Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar
388 Moody Street
Waltham, MA 02453Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $31 to $50
Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.solearestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7818941805
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Brunson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Solea can accommodate groups of 20-250. Call or email for details
- Private Party Contact: Coleen Noonan; Hope Alvarez 7818941805
A word from Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar
Solea offers a warm Mediterranean atmosphere with its richly colored walls, mosaics and sparkling lamps. It is the perfect destination for a quick bar snack, an after work gathering or a celebratory dinner. Private spaces are available for formal sit-down dinners, casual buffets, or cocktail receptions for groups of 25-250 people. The menu includes over 40 tapas (Spanish appetizers and entrees. The bar offerings range from : traditional sangria, Latino cocktails, and wines from Spain, Portugal, Chile, and Argentina.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (78)fit for foodies (77)good for groups (61)special occasion (55)romantic (38)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (18)great for lunch (17)notable wine list (10)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great ExperienceFirstTimeatSoleaDined on 3/28/2014I went during restaurant week and the food was delicious. There were many options to choose from the special menu. My friends and I enjoyed the 3 course meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a wonderful experiencebsuarezDined on 3/28/2014We brought yet another couple to Solea that had not yet experienced tapas and Spanish food. After an array of tapas dishes and a shared Paella accompanied by some white Cava Sangria they are hooked! We always have a wonderful dining experience at Solea and immediately look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun for groupfrenchyDined on 3/27/20144 of us shared various tapas, so we all got to taste different things. Sizzling shrimp was a big hit--definitely sizzling when served. Chicken with interesting sauce, calamari toasted to perfection, and the tres leches cake won ohhhs and aaaahs. The salad was a generous serving and everyone likes bunuelos!Special Features:
- Great Cocktails! Food was GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/27/2014Tried out Solea during Boston restaurant week. The cocktails were great and flavorful, but the food not so much. The calamari was somewhat greasy and had no flavor. The garlic shrimp smelled great, but also lacked any flavor, and when eating the shrimp it was soaked in olive oil and just dripped grease. For entrees we ordered the lamb, the beef tenderloin, chorizo, and the lobster crab ravioli. The tenderloin was delicious. It had great flavor and was juicy. The lamb was also cooked very nicely. The chorizo was plain, and the ravioli was under cooked, but the sauce they were in was yummy. Will go back to sit at the bar, but not for an entire meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston Restaurant Week Winter 2014CottageDined on 3/24/2014I had high expectations for Solea but wasn't that thrilled with my dinner. My waitress was great and I did enjoy the sangria and bread, but only liked some of the items I had from the Restaurant week menu: Sizzling Garlic Shrimp - I couldn't get past the texture or look of the baby shrimp but the garlic oil was good with the bread Fried Calamari - Very good! Salmon a la Plancha - Good but the sauce was missing something. Duck in Berry Sauce - This was good but not as good as the version at Dali. Beef Tenderloin with Spicy Herb Sauce - This was okay. Chorizo - This was bland as well. It's not the worst I've had but I'm not sure if I would go here again.Special Features:
- We visit Solea 3-4 times aGrfaDined on 3/23/2014We visit Solea 3-4 times a year and this recent experience was the first less than great experience that we have had. The food came out sporadically and at the wrong temperatures. Food that should have been hot was warm and food that should have been cold was lukewarm. One dish that we have probably ordered ten times before looked like the portion had been cut in half. When we asked about it we were told it was all done by weight and that sometimes we could have received less than we did this evening. Every other time it was always more. Maybe we got lucky the previous ten times? We are chocking this up to it being restaurant week even though we did not eat off the restaurant week menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food as artconchitaDined on 3/23/2014The food at Solea is an art form. Each dish is carefully prepared and distinctively flavored with delectable sauces and spices. We were a group of eight and each ordered 2-3 dishes, so were fortunate to be able to share and sample many different items. I can't wait to go back again and will be certain to bring a small herd so that we can again have the pleasure of potpourri of taste sensations. The decor is lovely and the staff could not be more accommodating. It was a family birthday and the restaurant manager thoughtfully seated us in a comfortable spot where we could all hear each other. We had a wonderful time and are guaranteed to become regular customers.Special Features:
- Yum!ES17Dined on 3/22/2014I can't say enough good things about our meal at Solea on Saturday night. I was nervous because parking was so difficult, we were a few minutes late for our reservation. Our server was fantastic! The food was excellent! We ended the night with a port flight and churros. I don't think I could pick just one favorite tapas plate. Each was different and completely delicious in its own way. Will certainly recommend to everyone I know, and will be back soon to try the rest of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- didn't hit it out of the parkCourDined on 3/22/2014Typically when I go to Solea, it is delicious and impressive. This was not truly the case on this past visit. The service was outstanding and the food came out lightning fast (we had over 7 tapas and were out of the restaurant in 45 minutes). However, one of the tapas (tomatoes and goat cheese) was SO burnt that we had to legit lift the black shell layer off in order to see the cheese. The rest of the food was good, but not as impressive as I remembered from previous visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/19/2014If you love tapas this is the place to go! They also have very good sangria!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/18/2014first time we went to Solea we were invited by friends... reminded them of a Tapas Bar we went to in Spain... great experience. delicious food.. so many choices.. lots of sharing. wine list was great.. but speciality Sangria was outstanding. We vowed to return and did so with another set of friends. Another outstanding dining experience.. got to choose lots of different dishes. This restauraunt is a must for us to return to and take new friends.Special Features:
- great dining experienceSunshinebostonDined on 3/16/2014They offered a lot of varities...kids love to try different things and sure this is the place must go...Special Features:
- Our neighbors recommendedmountaingoatDined on 3/16/2014Our neighbors recommended this place and we went in for dinner. We were in Barcelona recently so we had high expectation, which was unfortunate. Each of us (party of 4) ordered 3 tapas. Not only the food came out in odd order (mix of cold and hot plates), we had to ask our server twice to bring out the rest of our order. One of us had no food in front while the others got theirs. Service got extremely chaotic when they started clearing our plates while 2 last orders were simply forgotten. Quality of food didn't rescue the lack of service either. Bottom line: food was so-so, service was insufficient. we won't go back.Special Features:
- DecentDeepuDined on 3/15/2014This was a decent place to eat..wait time was a bit long for such small servings. Too crowded, as the tables were small and scrunched together. People were amicable and very quick with serving drinks. Ambiance was great, really felt like you could get intimate with your dates (or easy to converse with friends). Loud, very loud, but not didn't distract from my experience. I'd reccomend it, but you won't walk away with a once in a lifetime experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful for a special occasion!SHLADined on 3/15/2014Great food, great ambience, great friends and a fantastic waitress made for an incredible and delicious experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014Hosted a bday for my mother with 9 people. Staff were great and helped stay organized enough to even leave ontime for a show we had to attend. Food was also amazing. Don't think we tried anything we didn't have seconds of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent tapasscottDined on 3/14/2014Not the best tapas in greater Boston and expensive for what you get. Solea provides a cool dining experience, excellent sangria, but the food is only so-so. I have had better and I have had worse: Solea definitely doesn't blow you away with their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for work dinnersAnnaDined on 3/12/2014Solea has become my go to restaurant for work dinners after meetings in Weston. There's something for everyone on the menu and service is always good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mealfishy2Dined on 3/10/2014We had a great meal and wine. Tapas were delicious and easy to share for a great variety of food.Special Features:
- Disappointing and overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/8/2014Of the many tapas we had, only two were worth the money - a seafood soup special and the lamb meatballs in truffle cream sauce. Examples of the mediocre dishes are the calamari (greasy and flabby), the poblano relleno (dried out), and especially the crab, avocado and mango timbale (made with canned crab,an under ripe avocado with only the smallest hint of mango). We expect to pay for first quality, delicious dishes. We paid a lot for mediocrity. We won't be back.
- Loved the foodlove2dineDined on 3/5/2014It was a special occasion and we had delicious food, and outstanding service. It was a bit noisy for my taste, but not horrible. I highly recommend this. The paella was definitely authentic and delicious.Special Features:
- My husband and I come heresmsnickersDined on 3/1/2014My husband and I come here at least once a month. The food and service are super! The reason for 4 stars, even with the reservation we had to wait 20 minutes. Otherwise a great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More attention to food neededSusanDined on 3/1/2014We have been to Solea a number of times. We enjoy the variety of the tapas menu and usually come away satisfied. We had very good service but the food left us feeling a little ho hum. We think it is time for Solea to step up the quality of their tapas dishes.
- Always fantasticPeteGDined on 2/28/2014I've been to Solea many dozens of times. Each and very occasion has been a great evening. The tapas is a delight. The staff has always been more than accommodating. I look forward to enjoying many more evenings of fun, food, and drink with my friends at the highlight of Moody Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty DelightCarolynDined on 2/22/2014I had not been to Solea before and did not Know what to expect. Our waiter was very helpful, making suggestions for types and quantities of menu items. Everything was yummy and tasty. We were thrilled with all of the 12 tapas plates we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSusieVIPDined on 2/21/2014Have eaten here many times and had many different dishes. Always excellent. One dish this time, the waiter noticed not much of it was eaten. He asked if anything was wrong. We said it was not up to our expectations. He immediately took it away and offered another dish. Service was excellent. It is one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Viva Solea!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/20/2014Great place. Exquisite and varied food. Knowledgable wait staff. Wonderful ambiance.Special Features:
- Sangria!MmmmGoodDined on 2/17/2014If you love sangria, Do. Not. Miss the Sangria Royal. So many wonderful things on the tapas menu! Those lamb meatballs, for example. Oh man. I mean, for goodness sake. Go, eat, and by all means take friends, so you can order lots of stuff. I swear no one is paying me to say this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Una experiencia del pasadoSusiSezDined on 2/16/2014Solea proved the perfect place to celebrate Valentine's day for us. I lived in Spain many years ago and have fond memories of eating tapas; my boyfriend had never tried them. Had we only been able to try everything on the menu--alas! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never go on Hail to the V DayDrDanDined on 2/14/2014Crowd was energetic and fun! Servers were in over their heads. Kitchen kept up well.
- A bit of a disappointmentTinLizzieVIPDined on 2/14/2014While some of our selections were quite tasty - chicken livers, pork loin, stuffed squid - others were just OK. I would have rated the overall experience higher except for the inattentive service by the waiter. I appreciate it was Valentine's Day and a very busy night - but the management must have known it would be a busy night. The waiter never came over to ask how the food was, and it took a very long time for the credit card receipt to come. We had split the bill in half between two couples - and all the bill was still put on one credit card. I would have expected a bit more of an apology from the waiter (yes it was fixed right away), but he seemed quite distracted all evening.Special Features:
- Great food, servers overwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014My wife and I ate here on Valentine's' Day, and we had a great time overall. Seemed understaffed from the moment we arrived, but we enjoyed a longer than usual dinner and never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friends night outGordyVIPDined on 2/9/2014some tapas selections were OK ... better than prior ownership... but still .. entree's were not up to par ... drinks were a modest pour ...
- Excellent againMikeVIPDined on 2/8/2014Top notch from beginning to end. I don't think there is a bad choice on the menu. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- We will be back!shwaldmanDined on 2/8/2014We were pleased when our friends from out of town suggested that we revisit Solea for tapas. We had a very pleasant evening in a curtained booth, feasting on a wide variety of very tasty little bites. Service was courteous and attentive. Love the addition of the extra room--giving us all more elbow room. We will return! Too many items yet to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun night out!jzukDined on 2/8/2014We had a great time at Solea. As always, the sangria was good and the food delicious. The only negative was that they sat us and then, once we were all settled, moved us to another table because they said they needed the larger table for another reservation. They were apologetic but didn't offer us a drink or an app as a consolation for the inconvenience. But........the food is so good, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousChristineDined on 2/6/2014The food was delicious! Fun and unique. The atmosphere was relaxed and unrushed! Perfect place to catch up with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for an unplanned night out!brunelloafcionadoVIPDined on 2/4/2014We love to go to Solea whenever the mood strikes. The tapas are always good and the service pleasant as well. Tonight we decided to go for a number of tapas we had never had before and ordered the Brazilian Crusty Cheese Bread, the Collards with garlic, pine nuts and golden raisins, the Lamb meatballs in truffles cream sauce and one favorite, the sizzling shrimp. I would order any of them again except for the Brazilian Bread - it just wasn't what we were expecting. We ordered a nice bottle of red and were pleasantly surprised when the waitress came back with a decanter after presenting the wine. We have gotten used to having to ask - even in Boston restaurants and even when ordering wines that go for 100+. Definitely recommend Solea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!SCC5Dined on 2/4/2014Solea never disappoints! The food is very good and comes out quickly. The red sangria is delicious too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!EricaDined on 2/1/2014If you love tapas, you will love this place! They offer a wide variety of tapas, as well as paella. The food was excellent. Definitely a scene for the older professional crowd. Great place for a date night!Special Features: