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014We had the tasting menu by the chef which was excellent, care was taken over my wife's allergies and the accompanying wines were well matched. Also great attentive serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything about our eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014Everything about our evening was great except for our server who was aloof and very cold. Almost like she thought she was better than the customers. It was actually uncomfortable. The other servers, bus people, etc were very engaging and made us feel like they were happy to serve us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best food in Boston... byOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2014We hadn't been here in awhile, we've been traveling a lot this last year. It was great to visit again and spend a few hours on the "Chef's Journey". This meal was as good as anything we had in Paris. In fact it was as nice a meal as I can remember having anywhere...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left wantingPileatedVIPDined on 3/29/2014Not enough reason to go. The food simply didn't deliver on the promise of the restaurant. Nothing terribly wrong, but nothing sufficiently right.
- A very fine resaurantJohnDined on 3/28/2014The staff and presentation were superb, and we were very pleased with all but the slightly underdone duck. Other dishes were excellent. Cost reflects the treatment and quality of the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a wonderful timeAnnaDined on 3/23/2014A friend of mine and I were celebrating bday, pregnancy, and a promotion. So it was a good occasion for very special dinner. We made reservations at L'Espalier. I am happy we did! The food was excellent. Each dish was better than the previous one, and exceeded our expectations. Not only it tasted delicious and delicate, the way the food at L'Espalier is presented is elegant and beautiful. The ambience is elegant, quiet, yet welcoming.Special Features:
- A fantastic experience!joe212Dined on 3/22/2014Worth every penny! Service was great, food was delicious. Definitely would recommend for a special/Romantic occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceMuncherDined on 3/21/2014Started off with drinks in the lounge overlooking buzzing Boylston street. Dining room is elegant and warmly lit (I hate dining in restaurants where I can barely see my food). All our courses, even including the bread, were delicious and the service was excellent. It is pricey but would definitely recommend for a special occasion or treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/21/2014The duck was amazing! The service was great. Overall, this place is a great pick for a special occasion!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this world.TunamangyeDined on 3/16/2014Every dish was an experience to be remember . Food and presentation exquisite. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:
- Unique ExperiencePeteDined on 3/15/2014I went to L'Espalier for dinner with a large group of 13. We were there to celebrate a 40th birthday. The experience was definitely unique with amazing service and presentation of the different courses. We went with the Winter Degustation for everyone at the table. Not everyone liked every dish, but it was nice not having to order separately for each person. The wine pairings were excellent and matched the courses very well. In hindsight, I would not have brought such a large party to L'Espalier. It would probably be best enjoyed with a smaller party (more romantic). Although, we went with a couple who are very much "foodies" and were in heaven! Others at the table did not enjoy this style of food as much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experience.PvdfoodsnobsVIPDined on 3/14/2014Wonderful dining experience. As soon as you enter L'Espalier, you feel like a special guest. Everyone is very welcoming and accommodating. If you have to wait for a table there is a lounge where you can enjoy wine and cheese or champagne. On a Friday night we had no problem getting a table and it was not too busy. The food was excellent, with ample bread and delectable amuse bouches to keep one occupied while the food was prepared. We chose the winter prix fixe and everything was stunningly prepared and delicious (lobster)! The one down side is the price. Be prepared to spend a lot of money even without the tasting menu option. Was a little disappointed in dessert which I felt was very ordinary (apple tart) especially for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Lunch, not too snobbydnatodayDined on 3/10/2014We went for a special lunch, my co-worker and I. It felt exclusive from the moment we entered the private elevator. We were welcomed into a very quiet dining room, only two other tables occupied and 1 other part came while we were eating. The Hama Hama oysters from Washington were the best thing we ate. The portions seemed small because they were served on a gigantic plate, but it was really satisfying. The chef sent out some special appetizers for us to try which were delicious! Nice deserts. We didn't feel rushed at all. And best part-- a 20% coupon for next visit was given to us at the end!Special Features:
- Afternoon Tea at L'EspalierRThomasDined on 3/9/2014My boyfriend and I went to L'Espalier for afternoon tea on a Sunday. He loves tea, so I thought that the in-house sommelier, Cynthia Gold, would make L'Espalier worth the expense--and I was right! The service was impeccable, and the food was delicious. We got the Little Red Riding Hood's Basket and the Three Blind Mice. All of the food was amazing, and of course the bottomless tea was perfectly steeped.Special Features:
- This was our second time atfoodieDined on 3/8/2014This was our second time at L'Espalier. $500 for two of us (Winter menu + 4 glasses of wine, each - the suggested pairings). Over the top pricey. Food was inconsistent. Some very good, but should have been an A, start to finish, instead of a B or B+. For example, the lamb was fabulous. It arrived on stone cold plates with cold vegetable/garnishes. Why? The dessert was lousy. But when the waiter asked how we liked it and we were honest, they brought out another dessert which was very good. The wait staff was attentive but our waiter was poorly groomed (greasy hair) and the cheese waiter looked as if he had crawled out from under a rock. He referred to two of our cheeses as "stinky" cheeses. Far from a class act.Special Features:
- Our experience from startOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014Our experience from start to finish was absolutely exquisite. From the little treats presented prior to the meal (smoked gouda eclairs, arugula financieres, gougeres, tangerine macarons) and the amuse-bouche and the bread plate through our appetizers, main course, and desserts, every morsel was delectable. Atmosphere was quiet and relaxing and service was impeccable, attentive yet unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing placehoustonfoodieVIPDined on 3/4/2014Very polished This espalier produces the very finest pears!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2014We had a great time last night! The ambiance was great and the food was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfulsls37Dined on 2/26/2014My boyfriend and I were treated to an amazing experience this week at L'Espalier. We did the Degustation menu with wine pairings and each course was superb. Our server Nabil was professional and warm, making us feel welcomed and helping with any questions about the food or wine with confidence. Every staff member greeted us warmly and helped to make our time there memorable. The lamb was impeccable, and the cheese board was whimsical and delicious. My favorite was the halibut, the stinging nettle veloute was so flavorful. My boyfriend truly enjoyed an extra course that was sent over with bitter greens and citrus. He said the simplicity was the beauty. We highly recommend this spot, pricey, but soo worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and InventiveTravellerDined on 2/26/2014Polite and proper service. Very inventive and well constructed food. Degustation menu was balanced and surprising in a good way, but too much food overall. Perhaps fewer courses would be appropriate. Found ourselves having to search for waiters at several points during the evening. A bit more focused attention would be welcome. All in all it was a good experience but not by any means perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I dined last SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2014My wife and I dined last Saturday at 7, the food was outstanding! The service was rushed. We ordered the 6 course menu paired with 4 wines. We started with martinis, and the food started arriving with the wines. At one point we had our martinis and 2 glasses of wine each in front of us. After we were served the fourth course along with bread and an app.course, I looked at my watch and noticed that we were their for 50 minutes. Having had many tasting menus in the past. This was wrong. When your spending $500.00 for diner, their has to be a pace, that you get to "enjoy" the food that is paired with the "wines". We never got to enjoy the tastes of the lobster, foie gras, or the halibut pairings. Food of this Quality deserves service to match
- Great food, stuffy ambienceRoosDined on 2/20/2014The food, of course, is great - nuff said about that. But the formality of the place is over the top - L'Espalier is trying to be more French than the French. They went for a "classic" vibe but overshot and ended up feeling a bit like a geriatric institution. A real shame, as a little more flair would have made the dining experience excellent. As it was, the wait staff seemed a bit uncomfortable in their stiff solicitousness and the decorations and especially the music were almost laughably mid-20th century.Special Features:
- Wonderful tasting menuADG41Dined on 2/17/2014My wife and I have been to many top restaurants over the years, mostly in the UK and Europe but also in New York. I have to say that the experience we had at L'Espalier is up there with the best! A wonderful menu, perfectly executed and presented. We will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/15/2014We have been about five times, and it never disappoints. Everything is top notch, from the food to the service to the decor. It's amazing to me how this place has been so consistently good for so long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysWorldTravellerDined on 2/15/2014Always a wonderful experience! Food was outstanding, service maybe not as good as other times. Overall experience justifies cost.Special Features:
- Fantasy TeaAnioVIPDined on 2/15/2014Husband and I went for Saturday Fantasy Tea. Having been to L'Espalier twice for dinner, we expected exceptional service and food. I would say that while our experience was fine, it fell short of the usual excellence in service that we've experienced at L'Espalier in the past. We ran out of tea twice and had to wait quite a while each time to catch the eye of a server going by to refill it, and we also had to ask for milk and sugar once, and also ask for our milk to be refilled when it was empty. That's 4 times we had to ask for empty things to be refilled when the staff ordinarily would just notice and be proactive. The tea sandwiches, scones, and dessert were quite tiny - much smaller than at comparable afternoon tea places in Boston.Special Features: