Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
2401 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marcelsdc.com/
- Phone: 2022961166x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm;
Mon-Thurs 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Fri-Sat 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian, French
- Executive Chef: Paul Stearman, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Marcel's provides complimentary driving service to and from the Kennedy Center seven nights a week. Pre-theater menu recommended for customers who want to make curtain time.
A word from Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier - Best Restaurants in Foggy Bottom ›
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (133)romantic (109)fit for foodies (108)notable wine list (74)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (9)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Outstanding food, needs wine workGeorgeCVIPDined on 7/11/2014I've been privileged to eat at the finest restaurants in Europe and the US and this ranks among my top five favorites. Delicious, synergistic but complex flavors, just perfect portions (not too small, not too big), wide range of choices in every area of the menu. Only suggestion is they need to deepen their wine list to offer GREAT wines from FRANCE in moderate to expensive range, with focus on both Burgundy and Bordeaux. I had to settle for a Byron pinot noir by the glass for $15!! after we finished an average bottle of Burgundy.Special Features:
- Great Date NightTheDarkKnightDined on 7/11/2014Marcel's is a great way to spend a date night with your spouse or special occansion. The service was top notch and the food was as usual amazing. We did the 5 course meal with a bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Great mealbigeaterVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is the second time we have been to Marcel's. We went for my girlfriend's birthday in January and went back this time to celebrate our marriage. The food was remarkable as it was the first visit. My wife loves tastings and especially French tastings and we were not disappointed. Great food and atmosphere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/11/2014date had a 7 course tasting, i had the 5. we had the additional Foie gras, foie was worth it. overall, great dining experience, food was well done, many good fish dishes, pork belly was done well. a little pricey but great food presentation and service was professional.Special Features:
- greatfoodDined on 7/11/2014Truly one of the most enjoyable dining experiences I have experienced. Incredible selections, an amazing complement of textures and flavors. The wait staff was very helpful and attentive. You can not go wrong with Marcel's. We went before a performance at the Kennedy Center and they took fantastic care of us to make sure we were on time for the performance. We depended on our steward for our wine pairings and the selections were perfect. Not being terribly sophisticated it can be intimidating to dine at a restaurant of Marcel's caliber, but the staff made us feel not only comfortable, but very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service as good as it getsPaulDined on 7/3/2014The title says it all. We have eaten in many top restaurants around the world, and Marcels would stand up to any of them. Notably, they allow you bring your own wine for a reasonable $50 corkage fee. For someone who has a good cellar, and wants to experience it with outstanding food, this would be the place. If I lived in DC I would be a regular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For what it was...it was first-ratergswinnersDined on 7/2/2014So, would I go back? 100% And, in fact, I am looking forward to it. Probably will not go the prix-fixe route next time, but for the first time, this was a great way to go. If you are thinking about it...go. You will be rewarded with a good time and excellent service.Special Features:
- OutstandingVerypickyDined on 6/30/2014The entire experience was a treat from the moment we entered. The staff was helpful without being condescending. The atmosphere is lovely, and oh the food! It was prepared meticulously and the flavors worked fantastically together. This restaurant is equal to the La Masionette in Cincinnati when it was in its prime during the 80's.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD, GREAT SELECTIONcigarknightVIPDined on 6/30/2014My wife and I dined here for our 35th wedding anniversary while visiting DC, because I had been told that the food here was the best in the City, and I am happy to say that IT IS! The tasting menu is set up for 3-7 courses, and the selections in each course are widely varied, and in some cases, very creative...All the food was cooked and presented to perfection, and our server was professional, and quite a character...the wine list is huge, with several tough to find French wines and champagnes. My only negative observation is the decor...very plain and drab...but, the food is outstanding. Certainly, not the cheapest meal in the DC area, but well worth the price given the cost of several other "upscale" restaurants in the area....Special Features:
- The best of DCchap621Dined on 6/30/2014My second time at Marcel's was even better than the excellent first visit. The wait staff is knowledgeable, efficient, and attentive. The food was as close to perfect as it gets, and the wine flight well selected. Marcel's is far above any restaurant I've tried in the greater DC area–equal to top restaurants in France. It is expensive, but worth every nickel.Special Features:
- Excellent as always!FoodiefanaticDined on 6/29/2014The food at Marcel's is exquisite, as is the service. Such a treat for any special occasion. Don't miss their foie gras or filet mignon - both are scrumptious!Special Features:
- Perfect MealJoAnnDined on 6/28/2014Marcels is a very special restaurant. The food, ambience and service is flawless. We had the 5 course tasting menu and every dish was memorable especially the mussels gratin. That particular dish will be remembered forever.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in DC?CapitanSourceVIPDined on 6/28/2014Could be. Food is outstanding. Good selection. Can do tasting menu or a la carte. What's really great is that portions are sized to how much you order. Why doesn't every restaurant do this? Service couldn't be more attentive or friendly. No attitude here! Expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Chicken TarragonGeorgetownMaryDined on 6/24/2014Marcel's is the place for fine dining...having just arrived at the airport three hours before dining , we wanted Just a light meal....even though the menu presented offers four, five, seven courses fixed price, our waiter graciously Offered salad and entree...my favorite at this restaurant is the Chicken Tarragon, best in the city...baby arugala parmesan salad was tasty...also we were able to have brandy, dessert, coffee at the sidewalk lounge and enjoy the evening breeze...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014As always superb food, great ambiance, and a special evening made even more special by our waiter, Ernesto . Service taken to it's highest level!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceYolandeDined on 6/22/2014My guest and I were very pleased with the service and food. The atmosphere was relaxed. We didn't feel rushed although we had a show to attend afterwards. We chose the Pre-Theater menu and was pleasantly satisfied. Alejandra was very gracious and charming. She provided great details about our meal. Even the newest addition to the staff a young man from the Ivory Coast was quite professional. We were celebrating my birthday so when my dessert plate came decorated in beautiful chocolate script Happy Birthday and a candle, I was all smiles. The special touches meant a lot and made the evening perfect. The driver who drove us to and from the Kennedy Center was also very professional and precise. I would highly recommend Marcel's!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food for a special mealGeneMDined on 6/21/2014Choice of 4-7 courses on menu ($20 each); all are exquisitely prepared but not substantial in size. Wonderfully creative combinations of flavors and textures; what you would expect from high-end restaurant. Waiter excellent but support staff seemed inexperienced; table set with broken water glass. Ambiance above average, but tables close enough to each other that your conversations are not quite private. A special place for a special meal; for the price I expected all the details to be right to have earned 5 stars.Special Features:
- TimGDined on 6/21/2014Overall the service and food was very good but it's not a very good value. I have had a lot of better meals for half the price.Special Features:
- OhnoDined on 6/19/2014Continues to be an excellent restaurant with outstanding menu. Summer menu a little spare particularly dessert and cheese course.Too many wines on list are not available.Special Features:
- Loved the SteakOTJEDIDined on 6/19/2014Had a great steak and one of the best meals of my life.
- spatzdoVIPDined on 6/18/2014great food and service. Good for pre Kennedy center dinner. They provide a car to and from the Kennedy center. Highly recommend this resturantSpecial Features:
- Very special occasion meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014Celebrated our 25th Anniversary here after lots of research on where to go, and reading many other reviews, we were not steered wrong! Everything from the moment we arrived to the moment we took our last wistful bite was memorable. We'll never forget the attentive staff, the amazing & inventive food and the well chosen wine pairings! The special 25th anniversary menues were even wrapped up & given to us to keep as a memento! So special & with every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marcel's - A Bit Less Than PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/15/2014We have been dining at Marcel's, almost since it was opened, and have enjoyed each visit. This one, however, was marred by a glitch in the wine service, and by a few dishes that just did not measure up to what we have always encountered before - nothing wrong with any dish, but nothing quite made the top rankings - good, but short of great, like the whole experience - good, but less than perfect. We will be back, and attribute this visit to "just one of those things."Special Features:
- Always love Marcel'sGretchenVIPDined on 6/14/2014This is about the third birthday I've had at Marcel's and it never disappoints. The food was delicious, the portions completely reasonable and the wine pairings were exquisite. The service was friendly but highly professional and never intrusive.Special Features:
- Outstanding ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/11/2014Marcel's never disappoints. The food was exquisite, the service terrific, and the setting quite nice. They nicely recognized a special event -- we keep returning for birthdays, anniversaries and special guests because it is a special place.Special Features:
- Over RatedDisapointedDined on 6/11/2014In June my husbancd and I decided to spend our 20th Wedding Anniversary in our city (DC) and spend a long weekend restaurant hoping. We went to Marcel's on the actuale Anniversay day - choose here baised on positive reviews. We walked away Under Whelmed. Food pricy but barely average (note: we do not have a problem paying for good food - weare fansof Inn at Littel Washington and the former Michael Richard Cintranel). FYI the next niht we wenrt to Iron Gate nad enjyed the food and funl]ky setting; the next night we had the pleasure of dinning at Blue Duck (both worth the time nad money)Special Features:
- A first time visit will be repeatedKandKDined on 6/6/2014Everything about our celebratory (wife's birthday) dinner was first rate. The service was incredibly prompt, and the individual dishes were attractively plated and delicious. The multi course Menu style with interesting choices within each course appeals to us. The wine list is well chosen and the prices for individual glasses were quite acceptable for a deluxe dining experience. We live in Montgomery County and like to drive where we are to dine, but parking in the District can be a problem. One of the reasons we chose Marcel's was the availability of affordable Valet parking ( $12). That worked out very well for us as my wife has a walking problem. This was our first visit to Marcel's and we definitely will return.Special Features:
- Anniversary made Delightful!SuzzieDined on 6/6/2014From the graciousness on the phone when we were running late through the attentive and knowledgable service throughout our meal from Alejandra and her team, the service was wonderful. This was a tasting menu and we ordered a cocktail (very refreshing cucumber Tom Collins) and wine. The squash blossom stuffed with lobster and scallop was lovely with a light tempura shell. The sea bass and rockfish were outstanding. As we were leaving, a second little package of the parting sweets was given to us to take to our son. It is something like that, plus a simple writing of Happy Anniversary on the menu and our desserts, that makes even first timers feel like very special guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHENOMENALKC22180Dined on 6/5/2014We chose the 5-course prix fixed meal to be good and omit dessert. All the courses were phenomenally delicious! The wine selected for us was perfect for all the courses but especially enhanced the next to last one. Closing out the meal with the cheese selection was perfect when we didn't want to add sweet calories. The chef topped off our evening with a few selections of delectables anyway. The coffee flavored meringue was to die for!! Thanks, Marcel's, for making our evening so remarkable and memorable!Special Features:
- Made my wife feel specialmrcoffeeDined on 6/1/2014We went to Marcel's for my wife's birthday. They made us feel like we were the only ones there. They gave us a special dessert and the sous chef even gave her a hand written note on how to achieve the perfect sear. Our experience was amazing. All of the courses we tried were cooked and seasoned perfectly.Special Features:
- DC's Best RestaurantClifton12VIPDined on 6/1/2014We have been guests at Marcel's for years and always take out of town guests there for the best food, service and experience one can have in DC. Last weekend we celebrated our 45th anniversary and the entire cast made it memorable! Adnane found out about our celebration and had our names printed on top of our menus! Lovely touch! Jonathan made sure that our meal and drinks were paced perfectly so that we could have a relaxing evening. I absolutely love everything about Marcel's.....the ability to select EXACTLY what you would like to have and not feel rushed.....this is yummy heaven!Special Features:
- Overrated and overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Menu was confusing and too complicated. Waitstaff was inconsistent and not properly trained or supervised. Sommelier was not able to address questions or assist in selection of wines of interest.Communication between staff was lacking so that dessert appeared before the main course. Dining room was very loud so that conversation at a table of 4 was difficult to hear. The temperature was positively frigid, with several diners wearing jackets from their dates. On the bright side, desserts were all excellent and the private car from the valet was a welcome touch,so ladies didn't have to stand on curb at night waiting for a cab. Overall disappointing.
- a wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2014Excellent food and truly outstanding, welcoming service. Great attention to detail and attentiveness. The 4 course meal is generous and interesting - you can mix and match course listings in any order or combination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to the competitionDCDinerVIPDined on 5/30/2014It's difficult to review a place like Marcel's, because you really have to compare apples to apples. Yes, the food and service were very good, much better than at most restaurants in the area. But when you're paying prices similar to those you would pay at the area's best, you expect more than very good, and for the second time Marcel's failed to deliver. We each had the six course menu and none of the twelve dishes was memorable or provided that "wow" factor. While service was attentive, it in no way added to the experience as excellent service would. The wine list was surprisingly limited, is not what is represented on line and even misstated the available vintage of one of the wines we ordered. In the future, we'll go to CityZen instead.
- Great food and servuce once againRodZDined on 5/30/2014Had a great meal with my family. We have eaten here several times and this was one of our best meals. Jonathan was our waiter and provided great service. I would continue to recommend Marcel's to all my friends. We will be back againI would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfanVIPDined on 5/27/2014Service was excellent, and the food? Spectacular. Not only was each dish "photo worthy," but the flavors were even better than the presentation. We especially appreciated the ability to choose not only the number of courses we wanted, but which courses were the best fit our palates and appetites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater diningNancyDined on 5/25/2014The pre-theater menu is lovely, the food was beautifully plated and equally delicious and the complimentary transportation to and from the Kennedy Center worked beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!NCfoodloverDined on 5/25/2014Marcels' outstanding staff began by coming out to the curb to assist us with one of our party who has difficulty walking. They gave us a table that was easy to get to, as we had requested. The service was unobtrusive and impeccable! Every bite was a culinary delight! We were treated as honored guests, even though it was our first visit to the restaurant. Thank you for a great evening! I would recommend Marcel's to anyone who loves wonderful food and attentive service.Special Features:
- LindaDined on 5/22/2014wonderful as always. So attentive and such good food. Always sorry to have to leaveSpecial Features:
- The following 1705 reviews are from the Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier reviews archive.
- Not as sedate as in the pastZackDined on 5/17/2014Past pretheater dinners at Marcel's had always been a unqualified joy with everything happening in a smooth, sedate, seemingly effortless way. Not this time, however. This time it was a noisy, with remarkably loud noises coming from the staff and waiters near the kitchen. It was hectic, with lots of staff rushing around to tables on all sides. Maybe the lower room is better than the first room now. Despite the nice food, Marcel's was no longer the quiet, sophisticated place from years past.Special Features: