John Bentley's - Redwood City
2915 El Camino Real
Redwood City, CA 94061Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
John Bentley's - Redwood City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.johnbentleys.com/
- Phone: 6503657777x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: John Bentley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: John Bentley's offers private dining downstairs for up to 24 people, and a private dining room upstairs, with private bar, for up to 50 people, equipped for AV presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Vincent Osar 6503657777x52
A word from John Bentley's - Redwood City
Located on the Atherton/Redwood City border, John Bentley's offers New American cuisine, a fun wine list, and warm gracious service with a full bar and banquet facilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
John Bentley's - Redwood City - Best Restaurants in Redwood City ›
John Bentley's - Redwood City reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (122)fit for foodies (103)neighborhood gem (87)romantic (84)notable wine list (45)good for groups (38)great for lunch (35)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (7)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Caesar saladlxticsVIPDined on 7/5/2014The two stars for food? Our first course was Caesar Salad, which looked and tasted as though it had been assembled from one of those kit boxes found in grocery store delis, right down to the stale, tasteless croutons. Note to the kitchen: Please learn to make this dish correctly. The rest of our dinner was very well done, though the dishes were not outstanding or particularly creative. The service was excellent, and apart from the hard-bottomed chairs, this is a pretty, relaxing place.
- everything excellentallisonDined on 7/3/2014Everything was great. We were celebrating 3 birthdays and they made very nice birthday desserts for us.Special Features:
- bentley's solid as alwayskld123VIPDined on 7/1/2014went to john Bentley's for our anniversary the other night. excellent dinner as always. attentive service tho the waiter Che was hopping with several tables to serve. Food was prepared to perfection. great varied appetizers and superb entrees with intriguing specials. Lamb dish was very tasty and my wife's pork chop was tender and seasoned so well. will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much better than I expected!BarbaraFVIPDined on 6/28/2014Since this place has been around for so long (though I'd never tried it), I was prepared for ordinary and tired. It's anything but! The food, while described very simply on the menu, definitely exceeded my expectations. It was delicious and presented beautifully. Much more complex than many restaurants. The tuna tartare was wonderful and the sole was really delicious. My husband's hangar steak was not only delicious but very creatively presented. Kudos to John Bentley's for keeping things fresh!Special Features:
- Bentley's rocks!luvvansVIPDined on 6/28/2014All of us really enjoyed 4 different meals. Lamb special, veal medallions, Ahi, Hanger steak. Special appetizer & salads were also very good. Noisy, but have been there when it was noisier! Bob, bartender & waitperson (136) were wonderful. We will return!Special Features:
- Special Occasion LuncheonNWigleyDined on 6/27/2014Bentley's has once again surpassed our expectations for another special occasion luncheon! This time, as a small group of 5, we had a private round table in the back, excellent service, a warm welcome from all of the staff---our favorite watermelon/crab salad and wonderful desserts. We never felt rushed, and were allowed to linger throughout the lunch hours. I highly recommend John Bentley's Restaurant for lunch and dinner, especially if you want to celebrate a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/26/2014We celebrated our son's birthday there for dinner. The food was excellent--one of the best Ahi Tuna dinners that I've ever had. The service was exceptionally good--friendly and timely.Special Features:
- excellent foodsandyVIPDined on 6/24/2014The service and food at John Bentley's was excellent, much better than expected. The courses and imagination of combining ingredients was fantastic. Not necessary to drive to San Francisco to find a great restaurant. Recommend the pork chop highly. I am not a pork lover, but it was amazing.Special Features:
- ExcellentPamHDined on 6/24/2014We dined to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday with another couple and everything was EXCELLENT! Our friend's husband is definitely a foodie and said when we were leaving that this was the best meal he's had out in a restaurant in a long time.Special Features:
- Best Anniversary DinnerSteveEatsOutDined on 6/21/2014Once again, John did not disappoint us when we celebrated our anniversary with my wife's brother and his wife. John's is our go to place to show out of town guests you don't have to drive to San Francisco for a great meal. The Domaine Chandon Le Reve champagne for our toasts was worth the price and we were not rushed to order. The grilled watermelon Dungeness crab avocado salad was a surprising hit. The goat cheese stuffed grilled fig special was divine. I never regret ordering the sole with the best lemon caper Beurre Blanc sauce anywhere. Three wonderful different desserts complimented our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delectable lamb specialgr8eatsDined on 6/21/2014My family went to John Bentley's for my birthday. As usual, it was a great evening. I had the Moroccan lamb special, quite different and very tasty, with cumin and curry. Two others in our party had the scallops, which were also excellent, as was the fig appetizer. Plus the sticky toffee pudding to cap it off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Poor ServiceSpikermikeVIPDined on 6/21/2014One of the worst experiences I've had. Hostess offered the wine list and I asked about the corkage fee. She said $20. The bill came and we were charged $30. I brought this to the attention of the waitress and she said, "Oh she made a mistake, she's new here. It's $30." I said, okay, but she told us $20. She took the bill and said "I'll be back." The manager shows up and says, " Do you have a question on the corkage fee?" I had to explain again. He left and came back and said "Yes I talked to her and she did tell you $20 but she's new here." Thought it was resolved. Then the waitress comes back with the bill and they didn't change it. Couldn't believe it. Had to talk to the manager again. He didn't get it so I left. Paid $173.Special Features:
- Happy 1st Time CustomerLnJluv2dineDined on 6/16/2014Was looking for a nice restaurant on the Peninsula (between SF and SJ) to celebrate my mom's 84th birthday. Made a reservation at this restaurant for the first time based on the good reviews for 4 adults for dinner on a Monday at 5pm. The food was delicious, the service outstanding and the ambience was perfect! Parking was easy in their back lot. We tried 3 appetizers (crab/watermelon/avocado, shrimp/mozzarella/tomato, duck), 4 entrees (scallops, pork chop, mahi mahi, veal), 2 desserts (bread pudding, sticky toffee pudding cake) & wine - We would order all again. Tried a taste of every dish and every one was delicious and wonderfully put together (accompaniments). Looking forward to returning and trying more items on their menu!!!Special Features:
- An excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014We had a reservation & we were taken in right away instead of waiting for couple of minutes. The menu special was excellent-I had the seared lamb medium rare & it was cooked exactly to my desire. Excellent & service as well, the waitress was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion placeBonappetitDined on 6/14/2014Our entrees were tasty and the presentation was fitting for this cozy place perfect for a quiet meal. Our server was very attentive and knowledgeable. The entrees were in the mid to high $20s, which seemed a bit high for the amount of food, but overall it was a nice place.Special Features:
- Fabulous placeLuvinfoodieDined on 6/13/2014This place is definitely a gem in the rough. I love going there. Each time I go there; it reminds me why I love this place so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close sooo earlyBilly2013VIPDined on 6/2/2014Had 8:45 reserv, called & told them few mins away & delay, they said all ok & fine. Upon arrival, they refused to serve entrees, requiring & RUDELY requiring apps only. Quality good. They said Mr. Bentley not in, left before 8pm, not there to RUN his own biz :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnercircuscatsDined on 6/2/2014We had dinner at John Bentley's to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Everything was perfect! The table enabled us to sit next to each other and speak quietly. We had a difficult time choosing from the attractive array of menu items and were not disappointed by the waiter's recommendations. Our food was delicious. The service was friendly and attentive. We were surprised to learn that we were not charged for our desserts as an anniversary gift. We thanked the manager who spoke with us on the way out and told him about our wonderful experience. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belated Anniversary DinnerDisappointedDined on 5/30/2014We were seated @ a small table for 2, where everyone walks to the kitchen, there was a table of 8 people just finishing their evening. When they left, they all stood in front of our table with their rear ends facing us, rudely bumping into our table & chairs. Once our meal arrived, we were disappointed by my husbands rib-eye steak. The special was a NY steak & we are sure his steak was not a rib-eye, but a NY strip. We are foodies, we cook a lot & eat out a lot & we know the difference between the two. When we asked the waitress, she insisted it was a rib-eye & tried to convince us a rib-eye is a strip of meat, rather than a nice, tender rounder piece of meat. Didn't offer for the chef to come out or to even take it back to confirm.Special Features:
- PerfectoScottRDined on 5/24/2014The service was prompt, professional, and friendly. The food was delicious and in quantity as to feel full when you push away from the table. We have been there at least 15-20 times over the years John bentleys has been located in RWC. Always look forward to it. Always enjoy it. Always look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Love this placeShannonVIPDined on 5/22/2014The food and service are always first class. This is my favorite place to eat in the Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and DeliciousPADinerDined on 5/20/2014As always, John Bentley's hit the mark, whether it is the veal, rabbit or fish. We also had the most delicious bread pudding for dessert. This is a great place to celebrate!Special Features:
- Enduring excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/20/2014Reliably, year after year, a fine dining restaurant with a friendly atmosphere, good service and terrific food -this time sweetbreads and duck appeared on the menu, but standards--especially the watermelon crab salad, and the napa cabbage/duck confit appetizer--are usually ordered--the hanger steak with caramelized onions, scalloped potatoes and spinach is a favorite-veal medallions- with brie & ligonberry was delicious. For dessert-the sticky toffee pudding cake, the special bread pudding were gone in 30 seconds. John Bentley, owner/ chef is always on site-in the kitchen, and greeting his guests. This is a wonderful option for a celebratory dinner, or a casual dinner-and a great choice for a lunch-- that will never disappoint.Special Features:
- The following 864 reviews are from the John Bentley's - Redwood City reviews archive.
- Wonderful foodLondongirl17Dined on 5/17/2014Food was beautifully cooked and presented. A tempting range of dishes on the menu, makes choosing a difficult choice and necessary to return to try further dishes. There are dishes that do not have diary in them so easy to eat a tasty meal without having to ask for substitutions being made, though this has been accommodated with ease on previous occasions when dining here. The service was impeccable and swift. We celebrated a birthday and it was a memorable happy evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeReasonablePersonDined on 5/14/2014I picked this place for a quiet family dinner for my birthday based on the reviews and I am so glad I did. This is a first rate restaurant where I can use my best manners and not look out of place yet it is relaxed and not stuffy. And the food and service were perfect. Tender flavorful steaks perfectly cooked and paired with vegetables potatoes and sauce or gravy. Medium rare came out truly pink and red - perfect. The only thing wrong with the pistachio chocolate baked Alaska is that it is too small. I know this is my first of many times at this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/14/2014The food was exquisitely prepared, and beautifully plated - wonderful experience every time.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodFoodaholicVIPDined on 5/12/2014The food is outstanding. We had the scallops with a wonderful lemony sauce and perfectly cooked asparagus. The cream of artichoke soup was excellent. Great moist toffee cake for dessert. Overall a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- A Total FindFriendsDiningDined on 5/9/2014This was the first time that we ate at JB's. Given the location, we were surprised to find such a great restaurant. The menu has a nice selection, the chef made allowances for special needs, the waiter was very attentive. We were a group of 7, including 2 children. While there isn't a kids menu, the waiter made the kids feel welcome and interacted with them. My hanger steak was one of the best that I have ever had. The chef knows how to cook "rare" perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PCKaDined on 5/9/2014We have eaten here for years and frequently order the fish special. This past visit it was unusually salty. Although not ideal for those of us who must watch our salt intake, the meal was still enjoyable.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentDlandDined on 5/8/2014We really like JB's and this time did not disappoint. Braised short ribs, halibut, double thick pork chop, and a vegetarian pappardelle earned raves from all four of us. Service was attentive and they threw in an incredible upside-down cake with homemade gelato for our friend on the occasion of his birthday. We will return again and again.Special Features:
- Great Experience at BentleysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/6/2014We had a party of eight for dinner to celebrate a new home purchase. We were early, before 5, and thought we would have to wait but were very nicely asked if we'd like to have a drink at the bar. We ordered drinks and when our party arrived we were asked if we'd like to transfer our drinks to our dinner table and were seated right away. The waiter was very attentive and had great suggestions for appetizers and dinner. We were there over two hours. Everyone loved their dinner. Host, bartender and waiter were all top notch. All in all, a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- BalanceSFfoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2014A great meal is usually due to a balance of flavors and colors. The Halibut "special" on Saturday night was overwhelmed by a vinegar taste and smell that the flavor and freshness of the fish was lost. Sometimes, less is more.Special Features:
- Wonderful overall experiencetwiggyjulieDined on 5/2/2014My husband and I had a fabulous dinner experience here. We had the asparagus soup to start. I was grateful it did not have a dairy base and it was absolutely awesome! We went full on and had an appetizer, a main dish and desert with cappuccino and tea. When our main dishes arrived (I ordered the special - halibut and my husband the pork chop) and I tasted them, I wanted to stand up and applaud! After a great soup and appetizer, the main dish was the crowning glory. I had the caramelized banana split for dessert and yes, it is just as good as it sounds. The staff was very attentive and our waitress personable and very knowledgeable about the menu. I was grateful for her guidance in making my choices. We will be going back...soon!Special Features:
- DlzgnDined on 5/2/2014Outstanding food prepared to perfection! Great service. Atmosphere was a bit dark and heavy with occasional whiffs of nursing home odors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant on the PeninsulaburlingamebarbaraDined on 4/26/2014John Bentley's consistently has the best food in the area. What may not appeal to many "foodies" is what makes it a restaurant I will return to again and again: the menu has some daily specials, but the printed menu is essentially the same every time I go. The pork chop, sweetbreads, hangar steak and sole provide me with a dilemma every time - I can't decide which delicious meal I want. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is that it is very popular (we went on a Saturday), and as a result, very noisy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/26/2014excellent food and service for which we have become accustomedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014Rolls Royce of dining in the Atherton area--best of the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Quiet Enough to Talk!eatandtalkVIPDined on 4/24/2014Three of us were meeting for pleasure and to tok some business. The food was interesting and delicious. Also interesting choice of cocktails and specialty drinks. And it was quiet enough that we could actually have our business discussion without shouting at each other. The waiter was pleasant and helpful. There when we needed him, but not hovering too constantly. Really a perfect evening! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Simply The BestJayCeeDined on 4/23/2014John Bentley is a wonderful cook. My favorite at lunchtime is John's very creative and delicious version of Chinese chicken salad. Wow. Just wow. You will see those salads being served right and left! Everything on the dinner menu is delectible--beautiful and marvellous preparations of modern American cuisine. The restaurant has a "with-it" and friendly full bar. The whole place overflows with good cheer great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in silicon valley!MauryVIPDined on 4/21/2014We have always enjoyed John Bentleys's, it is truly outstanding every visit!