The Red Lion Inn
30 Main St
Stockbridge, MA 01262Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Red Lion Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.redlioninn.com/
- Phone: 4132985545x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Please note: The Main Dining Room is open daily for breakfast year-round. We serve lunch and dinner daily from mid-April through December. On Mondays and Tuesdays from January through mid-April, lunch and dinner are available in our Tavern only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian J. Alberg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: According to tradition, some of the Inn's first guests were colonial Yankees who met here in 1773 to defy King George III-with revolutionary results. Today, our fully equipped meeting rooms continue to provide quiet, distraction-free settings and modern amenities for companies, associations and non-profit groups with their own important agendas. Paired with exceptional service, renowned dining, and convenient access from the Northeast's major metropolitan areas, The Red Lion Inn offers an exceptional and refreshing choice for meetings, conferences and retreats.
- Private Party Facilities: For generations, The Red Lion Inn has helped families celebrate weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, engagements, and other special occasions with great food, exceptional service, and warm New England hospitality. Whether your event is a party for eight or a banquet for eighty, we'll be happy to help you choose a location and plan the perfect event-with menus to accommodate every style and circumstance. Contact us at the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Red Lion Inn Sales Department 4132981604x
- Entertainment: We offer live entertainment nightly in the Lion's Den pub, year-round and never a cover charge!
- Special Events: Celebrate your special event with great food, exceptional service and value, and warm New England hospitality. We'll be happy to help you plan the perfect event for 8 to 80 that will accommodate every style and circumstance. Contact us at (413) 298-1604.
- Cross Street: Route 7 & 102
- Public Transit: Several bus lines get folks to the Berkshires -- Peter Pan and its affiliates stop across the street from the Red Lion. There is public transportation in the Berkshires through the Berkshire Regional Transit Authority.
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample parking behind the Inn, but guests may also park out front (no overnight parking on Main Street in the winter!).
A word from The Red Lion Inn
Since welcoming its first guests in 1773, The Red Lion Inn has earned a reputation for outstanding food and genuine country hospitality. Those traditions are continued today by Executive Chef Brian J. Alberg, whose kitchen features contemporary cuisine that is rooted in the region's history and harvests. Emphasizing the use of fresh, local ingredients and a huge proponent of buying locally and sustaining the region, Chef Alberg regularly updates the Inn's menus to reflect the bounty of each season. Guests choose from the elegant Main Dining Room, the cozy Widow Bingham's Tavern, the casual Lion's Den pub, or, in warmer months, the flower-filled Courtyard. The wine list offers 450+ selections, and has received the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for ten consecutive years; Sommelier Dan Thomas helps pair wines with meals. *The Inn accepts reservations for the Main Dining Room only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Red Lion Inn - Best Restaurants in Stockbridge ›
The Red Lion Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (92)romantic (65)fit for foodies (46)great for lunch (44)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (32)notable wine list (28)great for brunch (24)scenic view (19)great for outdoor dining (14)kid-friendly (10)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Amazing!Sunni1206Dined on 5/17/2014They just don't make like this anymore! Beautiful Inn, great food. Just a beautiful destination, love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumyumDined on 5/13/2014Though I felt like I stepped back in time, the meals ( we had dinner and breakfast in the dining room) the food was delicious by today's standards. The perfect serving size of delicious food, presentation wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DSTER2GODined on 5/10/2014Everyone should dine here at least once in their lifetime to know what fine dining is like!Special Features:
- Wonderful Mother's Day surprise!LadyBDined on 5/10/2014My two daughter's took me here for Mother's Day and it was the Best! Wonderful elegant decor, fantastic food, great service! It is located in one of my favorite nostalgic towns, Stockbridge, MA. The Red Lion Inn has been here for a very long time , with good reason . You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Special Occasion LunchEmmaDined on 5/8/2014Met my elderly parents for an early Mother's Day Lunch. Waiter Ronnie did a fantastic job recommending perfect and beautifully matched main corse and dessert for his no lactose no gluten dietary needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special lunchExceptionalDined on 4/25/2014We always have a wonderful, special, and classy lunch when we go to the Red Lion Inn! We enjoy it tremendously, and you get the royal treatment from everyone.Special Features:
- Good, not greatSNYdinerDined on 4/19/2014This review is for the main dining room. Overall, it was a good dinner. The menu is not particularly exciting, just classic American food. Service is a little more casual than I would have liked, but pleasant.Special Features:
- DSTER2GODined on 4/18/2014IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR GREAT FOOD FROM LOCAL FARMS IN A HISTORIC INN WITH FABULOUS OPTIONS--THIS IS YOUR SPOT!Special Features:
- Excellent foodGeorgeDined on 4/11/2014Very impressed with the food I would compare this to the Capitol grille or the Ruth Chris of the berkshires. Excellent foot creatively prepared and still very home style comfort food. If you have the money it's worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceDorothyDined on 4/6/2014The Red Lion Inn is a special treat for special occasions. Outstanding service and always good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing few hoursOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2014I met friends from other towns for lunch on a recent Friday. The food was good, prices reasonable, and service excellent. After a leisurely lunch we were able to extend our visit together in one of the seating areas in the large lobby. The gift shop had some interesting finds. All in all, highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful InnLovlinyDined on 3/21/2014We had a wonderful weekend at The Red Lion Inn. The whole experience was lovely. This is just such a special place. Ambiance is warming and welcoming. The food is extraordinary and the entire staff is knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. One of my favorite places to stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014We celebrated my mother's 75th and my son's 25th at the Red Lion Inn. It was a very enjoyable experience. Wait staff was great. The staff proactively followed up with me prior to our scheduled reservation to ensure our needs we're met.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very classy and excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014We had talked about staying at the Red Lion Inn for years and we finally made it. The dining room was as charming and high-quality as the hotel. Excellent menu with vegetarian options ( important for me ) and the ambience was fantastic. Perfect for any special occasion. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed a traditional visit.JasmineDined on 3/9/2014We enjoyed a traditional visit. We have gone off and on for 50 years. Attention to floors linens and silver is so nice, but having to remind one's server for your drinks several times is not nice.
- Special PlacePattioVIPDined on 2/28/2014As always, the Red Lion Inn offers old New England elegance, charm, and outstanding food fresh from local sources. Such a special place each and every time we come!Special Features:
- Old school charmjb2000Dined on 2/16/2014It was nice to find a dining experience that was old school charming and great food. It was so nice to also find a place with such a large room it was great if you are a bigger group as most places in the area are small. Also it seemed very quiet when we arrived at 6 pm which concerned me with small kids. But shortly after once the room was full it was fine and the kids noise did not matter at all. There were children at every table but still an elegant environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A piece of history worth visitingrovingfoodieDined on 2/16/2014I've been to the Red Lion Inn a number of times for lunch and have never been disappointed. The ambiance of the main dining room makes you feel like you're in a Norman Rockwell picture and the easy nature of the staff makes you forget the stress of modern day life. We really enjoyed the Maple Dijon dressing and the chicken pot pie was great. The desserts were well worth the calories and the apple pie portion was large enough for two. If you're looking for a more relaxed environment try to bar in the main house or the Lion's Den downstairs (live music at night).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice!HighexpectationsDined on 2/15/2014Excellent food, ambiance, great get away. Would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- some-what disappointedDinearoundDined on 2/14/2014The food was at best "good' our waitress although friendly was lost in the weeds as more tables began to fill. She seemed to be more attentive to a group of six that was seated as we were near completing our dinner and at that point was hard to find. Also over a two night period I ordered the same VO Manhattan three different times and was charged three different prices, $10. $11. and &12. why is that?Special Features:
- Beautifully HistoricOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014The Inn was a beautiful place to dine with a very romantic and intimate setting for Valentine's Day. Food was delicious vas through service was wonderful. Only disappointment we had were the children running around. For a fine dining establishment on a romantic holiday... Kids should NOT have been present. We ended up rushing through our dinner to escape the noise and distraction the children.Special Features:
- Red Lion InnAnonymousDined on 2/7/2014Great food; spectacular service. Wonderful establishment for any occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Nice atmosphere.fannyDined on 2/1/2014Good food. Nice atmosphere. In the middle of everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Americana!brand3Dined on 12/27/2013From the American fare of chicken, steak, pork, and fish, combined with an ambiance straight out of Yankee Magazine, the Red Lion's three dining areas ooze of New England Americana unlike no other. There's something here for every price range...from the inexpensive tavern and pub to the pricey main dining room, the experience is unforgettable. Red Lion Inn is for everyone. Either a casual lunch in the pub or tavern or a special occasion in the dining room, everyone can be accomodated. Great for families, romantic dates, and very special occasions. A true gem. What America is all about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful holiday lunch experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013The Red Lion is always the perfect place for special occasions. Our recent corporate luncheon to celebrate the Christmas season was yet another memorable experience for all in attendance. Fine food, terrific service, and the beauty of the place and locale made for a wonderful afternoon!Special Features:
- SpecialHengDined on 12/8/2013Very special place to dine. Unfortunately, we felt ignored by the server. This is the first time we have had any negative experience at the Red Lion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/6/2013Great experience. Waitress 'Christy' was wonderful. Dinner cost was $120.00 for two people, including tip. We both had prime rib, it was excellent and well presentated. Dining room was beautifully decorated. A real treat to myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu needs revampingFamilyfunDined on 11/30/2013We have gone to the RLI for over 25 yrs. The food has declined over the years. The menu is the same every year except for a special. Need a chicken on the menu! The prime rib needs some flavoring! Desserts also always the same. Used to have that great toll house pie, and what happened to the onion soup? Our server Blaine was a fantastic young man and was a fine waiter!Special Features:
- romantic evening2intooneDined on 11/30/2013evening was very special, a corner table, wine and a lovely meal, special placeSpecial Features:
- Classic New EnglandLionloverDined on 11/27/2013The Red Lion Inn preserves the colonial atmosphere of Stockbridge. Food is always good and everyone in the Main Dining room clearly is enjoying the ambiance. Kid friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerDavclaDined on 11/26/2013Lot's of choices. Soup and salad were very good. I was disappointed with the New York Strip. Very ordinary, oven broiled ,could have got it anywhere. Place is lovely, lot's of charm. Looking forward to going back again next year when we travel through the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We visited Red Lion for aTSLSVIPDined on 11/24/2013We visited Red Lion for a lunch with our parents. The Red Lion Inn has a nostalgic, old New England feel to it, and the menu has a similar theme. We sampled the Yankee Pot Roast, Fried Scrod and Chicken Pot Pie, and all were very good, albeit not that exciting entree choices, just good solid comfort food. The inn was welcoming and service was very good, as we had two servers, both young women, one who appeared to be a trainee. They were very attentive and the pacing of the meal was good. All in all, this was a nice location for a special occasion lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experience! !OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013Had a great dinner with fantastic atmosphere and incredible friends. .. our server was so much fun and treated us like royalty!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional but still great!KayGDined on 11/9/2013OK - this is a 200 year old inn, so lots of the categories above did not apply. But is was a wonderful dining experience, with great service and a solid list of food choices. Our meals were very good and the Maple Bourbon Manhattan was a treat! Lots of interesting desserts, dessert coffees, and dessert martinis also. We were happy that we ate at such a historic inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in BerkshireGreg13Dined on 11/9/2013The place is so known and well established that does not need recommendationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for All OccasionsWFranDined on 10/28/2013I took my girlfriend of 50 years ago to dinner at The Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. We had not seen each other since 1962. It was a perfect setting for a 50 year reunion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There were four of us, weHazzardsDined on 10/27/2013There were four of us, we all had a great mean but mine, the lamb shephards pie was exceptional! Couldn't stop talking about if with others.Special Features:
- Our Fall Anniversary Get AwayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2013We had dinner in the main dining room during our recent visit to Stockbridge. The dining room is elegant, food selection and quality very good. Ordered tenderloin and pork sirloin, both were cooked to order and very tender. Server was pleasant but not overly attentive. Would have liked more bread and coffee after dinner but was never asked. Shouldn’t have to chase down the waitress for refills. First impression of the Inn was disappointment. The lobby was a bit chaotic, atmosphere dark and there was a strong odor of old ashes from the fireplace. Inn is old and classic but it could use a change of paint and rugs to brighten up the dreary ambience. Thankfully, the meal was good but the drab atmosphere is what we remember most about the place!Special Features:
- Red Lion Inn Remains a ClassicOCBobDined on 10/26/2013We made reservations using Open Table for a Saturday night. The restaurant was on time for a busy Saturday night. Although slow to start our evening the service was polite, friendly and efficient. The food was terrific using local products. The arugula salad starting us off was terrific as were the collection of breads from a local bakery. We both had pork loin which was perfectly prepared. So frequently it is overcooked and dry but not here. Fore dessert we had a pumpkin creme brulee which was deep and more mousse like than custard but very tasty. Total cost, including 3 glasses of wine and a Berkshire Distillery Vodka martin, with 20% tip was $162. Ambiance is classic, old New England. A lovely destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming classicJodesBDined on 10/25/2013We loved the red lion inn. Feels like you've been transported back in time with old world elegance and charm. Plenty of options to choose from on the menu. My husband enjoyed the local beer sampler. The prime rib was melt in your mouth good. Loved the warm crackling fire and the soft piano music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.