315 Main St.
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019Neighborhood:
Half Moon Bay
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pastamoon.com/
- Phone: 6507265125
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Kim Levin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Several private rooms are available. Please call restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Teresa Maloney 650-726-5125 x
- Entertainment: Live music every Wednesday in our Music Box Lounge
- Special Events: Annual wine tasting and winemaker dinners. Please sign up for our monthly announcements
A word from Pasta Moon
A popular destination in Half Moon Bay for over 25 years, Pasta Moon Restaurant serves contemporary Italian cuisine using the freshest local produce available- in fact, easily the finest dining on the coast; (and not the most expensive!). You'll find a cozy setting for lunch or dinner, surrounded by old arched casement windows which once brought light into the Burlingame Public Library, and you'll be served by an attentive and knowlegable staff.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Pasta Moon - Best Restaurants in Half Moon Bay ›
Pasta Moon reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)neighborhood gem (103)special occasion (98)romantic (73)great for lunch (55)good for groups (47)notable wine list (47)hot spot (24)kid-friendly (21)vibrant bar scene (20)great for brunch (19)scenic view (5)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Great foodMichaelDined on 8/5/2014I hadn't been to Pasta Moon for many years. We had lunch there the other day and it was a good as I remember. A great place for lunch or dinner when in the San Mateo coast area.Special Features:
- Super Yummy Lasagna!aquavVIPDined on 8/4/2014We enjoyed dinner here for the first time while in Half Moon Bay for our anniversary. The server was great. She was very attentive but not overly so. The Lasagna was amazing! They make their sausage there and was fab... no gristle or nasty stuff... all delicious goodness! We also tried the fried green beans which were delicious but I recommend forgoing the sauce they give with it as it was not a very good match in our opinion but they were great by themselves. I enjoyed the sage butternut ravioli... it was very good. A tad bit overly sweet and could have used a little more sauce, but all in all, quite delicious. My husband enjoyed a scallop and pasta dish they had on special and he said it was amazing. We would definitely return!!!Special Features:
- 12 times, one too many!12manyDined on 8/2/2014Our 6:30PM reservation with a young one for his Grandmother's birthday dinner was "seated" at 7:05PM in the "back forty". The wait person showed up 15 min later. That's as good as it got with her. We finally let my son and his family go at 8:30PM while we waited for her to "ring it up"; which she never did...I had to take to the receptionist to get it taken care of. The food was OK but not even close to our past visits, mostly cold when served. We may go back...for now a $250 lesson learned! By the way, I notified in the reservation that a young one was included...maybe I should not have.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still fabulous!KpmcbDined on 8/2/2014We've been coming to Pasta Moon for over 20 years. It's been exciting to watch them grow in size, popularity and menu sophistication. We started with the mussels which were super flavorful and just alittle spicy. The grilled fruit salad is wonderful and included grilled nectarines. Fresh salmon just seared served Mediterranean style wAs light and flavorful. Pasta special with seared scallops and local veggies, delish. The fresh pasta makes this meal special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vacation DinnerRVRDFWDined on 8/2/2014Great place to dine while on vacation. Very eclectic, quaint, unique, sophisticated and yet charming. Food is reasonably priced and delicious. Make a reservation ahead of time...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!PitpoesDined on 8/1/2014My husband used to eat there when he was a kid with his parents and the place was tiny. We went back several times and never had a bad meal. To give you an example, the table next to us had a guest that could not eat pasta, rice, gluten or sugar and was not happy with the menu but the owner came over and she talked to her to find out exactly what she wanted and was able to accommodate her, the guest was so impressed that she wants to come back. That's what I call customer service and that is hard to find these days.Special Features:
- OTHDinerDined on 8/1/2014Located across the street from where we stayed, this place would qualify as a destination restaurant. The food was excellent (pasta incredible, as were the home made deserts). Service was friendly and knowledgeable. If you are anywhere near Half Moon Bay, Pasta Moon is worth a visit.Special Features:
- Loved it!dawnie85Dined on 7/29/2014It's always a treat to go to Pasta Moon. This time was no exception. We loved everything. We tried new things this time such as the fried green beans and the tagliatelle with scallops. We had some stand-bys like the clam chowder and the best dessert ever--Meyer lemon parfait. Everyone should eat here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lasagna to die forilovegoodfoodDined on 7/27/2014Took out of town friends (who have owned 2 restaurants) for Sunday dinner. Everything was exceptional. All pasta made on site. I ordered the pasta special, tagliatelle and roasted scallops. The flavors were subtle and the pasta fresh. The men both ordered the lasagna. The best anywhere lasagna because they make the pasta sheets on site. Beware, if you order the whole plate you will probably be taking some home. It's a perfect course to share. I just wish they made a vegetarian alternate. Salads all were freshly made. Dressing delicate and subtle. There are now several choices for dinning in Half Moon Bay, but, the service and food at Pasta Moon makes it difficult not to return. The service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Wonderful!eBayfoodieDined on 7/27/2014This lovely restaurant never fails to please. The pasta is incredible! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely location, pretty settingLRMB5Dined on 7/26/2014Nice location for a lunch in cute downtown Half Moon Bay. Service was fine, decor was attractive but there was persistent problem with many flies buzzing around which was unfortunate. The food was a bit overambitious. I had linguini with ahi tuna which was mediocre - too many competing flavors with black olives, capers overpowered the tuna, pasta was too al dente. Another person in our party had pizza margherita, nice crust on the pizza but would rate it a B-/C+ on the pizza margherita scale. We were catching up with an old friend so stayed at the table 2 hours, it was clear after 90 minutes that the waitress was impatient for us to leave in order to free up the table for other diners.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodBuntyDined on 7/25/2014This is my favorite restaurant in the Bay Area. I have never been disappointed - pasta's are great. My favorite is the Butternut Squash Ravioli. Had stuffed zucchini flowers appetizers and they were wonderful, light and flavorful, stuffed with cheese. Service is great, very attentive but not hovering. I can't say enough about this jewel of a restaurant. I have been going there for 15 years and the quality remains tops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceDET9Dined on 7/25/2014Have always loved coming to HMB and eating at Pasta Moon. The Muscles are wonderful as is the rest of their menu items. Great for an afternoon walking around town then settling into a mid day lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't talk...Eating !!NinaChewsDined on 7/23/2014Our table goes silent as the waitperson approaches. We begin eating with our eyes, such lovely presentations. There is no disappointment as each bite tastes better than the next! We did have an odd waitperson experience, but next time we will be sure not to have him, and all will be perfect! On all other visits the service was 5 star. Planning to be back soon and to have my birthday dinner there. We're only 10 minuets away which makes this a constant temptation! Looking forward to next time, soon :)Special Features:
- Half Moon Bay classiccalalilyDined on 7/22/2014We dine at Pasta Moon every time we visit Half Moon Bay. It's comfortably upscale and the food is consistently good.We hope the lace battered green beans stay on the starter menu......wonderful.The pasta is always homemade and delicately sauced.A "must go" after we get our fill of coastside fish and fries houses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but ...JohnDined on 7/20/2014I had the beet salad Beets were minced with burrata on top it was as if the beets were a garnish for the burrata Lasagna was very good Dessert was greatSpecial Features:
- It's about the foodSimchaFredDined on 7/20/2014First rate food - ingredients, prep, combination,and presentation. They're innovative, but not show-offs. Tastes great too. Great service - prompt, never rushed or pushy. Nice wine list. Reasonable sound levels. Really nice decor, recently repainted. It's all about the food and not about being the hippest, 'to be seen at', or amazing decor or artwork. Staff is always friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Pasta MoonchefDined on 7/20/2014Atmosphere, service and food are all exceptional! The wine list has some great Italian finds. The staff is very knowledgeable about the menu and wines. The food was delicious using local produce and peek of the season products. Highly recommend a visit either for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Destination diningms64Dined on 7/19/2014This restaurant is certainly worth the trip to Half Moon Bay. The relaxed atmosphere, with the fabulous food always makes this a great destination!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- drleo wouldn't miss itdrleoDined on 7/18/2014I have been many times and always recommend it to others. One of the best spots around Half Moon Bay. Great Italian food, very well prepared with interesting choices. Pasta homemade and you can tell. Great all Italian wine list with many unusual offerings. Comfortable setting, casual, but still upscale dining, but not at all formal. Restaurant has grown now with a few separate dining areas and nice separate bar at entrance. Get to the beach, then enjoy an afternoon stroll of the interesting shops on Main Street and finish up at Pasta Moon. Makes for a great day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFULCatttDined on 7/18/2014We were amazed with the attentive service! We had two small children with us and they met all their needs from the moment we walked in. The food was outstanding. The appetizers, although smaller in portion, were very tasting. We were shocked to see how large the lunch main entrees were after seeing the size of the appetizers. The bread is still warm and baked fresh there.Special Features:
- great as alwaysGemmaVIPDined on 7/17/2014This is our go-to restaurant for out of town guests and special treats for ourselves. The service is always excellent. The staff is so friendly and I love that they remember us, so welcoming.Special Features:
- Original and CreativeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Pasta Moon hit expectations. The Italian dishes have unique twists and plenty of flavor. The tuna linguini has a gradual intensity of flavor with each bite. Nice place to eat in downtown Half MoonSpecial Features:
- Gem in Half Moon BayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/16/2014While there are a lot of quick food options in HMB, Pasta Moon is a serious, but casual restaurant. Food and service were excellent except for the espressos which were a bit watery. The decor is fun, colorful and with a large, multiple section seating area, a variety of party sizes can be accommodated. We had a fresh linguine with calamari and it was excellent. Al dente pasta and calamari with a touch of seasoned broth. Pasta was steaming when mixed on our plates. Highly recommended. Great find and so much better than the clam shack attitudes of other places where we have encountered high prices for bad fried food and indifferent service.Special Features:
- Hit, Hit and MissBeeLadyDined on 7/14/2014Beautifully remodeled restaurant. The staff was welcoming. Our waiter, Sebastian, detailed the specials and answered our questions with great drama! Miss: clam chowder "sour". Hit: Fried ricotta stuffed squash blossoms (special menu) "out of this world". Hit&Miss: Seared scallops on pappardelle pasta (special menu) "scallops amazing, pasta dry". Hit: Margherita pizza "perfect". Hit&Miss: Ghiradelli butterscotch pudding with whip cream "delicious but hard to eat out of narrow necked glass". We will come back because overall the experience was great.Special Features:
- Great Local RestaurantJeffDined on 7/12/2014Pasta Moon is a real gem tucked away in Half Moon Bay - intimate, great food, and very pleasant wait staff.Special Features:
- Always great food and serviceBeveDined on 7/11/2014We have here many, many times. Always a great choice. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Just OKMookieVIPDined on 7/8/2014We had a prawn appetizer that was merely passable. The shrimp were mushy and tasteless. Our pastas were good. It was convenient to our B&B but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there.
- Consistently excellentStephenDined on 7/7/2014I know that my friends and I will always have a good experience at Pasta Moon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and ServiceLongTimeCustomerVIPDined on 7/7/2014Everything we ordered was so good. The tomatoes on the bruchetta were perfectly ripe and seasoned really well. The butternut squash ravioli (my favorite) is always amazing, the pork chop was juicy and flavorful. The service is also amazing here. The head server was great, but so were the busser and the food runner. All 3 of these men kept a close eye on our table, so whenever we needed another fork, more wine, ground pepper, etc, they were always at hand to help. Such a great dining experience!Special Features:
- Great ingredients!LPwhymustiaddcharactersVIPDined on 7/5/2014Clearly Pasta Moon sources great ingredients -- every single one was perfect. We had the pea and fava bean appetizer, which was excellent and the flavors of feta, olive oil, and lemon were perfectly balances and muted enough to let the legumes shine through. The lemon chicken was simple but perfectly executed. But the pappardelle pancetta was slightly bland and the pasta was overcooked to the point of gumminess, a cardinal sin for a place with pasta in the name and which touts homemade noodles. Finally, our server listed the wrong specials and was completely disinterested, never asking how our food was or offering to get another drink, even tossing dessert menus on the table and leaving without discussion.Special Features:
- To die for lasagnaSeriouslyDisappointedDined on 7/4/2014Our dining experience was truly exceptional! The lasagna was absolutely to die for! By far, the best lasagna, we have ever had! Which is no small compliment because we have lived in New York City! The homemade pasta was so light and delicate! The Meyer lemon meringue dessert was just luscious! The perfect combination of sweet and tart! The service was exceptional! Can't wait to return! Exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie delight in HMBmamakeestDined on 7/4/2014Spent a lovely evening here on July 4th. Ambience is lovely, food was light and modern, with lots of flavors. The lasagna was big enough for two with layers of homemade noodles. Wonderful experience, will definitely come again!Special Features:
- Ocean side findgreatVIPDined on 7/2/2014My wife and I have eaten at this restaurant several times and have yet to have a bad meal! Everything is tasty and steaming hot when brought to the table.Special Features:
- Pasta Moon is on their game!Foodie2014VIPDined on 6/30/2014I first ate at Pasta Moon 15 years ago. We visit Half Moon Bay once or twice a year and make it one of our regular stops. Our meal this time was outstanding. All pastas are made in house and all ingredients are first class. I would put it the equal of Cotogna. The service was excellent. Their remodel (5 years ago) has elevated the interior to the level of the cuisine. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Disappointing...Inge622Dined on 6/29/2014Having dined at Pasta Moon several years ago, I made a reservation for a birthday dinner for two. Although the restaurant was quite slow for a Sunday night at 7pm, our waiter was non-existent most of the time. The food runner and busboys did a great job of making sure that we got our salad and entrees, but I finally had to go over to the hostess to get our waiter's attention to order coffee and dessert. The food itself was just okay. I had the scallop and fettuccine special which came drowned in olive oil. My friend had the grilled swordfish (also a special) which also came drenched in olive oil. All in all, a very disappointing evening.
- Beautiful day on the coast.PatrickVIPDined on 6/29/2014Enjoyable lunch on a beautiful on the coast. Excellent food, great wine, wonderful friends.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening!626dinerDined on 6/27/2014We had a great meal at Pasta Moon. We aren't foodies . . . .but we can recognize great tasting food. The fresh made pasta was exceptional and the special starter (beet and burrata) was delicious. Our waiter recommended a wonderful bottle of wine (and it didn't break the bank). We were only visiting the area for the weekend but wish we could eat at Pasta Moon every weekend. It's obvious that the locals love this place and eat there often.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/16/2014We have eaten at Pasta Moon 1 to 2 times per year over the last 5 years. I have to say that the food seems to get better each time we go.Special Features:
- Our favorite in HMBRonnieDined on 6/15/2014Excellent food. Try the scallop dish. Mixed drinks are very good especially the Negroni.Special Features: