2320 Central Avenue
Alameda, CA 94501Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.papporestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5103379100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday. Starting at 5:30 pm
Brunch: Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: John Thiel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Pappo is available for Private Parties up to 45 people. Great for showers and rehersal dinners!
- Private Party Contact: John Thiel 5103379100
A word from Pappo
"Northern California Cuisine Done With Precision"-Oakland Tribune A Blend Of Local, Seasonal and Organic Ingredients Prepared Using Classic and Modern Technique."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Pappo - Best Restaurants in Alameda ›
Pappo reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (38)special occasion (27)romantic (24)notable wine list (18)great for outdoor dining (13)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (4)great for brunch (4)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Market Dinner DelightTheCMCDined on 2/20/2014At least once in your life you should treat your tastebuds to a Thursday night "Market Dinner" at PappO! Chef John Thiel does a great job of turning seasonal market finds into creative and delicious first, second and third courses, and oh, need I not overlook my favorite part of a meal, yummy desserts! And should you want to enhance your dining experience, make sure to order the recommended wine pairings for a gourmet extravaganza : )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner on Valentine's DayGabbyDined on 2/14/2014I came here for the Valentine's Day pre-fixe menu. It was excellent! I really enjoyed the food and the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent evening at PappoFriendly2Dined on 2/8/2014We dined with another couple on a Saturday night. The food, service and ambience were all very good. It exceeded our expectations. The prices seemed very reasonable for the quality. The menu had plenty of good choices. The only drawback was that it was noisier than we preferred. We'd happily return if in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place. Hidden Gem.craigbeeDined on 1/30/2014Love this place. Hidden Gem. Always amazed when I find someone who hasn't had the pleasure of dining here. After I recommend Pappo, the next time i speak to that person, they seem to be a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our meal choices were excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/29/2014Our meal choices were excellent, service were very attentive. I would opt for different seating arrangements. We were seated in close proximity to other diners, I felt that I was part of their conversation. I would definitely dine there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but portions, includingDocADined on 1/25/2014Great food but portions, including the the wine by the glass, were too small for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VongoleGeorgeDined on 1/23/2014Good but portions too small. Need too serve more pasta. The hamburger was excellent. The service was the best.I would recommend this to a friend.
- unexpected pleasureMentiDined on 1/10/2014Great evening....food was fantastic, service was outstanding (especially our next best friend Tracy). This was an unexpected pleasure....went there several years ago and was unimpressed to say the least about the service..... what a change... every thing was great. So excited to try it again, we will be regulars.Special Features:
- Chef John knows how to preparejoecoolortizDined on 1/9/2014Chef John knows how to prepare exquisite food, and the atmosphere and service are always outstanding. A great local secret in Alameda.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall nice dining experience. SatPeachDined on 12/14/2013Overall nice dining experience. Sat down and waited 10 minutes before wait staff approached table. First course dishes were removed and we waited 10-15 minutes for main course. Not sure if it was wait staff or kitchen. Other than that, all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pappo continues to deliverDeniaDined on 12/8/2013We attended the special Winemaker's Dinner on Sunday night that featured Stage Left Cellars. Chef's John's savory and delectable courses brought out something different in each of the wines. And at $59 per person, it was an indulgent but yet affordable date night for 2 working parents. Thank you so much Chef John and Pappo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent experienceCDB1Dined on 12/6/2013Went to Pappo again Friday night. The service is always excellent and the ambience attractive and relaxing. The food is always good as well, but some nights it is just excellent and this was one of them. The short ribs were just right, all the flavors coming together to make a terrific dish. Even better was the special salad with a meyer lemon dressing made with lemons from Chef John's sister's own tree. What a neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There aren't many higher-endXenosDined on 11/15/2013There aren't many higher-end restaurants in Alameda, but Pappo definitely fits the bill. It's not just a good restaurant for Alameda though, I think that it would fit right in in San Francisco or Rockridge. If I had a complaint, it's that they only serve beer and wine, while I normally like to have a cocktail with dinner. However, on the plus side, their wine prices are very reasonable. Overall a very nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Gourmet food in AlamedalooningDined on 11/13/2013I loved my Pappo experience. Service was very cordial and I liked the fact that there were several options of wine by the glass to match the food we ordered. Flavors are interesting and I loved their zucchini spaghetti!!! Great idea, great taste. I do feel the menu is limited, I would have like to see more options. What we had was great though. I will be going there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impress the visitorscrabbyDined on 11/13/2013Pappo was highly recommended to me so I didn't hesitate about taking out of town friends for a "good" dining experience to remember their visit to Alameda. What we didn't expect was "great" dining experience, an all around hit. My friends will return in the spring with the expectation to return to Pappo. For myself, I intend to dine often in an attempt to sample the complete menu, soup to nuts. The duck entree will remain an all-time favorite. I am still conjuring the smell and taste of stuffed olives and wish I could have that tidbit on a daily basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always PerfectSandyLDined on 11/10/2013Have been a fan of Pappo for eight years. The menu is amazing and changes seasonally. Everything is fresh and well prepared. The wine list is very good and priced fairly. Service is great. Most of all, dining at Pappo is always a special experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!PattyDined on 10/26/2013Great food, service, wine, desserts, just excellent in every way!! Walkable from jingletown area of Oakland. It is our family's go-to place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSommDined on 10/24/2013Loved every dish! Especially the zucchini spaghetti, super delicious. Would definitely patronize again!Special Features:
- We dined here Friday eveningMaxchotshotVIPDined on 10/18/2013We dined here Friday evening and remembered why Pappo's is one of the best restaurants in Alameda. The service is friendly and professional. We both had the duck which was excellent. We couldn't resist the pumpkin bread pudding with bourbon sauce, it was divine! If you like great food and wine, this is the place!Special Features:
- A big dissapointment this time out!SkipDined on 10/13/2013We were quite disappointed this time out. We usually are very pleased with Pappo. One of out favorites in Alameda maybe even our favorite restaurant in town. Usually I have to choose between entre's but the menu was very limited this night. For a carnivore the choice was duck or hamburger which is not what I expect when dining out for a special occasion. One of the entre's we choose was spegetti with shredded zucchini for $15.00. It was just as advertised spaghetti and zucchini, no sauce no spices evident in the flavor. We had to ask for Parmesan to brighten up the flavor to make it palatable. The $15.00 hamburger was good it not up to the price. The duck was good but dry and had been prepared for some time before it was served.Special Features:
- Always Outstanding!JP2GPVIPDined on 10/12/2013We have dined at Pappo at least a half a dozen times over the last few years; by ourselves or we have brought friends and family. The service and ambiance is always very good. You can be casual or dressy. The food feels so fresh and tastes wonderful, from the appetizers, salads, entrees to the desserts . The wine selection is quite nice. We and our dining companions are never disappointed.Special Features:
- Gave it a tryMsFoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2013We wouldn't make the trip to go back, but if we lived in Alameda we would eat here. We tried the anchovy olives mentioned by some reviewers & liked them. The tomato sauce on the chicken was flavorless, the bird was slightly overdone, but the polenta under it was excellent. I was surprised there was no green vegetable served with it to perk up the plate. The duck leg was very good, but not outstanding. We like that they try to serve sustainable and locally sourced food and especially appreciated that the chef does not over-salt the food like so many places do. The service was excellent (except for the initial seating when I had to request a quiet table that was open, even though my Open Table reservation had already asked for it).
- Great spot!TuckVIPDined on 9/26/2013We LOVE Pappo's. John does a fantastic job with the menu, the food is dynamite and they have a great wine list. My only complaint (and it's a personal bias) is that I don't like sitting right next to someone else. Wish there was a bit more elbow room. Other than that, we'll come back again and again. One of the absolute best spots in AlamedaSpecial Features:
- Would absolutely dine here againlovesagoodbookDined on 9/21/2013After reading the reviews here we were wondering how our visit would go service-wise! However, with the exception of a large lull between dinner and dessert, service was perfect for us. 2 ordered an aperitif which was apparently much enjoyed, as a second followed. The four of us shared 2 Caesar salads, which were perfect in size and composition - greens seemed picked moments before and dressing was spot-on perfect. For entrees we had read the reviews and chose: sole (good), chicken parmesan (good), steak (good) and duck (amazing). Desserts were split again, the chocolate terrine was lick-the-plate delicious and the strawberry shortcake was perfect, with the cake warm, and fresh berries and whipped cream in perfect proportion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKWadeDined on 9/21/2013Menu is small. I ordered the burger with a salad but they brought out fries instead. I asked for tomato with my burger and they didn't have any.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great MealMikeVIPDined on 9/20/2013My wife and I have been to Pappo twice. Both meals have been delicious. The duck was excellent, the zucchini spaghetti was really tasty and the arugula salad was a hit with both of us. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific from start to finisheksiiiDined on 9/7/2013My spouse and I had a salad, a soup, 3 appetizers, and a pasta dish in all. Each was spectacular, with the lamb bolognese pasta, ahi tuna, and fried anchovy olives being the stand-outs. Rose wine was excellent, as was service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Dinner and MovieSweatPantsDined on 8/31/2013Great ambiance and delicious food. Very convenient location with parking garage right around the corner and beautiful movie theater right across the street. For us, this is a splurge location but well worth the splurge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much better than a few months agoOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2013Went a few months ago and service was not good. This time, it was excellent, efficient and available. Very good food and good wine suggestion from waitress. Yay Pappo, keep it up!Special Features:
- Noise is unbearable. AppetizerslovelifeDined on 8/15/2013Noise is unbearable. Appetizers not worth the price.Special Features:
- Very GoodThatsItVIPDined on 8/10/2013The food is consistently very good. The duck I had was outstanding..Special Features:
- Local GemStaceyMJDined on 7/21/2013Love this place! Wonderful food and top notch service. I love that the family produces their own wine. Their Pinot Noir is outstanding. A must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best in Alameda!MaxchotshotVIPDined on 7/19/2013Pappo's changed the dining scene in Alameda when they opened in Alameda. It is by far one the best restaurants in the Bay Area, not just Alameda. The service is always friendly and professional. The food is Fantastic! You can never go wrong. particularly with the duck. The last Friday, both my husband and I had their special for the evening the Beef Sugo...it was exceptional! The beef melted in your mouth. The chef,/owner John Thiel is gracious and charming and so very talented in the kitchen. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- The Food was Excellent! IOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/19/2013The Food was Excellent! I had chicken which was delicious served with amazing polenta! My husband had the duck which he really enjoyed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special treat in AlamedaKuttnerDined on 7/17/2013Our dinner at Pappo was very good. The food is consistently delicious and the service is lovely. Unfortunately, the prices are too high and portions are a little small so Pappo is a special occasion for me. I appreciate the quality, emphasis on sustainable ingredients and seasonality. Dinner (two entree, 2 glasses of wine and one dessert, tax and tip came to $108.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wildly inconsistantPtwoSDined on 7/13/2013Took a couple of out-of-town visitors to dinner last Sat night. Three out of four meals were really poor - a fish entree was over-cooked & tasteless accompanied by under-cooked potatoes; squid was bready and tasteless, and a third (hot) entree was served cold. Talk about an off night in the kitchen. I regret not sending back at least a couple of dishes, but we were all very polite and didn't compare notes until we left the restaurant. How embarrassing! We've had good meals there before, and mediocre. Too easy to find good execution elsewhere… why go back?
- L's Alameda FavoritelarmsVIPDined on 7/13/2013Always love going to Pappo. The food is always delicious with a changing menu to suit the season and a delightful wait staff.Special Features:
- A Bittersweet ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/29/2013While the food was pretty good, the service was appalling. I had to constantly remind the waiters and bus boy to bring us our silverware, and bread (and refills for our main courses).Special Features:
- MenuGeorgeDined on 6/29/2013Need to change menu more often. Add more beef dishes plus specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot afternoon in AlamedaretiredguyDined on 6/29/2013Too hot to cook so we used OpenTable and found a reservation at 6PM that was convenient. Ate in the front and watched people. Had the hamburger and a glass of wine. Two people, same meal, fried olives, one glass of wine and vanilla ice cream with caramel and sea salt: $63.00 Great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.