Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
2401 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marcelsdc.com/
- Phone: 2022961166x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm;
Mon-Thurs 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Fri-Sat 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian, French
- Executive Chef: Paul Stearman, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Marcel's provides complimentary driving service to and from the Kennedy Center seven nights a week. Pre-theater menu recommended for customers who want to make curtain time.
A word from Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier - Best Restaurants in Foggy Bottom ›
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (126)fit for foodies (116)romantic (106)notable wine list (77)neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (7)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Experience to remember!hungrywoman638Dined on 9/12/2014I was in dc with my family for vacation. We decided to go ahead and splurge and go here! So glad we did. Service and food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a dine of a lifetimeallmanmadeVIPDined on 9/12/2014From the front door welcome to departure, Marcel's offered a truly memorable dining experience for my partner's birthday. The luxurious bar was a opulent meeting spot for a pre-dinner drink, free of DC happy-hour rabble. Service from the dining room staff was impeccable, befitting a flawless meal. The menu offers three selections for each of a variable number of tasting courses to suit a diner's appetite and tastes. Four courses would likely work for only your 84yo grandma, though their quality and refinement might be lost on her palette. Sweetbreads and escargot terrine. Velvety soup. Bison strip loin. Personal soufflé. Delicate herbed poussin. Mousse au chocolat. Eat dessert first, as you wish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater MustDisappointedDined on 9/11/2014Valet parking + transportation to the Kennedy Center for 7 pm, Thursday night show. We sat at 5:15 and had no problems with 4-course meal (they have a $65 3-course pre-theater menu, but we opted for the normal menu). They were "tasting portions," but the best tasting food we've ever had and 4-courses were plenty. We definitely plan to go back to enjoy the meal longer. Highlights were the mushroom soup and the filet mignon. My knife slid right through and it truly was "medium" as ordered. Ended with cheese plates (one with pears, one with apples), both great. Service was very attentive and they had an extensive wine list. Pricy, but well worth it. They picked us up right after the show to come back and get our car.Special Features:
- WonderfulAcedVIPDined on 9/8/2014Lovely in every way. Jonathan was a great server, wonderful personality, kept everything moving perfectly. Every dish was amazing but the foie and porcini soup as well as the boudin blanc were the best. Great wines and a nice visit with Robert Wiedmaier after dinner made the evening!Special Features:
- MickeyDined on 8/31/2014I have been to many great restaurants in the US and abroad but this experience is probably the best when you make a comparison with what you get for what you paid; I was in Vegas last year and dinned at a French restaurant with a name of a Chef who made fame in Paris; I believe we got robbed.. I am not saying Marcel´s is not expensive but it is worth every dollar spent. try the mussels and the black bass.. deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ambiance was only so soWorkerBeeDined on 8/31/2014I was a little put off with the underwhelming greeting when our party arrived, as well as the not great table we received (I had gone to the ladies, and the party was seated in my absence, otherwise I would have objected). The waiter was also surprising, sort of brusque ...shoved the menu at me with a Here you go. However, the waiter grew on us over the course of the dinner and we enjoyed the food and his knowledge of the menu. Its a fun place for sharing and three of the four items I choose were astonishingly good! The decor is somewhat 'meh' and the ambiance was also nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2014Absolutely terrific from start to finish. My best meal this year, and one of my five favorite restaurants in the world. The way the menu is constructed is unique and the only drawback is that it is hard to resist over ordering.Special Features:
- Fanstastic Food and ServiceBostonFoodieDined on 8/27/2014Dinner was extraordinarily good. Service was helpful and attentive without being stuffy or overbearing. One of the best meals I have had in Washington, D.C.Special Features:
- An Experience to RememberhahakennyDined on 8/25/2014I've never been to a restaurant like this and at first, when you sit down with the menu, you would think you wouldn't get a full meal from the small portions but you will be surprised. The food was excellent and you will feel stuffed after the 4th course. For anyone who goes, I suggest getting 5-6 courses for a good experience. 7 courses may be a little much for a first timer. I highly recommend this place for anyone wanted to celebrate an anniversary or simply to have a romantic evening. The waiters are friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JLJLDined on 8/25/2014Superb! The food the service and the overall experience was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceDisappointinVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had an exquisite dining experience Saturday night. We have eaten at Marcel's before and it is our favorite restaurant in DC, but this was the best meal yet. Service, presentation and delicious seasonal menu- what more could you ask! And one of our party is a vegetarian and the chef prepared a special 4 course meal for her that was superb. We can't wait to go back! I am hungry just thinking about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out!LynzDined on 8/16/2014We chose 5 course meals and it was one of the best meals I've had! My favorites were the sweet corn soup, monkfish, bison and apricot dessert. I also loved my boyfriend's duck entree. The wine list was extensive. If you don't mind spending $$$$, I would definitely recommend Marcel's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceBrianDined on 8/16/2014Wife and I celebrated our 2 yr wedding anniversary at Marcels, prior to a show at 7:30. From the moment we walked in, it felt like we were the only ones dining that night...every detail was taken care of. Every server was handsomely dressed and addressed my wife and I as Monsieur and Madam. The executive chef signed our menu for us as a gift and our desserts were presented to us with Happy Anniversary in chocolate on the plates. Pricey, but worth every penny. Amazing food, wine, service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Minor DisappointmentNavyBillDined on 8/16/2014Celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary here. The welcome, service and ambiance were superb, as were the dry gin martini. The chef's complimentary mini appetizer got the meal started off right. Likewise, the complimentary sweets at the end provided a nice finishing touch. The best selections on our 4-course tasting menu were the mussels and rockfish, both of which were delicious. On a sour note, the pan-seared scallop was raw in the middle; the boudin' blanc was bland (can't understand why so many rave about it); the beef and bison were good but nothing to write home about; and the after-dinner cappuccino was only lukewarm. All in all a nice evening but I excepted more from such a highly rated restaurant on this special occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent personal serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We went to Marcells for our anniversary and we were not dissappointed. They gave us personalized and signed menus which was pretty thoughtful. The food was outrageous and sized perfectly for a six course meal. The service was everything you would expect. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for three generationsPasadenafoodieDined on 8/6/2014We followed the pre-theater menu and loved the food! Everyone found choices at 81,50 and 20. We had plenty of time to get to the show and enjoy our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinnerLive2eatDined on 8/4/2014Best dinner in my whole life. Every plate was outstanding and they have a great service. Its worth every cent you spend there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the Best!Clifton12VIPDined on 8/2/2014Every time we dine at Marcel's, it's a joy! Greeted at the curb by the ever handsome and dashing Adnane, escorted inside to a comfy seat at the gorgeous bar and served the perfectly mixed cocktail. Hugs and kisses to Jonathan, the man who sets the standards for any server we encounter, anywhere we dine, and the evening becomes magical. The busboys move smoothly in removing emptied plates, refilling water glasses, gently everyone on the staff performs their duties respectfully so as not to make you feel you must eat quickly. The food is sublime and beautifully presented. Like I said, dining at Marcel's is a joy!Special Features:
- Good, but not worth the moneyef00Dined on 8/2/2014From a restaurant of this price range, I expect close-to-perfect cooking and/or innovative cooking. The food we had was fine -- some good, some not so good. I got the impression that this is a restaurant that is trying to be better than what the kitchen is capable of producing. Service was a bit annoying, but that is the luck of the draw. I won't go out of my way to eat here again.
- Lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014Our waitress Alejandra is super. Very knowledgable of the menu and polite.... Made our evening lovely Food was great, so was the wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointing ambianceQuebecGoumetDined on 7/31/2014Advertised a fine gourmet restaurant, which implies that the atmosphere and ambiance are conducive to fine dining, we were disappointed to see that the staff seemed more interested in ensuring that a loud and boorish table of 6 was allowed to continue in its way - disturbing customers, who, I am sure, wanted a quite evening enjoying a fine meal. We were moved to a quieter section of the dining room, but the loud outbursts were still disturbing. Also, the section to which we moved was not as well decorated as the main dining room. The large group should have been sent there instead! In spite of this, the food was done and served to a high standard, if not exceptional.Special Features:
- Marcel's always satisfiesAlibaster3000Dined on 7/31/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in DC. It's a bit pricey but the experience is well worth it.Special Features:
- The best restaurant in townJeff1Dined on 7/25/2014I think that Marcel's is DC's best restaurant. The food is always interesting and tasty, and service is excellent. The room is pretty and not too noisy.Special Features:
- GreatGreatVIPDined on 7/24/2014Visited for birthday and enjoyed 7-courses. The food was outstanding and presentation of plating was amazing.Special Features:
- Fab fish!NorliVIPDined on 7/21/2014Everything we tried was good, but the rockfish was incredible. A favorite place of ours in DC.Special Features:
- Both elegant and deliciousAirmanandWifeDined on 7/20/2014We had the pre-theater menu and the food was a delight. This particular menu has three courses and is perfect for that before-the-show excitement. The salads are ambitious, and don't fail to satisfy. My Mediterannean Sea Bass was served at just the right point between flaky and juicy and my wife's strip steak was meaty perfection. But the desserts! Such culinary mastery! From a tray of little micro-desserts to the bigger desserts of chocolate and a creme brulee that one has to taste to believe. For $65 per person, this was an amazingly affordable adventure for out taste buds and was paired just right with a show at the Kennedy Center! We'll be coming back as soon as we can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a wonderful restaurantJohnDined on 7/19/2014Marcel's is a great restaurant. This is high-end dining at its best. The food is amazing, and the staff is terrific. Jonathan Crayne, the senior captain, served us and made it a very memorable experience. I highly recommend going to Marcel's, and please make sure to ask for Jonathan!Special Features:
- What an experience!TheWilsonsVIPDined on 7/19/2014Excellent food. Excellent ambiance. Excellent service. Excellent wine. Exceptional Experience! We did not feel like we were in a restaurant, but felt like someone's guests in a very romantic venue which also has a very happening bar scene. I know we will return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- discriminative in seatingZeyadVIPDined on 7/19/2014despite the food is great, despite the waiter are polite, but the person who set us, was discriminative, because we have a child he did not sit us in dinning room, same he did for a person coming form europe, because he was not wearing formal suite. This treatmnet will deserve only one star, no more. Food is delcious otherwise.
- DisappointedRockcreekparkVIPDined on 7/18/2014We go out to dinner often and have lived in DC for over 30 years. Marcel's was a disappointment. As a tasting menu, the menu had a choice of 4, 5, 6, or 7 courses all of which were very rich/heavy with variety only among the fish and meats. Eating this many courses one would expect some lighter entries. There were minimal lighter offerings with no salads, soups or vegetable courses. It was also very expensive, starting at $85 for four courses. I had heard good reviews on Marcel's and Marcel's is currently ranked #1 in DC restaurants on Trip Advisor. I do no understand the high rating considering all the great restaurants in DC especially those with tasting menus that have variety (and at a more reasonable cost).
- Special anniversary dinner!charmDined on 7/17/2014We had our 10th anniversary dinner here. This restaurant truly delivered a classy, romantic, delicious dining experience. The service was impeccable. We were served by a team of people, led by the most skilled head waiter I have ever interacted with. This man guided through our meal, helping us make our choices and keeping us smiling without making us feel smothered. My husband is more of the foodie (so he would be writing more about the food if this was his review), but the food was wonderful. I chose 4 courses, and that was plenty for me, since they are so rich and I don't eat a ton at one sitting; my husband had 5 courses. I loved the decor of the restaurant, too. I left with a smile on my face, and we will be sure to return.Special Features:
- all goodsouthsiderVIPDined on 7/16/2014Had 7 course selection. All were very good. Wines by the glass worked well. Would go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningraboschsDined on 7/16/2014Michelin-star grade; the 7 course meal is a true culinary experience, and the wine list is on par with the food. Highly recommendable!Special Features:
- Great place to go before a show!blunderfulDined on 7/13/2014The staff really knows how to cater for the theater crowd. They recommend their pre-theater menu and have a car ready to take you there. We shared the car with another couple, but definitely a lot less stressful than having to drive ourselves. The pick you back up after the show and bring you back to the restaurant (where we had our car valet parked). It was perfect for a stress-free pampered evening. You don't have to hold back on food/drink because you'll be taken care of. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newlywed dinersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014The establishment provides a 3-course pre-theater menu that is a pleasing extract of the 5-course one, and my wife and I took advantage of it prior going to the Kennedy Center. When making the reservation, I had advised that we would be arriving as newlyweds, and I greatly appreciated the unsolicited selection of hors d'oeuvres and sweets they provided to celebrate. Complimentary chauffeur service to the Kennedy Center is provided, which we utilized. Our driver was polite to offer return trip service to the restaurant after our show. As we were staying in The Four Seasons four blocks away, this too was much appreciated. In fact, the weather turned to rain after, the driver was kind enough to drop us at our hotel instead . Wonderful!Special Features:
- Special dinner almost ruined!CJKVADined on 7/12/201430ieth anniversary. Upon entering Marcel's we were greeted by a nice hostess who wished us a Happy Anniversary and showed us to our table. The food as expected was outstanding. We have been to Marcel's several times and always have come away pleased with our experience. The only downside this time was the service. There was no explanation of the menu, the waiter did not even ask if we had been before. There was no attentiveness, no discussion on how we liked the food and when another table was set beside us we were ignored all together. So much so that I had to ask another server to have our waiter come back so I could order me wife another glass of wine. Not what I expect at a fine dining establishment. The food saved the day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/11/2014We don't live in DC and choose carefully our special dining experiences. We had last visited Marcel's four years ago and were delighted to learn that our fond memories of the excellent cuisine, service and ambience were accurate and reinforced by this experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding food, needs wine workGeorgeCVIPDined on 7/11/2014I've been privileged to eat at the finest restaurants in Europe and the US and this ranks among my top five favorites. Delicious, synergistic but complex flavors, just perfect portions (not too small, not too big), wide range of choices in every area of the menu. Only suggestion is they need to deepen their wine list to offer GREAT wines from FRANCE in moderate to expensive range, with focus on both Burgundy and Bordeaux. I had to settle for a Byron pinot noir by the glass for $15!! after we finished an average bottle of Burgundy.Special Features:
- Great Date NightTheDarkKnightDined on 7/11/2014Marcel's is a great way to spend a date night with your spouse or special occansion. The service was top notch and the food was as usual amazing. We did the 5 course meal with a bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Great mealbigeaterVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is the second time we have been to Marcel's. We went for my girlfriend's birthday in January and went back this time to celebrate our marriage. The food was remarkable as it was the first visit. My wife loves tastings and especially French tastings and we were not disappointed. Great food and atmosphere.Special Features: