John Bentley's - Redwood City
2915 El Camino Real
Redwood City, CA 94061Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
John Bentley's - Redwood City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.johnbentleys.com/
- Phone: 6503657777x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: John Bentley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: John Bentley's offers private dining downstairs for up to 24 people, and a private dining room upstairs, with private bar, for up to 50 people, equipped for AV presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Vincent Osar 6503657777x52
A word from John Bentley's - Redwood City
Located on the Atherton/Redwood City border, John Bentley's offers New American cuisine, a fun wine list, and warm gracious service with a full bar and banquet facilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
John Bentley's - Redwood City - Best Restaurants in Redwood City ›
John Bentley's - Redwood City reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (122)fit for foodies (117)neighborhood gem (88)romantic (82)notable wine list (53)great for lunch (31)good for groups (31)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (9)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Enduring excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/20/2014Reliably, year after year, a fine dining restaurant with a friendly atmosphere, good service and terrific food -this time sweetbreads and duck appeared on the menu, but standards--especially the watermelon crab salad, and the napa cabbage/duck confit appetizer--are usually ordered--the hanger steak with caramelized onions, scalloped potatoes and spinach is a favorite-veal medallions- with brie & ligonberry was delicious. For dessert-the sticky toffee pudding cake, the special bread pudding were gone in 30 seconds. John Bentley, owner/ chef is always on site-in the kitchen, and greeting his guests. This is a wonderful option for a celebratory dinner, or a casual dinner-and a great choice for a lunch-- that will never disappoint.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodLondongirl17Dined on 5/17/2014Food was beautifully cooked and presented. A tempting range of dishes on the menu, makes choosing a difficult choice and necessary to return to try further dishes. There are dishes that do not have diary in them so easy to eat a tasty meal without having to ask for substitutions being made, though this has been accommodated with ease on previous occasions when dining here. The service was impeccable and swift. We celebrated a birthday and it was a memorable happy evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeReasonablePersonDined on 5/14/2014I picked this place for a quiet family dinner for my birthday based on the reviews and I am so glad I did. This is a first rate restaurant where I can use my best manners and not look out of place yet it is relaxed and not stuffy. And the food and service were perfect. Tender flavorful steaks perfectly cooked and paired with vegetables potatoes and sauce or gravy. Medium rare came out truly pink and red - perfect. The only thing wrong with the pistachio chocolate baked Alaska is that it is too small. I know this is my first of many times at this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/14/2014The food was exquisitely prepared, and beautifully plated - wonderful experience every time.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodFoodaholicVIPDined on 5/12/2014The food is outstanding. We had the scallops with a wonderful lemony sauce and perfectly cooked asparagus. The cream of artichoke soup was excellent. Great moist toffee cake for dessert. Overall a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- A Total FindFriendsDiningDined on 5/9/2014This was the first time that we ate at JB's. Given the location, we were surprised to find such a great restaurant. The menu has a nice selection, the chef made allowances for special needs, the waiter was very attentive. We were a group of 7, including 2 children. While there isn't a kids menu, the waiter made the kids feel welcome and interacted with them. My hanger steak was one of the best that I have ever had. The chef knows how to cook "rare" perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PCKaDined on 5/9/2014We have eaten here for years and frequently order the fish special. This past visit it was unusually salty. Although not ideal for those of us who must watch our salt intake, the meal was still enjoyable.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentDlandDined on 5/8/2014We really like JB's and this time did not disappoint. Braised short ribs, halibut, double thick pork chop, and a vegetarian pappardelle earned raves from all four of us. Service was attentive and they threw in an incredible upside-down cake with homemade gelato for our friend on the occasion of his birthday. We will return again and again.Special Features:
- Great Experience at BentleysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/6/2014We had a party of eight for dinner to celebrate a new home purchase. We were early, before 5, and thought we would have to wait but were very nicely asked if we'd like to have a drink at the bar. We ordered drinks and when our party arrived we were asked if we'd like to transfer our drinks to our dinner table and were seated right away. The waiter was very attentive and had great suggestions for appetizers and dinner. We were there over two hours. Everyone loved their dinner. Host, bartender and waiter were all top notch. All in all, a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- BalanceSFfoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2014A great meal is usually due to a balance of flavors and colors. The Halibut "special" on Saturday night was overwhelmed by a vinegar taste and smell that the flavor and freshness of the fish was lost. Sometimes, less is more.Special Features:
- Wonderful overall experiencetwiggyjulieDined on 5/2/2014My husband and I had a fabulous dinner experience here. We had the asparagus soup to start. I was grateful it did not have a dairy base and it was absolutely awesome! We went full on and had an appetizer, a main dish and desert with cappuccino and tea. When our main dishes arrived (I ordered the special - halibut and my husband the pork chop) and I tasted them, I wanted to stand up and applaud! After a great soup and appetizer, the main dish was the crowning glory. I had the caramelized banana split for dessert and yes, it is just as good as it sounds. The staff was very attentive and our waitress personable and very knowledgeable about the menu. I was grateful for her guidance in making my choices. We will be going back...soon!Special Features:
- DlzgnDined on 5/2/2014Outstanding food prepared to perfection! Great service. Atmosphere was a bit dark and heavy with occasional whiffs of nursing home odors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant on the PeninsulaburlingamebarbaraDined on 4/26/2014John Bentley's consistently has the best food in the area. What may not appeal to many "foodies" is what makes it a restaurant I will return to again and again: the menu has some daily specials, but the printed menu is essentially the same every time I go. The pork chop, sweetbreads, hangar steak and sole provide me with a dilemma every time - I can't decide which delicious meal I want. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is that it is very popular (we went on a Saturday), and as a result, very noisy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/26/2014excellent food and service for which we have become accustomedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014Rolls Royce of dining in the Atherton area--best of the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Quiet Enough to Talk!eatandtalkVIPDined on 4/24/2014Three of us were meeting for pleasure and to tok some business. The food was interesting and delicious. Also interesting choice of cocktails and specialty drinks. And it was quiet enough that we could actually have our business discussion without shouting at each other. The waiter was pleasant and helpful. There when we needed him, but not hovering too constantly. Really a perfect evening! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Simply The BestJayCeeDined on 4/23/2014John Bentley is a wonderful cook. My favorite at lunchtime is John's very creative and delicious version of Chinese chicken salad. Wow. Just wow. You will see those salads being served right and left! Everything on the dinner menu is delectible--beautiful and marvellous preparations of modern American cuisine. The restaurant has a "with-it" and friendly full bar. The whole place overflows with good cheer great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in silicon valley!MauryVIPDined on 4/21/2014We have always enjoyed John Bentleys's, it is truly outstanding every visit!
- Maybe the bestJohnVIPDined on 4/17/2014Probably one of the best restaurants on Peninsula.Special Features:
- - High quality, well-preparedBryanLVIPDined on 4/12/2014- High quality, well-prepared food (Had the sole and the watermelon, crab, avocado appetizer). - Very welcoming room - Service was lacking, seemed that nothing could be achieved at the table without either an interruption of forcing the diners to adjust position to give the wait staff access to the table. Could be that the table was too cramped, but professional staff should be able to overcome this and not interrupt the flow of the conversation so much. - The chairs are very uncomfortable - Did I say noisy?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place. It is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/8/2014I love this place. It is always a wonderful experience with exquisite food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceHanlanDined on 4/5/2014My wife and I returned to John Bentley's for an anniversary dinner. The food and service were wonderful. We have gone several times over the years and have never been disappointed. While not the cheapest option out there, whenever we want to have a really good meal in a wonderful setting we return to John Bentley's. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!JLHoDined on 4/4/2014It was my first time at John Bently's. The whole experience was outstanding! I recommend this restaurant highly. I will go back to JB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We dined a John Bentley'ssandibDined on 3/31/2014We dined a John Bentley's at the end of a wonderful day of birthday celebration for my companion. We began at the bar for a cocktail. The hostess knew we were there and checked in with us to see if we were ready to be seated and was very accomodating when we requested to stay a little longer enjoying the conversation with other patrons. After being seated, the server was appropriately attentive and the dinner that followed was enjoyed by both of us. At the end of the meal, my dinner companion was presented with a birthday treat with a candle. The entire reservation process was flawless and the evening was lovely. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a wonderful experience. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/29/2014Always a wonderful experience. Our server, Jan, is exceptional!Special Features:
- Great food, lovely service.eaterDined on 3/29/2014Great food, lovely service. I've only had great meals at this nice restaurantSpecial Features:
- surf n turf at John Bentley'sgr8eatsDined on 3/29/2014My wife and I went there with our neighbors. We used to go to the Woodside town location annually several years ago, but we had not been for a few years. We had surf (boat scallops and the mahi) and they had turf (steak special and hanger steak). I also had the fire roasted artichoke, outstanding flavor and texture. Everyone really enjoyed their appetizer, main course, and dessert. It's a great ambience too. We are looking forward to our next occasion to dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dean always ensures that ourSmithVIPDined on 3/27/2014Dean always ensures that our time at Bemtley's is special. Our most recent dinner was to celebrate our anniversary and everything was simply perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed everything andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014We enjoyed everything and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strange PlaceZongVIPDined on 3/20/2014Dark, empty, formal, expensive, uninspiring. Seems to attract a few rich old women from Atherton. As for the rest, we may as well go to Evvia.
- John Bentley's never disappoints.born2eatVIPDined on 3/18/2014John Bentley's never disappoints. With all the fabulous restaurants we have here in San Francisco I always look forward to lunch or dinner at John Bentley's.Special Features:
- Low key and specialBronteDined on 3/17/2014Had a very good experience on a Monday nite (one of the reasons I chose Bentley's was it was OPEN). Much to my surprise the place was packed (it is small). Very interesting menu that covers the waterfront: seafood, beef, interesting appetizers and desserts. Very helpful service offered tastings of wine by the glass and pointed toward the less expensive options first. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- ConsistentEnglishMikeDined on 3/17/2014From the bar to the table everything was consistent here, we split the pork belly appetizer and it was fantastic, the meat just fell apart and the slaw was a nice contrast. I had the Rib-eye which was cooked perfectly and my dining companion had the Tuna which was also delicious. We split a dessert. small but good by the glass wine selection and we brought a bottle of Silver Oak so who could complain about that - corkage was fairly high at $30 a bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingDGR0313Dined on 3/14/2014The staff were friendly and made perfect menu suggestions. The food flavor profiles and plating were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunch go-toOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/14/2014Always great fish and good options for all. Soups and salads are fresh and delicious. Service can be brisk if you tell them you need to get back or leisurely if you have time. And it's quiet enough to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/7/2014Fabulous food and very hospitable staff! Outstanding desserts!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDINGFabulousDined on 3/7/2014Great service and outstanding food and friendly atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time and great as always!GTansecoVIPDined on 3/1/2014We were her last November to celebrate our Anniversary, last Saturday we brought the entire family of 6 people. We were placed in the side semi private room and had a corner round table. It was a blast. The service was impeccable, and we enjoyed the food as usual. Happy to see the pork belly was still there (one of our favorites). The pork chop was amazing like the first time, yes, I know two visits and I ordered the pork chop twice, but hey, it's that good! Thanks John Bentley, our mother's 59th birthday was made special because of you and your restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceReynVIPDined on 3/1/2014Went back for the pleasure of dining at John Bentley's once again. As before, the service was great...this time I would promote this to outstanding. We enjoyed the roasted artichoke appetizer. Is is roasted to the point that its tenderness was it's lead feature. Also, it's served with a mustard dressing that is delicious and new to us...we usually have it with mayo or clarified butter. New York steak with mushroom and superb sauce. A nice thick steak, cooked perfectly, augmented with just he right accompaniments. Filet of sole, thicker than most, but nevertheless, pretty much melted in our mouths. Reservations can be tricky for short term planning. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Enjoy the bartenderluvvansVIPDined on 2/27/2014Had a nice dinner at the bar as the restaurant was way too noisy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They need to buffer the noise. Food is very good & bartender is terrific. Will return but hope the noise is fixed! Glass partitions between dining areas could help, maybe?????Special Features: