1527 17th Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.agoradc.net/
- Phone: 2023326767
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday thru Thursday 5 p.m. until 11p.m. / late night menu until 1a.m.
Friday thru Saturday 5 p.m. until midnight/late night menu until 2 a.m.
Saturday and Sunday Brunch 11 a.m. until 3 p.m.
Monday - Friday : 11am - 3pm
Monday thru Thursday: 5 p.m. to 2 a.m.
Friday -5:00 p.m. to 3 a.m.
Saturday – 11a.m. to 3 a.m.
Sunday: 11:00 a.m. to 2 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek
- Executive Chef: Ghassan Jarrouj
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please call for more info.
- Special Events: EFFECTIVE MARCH 23RD 2013, OUR BOTTOMLESS BRUNCH WILL BE PRICED AT $32.99 PER PERSON.
A word from AGORA
Agora is a sensory pleasure oasis showcasing Mediterranean mezes with highlighted libations from Turkey & Greece.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
AGORA reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (119)neighborhood gem (109)fit for foodies (93)good for groups (77)great for brunch (70)special occasion (39)great for lunch (30)romantic (25)hot spot (25)notable wine list (22)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (12)scenic view (1)Show More
- Delicious small plates, wine high$MargieVIPDined on 5/2/2014Our group enjoyed all of our selections - the octopus was especially superb - tender & sweet. Extensive wine list, but hard to find a reasonably priced bottle. $45 was least expensive option I found.Special Features:
- Agora is fabvrob40Dined on 5/2/2014This is the sixth time I've eaten at Agora, and I have never left disappointed. Favorite foods --- shrimp (succulent, great garlic); hummus (I could eat it every day), branzino (YUM); grilled chicken (the sauce is addictive); Brussels sprouts (YUMMY), steak with pomegranate sauce (to die for). My friends love the beef and lamb flat bread, and although I am not a big fan of lamb, I enjoyed it, too. Desserts are refreshing and light --- rice pudding is my favorite.Special Features:
- Never disappointsbmillzDined on 4/28/2014Their food is always delicious and the service is pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service!AlexisVIPDined on 4/26/2014We did the unlimited brunch for $32.00 (unlimited food and drink). Our server was amazing-- she was very friendly and never let our glasses or plated get empty! Wonderful food as well!Special Features:
- Great Food, Poor ServicedcfoodDined on 4/24/2014We went here for a formal occasion. The ambiance was a cross between a local hangout and a gourmet restaurant. The food came quickly and everything was very tasty. It was a little hard to judge the size of the small tapas plates but we had enough to eat by splitting 2-3 dishes each. While the food was excellent, the service was atrocious. We waited almost 20 minutes before a server even approached the table to take drink orders. After we ordered our food, we only saw him once more. When we attempted to get his attention to retrieve the check, he was too engrossed in a TV above our table to even realize our waving arms and calls out to him. The service didn't inherently detract from the quality of the food but it was certainly disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dcerDined on 4/23/2014Don't annoy me by forcing me to write a review. Is that 50 charactersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerBoDogDined on 4/22/2014We were in DC doing college visits, found Agora on open table. Had dinner on the patio, was very nice. Food was great, service attentive but not too much so. We shared 8 mezzo plates plus a couple desserts, I think sharing was the way to go, can try lots of different bites. Start with the Raki.Special Features:
- A great way to start a visitJeffortlessDined on 4/22/2014Haven't been to Washington in a few years but if there are more restaurants like Agora I won't wait so long. I enjoy Mediterranean food and know the difference between good and excellent. And the food was excellent; amazingly fresh and perfectly seasoned. The biggest problem we had was narrowing down the choices. We started with hummus and labneh and then the Spanish Hake and Branzino. We sat outside and enjoyed excellent service. Almost wanted to stay long enough to eat again. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Agora always fineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2014A good spot, glad it is part of our restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food!ceciDined on 4/20/2014the restaurant was ok, the food delicious, the service was not good. They took long to bring the food and could not come with a a glass of water in at least half and hour! Nevertheless the food is so good that I will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014This is the second time my mother and I have had Easter brunch at Agora, and it has been fantastic both times. The food is always delicious and so fresh, and the service is impeccable and courteous. When we walked in, they did let us know we had the table for 2 hours, but they did not push us out when the time came. The only thing I would mention is that it does get very loud and the tables could be separated a bit more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tapas style placeCBAGLEYDined on 4/19/2014had a great time sampling tapas-style meze cuisine w friends this weekend! Great menu to select from, and great cocktails, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mezze that make a great mealBellaItaliaDined on 4/19/2014We had a lovely meal at Agora. There is a terrific selection of small plates and we were not disappointed with any of them. A lovely part of the meal was the way the food arrived: In other places where mezze or tapas are served, often everything comes at once--or too quickly. Here the dishes were spaced out and seemed to arrive just at the right moment. The price was reasonable, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best cooking in the cityStevenDined on 4/17/2014I believe this is the best cooking in the city now. The dishes are fresh and light, not over-salted and heavy. The hummus is creamy and lemony--so perfect with the steam-filled pita. As a vegan, I find plenty of options too. Bravo!Special Features:
- Great food at great price!hanusa2VIPDined on 4/15/2014My group of six loved every bite of what we ordered for the $14.95 lunch special. The taster group of dips for the pita bread was so good I finally grabbed a spoon and finished it off. The entrees, whether meat, chicken or vegetarian, were outstanding. Salad tasty. We even each got a beautiful piece of baklava with the lunch. Agora is a choice we will make again--soon!Special Features:
- Great brunch deal!gloriousfoodDined on 4/13/2014I've been here before for dinner, and the cost for UNLIMITED brunch for 3 people was equivalent to the cost of dinner for 2. Everything served was delicious - the service was incredibly quick for a busy, beautiful Sunday afternoon. Our server was extremely attentive, and made sure our mimosas were always topped off (how many glasses I drank, I will never know). Definite brunch spot, can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Post-theater diningFormerFedVIPDined on 4/12/2014We dropped in after seeing "Hair" at the Keegan Theater on Church Street. Heading for the theater about 7 PM, we'd noticed Agora's outside seating was very crowded, but we were able to get a table for two outside when we arrived about 10:30 PM. We dawdled a bit, so had to be ushered inside to finish our after dinner drinks when midnight arrived. We each ordered a trio of dishes from various sections of the menu and liked everything we got. The small plates left room for very tasty desserts. I wish I'd noticed the retsina among the glasses of wine before I started with a zinfadel, since the turpentine-tasting Greek wine goes so well with homous. We will keep Agora in mind for future visits to the Keegan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pre-Keegan diningDarmadillaDined on 4/9/2014Our table of 4 selected 13 different small plates. We were pleased with them all. And don't skip the Greek desserts and coffee. Their menu also includes an interesting variety of alcoholic mixes. Although we felt the figs did not hold their own against the tequila, we still enjoyed this refreshing mix.Special Features:
- Good array of Mediterranean dishesRicoDined on 4/8/2014very tasty and varied turkish and greek small plates, every dish as interesting as the one before worth a visit interesting wine list with some different turkish and greek wines quiet enough to have a good conversation, which adds to pleasant atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Spot in DCflaflaflamingoDined on 4/6/2014I came here for a first date and fell in love...with the restaurant I mean. Best service I've had since I moved here. I love to hang out at the bar or get a table. Low key and very down to earth staff. Great wine list and the food is delicious. I love the scallops. Definitely a great spot for a girls night/date/happy hour. I always look forward to going to this place.Special Features:
- DisappointedLuvsfoodDined on 4/6/2014The food was tasty however we had to wait a very long time to get the next dish and the server gave our last dish to someone else by mistake and didn't catch it. Very noisy, difficult to have conversation.
- Best Turkish Food!!alummiteduDined on 4/2/2014Restaurant is on a lively street. We sat outdoors. The fried cheese (Hellim) and stuffed grape leaves (Dolmades) were amazing. We didn't love the tuna tartare as much. Overall, great spot, amazing service, and the food is THE BEST!Special Features:
- Entertaining Out of TownersJudyDined on 3/31/2014We have out of town friends who love Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food and can't find it where they live. (His family is Lebanese and food at their house is always fantastic!) They were anxious to try Agora when they were in town and agreed with us it that was among the best they've every had.Special Features:
- Bottomless Brunch!MyntmdDined on 3/30/2014I made a reservation online for a group of 5 for bottomless brunch. We ordered small plates off the menu several time (included in the price) and enjoyed frequent refills of our champagne, mimosas or bloody mary's (your choice) Service was good and the atmosphere was boisterous with multiple other large groups enjoying endless alcohol. Great that you can make reservations here - I'll take big groups here agian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High FlavorWhatstoeatDined on 3/28/2014The grilled half chicken was so good, even I ate it, and I don't even like chicken. Best Mediterranean I've had in a while. A real Gem of Dupont Circle! Scallops, apricot desert, ottoman rice, garlic sauce, even the pita was good, Yum! My only minus, the Taramasalata was a bit too fishy for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing - very disappointingLaughingTravellerVIPDined on 3/27/2014Seems like it wants to be a bar more than a restaurant Our server kept interrupting us- to see if we wanted to order more Food was mediocre - both a chicken dish and a scallop dish were overwhelmed by mustard And then the server disappeared when we needed / wanted the checkSpecial Features:
- Delicious and fun!AMD1Dined on 3/25/2014Delicious fun food without being pretentious! Very much enjoyed my dinner! Would go back and recommend to friends without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An interesting brunch experienceLennyVIPDined on 3/22/2014This is another Richard Sandoval experience. A cuisine that isn't served that many places and a chance to sample as many items on the menu as you choose for a set price. We tried many of the items on the menu and enjoyed most of them. Almost every items was delivered in a timely fashion although a couple items had to be reordered. Tough job for the wait staff and food runners, but overall, they did a very good job. All items were well prepared and tasty. Glad we went.Special Features:
- Always awesome!TabbyChefDined on 3/16/2014I love in the neighborhood and love recommending this place for brunch. $32 for limitless tapas and bottomless drinks is a bargain! And the food never disappoints. The chef is on point with his dishes. He desserts are awesome too.Special Features:
- Great Turkish food with patioMEDinerDined on 3/15/2014Agora has great Turkish small plates and a nice patio. Having been to Turkey recently, I was impressed with the authenticity of the food. They've even got Effes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerBetsyDined on 3/14/2014The food was delicious, the service was excellent, the atmosphere was attractive and relaxed. Overall an extremely positive dining experience. Would definitely recommend Agora. Thank you for a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small-plate diningGerhardDined on 3/12/2014If you like Mediterranean cuisine than this is a great place to sample a cross section of delightful small plates of Turkish and Greek flavor. Service is efficient, the food is very well prepared. No tourist crowds, mostly locals. Decor is minimal with mostly bare brick walls but the place is small enough so that one does not mistake it for an old factory. It is in fact quite cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turkish Food at a moderate price4201cathedralDined on 3/12/2014This was my fifth visit to Agora. Each time the food gets better. This time I was treating the daughter of an old friend and she loved it. She had been in the food business supporting herself while she was in college so she knows about good food and good service. This was outstanding. I recommended Agora to my best friend to celebrate his birthday next weekend but unfortunately, we will most likely be choosing another restaurant because of the corkage fee (it has to take place at 4:00 p.m.!) While he would have loved to have picked Agora, it just isn't feasible since he would have to pay over $70 for a corkage fee. He loved the menu and the website and will probably try it some other time in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, but...AmulDined on 3/8/2014The food was wonderful! The ambiance was spectacular as it seemed like a notable hotspot. However, they need to have a wider selection of wine by the glass. Might go back for restaurant week if they participate or during the World Cup festivities in Dupont Circle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing First ImpressionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2014I arrived early for my date and sat at the bar. Since I was planning to order a bottle of wine with dinner, which I did, I asked for a glass of water. The female bar tender's body language and facial expression conveyed she was upset I didn't order a drink while waiting to be seated at my table. I explained I had dinner reservations and was waiting for my date. She seemed to forget I asked for water and catered to the other bar patrons. The bar-back eventually gave me a glass of water. This was a disappointing first impression for Agora.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/5/2014Great food. There was so much I wanted to try, so I will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special ServiceAdmirerDined on 3/5/2014When traffic made us late for our reservation, the maitre d' ( I think) went out of his way to elp us order and be able to dine before our event . the restaurant was full , but the service could not have been better. We truly appreciated the entire staff's help. and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/2/2014My husband and I ordered an assortment of 7 hot and cold plates and rice pudding for dessert. Each plate was beautifully presented and uniquely delicious. The taste combinations were original and refreshing. The service was fine but the seating was a bit close. Great value. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Awesome Spot for Bottomless BrunchbruncherDined on 3/2/2014This place does a bottomless brunch really well. The portions are smaller than usual, which is perfect if you want to try a little bit of everything on the menu. The group I went with ordered a few things from each section and we worked our way through the whole menu. They refill your drinks constantly without even asking, which is amazing. All you have to do is blink your eye and it's refilled. Great atmosphere - really cozy and warm. Looks like it would be a great lunch/dinner spot too. Definitely worth a try!Special Features:
- Such a GemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/23/2014Had an amazing time at AGORA this past weekend for a friend's birthday. We ordered a handful of dishes - the kale, hummus, enginar (filled artichoke bottoms), falafel, salu kofte (lamb and beef meatballs), and the scallops - and all were amazing. They have a lot of gluten and dairy-free meals, and options for vegans (which one of us is). The pita bread was delicious (and bottomless!) and the food came in perfectly-timed rounds. Wine was great, and the ambiance was wonderful. Great exposed brick, good table spacing, and very cozy - love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.