2320 Central Avenue
Alameda, CA 94501Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.papporestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5103379100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday. Starting at 5:30 pm
Brunch: Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: John Thiel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Pappo is available for Private Parties up to 45 people. Great for showers and rehersal dinners!
- Private Party Contact: John Thiel 5103379100
A word from Pappo
"Northern California Cuisine Done With Precision"-Oakland Tribune A Blend Of Local, Seasonal and Organic Ingredients Prepared Using Classic and Modern Technique."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Pappo - Best Restaurants in Alameda ›
Pappo reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (39)special occasion (30)romantic (25)notable wine list (20)great for outdoor dining (13)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- I need to eat a gluten freePattyDined on 6/16/2013I need to eat a gluten free diet for health reasons. Whereas the waitress volunteered to answer my questions, the chef was not very cooperative. We ordered some fries and the chef just explained that the oil they were using had been used for other foods that had gluten. I would have liked for him to volunteer to use new oil for our order. So, I could not eat any fries.
- A gem in AlamedaJohnDined on 6/13/2013Our dining there matched Pappo's reputation. It seems to be the best place we've found in Alameda. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/9/2013Great food and great service. The chef/pwner mingles with the customers and adds a nice personal touch. The servers are very attentive. I recommend it highly to everyone.Special Features:
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2013We loved Pappo. Great food and lovely ambiance. A real gem in the Alameda scene on park street. The menu is delightful and it was perfect for our romantic date night. Our only slight issue is that waitress seemed a bit rushed and all-business. She took our drink order and was gone before we looked twice. Happened again with the food. I don't know if they were understaffed that night. We'll be back, and hopefully find a server as happy to be there as we are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantMikeVIPDined on 6/7/2013My wife and I just moved to Alameda and we walked over to Pappo. We had a great meal (calamari, beets, mixed green sald, truffle/ parmesan and truffle gnocchi, and steak) with a great server. The truffle gnocchi was really delicious but heavy, a good item to share. The steak was delicious with really good greens. The beets were fresh and very tasty. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and slowOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2013Overpriced for what you get and the quality. The food is average. I ordered the hangar steak medium. It came well done and tough. Service is extremely slow. If you're going to a movie, allow extra time. We won't be going back, as there are other restaurants that give you more value for your money.Special Features:
- Could easily be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/5/2013Once again, Pappos fell flat for me. They were seriously understaffed and it took 3 hours for us to have drinks, appetizers, dinner and dessert. The waitress, while she said all the right things, was not warm and did not cue into us well at all. The table was too small for a party of four and we were constantly trying to move plates around. Food was pretty good...kale salad and desserts were outstanding. We were trying to celebrate a special occasion but something kept getting in our way...I think it was the waitress.
- Charming and ComfortableLARayDined on 6/2/2013The food was outstanding and the service, impeccable! The ambiance created a charming and comfortable setting. It was like eating at a friend's house. I almost wanted to get up and help with the dishes afterward. :) I'm from Southern California, so it was a real treat to find Pappo. I will certainly recommend it to my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food ... varied portion sizesMelindaDined on 6/1/2013Very good food at Poppo. The wine was also good. Only complaint was that the Gnocchi portion was much too small (enough sauce but only 9 pieces of Gnocchi). I actually left the Poppo's hungry. I would definitely go back but would make sure I ordered an item that would be equivalent to the other pasta dishes.Special Features:
- it's fresh...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2013Was a bit disappointed that there were no potatoes other than fries on the menu.The pate was nothing to write home about, although it was very attractively plated. i just can't imagine paying $26 for a skirt steak and fries, which was the only beef offering other than a burger... We were told that we could upgrade to a rib eye. No price was given...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dinnerapfoodDined on 5/26/2013we had a wonderful dinner at pappo. the food was fabulous--we especially liked the anchovy-filled olives, the steak frites, and tuna tartar. the wine list was very reasonable and the service was excellent. we will definitely be back--often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alameda GemBonTonDined on 5/23/2013Love going to Pappo's--perfect caesar salad, perfect steak and the most perfect chocolate terrine on the planet!Special Features:
- A-MAZINGSocialSandiDined on 5/19/2013I've eaten at just about every restaurant on the island, and after 4-years in-between meals there Pappo's is still the best!Special Features:
- Great Alameda spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2013We took our time trying Pappo out, but, now that we've been, we wish we'd gone much sooner. The service was excellent. We enjoyed the burger and the arugula and quinoa salad. I love the decor and the nice little patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PappoOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/12/2013When we arrived for our reservation, we were seated immediately and the server took care of us right away. The server went over the daily specials. We order the salami plate, duck liver pâté, arugula with quinoa, and Tuscany kale salad as appetizer. All the appetizer were very good and easy to share. Next up for entrees, duck leg, steak frites, salmon and 2 sea bass. The Seabass was moist with a crispy skin. It was delicious. As for the salmon, it was mostly dry with the exception of the center. Duck leg was very good. But the steak frites was flank steak which was chewy and just okay. Overall, it was a good dining experience with fast service and we were done with dinner quickly for Mother Day.Special Features:
- Happy Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/12/2013We went for a Mother's Day dinner and had a great meal. Food was excellent and the staff were very accommodating to our child. The food was fresh and the timing was great. We will go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little neighborhood specialOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/24/2013A little neighborhood special in Alameda. Will definitely come back again!Special Features:
- Disappointing overallOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2013I had dinner at Pappo's several times several years ago and thought it was wonderful. I had Easter brunch there a couple of years ago and again thought it was great. However, our brunch there last Sunday was just okay. The service was quite slow, especially since we arrived early and there was only one other table occupied for the first 20 minutes or so. It took too long to get our drinks, to get our order taken, and to get our food. I had the strata with strawberries and pecans (a variation on French toast) and it was overly sweet, with very few tiny fragments of pecans and not enough strawberries. To be fair, my friend ordered the egg scramble with smoked salmon and asparagus, and I tasted it and it was quite good.
- Tasty, fresh, cutting edgeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/13/2013Tasty, fresh, cutting edge and traditional, well curated wine list, good prices, great neighborhood, across from beautiful historic movie theater.Special Features:
- Food is predictibly and solidlyOpentableVIPDined on 4/7/2013Food is predictibly and solidly good and menu is varied enough to meet most anyone's taste. The once "must have" bread pudding has lost some luster.Special Features:
- A pleasant return visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013The food was well presented, and staff split the dishes we shared for us without us having to ask. I appreciate the fresh dishes and flatware smoothly exchanged out with every course. Salmon was moist and seasoned well. And dessert shared was plenty for two - and delicious. We ordered thefruit and cheese plate for the first time. Camberbert cheese was warm and good with the toasted bread. We were a bit disappointed to only get 6 small raspberries as the fruit portion of this appetizer plate. My boyfriend, who is a bit of a wine connoisseur, was impressed with his glass of wine. We had requested the window seat and were quite happy to be shown to this table on arrival - as there is only one. A nice treat.Special Features:
- This was the best meal outOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/23/2013This was the best meal out I have had in a long time. Wonderful food. I went with my boyfriend and his mom. We all ordered something different and each meal was fantastic. I had the special which was lamb, mushroom bread pudding and brussel sprouts and it was perfect. The wine list was good, and the prices reasonable. Service was attentive, and friendly without being too "there". I would highly recommend this place and I'm really fussy.Special Features:
- CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Everything was fantastic .... great portions ... great quality .... very good service! We will be back.Special Features:
- We hadn't been to Pappo indenaliVIPDined on 3/15/2013We hadn't been to Pappo in awhile and were very impressed with the quality of the food. The flavors were great and portions were ample.Special Features:
- I love Pappo's. The food andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2013I love Pappo's. The food and service are always excellent.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our pre-concertGoodfoodfanaticVIPDined on 2/1/2013We enjoyed our pre-concert dinner with friends! Food and service were both excellent.
- We went during the weekendmesohungryVIPDined on 12/30/2012We went during the weekend between Christmas and NYE, so this may not be normal, but the waiter first told us that they were out of most of the salads and then were out of both of the entrees we ordered. When we finally received some appetizers, there was paper in one.
- My husband and I LOVE Pappo.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/28/2012My husband and I LOVE Pappo. We have yet to be disappointed with the menu or service. The staff is amazing. The food is wonderful. Only one very minor thing to note - the last two times we have gone in... it seems the restaurant has gotten more kid-friendly. This means dining with some parents who can't comprehend that not everyone finds their obnoxious children as adorable as they do. The last dinner was accompanied by a mother and child yelling as they played rock, paper, SCISSORS! This shouldn't be held against Pappo - just something to be aware of.Special Features:
- Great location, decor andDouglysfDined on 12/21/2012Great location, decor and vibe. Unfortunately, the food and service did not measure up.
- Great food and service. TheJeanDined on 12/20/2012Great food and service. The weekly market dinners are always excellent, and a good value.Special Features:
- Ecellent restaurant fails BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/9/2012Pappos is wonderful for dinner, but completely different for Sunday brunch. The menu (a la carte) is VERY limited, but does include a few breakfast items as well as about two items for lunch. My friend ordered their sandwich of the day, which was described more or less as a Croque Monsieur, but was basically a BLT with a choice of "cheddar or jack" on a bagette. Very boring and hard to eat. I ordered a Bolognese Pasta and the sauce had a nice sage taste, but way too much sauce. The server got some aspects of the order confused, but cheerfully eliminated charges for unwanted items. The place was almost empty. Since there are few places to enjoy a nice lunch on the island on Sundays, let's hope Pappos brunch improves!Special Features:
- The staff is what makes thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/30/2012The staff is what makes this place such a gem it has a great feel and the food was really good too!Special Features:
- Menu choices vary considerablyTravelinGalDined on 11/30/2012Menu choices vary considerably from season to season. While the food is good, it is not great, especially for the price. Interior is attractive but because there are no soft surfaces it is very noisy when full, limiting the conversation you can have with your table mates. Also, the time required to be served seemed long.
- Your restaurant lived up toJandBDined on 11/28/2012Your restaurant lived up to the great reviews we read on the Internet. We had a very pleasant dinner, the food and service were excellent.Special Features:
- I would like to see more opetionShekiDined on 11/17/2012I would like to see more opetion on the entree list. I very much enjoyed what we had and I would have like more options.Special Features:
- The service was outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2012The service was outstanding - best experience I have had in Alameda. The food was excellent. I had the burger, and my friend had a pasta dish. Both came out quick and were full of flavor. Great wine and beer options too.Special Features:
- We love Pappo! The food isOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2012We love Pappo! The food is terrific, the wait staff is attentive without being overly so, and very professional. The duck liver appetizer is amazing, as is the gnocchi entre - light and the bolognese sauce was delicious! We also had the bolognese sauce with shredded zucchini (in place of pasta). Terrific! We didn't have time for dessert this time, but usually have the bread pudding - delicious!Special Features:
- Great food and ambiencecgc94705VIPDined on 10/28/2012Food was very good. Sumptuous bread pudding for dessert. Waiter was cool and mechanical, the weakest part of the experience.Special Features:
- OrdinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/26/2012Service was good but the food was ordinary. My friend and I were warned that the Liberty Ranch Duck Leg was almost out. It was only 7:15pm and already out of a dish? I tend to like dishes that are not typically made at home. I wanted the duck leg. The service person took so long to get back to us; it was no surprise that they were out of it. I ordered the filet mignon prepared medium and it was served rare. The tables are set close together. It was hard to hear ourselves over our neighbor’s conversation. For the price of food, I would expect exceptional, out of the ordinary dishes. I had been wanting to experience Pappos for some time. Now that I have, I probably won’t be visiting again any time soon.
- It's delicious. Specials areOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2012It's delicious. Specials are always interesting. It's nestled in the Alameda downtown (you know Alameda? where the hipsters come to breed?) and it's got the exposed brick and nice wood kind of thing going on but really the food and service are the best. Always ask about the soup. Really good stuff is in there. The wine is swell too. The chef's family has a private brand that is only sold in the restaurant. We had a bottle of Pinot Noir that was just great. You will really like the laid back atmosphere and the high quality food. Just the thing for a swell, quiet, and special night out.Special Features: