John Bentley's - Redwood City
2915 El Camino Real
Redwood City, CA 94061Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
John Bentley's - Redwood City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.johnbentleys.com/
- Phone: 6503657777x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: John Bentley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: John Bentley's offers private dining downstairs for up to 24 people, and a private dining room upstairs, with private bar, for up to 50 people, equipped for AV presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Vincent Osar 6503657777x52
A word from John Bentley's - Redwood City
Located on the Atherton/Redwood City border, John Bentley's offers New American cuisine, a fun wine list, and warm gracious service with a full bar and banquet facilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
John Bentley's - Redwood City - Best Restaurants in Redwood City ›
John Bentley's - Redwood City reviews from OpenTable diners
168 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (121)fit for foodies (115)neighborhood gem (90)romantic (81)notable wine list (53)good for groups (33)great for lunch (31)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (9)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- delectable wine and food menuBayAreaFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Delightful dining experience - swanky manhattan-type restaurant vibe. Everything we ordered was delicious - from the cream of artichoke soup, fresh halibut with heirloom tomatoes and mouthwatering desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningLola88Dined on 8/2/2014The service at John Bentley's is perfect. The hostess, Alexis, was charming, helpful and professional. Our server, Jan, was attentive and knowledgeable. The food was delicious and the night was very special for my husband and me.Special Features:
- Reliable MealscerfsupDined on 7/30/2014I don't get out to the west coast very often but I always look forward to a meal at John Bentley's. Never had a disappointing meal and the service is always discreet and timely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!CellarSnobVIPDined on 7/29/2014I absolutely loved everything about this restaurant. I had the Trumpet Mushroom "paparadelle" for lunch followed up by the warm caramel bread pudding for desert. Yum is all I can say - can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- a great choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/26/2014had never been here but chose to come here to celebrate a milestone birthday for my mother. turns out, it was a spectacular dining experience! the food, the wine, the service and atmosphere all came together in sync. would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerlaff1Dined on 7/25/2014Great food. I get the same thing every time I come, as I have never had a pork chop like theirs. I can't get myself to deviate! Had the watermelon/crab salad to start and it was excellent. Great service too. We like that you it isn't too noisy either. You can actually hear the people across the table.Special Features:
- jbird15Dined on 7/23/2014Service was very good, waitress knowlegable and gave great menu advice. Pork belly and watermelon appetizers very good. Scallops excellent, veal perfectly cooked, grilled rib eye with cabernet sauce, what else can you say? You won't be disappointed. Almost forgot, simple dessert menu but fantastic. Bar service and drinks were excellent.Special Features:
- Nice Find not too far from SFOmatineeVIPDined on 7/19/2014Needed a place for dinner not too far from the airport. Was a little disappointed to have to wait 20 minutes for a table for two with an 8:15 reservation. The restaurant was busy, but not too loud which made for nice dinner conversation. Ordered a cup of soup to start before the appetizers and was very pleased when the sommelier brought a complimentary cup for my wife as well. A nice touch. Had a duck appetizer and quail appetizer and both were well prepared. The tuna entrée was quite nice. The double cut pork chop had a panko crusting that reminded me of an upscale shake n bake. It was good, but I would probably just prefer a nice pan sear then oven baked or grilled. Overall a nice dinner in a nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Incredible QualityCamillDined on 7/19/2014What a great find! It's a bit of a quieter scene which is perfect for those dinners where you want to talk and hear conversation. Add to that, the excellent quality of food and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eveningCoffeeGuyDined on 7/18/2014Everything about the dinner was exceptional, the wait staff, the food and the environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good diningMissyPDined on 7/18/2014We dine at John Bentley's on special occasions. The noise from the bar area made dinner conversation difficult without raising our voices. Have never been disappointed with the food selection, service or ambience, but do wish there was some way to tone down the noise from the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous special ocassion place!zarefansDined on 7/12/2014What a great find! Came from out of town to celebrate my sons promotion at work so I found this restaurant on line. It was perfect! Great dinner from our starters to dessert! The service was superb! Thanks for making this special nite a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SupurbReynVIPDined on 7/12/2014Great service, great food, great ambiance. We enjoyed artichoke soup/watermelon and crab salad/NY strip/pork chop/sticky toffee cake with ice cream. Wonderful.Special Features:
- OutstandingnoneDined on 7/10/2014A word to the wise......this is the place to be for any occasion. Food has flavor beyond comparison and ambience is superb.Special Features:
- Bentley's LunchKTinSJVIPDined on 7/9/2014My husband tried the sweetbreads for the first time as was pleasantly surprised. A low-lit restaurant with beautiful finishes gave us the feeling that we were in an upscale restaurant nestled in Redwood City. Service was excellent!Special Features:
- MontanagalVIPDined on 7/9/2014The salads were terrible, bland, wilted, and expensive. It is a dark restaurant and not worth it for lunch.
- Caesar saladlxticsVIPDined on 7/5/2014The two stars for food? Our first course was Caesar Salad, which looked and tasted as though it had been assembled from one of those kit boxes found in grocery store delis, right down to the stale, tasteless croutons. Note to the kitchen: Please learn to make this dish correctly. The rest of our dinner was very well done, though the dishes were not outstanding or particularly creative. The service was excellent, and apart from the hard-bottomed chairs, this is a pretty, relaxing place.
- everything excellentallisonDined on 7/3/2014Everything was great. We were celebrating 3 birthdays and they made very nice birthday desserts for us.Special Features:
- bentley's solid as alwayskld123VIPDined on 7/1/2014went to john Bentley's for our anniversary the other night. excellent dinner as always. attentive service tho the waiter Che was hopping with several tables to serve. Food was prepared to perfection. great varied appetizers and superb entrees with intriguing specials. Lamb dish was very tasty and my wife's pork chop was tender and seasoned so well. will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much better than I expected!BarbaraFVIPDined on 6/28/2014Since this place has been around for so long (though I'd never tried it), I was prepared for ordinary and tired. It's anything but! The food, while described very simply on the menu, definitely exceeded my expectations. It was delicious and presented beautifully. Much more complex than many restaurants. The tuna tartare was wonderful and the sole was really delicious. My husband's hangar steak was not only delicious but very creatively presented. Kudos to John Bentley's for keeping things fresh!Special Features:
- Bentley's rocks!luvvansVIPDined on 6/28/2014All of us really enjoyed 4 different meals. Lamb special, veal medallions, Ahi, Hanger steak. Special appetizer & salads were also very good. Noisy, but have been there when it was noisier! Bob, bartender & waitperson (136) were wonderful. We will return!Special Features:
- The following 882 reviews are from the John Bentley's - Redwood City reviews archive.
- Special Occasion LuncheonNWigleyDined on 6/27/2014Bentley's has once again surpassed our expectations for another special occasion luncheon! This time, as a small group of 5, we had a private round table in the back, excellent service, a warm welcome from all of the staff---our favorite watermelon/crab salad and wonderful desserts. We never felt rushed, and were allowed to linger throughout the lunch hours. I highly recommend John Bentley's Restaurant for lunch and dinner, especially if you want to celebrate a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/26/2014We celebrated our son's birthday there for dinner. The food was excellent--one of the best Ahi Tuna dinners that I've ever had. The service was exceptionally good--friendly and timely.Special Features:
- excellent foodsandyVIPDined on 6/24/2014The service and food at John Bentley's was excellent, much better than expected. The courses and imagination of combining ingredients was fantastic. Not necessary to drive to San Francisco to find a great restaurant. Recommend the pork chop highly. I am not a pork lover, but it was amazing.Special Features:
- ExcellentPamHDined on 6/24/2014We dined to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday with another couple and everything was EXCELLENT! Our friend's husband is definitely a foodie and said when we were leaving that this was the best meal he's had out in a restaurant in a long time.Special Features:
- Best Anniversary DinnerSteveEatsOutDined on 6/21/2014Once again, John did not disappoint us when we celebrated our anniversary with my wife's brother and his wife. John's is our go to place to show out of town guests you don't have to drive to San Francisco for a great meal. The Domaine Chandon Le Reve champagne for our toasts was worth the price and we were not rushed to order. The grilled watermelon Dungeness crab avocado salad was a surprising hit. The goat cheese stuffed grilled fig special was divine. I never regret ordering the sole with the best lemon caper Beurre Blanc sauce anywhere. Three wonderful different desserts complimented our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delectable lamb specialgr8eatsDined on 6/21/2014My family went to John Bentley's for my birthday. As usual, it was a great evening. I had the Moroccan lamb special, quite different and very tasty, with cumin and curry. Two others in our party had the scallops, which were also excellent, as was the fig appetizer. Plus the sticky toffee pudding to cap it off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Poor ServiceSpikermikeVIPDined on 6/21/2014One of the worst experiences I've had. Hostess offered the wine list and I asked about the corkage fee. She said $20. The bill came and we were charged $30. I brought this to the attention of the waitress and she said, "Oh she made a mistake, she's new here. It's $30." I said, okay, but she told us $20. She took the bill and said "I'll be back." The manager shows up and says, " Do you have a question on the corkage fee?" I had to explain again. He left and came back and said "Yes I talked to her and she did tell you $20 but she's new here." Thought it was resolved. Then the waitress comes back with the bill and they didn't change it. Couldn't believe it. Had to talk to the manager again. He didn't get it so I left. Paid $173.Special Features:
- Happy 1st Time CustomerLnJluv2dineDined on 6/16/2014Was looking for a nice restaurant on the Peninsula (between SF and SJ) to celebrate my mom's 84th birthday. Made a reservation at this restaurant for the first time based on the good reviews for 4 adults for dinner on a Monday at 5pm. The food was delicious, the service outstanding and the ambience was perfect! Parking was easy in their back lot. We tried 3 appetizers (crab/watermelon/avocado, shrimp/mozzarella/tomato, duck), 4 entrees (scallops, pork chop, mahi mahi, veal), 2 desserts (bread pudding, sticky toffee pudding cake) & wine - We would order all again. Tried a taste of every dish and every one was delicious and wonderfully put together (accompaniments). Looking forward to returning and trying more items on their menu!!!Special Features:
- An excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014We had a reservation & we were taken in right away instead of waiting for couple of minutes. The menu special was excellent-I had the seared lamb medium rare & it was cooked exactly to my desire. Excellent & service as well, the waitress was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion placeBonappetitDined on 6/14/2014Our entrees were tasty and the presentation was fitting for this cozy place perfect for a quiet meal. Our server was very attentive and knowledgeable. The entrees were in the mid to high $20s, which seemed a bit high for the amount of food, but overall it was a nice place.Special Features:
- Fabulous placeLuvinfoodieDined on 6/13/2014This place is definitely a gem in the rough. I love going there. Each time I go there; it reminds me why I love this place so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close sooo earlyBilly2013VIPDined on 6/2/2014Had 8:45 reserv, called & told them few mins away & delay, they said all ok & fine. Upon arrival, they refused to serve entrees, requiring & RUDELY requiring apps only. Quality good. They said Mr. Bentley not in, left before 8pm, not there to RUN his own biz :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnercircuscatsDined on 6/2/2014We had dinner at John Bentley's to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Everything was perfect! The table enabled us to sit next to each other and speak quietly. We had a difficult time choosing from the attractive array of menu items and were not disappointed by the waiter's recommendations. Our food was delicious. The service was friendly and attentive. We were surprised to learn that we were not charged for our desserts as an anniversary gift. We thanked the manager who spoke with us on the way out and told him about our wonderful experience. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belated Anniversary DinnerDisappointedDined on 5/30/2014We were seated @ a small table for 2, where everyone walks to the kitchen, there was a table of 8 people just finishing their evening. When they left, they all stood in front of our table with their rear ends facing us, rudely bumping into our table & chairs. Once our meal arrived, we were disappointed by my husbands rib-eye steak. The special was a NY steak & we are sure his steak was not a rib-eye, but a NY strip. We are foodies, we cook a lot & eat out a lot & we know the difference between the two. When we asked the waitress, she insisted it was a rib-eye & tried to convince us a rib-eye is a strip of meat, rather than a nice, tender rounder piece of meat. Didn't offer for the chef to come out or to even take it back to confirm.Special Features:
- PerfectoScottRDined on 5/24/2014The service was prompt, professional, and friendly. The food was delicious and in quantity as to feel full when you push away from the table. We have been there at least 15-20 times over the years John bentleys has been located in RWC. Always look forward to it. Always enjoy it. Always look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Love this placeShannonVIPDined on 5/22/2014The food and service are always first class. This is my favorite place to eat in the Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and DeliciousPADinerDined on 5/20/2014As always, John Bentley's hit the mark, whether it is the veal, rabbit or fish. We also had the most delicious bread pudding for dessert. This is a great place to celebrate!Special Features:
- Enduring excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/20/2014Reliably, year after year, a fine dining restaurant with a friendly atmosphere, good service and terrific food -this time sweetbreads and duck appeared on the menu, but standards--especially the watermelon crab salad, and the napa cabbage/duck confit appetizer--are usually ordered--the hanger steak with caramelized onions, scalloped potatoes and spinach is a favorite-veal medallions- with brie & ligonberry was delicious. For dessert-the sticky toffee pudding cake, the special bread pudding were gone in 30 seconds. John Bentley, owner/ chef is always on site-in the kitchen, and greeting his guests. This is a wonderful option for a celebratory dinner, or a casual dinner-and a great choice for a lunch-- that will never disappoint.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodLondongirl17Dined on 5/17/2014Food was beautifully cooked and presented. A tempting range of dishes on the menu, makes choosing a difficult choice and necessary to return to try further dishes. There are dishes that do not have diary in them so easy to eat a tasty meal without having to ask for substitutions being made, though this has been accommodated with ease on previous occasions when dining here. The service was impeccable and swift. We celebrated a birthday and it was a memorable happy evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.