Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
2401 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marcelsdc.com/
- Phone: 2022961166x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm;
Mon-Thurs 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Fri-Sat 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian, French
- Executive Chef: Paul Stearman, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Marcel's provides complimentary driving service to and from the Kennedy Center seven nights a week. Pre-theater menu recommended for customers who want to make curtain time.
A word from Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier - Best Restaurants in Foggy Bottom ›
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (132)romantic (109)fit for foodies (108)notable wine list (73)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (8)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- LindaDined on 5/22/2014wonderful as always. So attentive and such good food. Always sorry to have to leaveSpecial Features:
- Not as sedate as in the pastZackDined on 5/17/2014Past pretheater dinners at Marcel's had always been a unqualified joy with everything happening in a smooth, sedate, seemingly effortless way. Not this time, however. This time it was a noisy, with remarkably loud noises coming from the staff and waiters near the kitchen. It was hectic, with lots of staff rushing around to tables on all sides. Maybe the lower room is better than the first room now. Despite the nice food, Marcel's was no longer the quiet, sophisticated place from years past.Special Features:
- SurpriseBoricuaDined on 5/16/2014We found this place by pure luck . We were looking for a French restaurant and came up upon this one through Open Table. More surprised I was to see their "fixed menu" offering . The choices were excellent and in spite of being small portions they were satisfying and we left with our stomach very full after only four plates. The best of them, was impossible to choose but the mussels dish was outstanding. No rush, excellent service by Ernesto, can not wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Chair CushionsFBReviewDined on 5/16/2014My wife and I had a perfect evening in every way. The only thing I can critique was the chair I sat in. Lovely as they are, the seat cushions were not adequately cushioned. I'm 168 lbs. I sank below the wooden frame of the chair as the chair cushion was not firm enough to prevent this. I did not try another chair, but I would take a look at this. It is pretty uncomfortable to sit in a chair in which you sink BELOW the seat frame, forcing one to hunch over while feeling the uncomfortable wooden frame surrounding and pressuring your legs and rear. The cushion should allow me to sit above the seat frame. No question, at least the chair I had, this was a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting with excellent wines by glamadredelobolocoDined on 5/15/2014As a single, I would have preferred being seated away from others, not immediately adjacent to filled tables on either side - one of which talked incessantly. That aside, the dinner was lovely. I selected 5 courses and had a lovely Sancerre by the glass. The fish and the fois gras were excellent, as was the cheese course. I was disappointed that one had to select only one cheese however. Souffle for dessert was OK - but too small.Special Features:
- MagnificentIWantQuietRstrntVIPDined on 5/12/2014Superb food, great service (waiter Jonathan!), great maitre d' helped find perfect location. Tops in every way.Special Features:
- Wonderful Mother's Day BrunchCLaneDined on 5/11/2014The service, food & entire experience was fabulous during a 3-course Mother's Day Brunch. The courses had a great variety with the scallop, soft shell crab & surprising stand-out-tomato soup-were delightful. The main courses were equally exciting. Dessert was unreal, I would go back simply for the souffle & cappuccino. The service was outstanding...my Mother & entire family left stuffed & thrilled.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014A mediocre brunch. Over salted fish and scallops . No way worth the $70 fixed menu.
- Perfect Meal, Perfect Service.JabsDined on 5/10/2014I'm an Event Director, a foodie and I'm spoiled by the perks of my profession. Really I don't need nor want anything "fancy" fir the sake of being fancy. I love good food, fresh ingredients, well thought out menus and fabulous service. Marcels embodied all of the above. Mature, experienced wait staff can make or break a meal and they have it down to a science.... witty, attentive and knowledgeable. The food, the main attraction amazing! Mussels fondue, scallops, turbot, filet, bison, pasta and chocolate molten cake and praline ice cream all AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coasting on its reputationFoodLoverDined on 5/10/2014Still great food but service was spotty. Courses were mixed up, and/or forgotten, water glasses stayed empty, fresh bread wasn't offered. For the high prices charged, they need to do much better. And the dining room is just tired looking - nothing special about it.Special Features:
- Don't go to Marcel's hungryCapitolHillVIPDined on 5/10/2014Don't get me wrong---the food is superb and presentation stunning. But at $85 for four courses, don't expect more than two bites in any course. Even as the server explains the dishes get "heavier" as you move through the menu, the duck breast among these "heavier" items was no more than four tiny half-bites served with a sliver of something the menu called confit but that was more pate-like in consistency. Can't argue with quality, etc, but really---another bite or two (or three) would be welcome.
- the bestcountrydinerDined on 5/9/2014Marcel's is a treasure. The food is fantastic, the service impeccable, the atmosphere delightful. If we lived in DC we would be regulars. As it is, we never fail to make a reservation when we are there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Food in DCDan77Dined on 5/7/2014Marcel's is a stereotypical French food restaurant in that the menu is presented as seven courses with 3 or more choices per course and your ability to choose a number of courses. You also have the option to select menu items as a la carte. Very good wine list with an emphasis on French wines. The food preparation and presentation is exquisite and portions are such that you can enjoy several courses. Price is relatively high as is also typical of a restaurant with such dedication to quality and presentation. My one critical comment would be that the chairs do not have a comfortable back but this may be unique to me and my physical issues. Overall a great place for a romantic dinner of fine food presented with visual appeal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not provide car service.JRBigMouthVIPDined on 5/6/2014Restaurant failed to provide advertised car service. We were early and they made us wait in the bar despite being half empty. Will not return.
- Great food...great service!!!foodiegpDined on 5/2/2014Did a six course tasting menu for 2. We each had different dishes so it was 12 different plates. Every dish was perfect. Service was impeccable- staff was very attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/1/2014Both the food and the service were absolutely perfect. Marcel's has the balance absolutely right between serving you the second you need it and crowding you. I felt like a waiter appeared whenever I wanted something, but at no time did I feel they were hovering. I also point out that I was coming straight from a separate appointment to dinner severely underdressed for this restaurant and at no time did the waitstaff bat an eyelash - and that is what service is about: making the guest feel comfortable. I really appreciated that. The food, well, the food was just spectacular. That is a given. And the price tag at the end of the night wasn't too bad for the quality that you receive. Overall, I was VERY impressed!Special Features:
- Very expensive for what it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/1/2014Food varied from good to very good. Did not like the service-we don't want our conversation often interrupted to ask how we liked the food. Waiter had never heard of Pastis. Aboved all, very, very expensive for what it was
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/27/2014Awesome culinary experience. We brought some library wines and they were true professionals and took care of the pouring and decantingSpecial Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2014Over the top food, superb service but outrageously overpriced. Equally great food at half the price at other DC restaurants.Special Features:
- Classic fine diningAnonDined on 4/26/2014Superb food served in classic style but with a modern approach. Service attentive but not intrusive as you would expect from such a restaurant. A delightful dining experience.Special Features:
- Traditionally ExcellentJFK44VIPDined on 4/25/2014Marcel's is a delicious surprise. It serves accomplished cuisine, very well, in a great room - but in a style I feared had gone out of fashion this century. The food was classic, beautifully composed, elegantly served in hushed and comfortable surroundings. Indeed it felt and tasted like the late 90's, the waiters did not spout on about the ingredients, their provenance or the innovations of the chef. The food spoke for itself - and it spoke well. An antidode to the vacant posturing of some current restaurants.Special Features:
- One of DC's best.B4theaterVIPDined on 4/25/2014Infrequently before a Kennedy Center event, we dine at Marcel's, so we have never really tried out the tasting menu. The pre-theater menu is much more imaginative than similar fare in other restaurants. The staff serve at an appropriate pace for the time of the event. My dining companion is allergic to dairy, but at Marcel's they don't make heavy weather of it. The chef just does something to meet his needs. Everything we have ever eaten here has been delicious, without being precious. Yes, it's a bit pricey, which is why we don't do it every time we go to the Kennedy Center, but it is well worth the cost on occasion. The limo to our next destination after the meal is just icing on the metaphorical cake!Special Features:
- Delicious food, impeccable serviceDGrangerDined on 4/23/2014Definitely returning. Great attention to detail . Staff was helpful without being overbearing. Ideal place for an anniversary celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a must in dcKeiCDined on 4/22/2014Pricey, but well worth the experience; exquisite tastes; impeccable (& polite) service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the topWinstonDined on 4/22/2014Wonderful experience. New innovated foods. Service excellent. Noise level approached alittle loud in such a fine setting. Attentiion to details excellent. Food choices amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!KrioxDined on 4/21/2014We were warmly received. The four course dinner for two persons (different choices for each person) was almost perfect. Menu changes frequently, therefore it is useless describing what we had. 1st course: one exceptional and the other was just good. 2nd course: one exceptional and the other was just good. Main course: both outstanding. Desserts: both wonderful. A good, well selected, wine list, with reasonable prices for a high end restaurant. Wine by the glass: limited number, could be more extensive (using argon for conservation would make it possible). I would recommend for anyone who enjoys French modern cuisine.Special Features:
- RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/20/2014We were having the 7 course tasting menu. We sat down and almost immediately were asked if we were ready to order without offering us cocktails to start or a wine menu. We were told that the portions were small so we ordered the 7 course tasting. The portions were very large for a tasting. Food was good, but no "wow" factor. As soon as our plates were picked up from one course, the next course came immediately after. We felt extremely rushed and unwelcome even though we spent close to $600. We were disappointed and would not return.
- MemorableRoverVIPDined on 4/20/2014I'd been trying to get to Marcel's for some time but for various reasons have had to unexpectedly cancel reservations. Finally got there for Easter brunch and was very pleased. The food was excellent - from the white and green asparagus soup to the lamb trio, finally topped off by the pot de creme, although my partner's chocolate souffle with pistachio sauce was even better, which was quite an achievement. The only nattering detail was the open kitchen from where we could hear orders being politely placed. I expect that it was intentionally meant to add a certain je ne sais quois ambience. Otherwise, a quite memorable experience, and we hope to return soon.Special Features:
- An Easter Weekend TreatjohnstownjonoDined on 4/19/2014Needed a special place for our weekend away from the kids and this was it. A taste extravaganza. Between the belgian mussels to the melted triple creme cheese course and our outstanding waiter Jonathan, we could not have been happier. It also helped that a bar doesnt serve child's portions when it comes to pouring a drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food & excellent serviceChevez7799Dined on 4/17/2014The food was amazing and superb service. Worth mentioning is that they provide complimentary private limo transfer to your theatre or in our case even our hotel nearby. We didn't have to flag for a cab as soon as we walked out of the restaurant their chauffeur kindly asked us if we drove and as soon as we said we will get a cab, he asked us to follow him into the limo. We appreciate the nice ending touch and even though it was complimentary ride we were more than happy to tip him anyway!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special occassionOtters1216Dined on 4/16/2014Marcel's lived up to the hype. The service was amazing and the food was great. Menus change daily so don't expect the menu online to match what they are serving that day but it is a good indicator of the flavors and dishes you should expect. Portions were perfect for a 4 course meal. Couldn't imagine being able to eat more than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great at everythingAKconDined on 4/16/2014it was my birthday and it was an amazing dinner with a nice happy birthday at the end. wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Awesome!!EduRuiDined on 4/15/2014They have a great chef All Meals and drinks were perfect!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceGgold7Dined on 4/15/2014Outstanding service, as expected in dining at this level. Excellent menu, could have more extended wine list. My fois gras was slighty over cooked. Do not go with children, and yes, please wear a jacket, it is not a dinerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would go backcattyjDined on 4/13/2014We were 4, including a 10-year old knowledgeable foodie and 2 tired wine-drinking adults. The quality of the wines by the glass didn’t match the food but the prices weren’t outlandish. Asparagus soup was delicious and beautiful as was my fois gras (extra cost) although its toast was too sweet. My lamb chops had good flavor but the mustard coating was too strong. The time between the first and second courses seemed long but otherwise the service was good and our waiter, John, excellent. The 3rd adult is a picky eater but John had no problems with switching his options. This was my 2nd visit within the past month; previously was a wine-dinner (foods to match Spanish wines). In sum, we had a good time and a very fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very special eveningSharonDined on 4/12/2014We selected Marcel's based on their excellent reviews and we were not disappointed. It was a special evening and the entire experience was delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the tasting menuBradWDined on 4/10/2014The tasting menu was fantastic across the board. You have 3 choices for each course. There were three of us so we tried everything . Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal we had in WashingtonMarblesDined on 4/9/2014We were in Washington for a week. We ate at a number of good restaurants, some very good, but Marcel's was certainly the best. Great service and food, and although not cheap, well worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Restaurant in DCPennyVIPDined on 4/6/2014This has been my favorite restaurant in DC for years. I don't get to go very often, but always a memorable experience when I do. Came here to celebrate my anniversary and birthday since the occasions are only two days apart. Can never say enough about the food that is prepared. Outstanding food and exquisite presentation. That along with Jonathan Crayne's service, made it a night to remember. Look forward to returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated and moderate qualityMichelleDined on 4/5/2014I'm been to many Michelin star restaurants and was disappointed at Marcels, being named 1 of the best restaurants in Washington. Their waiters are snobby, impolite and rushed. They failed to adequately time dishes so after 5 minutes of ordering our food, we were finished our amuse bouche and already into our first course! Also the waiter enters your dishes to the kitchen according to the order you order it, and does not re-prioritze your selections according to taste and flow. I was served with a salad as my fourth course and that was an amateur mistake the staff (kitchen and waiter) can make. The fish is dry and sauces lack the French touch. Most dishes were too salty. No service, we had to refill our own wine glasses a few times.Special Features: