Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charliepalmer.com/
- Phone: 2025478100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm.
Closed Sunday & Monday in July & August
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jeffery Russell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Charlie Palmer Steak moves the political power meetings out of the back room and into private dining spaces, sleek enclaves of dark wood where gathering around the table gets things done in the best possible way. A rooftop terrace, which can accommodate 400 guests, possesses the city's most impressive view of the Capitol.
- Special Events: We offer free corkage on domestic wines everyday, Friday imported wines are also free of corkage.
Join us for cocktails on our newly opened patio!
A word from Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
Located in the United Brotherhood of Carpenters headquarters off the wide, open expanse of the National Mall, Charlie Palmer Steak is dedicated to another fine master craft: big, bold American food. Under the direction of Executive Chef Jeffery Russell, the menu stars the best American artisan beef cuts like an aged Angus Rib-eye "Cowboy" steak as well as updated seafood classics such as the Iced Shellfish Platter of lobster, shrimp, king crab, and oysters. Underscoring the patriotic menu, Palmer's innovative wine cube—which appears to be floating on water—features 3,500 bottles of exclusively American wine and over 600 selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)notable wine list (50)fit for foodies (41)scenic view (37)romantic (37)good for groups (27)great for lunch (27)neighborhood gem (13)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (10)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (6)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Celebrate!Chatterboxx1969VIPDined on 6/20/2014I made this reservation for my parents' to enjoy their 50th anniversary. They thoroughly enjoyed the service, the food and entire experience. Thanks for making my parents feel special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, but worth itSheilaDined on 6/13/2014My friends and I chose from the price-fixed menu, which is a great bargain. We really enjoyed the selection and the quality of food. Everything was prepared to perfection and melted in our mouths. The service was a little slow and we had to wave for the waitress' attention a few times, but overall it was a good experience. As a side note, it was lunchtime when we went the world cup was playing in an area in or near the kitchen. Everytime the teams scored a goal we'd hear loud cheers coming from the kitchen, which made it a whole lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is the starHappilyfedDined on 6/11/2014This incredible steakhouse on the mall was a perfect choice for our anniversary. The halibut and filet were amazing and the dessert was perfection. The wine list is a nice mix of fancy bottles and solid mid price choices. The restaurant is a cool mix of quiet, romantic coves and a vibrant bar scene. No mTter where you eat, the food is fantastic and the service is incredible. Our waiter, Bobby, was a professional. Our glasses stayed full, his recommendations were spot on, and our dinner was perfectly paced. This place is worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great standardJDH1Dined on 6/11/2014Food, wine and service is always impeccable. Would recommend to anyone looking for a high quality food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014wait staff were incredibly helpful getting us in - out (we were working on rushed schedule)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but slow servicedbdcVIPDined on 6/10/2014Charlie Palmer's is definitely a place to be seen in the middle of a week when Congress is in session. The reservation was for 8 pm. We sat down about 750, ordered wine for the table and a few people ordered salads. The wine came immediately but the salads took about an hour to be served. The entrees, which were excellent,eventually arrived at 945 pm, nearly two hours after we sat down. People at our table were joking that the chefs must have gone on strike. Anyhow, the food was great but the service was very slow. One of the assistant managers did apologize, which was nice.Special Features:
- DisappointingMiekDined on 6/10/2014Charlie Palmer was recommended to us and we were quite excited to go there for a work dinner where I had invited a potential fundraiser and our CEO. His steak was chewy, her salmon was overdone. The fries were way too salty. Service was haphazard (lots of different waiters) and not ver unfriendly, but not very friendly either. The restaurant is pricey and certainly too expensive for the food they serve. My suggestion is that they spend less time making the plates and more actually cooking quality food. I will not ever dine there again, let alone take guests and business associated there.
- Simply The BestRagingmunkyzDined on 5/31/2014This was my third time at Charlie Palmers and it remains without a doubt the best restaurant experience I've had to date. The service is unparalleled, the food is perfection, the wine list is diverse and extensive. Everyone is friendly, knowledgable and professional. Yes, it is quite pricey, but you get what you pay for, and in this case, you're paying for the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1929 reviews are from the Charlie Palmer Steak - DC reviews archive.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Had an amazing dinner here. The appetizers were very creative and executed to perfection. The NY Strip was so flavorful and cooked perfectly. Cant wait to come back and try it again. Hands down the best Steak House in DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/21/2014There is nothing special about this restaurant other than its location. I've eaten in fine restaurants all over the world. I've eaten in many of the highly regarded places in DC. CP isn't remotely close to any of them. The food wasn't bad, but steaks at Ryan's Family Steakhouses aren't bad either. Not worth the money. Don't go.
- Capitol ViewLadmantVIPDined on 5/17/2014Majestic view, perfectly charred steak, huge salads. Portions are sizable enough to share. Loved the hangar steak, which I don't find often in American steakhouses. A great meal for a great evening.Special Features:
- A big disappointmentbarbara960VIPDined on 5/17/2014We went to celebrate my son's college graduation. Having eaten at other Palmer restaurants, we were expecting a great experience. We found the several poor reviews on Open Table to be accurate and the five star reviews to be mystifying. Appetizers; tuna tartare flavorless. Steaks: filet mignonette orderededium by two diners/ so rare they had to be sent back. Ribeye full of gristle . This is unacceptable at a so called steakhouse. Also, they then have the gall to charge for any sauce. The service was slow. The final blow was when we asked fro a tax, they directed us to a waiting car. The driver charged us double the regular fee. Only one positive- they let you bring your own wine- a small consolation for an overly expensive bad dinner.
- Sorry, I Strayed!MarcelloGastronomiDined on 5/16/2014The inimitable Marcello Mastroianni was known to have strayed from the embrace of Sophia Loren. It happens. Though I rarely seek any restaurant other than Italian, fortunately I tried Charlie Palmer Steak. Maybe they just try harder. The more notable steak places were booked solid. Charlie filled my requested time, I was running late and arrived without a chance to change attire--no problem. They did not hide me in a corner, I had a table overlooking the adjacent Capitol lawn. Great ambience. Staff could not be more pleasant or accommodative. The Bibb lettuce and endive salad superb. Steak, sides and steak sauce were among the best I've had. Chef's dessert irresistible. If you're going to have a dalliance, have it with Charlie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charlie Palmer Birthday DinnerKeiraDined on 5/10/2014Pros: $0 corkage fee for American wine, outstanding steaks Cons: Salads were awful - all of the lettuce was wilted, noisy (we were seated by a group that had kids), service wasn't what we expected I'll admit that the plan was to go there for the steaks and the ability to bring in our own bottle of wine, both of which worked out great. The service staff, when prompted, was good. We were disappointed that neither the waiter nor the busboy seemed concerned when they cleared our almost full salad plates away. They also forgot to check us in, so Open Table thought we didn't honor our reservation, which was another thing that made it not as good of an experience as it could have been.Special Features:
- None Better!JKK1Dined on 5/10/2014Went here to celebrate the 65th anniversary of my in-laws. Everyone at Charlie Palmers knocked it out of the park for us! From the great table in the window, to the special appetizer from the chef, through the attentive service of our waiter Rodriguez and the sommelier and the constant, but unobtrusive fine service of all who cleared dishes and brought out more plates and refilled water---it was all exceptional. We tried five different main courses, three sides and four desserts. And ate it all--delish! They made a special artful dessert for the happy couple. The big finish was an unexpected visit to the rooftop with manager Mike and a spectacular Capitol view. THANK YOU! For a special event or simply spectacular food and service- DINE HERESpecial Features:
- InpersonalJorgeDined on 5/2/2014We felt that the staff were a bit less that warm. My steak was too salty but I must say it was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodgeegeeDined on 4/30/2014Great food. Love the atmosphere. very elegant and modern. fois gras is the best anywhere!! definitely recommend that if you are a fan. service was a bit slow that night but not too bad. love the lemelson pinot noir...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Business Dinner SpotBusinessDined on 4/29/2014Excelleant steak, so-so service. good business dinner location and good for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new Capitol Hill favoriteGidgetGoesSeafoodVIPDined on 4/29/2014Excellent food. Outstanding and informed service. Convenient location to the Hill and surrounding agencies.
- Good but Expected BetterDisDineVIPDined on 4/26/2014I had the Sea Bass with crab risotto, which was great. Hubby had a steak, which he did not enjoy. It was over seasoned and fatty/stringy. While we were seated, we had several people come to our table to ask if we needed help, but it was so unorganized that we wound up getting poor service. Our waiter was too quiet and not very knowledgable (seemed to be a big language barrier). We sat for 25 minutes with dirty dishes in front of us. We were going to order dessert, but were so put off by sitting there, we skipped it. Our table was nice - in the front window facing the Capitol, but it would have been better in the winter when the trees didn't have leaves. For the steep prices, we'd rather go to Capital Grill.Special Features:
- Got embarrassed!JohnDined on 4/24/2014I went to the restaurant to thank some very important clients. For the most part, the Manager and staff were attentive. The only problem was when my guest ordered french fries as a side with her meal, it never came. We followed up twice and they said that they were working on it but to no avail. They offered free dessert to compensate but my clients had to go back to work. No discounts were offered.Special Features:
- SwitzerlandVIPDined on 4/23/2014Outstanding steaks, and Oscar's service was superb!Special Features:
- Best Chef on the east coastluvmyfoodVIPDined on 4/19/2014Couldn't rave more about this restaurant. Love the food, great service, and amazing ambiance. The chef is amazing! So innovative in his menu and has never brought out a dish we didn't rant and rave about for months. You HAVE to eat here, you won't regret it.Special Features:
- Bravo to Charlie Palmer'sMarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 4/18/2014Charlie Palmer's never disappoints! The food, ambience and the entire dining experience from beginning to end is first class! It's the perfect place to bring families and friends for special occasions and just for lunch! It will be a superb experience every time!Special Features:
- Very DisappointingDCDinerVIPDined on 4/18/2014Been some time since I have dined here. Beautiful space, food was delicious and great desserts. But the coldest and most indifferent welcome from the start to exit. Servers disorganized and long long gaps between courses, some guests served and others we had to wait another 5 to 10 minutes for their dish to be served so as we waited food cooled. Lots of staff chatting with each other and paying no attention to the guests. Won't return to this place again.
- Lunch Time Favoritefoodie4lunchDined on 4/18/2014I enjoy lunch here every chance I get. The food selection and service is always excellent. The view is pleasant and the restaurant noise is low enough to hold a private conversation without a problem. I have taken a number of people from my office for special occasions and enjoy the fact that when we have a schedule to meet, we are able to get in and out without feeling rushed.Special Features:
- My family goes to CharlieMikeDined on 4/14/2014My family goes to Charlie Palmer's for special occasions and has never been disappointed. Steaks are the best we've had in town. Love the open atmosphere and moderate noise levels (we could actually have a converstion at a 6 person table).Special Features:
- Best for Price Fixe LunchBrianVIPDined on 4/14/2014Wonderful team. Food was great. Price was reasonable. Location can't be beat. Awesome experience.
- Known for Steaks?SteveVIPDined on 4/12/2014With the word "steak" in its name you would think this restuarant would ahve cooking a medium rare Filet down to a science. We had to send ours back twice. They did the right thing in not charging us for it. The server did the wrong thing when he suggested that we could not see how the steak was cooked very well due to the glare coming in from the window. Very strange. This had been our "go to" special event restaurant. We now need to find another.
- Hit and MissadadVIPDined on 4/12/2014It seems this place provides a widely variable experience. The location is great as was the steak. On the negative side were the sides. Both at our table were just cold (not really the way you'd like to see a multiply baked potato especially). The service was gruff and basically nonexistent - badly deficient timing and attitude. An appetizer was beyond soaked in soy sauce and overwhelmingly salty. When informed upon his asking, the waiter said "Oh," never to check in with us again. The runners were more helpful and informed than those you would expect to provide service. I can see how this place could be great, but sadly it just didn't happen when we were there.Special Features:
- Yummy food, too many lobbyists...DaisyDined on 4/11/2014Charlie Palmer is conveniently located at the base of Capitol Hill which unfortunately means it's a magnet for lobbyists lunches and fundraisers in the private room, both of which give it that annoying networking vibe. People are constantly looking around to see who's there, who's arriving, walking over to another table to schmooze. To me, it detracts from what is otherwise a very good restaurant with excellent food, a bright and light decor, and great service that is attentive and deferential without being obsequious. Everyone from the staff who greet you at the door to the servers are efficient, pleasant and discreet. The steak salad is a favourite, substantial without being overly filling, and the crabcakes are especially delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch!!LKayCDined on 4/5/2014We took my father-in-law there on Sat to celebrate his 80th bday. Our table looked out to the Capitol and the food and service were terrific.Special Features:
- Fantastic DinnerTraceyDined on 4/2/2014I Loved Charlie Palmer's. The location was incredible with a perfect view of The Capitol! The halibut topped with blue crab meat was divine! Hubby's filet could be eaten with only a fork, tender and delicious. The twice baked potato was outstanding and could easily be split between 2 people. The staff was extremely polite and professional. Perfect night for 2 sightseers from Atlanta! Thank you CP!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTravisVIPDined on 3/29/2014The food at CP is wonderful. We love Cp and have many 20 times. This was the first time the service was poor. We will be back, hopefully with a better experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very upscale, great menuDoctorDDined on 3/29/2014The food was excellent and the service impeccable. A very elegant setting quite close to the capital building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Just for Great SteaksDining101VIPDined on 3/28/2014Charlie Palmer's in DC has it all - great steaks, seafood,desserts, ambiance and attentive service. One other big reason we ate there was they have one of the best policies in the city for bringing your own wine. Charlie Palmer's gets what customers are looking for in a terrific restaurant. If you only have 1 night in DC and you want a steak - this is the place.
- Fantastic EverythingBradDined on 3/28/2014Everything was fantastic. From the minute you arrive the check in, coat check, drink service ambiance, wait staff and the chef are all top shelf. We arrived on time for a reservation and we were seated immediately. The wine list is extensive and well rounded, the food was carefully , well prepared and delicious from bread to dessert and the entire wait staff was on the ball.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always FlawlessDeliciousVIPDined on 3/28/2014I frequent CP Steak because I have never been disappointed. This time was no different. I brought in some colleagues for lunch and they had the most fabulous restaurant experience of their life. From the Food to the Service to the Ambiance. It's always a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- on a snowy Tuesday night dinnerBubbaDined on 3/25/2014on a snowy Tuesday night dinner service was full of suited patrons conducting business dinners over a bottle of wine or a martini. The service was attentive but polite and respectful and clearly used to handling a full restaurant. This was my second trip and I ordered the bone in Rib eye which was cooked to perfection and was delicious to the last bite. The only problem is that my prior trip I ordered the bone in NY strip which was equally fantastic! My dilemma is which to order next time, and there will be a next time very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Power Lunching on the HillDiningOneDined on 3/24/2014Great food (but not cheap!) and very attentive service. A great Washington tradition near the hill. For those important lunches when you want the best. It's got to be Charlie Palmers.Special Features: