Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charliepalmer.com/
- Phone: 2025478100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm.
Closed Sunday & Monday in July & August
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jeffery Russell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Charlie Palmer Steak moves the political power meetings out of the back room and into private dining spaces, sleek enclaves of dark wood where gathering around the table gets things done in the best possible way. A rooftop terrace, which can accommodate 400 guests, possesses the city's most impressive view of the Capitol.
- Special Events: We offer free corkage on domestic wines everyday, Friday imported wines are also free of corkage.
Join us for cocktails on our newly opened patio!
A word from Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
Located in the United Brotherhood of Carpenters headquarters off the wide, open expanse of the National Mall, Charlie Palmer Steak is dedicated to another fine master craft: big, bold American food. Under the direction of Executive Chef Jeffery Russell, the menu stars the best American artisan beef cuts like an aged Angus Rib-eye "Cowboy" steak as well as updated seafood classics such as the Iced Shellfish Platter of lobster, shrimp, king crab, and oysters. Underscoring the patriotic menu, Palmer's innovative wine cube—which appears to be floating on water—features 3,500 bottles of exclusively American wine and over 600 selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)notable wine list (53)fit for foodies (47)romantic (37)scenic view (30)good for groups (29)great for lunch (25)neighborhood gem (17)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (11)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (1)Show More
- Excellent wine list albeitOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/22/2008Excellent wine list albeit the markups were a bit more than competitors. The steaks were of excellent quality although not prime. I would expect prime for those prices. Side dishes and appetizers were all excellent.Special Features:
- We had an excellent meal onOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/21/2008We had an excellent meal on Friday night. The steak was perfect, and the appetizers delicious. Especially like corkage waver on domestic wine. Will be back for sure, probably next month!Special Features:
- We went to Charlie PalmersOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/21/2008We went to Charlie Palmers in Washington DC on 3/21/08 for a special occasion (birthday) The restaurant did not take the special notice I expected. They were notified before we made the reservations. When we arrived we were sat a subpar table away from the main dining area when the place was not busy. Our salads were wrong and had to be sent back. The dumplings in the crab soup were under cooked. The New York strip steak I ordered was not prepared in the traditional way it should be. For a place that prides itself on service as well as food I was not impressed.
- Have enjoyed this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/21/2008Have enjoyed this restaurant several times. Blue Coat gin was smashingly good. Sommelier's wine suggestion was top drawer. Amuse Bouche wonderful. Starters excellent. Entre sizes more than sufficient. Sides a bit small for four. Desserts great.Special Features:
- I have dined at this restaurantfoodie4lunchDined on 3/21/2008I have dined at this restaurant regularly since it opened. I usually dine with a 4-5 ladies, and we have always had excellent service and delicious food whether ordering from the prixe fixe menu or the regular menu. There is something for everyone.Special Features:
- A terrific, sophisticatedmikeVIPDined on 3/18/2008A terrific, sophisticated dining experience. While the emphasis is on "steak" there is a broader attraction, with seafood and other options available. Service was attentive, wine list was extensive-- one of my favorites.Special Features:
- I have eaten at Charlie PalmerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/17/2008I have eaten at Charlie Palmer for lunch on several occasions and the food has been GREAT this time I had the burger and it was over done I did ask for medium and expected some juice and pinkness it was dry and not very flavorful.Special Features:
- The steak, french fries andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/17/2008The steak, french fries and asparagus all arrived at room temperature instead of hot. This is a common occurance at Charlie Palmer and has happened to me numerous times. Where I am confident the food is fresh and it is tasty (sometimes a bit too much salt) I do think it is an area where the kitchen can improve.Special Features:
- Food preperation was exceptional.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/15/2008Food preperation was exceptional. Ordered a medium rare steak and it was exactly what a medium rare steak should be. Quality of meat was good but not great. Apps and desert were awesome! Would come back and would recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- We walked in at 5:15PM - literally,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/15/2008We walked in at 5:15PM - literally, the only customers in the restaurant which prides itself not only on great food, but on its exceptional view of the US Capitol, probably the best in Washington DC. Needless to say, we were automatically given the table with the worst view, one of the few that is adjacent to a large concrete pillar allowing the customers to see nothing. After we protested, were given another pathetic table - finally I had to take charge and tell the hostess and wait staff where were going to sit. The steaks were great, but when you're treated like a second class citizen as soon as you walk through the front door, it puts a damper on the entire evening.Special Features:
- Maybe I dont get the fineWinenerdDined on 3/6/2008Maybe I dont get the fine points of a great steak house. No matter how good steak is a never feel its worth the super high prices at a place like Palmers. a 18oz strip for 42 bucks? Apps where great, tuna tartar was very fresh, service was very good, attention to detail was there as well a a very good wine list that was only lacking for good picks below 100 a bottle a common issue with many restaurants that think of themselfs and fine dinning. Beef was avg for a place liks this. Tell tale sighs of dry aging, good flavor if maybe alittle chewy. All in all a good experence if your really into steak. For me top prices should be saves for food thats more creative.Special Features:
- What a hugely over-rated place.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/6/2008What a hugely over-rated place. I've gotten better meat from the Giant supermarket than the cut of steak I had here. The block of aluminum to hold a menu card is just a silly affectation. The service was slow, inattentive and, well, insouciant. Do yourself a favor, eat somewhere else. What's a steakhouse without high quality steak and with crappy service? An overpriced place for loud obnoxious lobbyists and their guests to preen themselves, that's all. Leave it to them and go somewhere else if you're a foodie.
- Expensive steak house makesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/26/2008Expensive steak house makes great steak and DUCK! who knew?! I would visit more often if not for the expense.Special Features:
- Check out my review here: http:/OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/23/2008Check out my review here: http://whatmickyeats.blogspot.com/2008/02/charlie-palmer-steak.htmlSpecial Features:
- I love the service right fromtsevenDined on 2/16/2008I love the service right from the moment you walk in, taking our coats and recieving us like VIP's. Food was very good and well seasoned. Very romantic and will impress for a first date.Special Features:
- Food is mediocre and expensive.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/14/2008Food is mediocre and expensive. Very bad value. One of those Washington restaurants that are popular with the uber expense account folks. Not for the common man.
- Don't go on Sunday nights,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/6/2008Don't go on Sunday nights, they have some kind of dance floor right next door and it's loud. Food is mediocre at best, if you want steak just go to Flemings or the Palm.Special Features:
- If you can, sit at the bar.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/15/2007If you can, sit at the bar. Much much much better serviceSpecial Features:
- If I can, I always preferOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/9/2007If I can, I always prefer to suit at the bar. Same menu, better service.Special Features:
- Maybe it was a particularlybnadinerVIPDined on 10/8/2007Maybe it was a particularly good night, maybe it was the sauce, but the NY strip was the best steak in DC that night. Better than BLT & Capital Grill.Special Features:
- Fantastic- plain and simple.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/3/2007Fantastic- plain and simple. Get the seared fois gras.Special Features:
- Awsome view,food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2007Awsome view,food and service make this one not to miss! Plus you never what congressman or senator you might be eating next to wow! How cool is that.Special Features:
- The two times I have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/1/2007The two times I have been here have both been special occasions - and unless you can afford it, should be reserved for that. The food is amazing, the service is wonderful, and dinner is always a memorable one.Special Features:
- Great martini!! One minuteOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2007Great martini!! One minute on the ice, stirred, not shaken. The steak was divine. The waiter assisted us with the wine selection and it was just as we requested. Not expensive, bold red, and good with steak. He suggested one and we loved it and still do.Special Features:
- Outstanding wine list andRfortunoDined on 7/27/2007Outstanding wine list and wine rack. Beautifully decorated. Great for prime meat. Nice table settings.Special Features:
- I felt very insulted. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/14/2007I felt very insulted. We went for our 10th wedding anniversary. When we didn't order the more expensive bottle of wine recommended by the sommilier, we were ignored. When it was time for dessert, we were surprised by a dessert that said Happy Anniversary. We were more surprise when they charged us $7 on the check. They did take us up to the roof for a fabulous view, but were too cheap to offer us a glass of house champagne. After dropping in the mid $200's, you'd think they could add a little class to the visit. I'd never go back.
- The food is not cheap, butRandyDined on 4/21/2007The food is not cheap, but the steaks are outstanding. You may not want some of the $22+ per oz steaks, but they have wonderful other steaks. You will find the restrooms interesting.....you can communicate between the men's and women's restroom. What a way to meet a new friend.Special Features:
- This is by far my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/27/2006This is by far my favorite restaurant of all time. I've been several times since its opened a few years ago in the Washington DC area. The steaks are cooked to perfection, seasoned well and tender. Altho, the sides are a la carte they are well portioned to be shared with the entire table, my favorite the hen of woods mushrooms; so delicately sauteed. The wine list is impeccable with every wine you can imagine. The service is eye for detailed and superb. The ambience is exquisite... Absolutely wonderful!Special Features:
- The food at Charlie PalmerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/14/2006The food at Charlie Palmer Steak was fantastic! You must try the sauteed mushrooms, and the steak mustards really enhanced the flavor of the steaks. The service and ambiance were perfect for a nice evening out with someone special or a small group.Special Features:
- Definately upscale steakhouseSwingDoctorDined on 2/14/2006Definately upscale steakhouse atmosphere here. Just steps away from Capitol Hill with spectacular DC views. The food and service were as expected in this setting. Charlie Palmer will not dissapoint any food and wine enthusiasts!!Special Features:
- I went to Charlie Palmer'sAreaNativeVIPDined on 6/24/2005I went to Charlie Palmer's for a farewell lunch for a colleague who was a bit pressed for time. Simply put, the service was absolutely terrible. It could not have been worse. It was incredibly slow, and there was a mistake with literally every thing we ordered. I said something to the manager mid-way through our meal. To his credit, he gave us free desserts (to go, because by this time the slow service had made us late for our next meeting.) But even AFTER that it took us another 20 minutes to flag someone down to get the check! I come here all the time and I have never had service this bad. Actually, I am hard pressed to remember having service this bad at any nice restaurant - EVER! Very disappointing!
- First Class all the way.KevinwmsDined on 10/30/2004First Class all the way. The service was excellent. loved the decor. We both had steak, some of the best I ever had. Well worth a visit. Will go again.Special Features: