774 Boylston St
Boston, MA 02199Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lespalier.com/
- Phone: 617-262-3023x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday 12pm - 1:30pm; Tea: Saturday & Sunday 1:30pm-3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm-9:30pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-10:30pm;
The Salon is available during our regular hours of operation for lunch and dinner service.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Frank McClelland
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Au Soleil Catering brings the same dedication to excellence in cuisine and service that our guests at Sel de la Terre and L’Espalier have grown to know and love. From the rustic simplicity of Sel de la Terre’s cuisine to the lavish opulence of L’Espalier’s modern New England-French cuisine, Au Soleil presents a variety of options to suit every style of event. Call Au Soleil at 617-535-6040 or visit www.ausoleilcatering.com for more information.
- Special Events: ~Wine Mondays: 4 courses with wine pairings, centered around a changing theme. $85 per person, every Monday at 7pm!
Check our website for more information on upcoming special events and themed dinners.
A word from L'Espalier
L'Espalier can be found at its new home on Boylston Street, adjacent to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. L'Espalier is a culinary exploration, featuring sophisticated and modern New England-French cuisine, with an emphasis on artisanal and New England ingredients.Continued
**Please note we are not able to accept reservations for the Chef's Table, Wine Monday, or Cheese Tuesday on OpenTable.com.
**Please note we are not able to accept reservations for the Chef's Table, Wine Monday, or Cheese Tuesday on OpenTable.com.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
L'Espalier - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
L'Espalier reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (108)romantic (95)fit for foodies (88)notable wine list (72)great for lunch (16)good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (12)scenic view (9)great for brunch (5)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Excellent!WinesnobDined on 6/16/2014My husband and I were quite impressed with the entire dining experience at L'Espalier! The food was incredible - every course was perfectly prepared, and the service was impeccable. Loved the ambience of the small but plush surroundings. Will dine there again my next trip to Boston.Special Features:
- The food was disappointing.DollytexasDined on 6/14/2014Service slow. Wine unremarkable. The food was disappointing.
- Chef's tableTravelingFoodieVIPDined on 6/13/2014I flew my wife and I from Houston just to experience the chef's table at L'Espalier for our 20th anniversary. What a treat! As a CIA grad and frequent executive diner, I can say the experience is equaled by few restaurants in the country. One of the gems of Boston.Special Features:
- UnicornkDined on 6/13/2014The service was outstanding. The food was very good although there seemed a tendency to favor the sweet in all the courses. The cheeses were delicious, but served with sweetish bread. All in all an enjoyable experience but not as outstanding as the price had suggested.
- Wonderful service, anemic foodanitalbDined on 6/13/2014We have been to L'Espalier now four times. One visit was superb, another good, and the last two very disappointing. The service was outstanding and attentive. The Parker House rolls were divine. Now for the not so great. Our salads were positively tasteless, with melon that had no flavor, and a dressing that was barely perceptible. The lobster dish was good, but not memorable. And our desserts were absolutely bland. I am always happy to pay top dollar for a memorable meal, but this experience was simply not worth the money. I do not want to dine at a restaurant where I can prepare better food at home.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedLovefoodVIPDined on 5/30/2014We have dined at l'Espalier a number of times and it is consistently excellent!Special Features:
- ExpensiveReviewqueenDined on 5/25/2014My food was great but my boyfriends main course was not so good very bland and way over pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare gem!SapphirenecklaceDined on 5/25/2014What a lovely tea my husband and I had! While sharing a bottle of Prosecco, we sampled teas and had delicious sandwiches with chicken, cucumbers, salmon/dill, and crab. Followed by the tastiest samplings of desserts... scones w/fresh jam and honey, bittersweet chocolate bite, and chocolate cake for our birthdays! All in all, it was wonderful from the moment we entered and were whisked upstairs in the elevator. We were greeted by Cynthia who explained teas during our lunch and our server, Depu, who has been with L'Espalier or many years, was attentive and sweet. L'Espalier is a destination in itself when visiting Boston. Don't miss out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1735 reviews are from the L'Espalier reviews archive.
- Simply lovelyCrowetacDined on 5/23/2014The meal was inspired. Everything was delectable, colorful and beyond delicious. Wait staff were superb. Cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/20/2014I always love to go to Lespalier. the food is wonderful and they treat you special every time.
- Consummate dining experienceCaptainBostonDined on 5/15/2014L'Espalier is extraordinary. I have had the vegetarian tasting menu there twice, about two years apart. Each different component (there were about ten counting the palate-cleansing mini-courses) was memorable, unique, and extremely delicious. The service is incredible, attentive but unobtrusive. The restaurant is wonderfully quiet and subtly lit. It's just perfect and well worth the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2014Went for mothers day. Food was excellent service was great.Special Features:
- Family brunchfambrunchDined on 5/11/2014As always, L´Espalier was fabulous. I went for brunch on Mother´s Day with daughters, my grandaughter and a friend. My daughters and I enjoyed food more than the younger ones, but everybody had a very good time.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceDiningdivaDined on 5/11/2014Brunch was delicious! Can't wait to return! Each course was better than the previous one !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, a culinary experienceDRo89Dined on 5/10/2014Great food. Great service. Great as a "sometimes" place for those celebratory moments given the cost.Special Features:
- WayneovDined on 5/10/2014Wonderful experience, the food was over the top! Wait staff amazing and the wine list great!Special Features:
- Amazing!GrandyVIPDined on 5/10/2014As always, L'Espalier never fails to impress. Wonderful tea. Sandwiches, spectacular and sweets, amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tea timefoodieDined on 5/10/2014went for afternoon tea on a saturday afternoon. it's a great place to meet a special someone (or a good friend) for lunch, tea, or dinner. noise level is quiet and service is unobstrusive but adequate at the same time. the food was good but not mind-blowing. tea was good, also not mind-blowing. don't expect to get your bang for your buck here. you are paying for everything else too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon teaLoveTDined on 5/10/2014We had a lovely experience at L'Espalier for afternoon tea. The menu is very nice and the food was very tasty. Unlike most places, the sandwiches and savories were served in courses on individual plates so it didn't seem so overwhelming and we could visit and chat without having to move or peek through a large 3 tiered serving apparatus. Usually when I have tea, a whole pot is set on the table which is convenient when needing a refill. They serve you tea from pots that have already brewed and unfortunately my daughter and mother had just one cup each. Since I had the mint tea, the pot was set on the table which held about 2.5 cups. Aside from not getting another cup of tea, the service was great and we had a lovely time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the best in bostontruthtellerVIPDined on 5/8/2014Probably the best food. It has improved, less fussy, some things are sublime, others just very good. I think it is best of Boston, but it is expensive. Quality of Food per dollar well worth it.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceAnacharsisClootsDined on 5/7/2014The food was outstanding, from the appetizers to dessert, and the service was excellent. From the moment we arrived, the staff was attentive, and the waiter was solicitous and able to explain things to us in plain English. Everyone contributed to the warm and friendly atmosphere, and we went away delighted with our evening.Special Features:
- EmmeDined on 5/6/2014If you are looking for a high end restaurant you should go here. Everything was delicious and the little extras that CNA with our spring degustation dinner were just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!JaguarDined on 5/5/2014Their "pretzel" bread is to die for!! For the appetizer I chose oyster stew and it turned out to be one of the most original and tasty dishes I've ever had. It was perfect in every respect. For the main course I chose porcelet. Again, beautifully crafted dish with just the right amount of sweetness in the sauce. The only tiny quibble is that the meat had a bit more fat than I would have imagined. The chocolate soufflé was, again, impeccably made and tasty. The restaurant has a fine wine list, and good selection of half-bottles and desert wines. Service was absolutely impeccable - can't really improve on it in my opinion. Overall, an exceptional restaurant for special occasions or just great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wowuniqueflowerDined on 5/3/2014This was an amazing experience! If you love fine dining this place will blow you away!!Special Features:
- Great Special Occaision Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/2/2014We wanted to honor a aged and quite hard of hearing family member. We asked for a quiet spot in a restaurant noted for its quieter tones. We ended up in a wonderful spot in a corner of the library room, which enabled us to speak and by heard by our family member without having to raise our voices. The food was a gastronomic delight, though, after our honored guest's specific request to assure that the scallop appetizer arrive hot, the kitchen did not think to heat the very large plate to assure the scallops retained their heat in the trip from the kitchen to the table -- they arrived room temperature. Yet the preparation was top notch -- if a little precious with all the "foams" and pricey for my husband's taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to its reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/2/2014We dined here for the first time and definitely had one of the best meals ever. They were also very gracious about our 9-month-old being with us. Unfortunately, no high chairs, but that was OK as we had our stroller with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Are they in a routine?TerryVIPDined on 4/28/2014Very polite staff, but rather bored than enthusiastic. Plates presentation made on a recitation mode.... May be they did that way too often? How long since the menu was changed? We had the Spring degustation menu for the table. Very good ingredients, but combinations of flavors and textures rather unsophisticated by international standards. Excellent visual impression. False note was the dessert: way too many strong spices killing it.... Willing to return and try another menu.
- Special Occasion DestinationMsBeeDined on 4/26/2014This restaurant is everything it's reputation says it is! Amazing food, service and a great location! A dining experience worth the cost. I am so happy I chose to celebrate a special birthday with the amazing staff!Special Features:
- A wonderful evening!DrRGDined on 4/26/2014We had a wonderful evening of beautifully presented and delicious dishes and well selected wine pairings as well. After all of that terrific service and food and wine, we found the ginger bread desert just a little bit weak. Otherwise fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!!2flfoodiesDined on 4/26/2014We made our reservation in advanced based on a recommendation from a friend from Boston, since we were visiting on business/pleasure. They called us and offered us the Chefs table we are foodies so this was so awesome for us!!! It was amazing sitting in the kitchen like on the food network. We have sat at Chefs tables in the past but nothing could compare or come close to this experience! We had our own waiter we did the wine pairing with the Chef's journey tasting menu and nothing compares to the food and attention we received. We had a first class view of their operations; we even got to talk to some of the staff and the Chef after they were done with service we were there about 4 hours total but i could have stayed forever :)Special Features:
- Spectacular LunchTrishVIPDined on 4/26/2014I had a friend visiting from out of town. The weather was aweful, so we decided to go out for a spectacular lunch. L'Espalier did not disappoint!!!Special Features:
- Great evening123abcDined on 4/25/2014Birthday dinner in the library room. Table for 2. quiet, excellent service, fantastic food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousMarathonDined on 4/21/2014L'Espalier is consistently consistent with over the top food and service, never ever been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not wonderfulGrillmasterDined on 4/20/2014This is a great place, but the service was lacking in several areas for a place of this elegance and price. Drinks were late in arriving. Coffee arrived after dessert was almost finished. Dishes were not cleared appropriately or timely. Food presentation was clumsy. All staff were pleasant and seemingly attentive, just not well trained. The food was fantastic.Special Features:
- Modernist meets TraditionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014An unexpected find for someone who thinks all the great restaurants are only in New York. The chef is extraordinary and blends a modernist cuisine approach with traditional French fare in such a way that both schools are the better for it. An outstanding dining experience topped off by a great wine list and what is even more unique, a "tea sommelier," with very unusual and delicious teas to complement the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2014Great food, great service, great ambiance. The only problem was that the pacing of the meal was WAY OFF. We had the vegetarian degustation menu: some courses came out at the appropriate time; others we had to wait quite a long time for. This made our meal nearly endless. Also, the degustation menu involves too much food; we were stuffed by midway. Recommendation: smaller portions or less courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/19/2014At these prices, everything has to be outstanding. It isn't. Very good food, but not a good value overall.Special Features:
- Review from a French custommer.SandraDined on 4/17/20141. My porcelet québécois was too salty... 2.There was no orange juice, there was no apple juice which is unacceptable for such an expensive restaurant! Fortunately, the staff was great! Very polite (Merci beaucoup!)Special Features:
- Best vegetarian meal ever!Linda1954VIPDined on 4/13/2014Eating out as a vegetarian is usually a bit disappointing. Not here! We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary and there was no disappointment with this meal. And it seems the fancier and more expensive the meal the less food you get. I could not eat everything that was brought to the table. We got the tasting menu. I would highly recommend L'Espalier for your special occasions. I did ask my husband when we could come back. Although we probably would not want to host a dinner with the family. It was pretty expensive!Special Features:
- Awesome SpotboochDined on 4/11/2014The service was incredible, a member of our party had a gluten allergy and all night the chef would make special rolls/candies that were both gluten and gluten free so she wouldn't be left out of the experience. We had the Prixe Fix regular meal, the Bisque was incredible and my friend was a huge fan of the rabbit appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.