Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charliepalmer.com/
- Phone: 2025478100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm.
Closed Sunday & Monday in July & August
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jeffery Russell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Charlie Palmer Steak moves the political power meetings out of the back room and into private dining spaces, sleek enclaves of dark wood where gathering around the table gets things done in the best possible way. A rooftop terrace, which can accommodate 400 guests, possesses the city's most impressive view of the Capitol.
- Special Events: We offer free corkage on domestic wines everyday, Friday imported wines are also free of corkage.
Join us for cocktails on our newly opened patio!
A word from Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
Located in the United Brotherhood of Carpenters headquarters off the wide, open expanse of the National Mall, Charlie Palmer Steak is dedicated to another fine master craft: big, bold American food. Under the direction of Executive Chef Jeffery Russell, the menu stars the best American artisan beef cuts like an aged Angus Rib-eye "Cowboy" steak as well as updated seafood classics such as the Iced Shellfish Platter of lobster, shrimp, king crab, and oysters. Underscoring the patriotic menu, Palmer's innovative wine cube—which appears to be floating on water—features 3,500 bottles of exclusively American wine and over 600 selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)notable wine list (50)fit for foodies (41)scenic view (37)romantic (37)good for groups (27)great for lunch (27)neighborhood gem (13)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (10)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (6)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Why is it so popular . . .kap1Dined on 3/24/2014Location^3. A quiet and upscale restaurant to take a guest for a celebration. The food is what one would expect: very good flavors, very small portions, very expensive. The service was less attentive than I have experienced at other (similar) restaurants. It is the place to go if one needs to impress a pretentious guest.Special Features:
- Amazing Birthday CelebrationmissylrpVIPDined on 3/22/2014We were seated at a window table with the Capitol lit up just beyond our reach or so it seemed. The service is polished, professional and unobtrusive as expected, but we felt they could be a tad less stiff and a little friendlier. The pomegranite martini was simply the best! Fresh, wonderful flavor. We ordered the burrata w/ beets to begin and we were in heaven! So creamy and we could've stopped there and been happy. We both ordered filets cooked med. My husband's was a little on the rare side but mine was perfect and just wonderful! The dessert was a little surprise...they mistakenly wrote "Happy Anniversary." Didn't matter...it was still very good but should've saved room for something chocolate. Loved my Anniversary/Birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for business dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/20/2014Good food and wine, spectacular view of the Capitol building and all-in-all quite affordable as business dinners go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/19/2014Great place so close to everything- Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/17/2014Worst Service I have had in years. We got water as soon as we sat down and I asked for a wine list. It was 20 minutes before we got a list or anything else. I ordered a NY strip and got a rib eye instead. By that point I was so anxious to leave I didnt bring it up. I ordered a 175 dollar bottle of wine and that service was not suprisingly pretty good. I spoke with 4 different servers but they all seemed confused as to who was supposed to be doing what. My sense is that the problem starts at the top adn that the servers are not trained or supervised as they should be. Servce at Longhorn or Outback is far Superior. I sent in a comment on their website and heard nothing back. I guess I should not have botheredSpecial Features:
- Impeccable service; special eveningDustinVIPDined on 3/13/2014I came to Charlie Pamler to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. It was our first one so I wanted to make it special. I put in my reservation notes that it was an important night. We got an amazing table by the glass wall which looked over to the Captial. They also brought out a beautiful dessert free of charge to the table for his birthday. A wonderful evening we both enjoyed immensely.Special Features:
- Solid ChoiceAnCGDined on 3/13/2014Excellent food in a large, convivial dining room. Given the number of people that were there the night we dined with friends from the city, it's obviously popular with the locals. I'm sure they have their off nights like every other restaurant, but overall it's a very happening place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and setting wonderful,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2014Food and setting wonderful, as always. However, very notable change in service. Now bread comes in a basket, need to wave to get servers attention, etc. It is clear they are cutting costs. Gone are the days where they would bring you black napkins if you were wearing black pants (to avoid the horrible lint problem) or they would bring drink refills for the kids without asking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!SienaItalyVIPDined on 3/5/2014The views from this perfectly situated restaurant match the wonderful service (including one of the friendliest sommeliers in DC) and excellent food. This was one of my best dining experiences in DC!Special Features:
- A lunch reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/5/2014I chose Charlie Palmer for a business lunch based on the location to my clients office and reputation. It didn't cut it on this visit. 12:30 reservation and it took 10 minutes in line to get to the host and be seated. Service felt rushed for us to order and once we did, the food flew out at a blistering speed. Once the food was dropped, we didn't see anyone until the plates were cleared and we were offered desert. We both had hanger steak and my medium rare was overcooked. The vegetables that were plated with it were bland and mushy. We ordered a side of their brussels with pancetta and again, bland and mushy and void of pancetta. Bread pudding for desert was cold. Had to leave my CC on the table to finally get a check.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food and viewWineauxDined on 2/28/2014This "ultimate DC real estate" restaurant caters to the Hill/lobbying community, and most of the menu is priced to the latter. But if you're looking for a class meal, great service, and maybe even somewhere near the Hill with an amazing Capitol View to dazzle guests, there's no place better - and much moreso if you have a small-moderate sized group. They've got two price fixed menus - one with three courses for $25 available to all, and a four course offering with many selections at $35 for a bit larger groups and the potential for a private room (by arrangement), so great food and service are still within reach for most. The extensive US wine collection is worthy as well. Highly recommend for great service and price on small groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- off night for serviceBeJayDined on 2/26/2014The coordination was way off. Steaks came be previous visits have beenfore starters. We had to request steak knives and the wine we ordered. Things got fixed but, this isn't how previous visits have been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youSarahVIPDined on 2/25/2014We enjoyed our business evening at Charlie Palmers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced!lovefoodVIPDined on 2/22/2014For a place as expensive as Charlie Palmer's, I would have expected much better service and food quality. From the time we walked into the restaurant (or before - no valet service?), the hostess was not personable, the wait staff were somewhat awkward, not in sync with each other, and also not personable (our waiter did not even introduce himself, he just walked up to our table and started telling us about the appetizer special), and the food was not the same quality as the price paid. It is not a bad place, just not worth the high price tag for what you get in return. Some positives - great wine list, good appetizers, and wonderful desserts. Top negative - not the best steak in DC.Special Features:
- Service below expectations & priceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2014With a four $ rating, I expect impeccable service. I felt like I was interrupting our waiter to get him to take our order who was busy talking to the bus boys. And again, after dinner was long over, we didn't see him, so I asked the bus boy for some coffee. The waiter never checked back with us so we had to ask for coffee refills. He did manage to bring our check right away, but when we asked him to split the check between two credit cards he messed it up and over charged me and had to do run them both through again. $$$$ restaurants should make your business conversations run smoothly. They should anticipate simple needs and get it right. Lastly, the ambiance is only so-so. Not very intimate. We were disappointed.
- Exactly as I remembered...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014This was my second time to dine here and it was exactly as I remembered. As you can see, our dining experience was excellent. The steaks on the menu are large but they offered a smaller size which was perfect.Special Features:
- 5 StarsCdrWileyDined on 2/15/2014The service, food, and ambiance were all outstanding. They allow you to bring your own wine with no corkage fee which was a huge plus. It was one of the best dining experiences I’ve ever had. If you would like to spend the money, I would definitely recommend visiting CPDC when dining in the Nation’s Capital.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charlie Palmer Steaks Still TopsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014This venue is still top of my list. The steaks were cooked to perfection. The sides were fresh and did not appear to be café style fair. The wait staff and manager was really attentive and saw to our every need. My thanks to all for making this a most excellent Valentine's Day evening. I recommend this venue anyone looking for classy, good food place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT UP TO CHARLIE PALMER STANDARDSTomKVIPDined on 2/11/2014We live in New Jersey and have been to Charlie Palmer's Aureole restaurant in NYC three times in the last year - all excellent experiences. So when we visited Washington DC for a night, we picked out this restaurant based on that. What a disappointment. While the service was fine, the food was quite mediocre all the way around. For a premier steakhouse with this pedigree, the meal as not as good as a Longhorn Steakhouse, I am so sad to say. My advise - skip this Charlie Palmer location when in DC.
- Unusual LocationHappifeet2Dined on 2/8/2014The food and service we're outstanding. It just seemed like the actual location was more suited to corporate/daytime visitors than evening guests. The surrounding streets we're almost desolate at 8pm on a Sat night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakMichikoDined on 2/8/2014Good food but lacked the wow quality for the price.Special Features:
- Bad Night!! Bad Chef!Msliz3000VIPDined on 2/7/2014The fish was not cooked in the center. I then spat out the uncooked fish placing it back onto the plate. Mr Brown then got the attention of our garçon and advised him of meal to be cooked properly. The meal was taken away. The meal returned how it was taken away even with the piece of fish I spat out onto the plate cooked and placed before me to eat. I returned it immediately. I dine at Charlie Palmers all the time. I was appalled by what the Chef had done. I had a lost for an appetite. This was my man's celebration gathering and he was so concern that I didn't eat.Special Features:
- Absolutely perfect!McHargmkDined on 1/31/2014My fiancé and I chose this restaurant off open table for a fancy night out and it was wonderful - we had the place to ourselves at 530, had an amazing meal, and great service. They were also very knowledgeable and sensitive to eating gluten free. We highly recommend it for those special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak I ever had!kimoDined on 1/18/2014The steak was amazing. And I've had a lot of steak. The filet was juicy, but bursting with flavor as well. Love the window seats next to the capital - beautiful at night. Also, the no corkage fee on American wines rule makes this place almost affordable for special occasions! What a great idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charlie palmerjoelDined on 1/18/2014we went for dc restaurant week and they gave us good portions and a few really good choices (steak and trout). both were excellent as was the beet salad and pork tenderloin appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceLuvgoodfoodDined on 1/18/2014My friends and I decided to try Charlie Palmer during resturant week. What a delight! The food was nicely prepared. Portions were good (even for our hungry husbands). The service was outstanding. It was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekDCAMichaelVIPDined on 1/17/2014The only down side was four of us went for Restaurant Week and our server said the steak portion were small and suggested we 'upgrade' to one of their other steaks for a "small upcharge". That upcharge we later found out was around $35 - $40 more per person. While it's subjective, to me, $40 per person ($160 total) was more than a "small" upcharge. Yes, we should have asked prior to ordering so I do take some responsibility here. Other than that, the food was excellent and ambiance can't be beaten, especially if hosting out-of-town colleagues. Great drink menu too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantsmg13Dined on 1/17/2014This is my second time at Charlie Palmer and I really enjoyed it. I love that they send out little tast dishes compliments of the chef. The bread and butter choices are always intereting as well. No complaints!!!!Special Features:
- Great Night, Amazing SteakSnazzyDinerDined on 1/17/2014We took in restaurant week here. The menu for restaurant week was a little confusing but very pleased to report any confusion in the menu communication was not represented in the amazing dishes. We will be back again wonderful unobtrusive service, amazing culinary delights. We were very pleased with our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently superiorOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/17/2014Consistently superior service and fare make CHARLIE PALMER an unforgettable experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the price.PapaRonDined on 1/17/2014Not your friendly neighborhood pub, but OK for the expense account lobbyists who inhabit rest of building. R/W lunch was good chanced to learn that this is not my cup of tea. Thanks, Charlie, valuable service performed. Comping (at least partially) the $22 parking fee would have been a plus.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014I went for restaurant week which sometimes means trouble. However, the service was amazing, the portions large, the selection great, and the food was delicious. I was very pleased and would definitely recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekSuckerForGreatnessDined on 1/16/2014The food was delicious! Highly recommended. However, finding the building may be an issue. The front entrance is on Louisiana and First. Will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed, but okay I guessMMMMMMDined on 1/16/2014Went here fore restaurant week. I decided to order off the pre-set menu and get the rib-eye and so did my friend's date. Her ribeye turned out to be juicier in comparison to mine. Mine was just plain dry and felt like it was sitting there for a while. I decided to send it back and order the chicken off the resturant week menu. The chicken was okay.. very tender which was great, but it lacked flavor. The flavor that it did have was very simple and did not have the nuances of taste that the description promised (I forget the exact dish & garnishes). The upside is that the atmosphere is pretty nice for small groups, I could see date night at this restaurant but it wouldn't be my first choice for a date.Special Features:
- FlawlessDeliciousVIPDined on 1/16/2014I have been eating at CP Steak for years now and every experience has never been short of flawless. The food is impeccable, service flawless, and ambiance perfect. I have dined at CP steak for lunch, dinner, and special occasions and it still ranks 1st on my list of top restaurants in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/15/2014My experience at Charlie Palmer's is always great. Starting with the tasty gift from the chef, to the dessert. The service was superb. The view of the Capitol is priceless at night. I enjoy taking out of town friends for the magnificent view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent as always.JohnnyDined on 1/15/2014Food was excellent as always. The maitre d' does an exceptional job making guests feel welcome. Service was a bit slow, but worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week GemCourtneyDined on 1/15/2014The risotto was AMAZING. Wait, the only problem was there wasn't enough of it! Let me go back for a moment. The ambiance was nice. Lots of people enjoying lunch that work in the area. Even more people trying out the restaurant based on the set menu for Restaurant Week. Their menu for RW was much better than most restaurants. And it didn't disappoint. The risotto... YES! The sirloin was perfection. The chicken breast was moist. The roasted beet salad and parsnip soup. I definitely recommend this restaurant with or without RW. Just do it. I'll most definitely be back.Special Features:
- Sucky Servicedcluv2dineVIPDined on 1/15/2014This being restaurant week and you showcase your service and food, this was bad. The waiter never returned to table after servicing us our water and drinks. Another servicer help us, when the food arrived one dish was cold had to send back and the other two meal were room temperature.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fairFelipeNPaganiVIPDined on 1/14/2014Maybe it was because of the restaurant week but, although friendly, service was really slow. Appetizers were good and the complimentary soup delicious, but after waiting for almost 30 minutes between the starter and the main course, the latter was served cold. When it comes to desserts, the cheesecake is good, but nothing outstanding. The chocolate pudding was one of the less exciting desserts that I´ve ever tried. Overall, good for restaurant week, but I would not pay $60 for an entree there in a regular night.Special Features: