315 Main St.
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019Neighborhood:
Half Moon Bay
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pastamoon.com/
- Phone: 6507265125x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Kim Levin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Several private rooms are available. Please call restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Teresa Maloney 650-726-5125 x
- Entertainment: Live music every Wednesday in our Music Box Lounge
- Special Events: Annual wine tasting and winemaker dinners. Please sign up for our monthly announcements
A word from Pasta Moon
A popular destination in Half Moon Bay for over 25 years, Pasta Moon Restaurant serves contemporary Italian cuisine using the freshest local produce available- in fact, easily the finest dining on the coast; (and not the most expensive!). You'll find a cozy setting for lunch or dinner, surrounded by old arched casement windows which once brought light into the Burlingame Public Library, and you'll be served by an attentive and knowlegable staff.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Pasta Moon - Best Restaurants in Half Moon Bay ›
Pasta Moon reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)neighborhood gem (94)special occasion (90)romantic (67)great for lunch (49)notable wine list (44)good for groups (39)great for brunch (20)hot spot (20)kid-friendly (20)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (5)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Can't talk...Eating !!NinaChewsDined on 7/23/2014Our table goes silent as the waitperson approaches. We begin eating with our eyes, such lovely presentations. There is no disappointment as each bite tastes better than the next! We did have an odd waitperson experience, but next time we will be sure not to have him, and all will be perfect! On all other visits the service was 5 star. Planning to be back soon and to have my birthday dinner there. We're only 10 minuets away which makes this a constant temptation! Looking forward to next time, soon :)Special Features:
- Half Moon Bay classiccalalilyDined on 7/22/2014We dine at Pasta Moon every time we visit Half Moon Bay. It's comfortably upscale and the food is consistently good.We hope the lace battered green beans stay on the starter menu......wonderful.The pasta is always homemade and delicately sauced.A "must go" after we get our fill of coastside fish and fries houses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but ...JohnDined on 7/20/2014I had the beet salad Beets were minced with burrata on top it was as if the beets were a garnish for the burrata Lasagna was very good Dessert was greatSpecial Features:
- It's about the foodSimchaFredDined on 7/20/2014First rate food - ingredients, prep, combination,and presentation. They're innovative, but not show-offs. Tastes great too. Great service - prompt, never rushed or pushy. Nice wine list. Reasonable sound levels. Really nice decor, recently repainted. It's all about the food and not about being the hippest, 'to be seen at', or amazing decor or artwork. Staff is always friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Pasta MoonchefDined on 7/20/2014Atmosphere, service and food are all exceptional! The wine list has some great Italian finds. The staff is very knowledgeable about the menu and wines. The food was delicious using local produce and peek of the season products. Highly recommend a visit either for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Destination diningms64Dined on 7/19/2014This restaurant is certainly worth the trip to Half Moon Bay. The relaxed atmosphere, with the fabulous food always makes this a great destination!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- drleo wouldn't miss itdrleoDined on 7/18/2014I have been many times and always recommend it to others. One of the best spots around Half Moon Bay. Great Italian food, very well prepared with interesting choices. Pasta homemade and you can tell. Great all Italian wine list with many unusual offerings. Comfortable setting, casual, but still upscale dining, but not at all formal. Restaurant has grown now with a few separate dining areas and nice separate bar at entrance. Get to the beach, then enjoy an afternoon stroll of the interesting shops on Main Street and finish up at Pasta Moon. Makes for a great day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFULCatttDined on 7/18/2014We were amazed with the attentive service! We had two small children with us and they met all their needs from the moment we walked in. The food was outstanding. The appetizers, although smaller in portion, were very tasting. We were shocked to see how large the lunch main entrees were after seeing the size of the appetizers. The bread is still warm and baked fresh there.Special Features:
- great as alwaysGemmaVIPDined on 7/17/2014This is our go-to restaurant for out of town guests and special treats for ourselves. The service is always excellent. The staff is so friendly and I love that they remember us, so welcoming.Special Features:
- Original and CreativeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Pasta Moon hit expectations. The Italian dishes have unique twists and plenty of flavor. The tuna linguini has a gradual intensity of flavor with each bite. Nice place to eat in downtown Half MoonSpecial Features:
- Gem in Half Moon BayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/16/2014While there are a lot of quick food options in HMB, Pasta Moon is a serious, but casual restaurant. Food and service were excellent except for the espressos which were a bit watery. The decor is fun, colorful and with a large, multiple section seating area, a variety of party sizes can be accommodated. We had a fresh linguine with calamari and it was excellent. Al dente pasta and calamari with a touch of seasoned broth. Pasta was steaming when mixed on our plates. Highly recommended. Great find and so much better than the clam shack attitudes of other places where we have encountered high prices for bad fried food and indifferent service.Special Features:
- Hit, Hit and MissBeeLadyDined on 7/14/2014Beautifully remodeled restaurant. The staff was welcoming. Our waiter, Sebastian, detailed the specials and answered our questions with great drama! Miss: clam chowder "sour". Hit: Fried ricotta stuffed squash blossoms (special menu) "out of this world". Hit&Miss: Seared scallops on pappardelle pasta (special menu) "scallops amazing, pasta dry". Hit: Margherita pizza "perfect". Hit&Miss: Ghiradelli butterscotch pudding with whip cream "delicious but hard to eat out of narrow necked glass". We will come back because overall the experience was great.Special Features:
- Great Local RestaurantJeffDined on 7/12/2014Pasta Moon is a real gem tucked away in Half Moon Bay - intimate, great food, and very pleasant wait staff.Special Features:
- Always great food and serviceBeveDined on 7/11/2014We have here many, many times. Always a great choice. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Just OKMookieVIPDined on 7/8/2014We had a prawn appetizer that was merely passable. The shrimp were mushy and tasteless. Our pastas were good. It was convenient to our B&B but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there.
- Consistently excellentStephenDined on 7/7/2014I know that my friends and I will always have a good experience at Pasta Moon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and ServiceLongTimeCustomerVIPDined on 7/7/2014Everything we ordered was so good. The tomatoes on the bruchetta were perfectly ripe and seasoned really well. The butternut squash ravioli (my favorite) is always amazing, the pork chop was juicy and flavorful. The service is also amazing here. The head server was great, but so were the busser and the food runner. All 3 of these men kept a close eye on our table, so whenever we needed another fork, more wine, ground pepper, etc, they were always at hand to help. Such a great dining experience!Special Features:
- Great ingredients!LPwhymustiaddcharactersVIPDined on 7/5/2014Clearly Pasta Moon sources great ingredients -- every single one was perfect. We had the pea and fava bean appetizer, which was excellent and the flavors of feta, olive oil, and lemon were perfectly balances and muted enough to let the legumes shine through. The lemon chicken was simple but perfectly executed. But the pappardelle pancetta was slightly bland and the pasta was overcooked to the point of gumminess, a cardinal sin for a place with pasta in the name and which touts homemade noodles. Finally, our server listed the wrong specials and was completely disinterested, never asking how our food was or offering to get another drink, even tossing dessert menus on the table and leaving without discussion.Special Features:
- To die for lasagnaSeriouslyDisappointedDined on 7/4/2014Our dining experience was truly exceptional! The lasagna was absolutely to die for! By far, the best lasagna, we have ever had! Which is no small compliment because we have lived in New York City! The homemade pasta was so light and delicate! The Meyer lemon meringue dessert was just luscious! The perfect combination of sweet and tart! The service was exceptional! Can't wait to return! Exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie delight in HMBmamakeestDined on 7/4/2014Spent a lovely evening here on July 4th. Ambience is lovely, food was light and modern, with lots of flavors. The lasagna was big enough for two with layers of homemade noodles. Wonderful experience, will definitely come again!Special Features:
- Ocean side findgreatVIPDined on 7/2/2014My wife and I have eaten at this restaurant several times and have yet to have a bad meal! Everything is tasty and steaming hot when brought to the table.Special Features:
- Pasta Moon is on their game!Foodie2014VIPDined on 6/30/2014I first ate at Pasta Moon 15 years ago. We visit Half Moon Bay once or twice a year and make it one of our regular stops. Our meal this time was outstanding. All pastas are made in house and all ingredients are first class. I would put it the equal of Cotogna. The service was excellent. Their remodel (5 years ago) has elevated the interior to the level of the cuisine. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Disappointing...Inge622Dined on 6/29/2014Having dined at Pasta Moon several years ago, I made a reservation for a birthday dinner for two. Although the restaurant was quite slow for a Sunday night at 7pm, our waiter was non-existent most of the time. The food runner and busboys did a great job of making sure that we got our salad and entrees, but I finally had to go over to the hostess to get our waiter's attention to order coffee and dessert. The food itself was just okay. I had the scallop and fettuccine special which came drowned in olive oil. My friend had the grilled swordfish (also a special) which also came drenched in olive oil. All in all, a very disappointing evening.
- Beautiful day on the coast.PatrickVIPDined on 6/29/2014Enjoyable lunch on a beautiful on the coast. Excellent food, great wine, wonderful friends.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening!626dinerDined on 6/27/2014We had a great meal at Pasta Moon. We aren't foodies . . . .but we can recognize great tasting food. The fresh made pasta was exceptional and the special starter (beet and burrata) was delicious. Our waiter recommended a wonderful bottle of wine (and it didn't break the bank). We were only visiting the area for the weekend but wish we could eat at Pasta Moon every weekend. It's obvious that the locals love this place and eat there often.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/16/2014We have eaten at Pasta Moon 1 to 2 times per year over the last 5 years. I have to say that the food seems to get better each time we go.Special Features:
- Our favorite in HMBRonnieDined on 6/15/2014Excellent food. Try the scallop dish. Mixed drinks are very good especially the Negroni.Special Features:
- WOWLove2eatDined on 6/14/2014WE HAVE BEEN GOING TO PASTA MOON FOR OVER 20 YEARS,BUT HAVE NOT DONE SO IN THE PAST TWO YEARS BECAUSE WE HAVE NOT GONE TO HALF MOON BAY. WE STARTED WITH A "SPECIAL SOUP." IT WAS A SWEET CORN SOUP. IT WAS SIMPLE AND ELEGANT AT THE SAME TIME. WE ALSO HAD THE PAPPERDELE (SP ?) WITH PANCETTA AND THE PORK CHOPS IN A CHERRY SAUCE WITH MARSCAPONE MASHED POTATOES. BOTH WERE EXCELLENT. FINALLY WE HAD A "SPECIAL" DESSERT A STRAWBERRY PANNA COTTA WITH STRAWBERRIES AND STRAWBERRY SAUCE WHICH RIVALED THE CORN SOUP.Special Features:
- HowardDined on 6/6/2014Pasta Moon is one of our favorite restaurants & we have dinner every time we visit Half Moon Bay. On this occasion the special was lamb osso buco, which sounded fantastic when the server described it. What I got was a different story; it was mostly fat with hardly any lamb and they charged $32 for this! The lasagna and eggplant parmigiana that my wife and daughter ordered were fantastic, but this experience left a bad taste in my mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed meals & eve hereOverthehillDined on 6/4/2014Food and service were exceptional. Had a great experience. Look forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizza and lasagneGordonVIPDined on 6/4/2014Don't miss Pasta Moon if you're traveling near Half Moon Bay. It has the best Italian cooking on the coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta MoonTamalotDined on 6/3/2014Delightful! Reviewers of this restaurant were not wrong. Fresh, delicious food (my friend had the house made spicy lamb sausage with cavetini, a type of rolled up pasta) and I had the wonderful meat-falling-off-the-bone osso buco, which was one of the specials of the evening). Our server was knowledgeable of the in ingredients in the dishes we inquired about. Not too noisy, cozy bar area and plenty of street parking. Due to its popularity, I'd suggest making a reservation, which we did to be on the safe side. A great place to dine!Special Features:
- Great restaurantSpinnaker2013Dined on 5/31/2014My son loves pasta and I took both kids out to dinner and they cleaned the plates from Appetizer to dessert. Great good and our server was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tamalesDined on 5/31/2014Very good food and service. Serviceable setting.Special Features:
- Half Moon Bay's Bestad12VIPDined on 5/29/2014It is there for years, deservingly, and we hope it will be there for more. The flat noodles, in the lasagna and other dishes are heavenly! We should negotiate with some major company to sell it at hole Foods and other premium stores. Contact me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful DayLocalVIPDined on 5/28/2014No traffic on 35 during the week, so nice drive. Parking right in front. Meeting friends for lunch, and were not rushed. Had a problem with the daily special, but waitress very accommodating and the owner/manager came out to apologize, agree, and offered us another entree. So my old stand-by butter nut squash ravioli in sage butter sauce was outstanding. Friend had frito misto, which she really enjoyed. This restaurant, one of our favorites in the area, and with service and food, we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience.calalilyDined on 5/26/2014We visit Half Moon Bay several times a year and dine at Pasta Moon whenever possible. The service is professional and the ambience is welcoming and comfortable.If the scallop and shrimp ravioli is still on the menu make sure someone at the table orders it.....incredible!!!Special Features:
- Not Kid Friendly1fundvlVIPDined on 5/25/2014Please keep in mind when dining at Pasta Moon with your family that it is NOT kid friendly. We were given two menu's to review, none for our 7 & 9 year old. When I inquired about children menu's the waitress in a rush stated that there is cheese pizza, pepperoni pizza and a couple pastas available. Our children both ordered pasta with marinara sauce. The portions for the kids were huge. And when we got the bill, they were charged at the adult portion. It would have been greatly appreciated if the waitress would have explained that they don't have children portions and the kids should split one. Would have changed my dining experience. With many options in Half Moon Bay, families should look elsewhere.
- Good foodFlowerNFoodDined on 5/25/2014Whenever we go to Half Moom Bay, this is the place we have to go. They have great food.Special Features:
- JanesGirlDined on 5/23/2014Jane and I could not have been better. It was our Anniversary. We had the evening special. ThanksSpecial Features:
- The following 1411 reviews are from the Pasta Moon reviews archive.