1610 20th St NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.darlingtonhousedc.com/
- Phone: 2023323722x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:30am - 5:00pm;
Lunch Monday - Friday 11:30am until 5pm Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Fabio Begggiato
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Happy Hour Monday - Friday & all sporting events in the Cantina Pub
A word from Darlington House
Darlington House is a historic Row house that has been transformed into a multi-level restaurant & lounge in the heart of DuPont Circle. Fabio and Patricia Beggiato have poured all their passion and training into every aspect of this house and created a lively restaurant serving rustic yet refined Italian cooking using simple, fresh organic and sustainable ingredients. A breathtaking urban scape through bay windows in the main Dining Room and Circle Bar (1st floor), make this one of DC's most charming dining rooms. The Cantina Pub (street level)is a rustic, casual and family friendly neighborhood bar with great Pub Grub, TV's & a delightful outdoor patio. The second floor Library is a perfect venue for your next private affair; seating up to 70 & receptions up to 150. Exquisite cocktails and an extensive and thoughtful wine & beer list make Darlington House the perfect place to relax with friends & neighbors. Brunch is served every Sat & Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Darlington House reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)romantic (27)special occasion (25)good for groups (20)fit for foodies (20)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (12)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (6)scenic view (6)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Okay ExperienceLisaDined on 1/24/2014The atmosphere was nice and the service good but the food nothing special. I wouldn't rush back.
- Almost StuffyNickNDined on 1/17/2014This is a place you want to go if you are trying to impress someone. The service is awesome and the food is pretty good. I felt a little out of place there for a business lunch. This is more they type of place you want to go if you are trying to impress someone. I was just there with a bunch of co-workers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- supreme disappointmentscooterDined on 1/14/2014The food on the menu advertised for Restaurant Week was not available. My pasta was dull and tasteless. The dessert was so horrendous I had to spit it out in my napkin. My friend's entre was presented like something your mom gives you before sending you to your room; Fish and green beans on a white plate with no garnish, no enhancement, nothing. The staff was excellent. The food was worse than a Cracker Barrel outside a federal penitentiary in Arkansas.Special Features:
- Great for group diningtonywestsiderDined on 1/12/2014The Darlington House is great for group dining in Dupont Circle. They had no problems taking a reservation for a group of 12 in the heart of a high-volume conference location, where it was difficult getting dinner reservations for a group. Good food and wine selection. Our group was happy with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spaghetti and crab!!!ClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 1/11/2014This is one of my fav Italian restaurants. Took a small group last night and we started with an awesome recommended red vino. We began with some tomato and mozzarella, calamari. Dinner was outstanding; Lamb chops - best around!, salmon dish was outstanding. spaghetti and crab was an awesome dish. Truly an enjoyable evening with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overly Attentive StaffnorabeanDined on 1/11/2014Took our niece to lunch there on Saturday, January 11th. The decor was lovely. The staff was too attentive for our taste, the maitre' d came to our table at least 3 times to check on us and suggest drink and food -even while we were eating. The waiter also came by several times as well. It was a little overwhelming. The food was good. The soup of the day a creamy potato and leek was delicious. My niece and I split a veggie panini with fries while my husband has a burger with a salad. The food was fresh tasting and satisfying. Overall, our lunch was enjoyable.Special Features:
- A Special Place for Special FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/10/2014I too my childhood friend there for brunch for her 70th birthday. It was just the right amount of old time elegance and a delicious combination of new twists on old favorites and wasn't too expensive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service on NYEOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013We had a delightful time for dinner at Darlington House on New Year's Eve. The place was packed with people but the food and service was just as impecible as if we were the only two people in the restaurant. I firmly believe darlington house has the finest plantain in all of dc. The lamb chops were great , the drinks strong, and ambience energetic. This place is a must on the DC restaurant circuit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentlove2dineVIPDined on 12/30/2013Beautiful restaurant. Food and service is excellent and affordable. I will definitely go back and recommend to everyone to try it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/20/2013The food has always been delicious at The Darlington House but the staff was simply superb this time around. From the management to the servers - everyone was attentive and courteous and made sure that the folks in our group that had dietary restrictions had options and were also well taken care of. They get an A+!Special Features:
- A real gem, worth visitingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/17/2013Great décor, terrific ambience, and outstanding food. Definitely worth checking out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyableluvjazz60VIPDined on 12/17/2013This was my first time dining here. The food was very good and the service above and beyond. When I asked my server for the name of a wine I had he not only told me it he wrote it down for me because he heard me say I wanted to buy some. That to me is over the top service!Special Features:
- Excellent dining Lovely venueChickVIPDined on 12/12/2013You will want to return again and again. A real pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PartyClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 12/11/2013We had a table for 12 and we had a wonderful time. Food was awesome as they brought out great starters. Meats, fish, pizza's were perfect as we all sat and enjoyed converstaion and vino. Dinner was a mix of pastas and some great chicken marsla. desserts and coffee ended a wonderful eveing. Always a wonderful and relaxing place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best....ClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 12/5/2013Italian food and italian food. The real deal. I always go with their wine options as we figure out dinner. seafood and pasta were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT EVERYTHINGlove2dineVIPDined on 12/3/2013Darlington House is the place to go. whether for special events like cocktail parties to weddings, or a simple romantic dinner, or a small group with friends or coworkers. The restaurant is set up perfectly; although the seating could be close to others. The noise level is just right unless they have a lot of parties. The food is the best Italian I have had yet. The service is great, the servers know what they're offering and won't lie to you. They have a flexible menu for vegetarians or gluten free. They sure know how to make you feel welcomed and the only person in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experienceBobKDined on 12/3/2013I met a friend for dinner this week at Darlington House. We had been there once before more than a year ago. We were seated in the restaurant part which was quieter and more enjoyable than the bar area which was quite busy. It was a good spot for the two of us to talk and catch up. The food was excellent and the wine was as well. The service was very good too. I look forward to returning again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't let the name fool youDrJayVIPDined on 11/29/2013Darlington House serves top notch Italian food at very competitive prices. My party dined on housemate spinach spaghetti with salmon, veal scallopini in white wine sauce and a braised boleto style beef. All were excellent. The atmosphere is old world as well with lots of glass and wood and quiet music.Special Features:
- perfect thanks giving dinnerCRDFDined on 11/28/2013We had a delicious thanksgiving dinner at darlington house. Everything was perfect! Would definitely recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingKileTVIPDined on 11/23/2013Great food but call ahead to ensure there are no loud weddings upstairs the night you go. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Wonder Meal and Service!KateVIPDined on 11/19/2013The food is amazing every time I go to Darlington House, whether its dinner or brunch. But equally great are the manager and the waiters - They make you feel so welcome and offer wonderful suggestions. I had a long talk about Sicily with the manager the last time I was there - loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful DarlingtonBennyVIPDined on 11/14/2013Every experience at Darlington House seems to outshine the previous. Fabio Beggiato is one of the finest restauranteurs in Washington, DC, and his Osso Bucco with saffron risotto is the best in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife had the StracottoPaulVIPDined on 11/13/2013My wife had the Stracotto Della Zia, which she said was the best beef she has ever had but the polenta was bland. I had the salmon and it was amazing. Highly recommend this restaurant. We would love to return to this restaurant and enjoy other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faux PasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013Had two members of the party cover the tip for the whole group and the restaurant called to ask for more tip because the other members of the party didn't leave a tip on their credit card receipt (because it had been covered by the others). Very rude.
- Dependable DuPont DarlingEpicureDined on 10/30/2013The Italian restaurant, that carries the unlikely name of Darlington House, is dependable for very good food (e.g. pastas are made in house) at reasonable prices with very good service. We have eaten there before, and it has become a dependable place for us. The menu has adequate variety, and it is more than just a pasta place, and the wine list, while limited, has several excellent choices at reasonable prices (e.g. an '08 Montepulciano at $45 that was excellent). Service is prompt and friendly without being intrusive or cute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2013Great Dupont Circle location. Excellent service. The home made pasta is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok - not bad, not great.Mi2Mi2Dined on 10/27/2013It was ok - not bad, not great. The host was intoxicated to the point of stumbling and incoherent. The food was average the prices high for average food. I can't say that I would recommend it but I didn't hate it either.
- SweetBarbsterDined on 10/25/2013I really enjoyed the atmosphere. Such a great way to end a week. The staff was so helpful and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful ExperiencegoodskingoodskinDined on 10/20/2013Ambience was comfortable with moderate to low lighting and low to moderate noise level (suitable for conversation). Service was professional, friendly, and prompt but non-intrusive. Hot food was served hot. The Caprese Salad could have used more basil. Food was as described on the menu and by the waiter. The pastas we tried were wonderful as well as al dente. Portions were satisfying. A very pleasant experience overall. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this placeBobbiVIPDined on 10/20/2013Delicious brunch/lunch. Friendliest staff. Beautiful room and then downstairs is a big bar and lots of comfortable tables with a lot of TVs and a sign reading every game every Sunday. Wish I lived in DC. What a great ideaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unprepared and non-accomodatingXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDined on 10/19/2013I made the reservation for my party two weeks ago. We walked in 15 minutes ahead of our time and they were not prepared. We had to wait an exceptional amount of time for our table. They squished us in to a table that could not handle our number while a smaller party received a much larger table. The waiter was abrupt and made us feel like we were a burden. He messed up our food orders. And the pasta all came out overcooked. I would never recommend this place. And we will never return to it.
- Thoroughly dependableProntomacVIPDined on 10/19/2013So many restaurants in town toot their pasta. DH makes almost all of their own from scratch, and it is easy to tell--just right, clearly fresh and always sauced sensibly. One of my guests ordered lasagne of all things, and even it was something to crow about. Fabio and his staff do an excellent job, and you can feel the signature of Italy in the soul of the kitchen.Special Features:
- Excellent homemade pastaPickyeaterVIPDined on 10/18/2013Great for vegetarians and pescetarians! The crab/shrimp panzerotti and butternut squash tortelloni were excellent! Special requests were glady noted!Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!CCHSDined on 10/17/2013We arrived Late in the evening- really at closing for the upstairs dining room -- and the staff could not have been nicer. We had a wonderful dinner and truly enjoyed ourselves. Will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantgniouDined on 10/6/2013very good food, good atmosphere, service is perfect, friendly staffSpecial Features:
- Nice food, slow serviceMarieDined on 10/5/2013I just celebrated a birthday at Darlington House. Overall, the experience went well. The food and wine were excellent. I think my only complaint would be the service. Our server was not overly attentive and there were several moments when we had to flag him over to order. Though, he and his assistants did keep the wine flowing nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Confused decorHelenDined on 9/26/2013For about 2 years, I have intended to go to Darlington House and finally managed to. I was immediately struck by the confused decor - walls covered in Shephard Fairey prints, odd lighting fixtures and old world chair covers. Nothing seemed to complement the old and elegant architecture of the building or the "Italian-infused American cuisine". The food was ok; the dessert and drink menu (you can order Prosecco here) being the most memorable. Cannoli, however, would be a nice addition to the otherwise impressive listing of Italian desserts. If the prices were lower, I would consider coming back for a meal. At these prices, however, best to eat elsewhere and just enjoy an after dinner dessert here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dateddcfoodieDined on 9/21/2013Dated seats and appearance, food took too long...we both had pasta why the 25 min wait, limited menu.Special Features:
- This was just a wonderfulChicagoToDCVIPDined on 9/21/2013This was just a wonderful brunch experience -- really attentive server, food was delicious and prompt. The donuts are a really delicious start to brunch, so don't miss out on those.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian Food in DCJoefoodieDined on 9/12/2013We travel constantly,NYC,Miami,Boston,San Francisco ...the food here is outstanding! It is our go to place when clients are in town or just for a romantic dinner for me and my wife. Francesco, Ernesto and Marlin make you feel like you are their family. Molto Bene!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.