West Bank Cafe
407 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
West Bank Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.westbankcafe.com/
- Phone: 2126956909x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday-Saturday: 11:30 AM-Midnight Sunday-Tuesday: 11:30 AM- 11 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Brassard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: West Bank Cafe can cater off-premise events ranging in size from 40 to 1,000. Our chef will design a menu tailored to your specific event, from passed hors d’oeuvres to formal sit-down meals, and the restaurant will supply everything from the linens and glassware to plates and staff.
- Private Party Facilities: The Laurie Beechman Theater and the restaurant’s dining room can accommodate private and semi-private groups ranging in size from 12 people for an intimate sit-down dinner to 245 for a cocktail party. The Laurie Beechman Theater is also ideal for business meetings and corporate presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Kenny Bell 2126956909x
- Entertainment: The Laurie Beechman Theatre, downstairs at West Bank Cafe, announces an exciting & eclectic line-up of performers & performances all of which take place in the gorgeous 80 seat theatre. Please visit BeechmanTheatre.com for full cabaret & theatre schedule.
- Special Events: For information concerning special events, contact our special events coordinator, Kenny Bell at BeechmanTheatre@westbankcafe.com
A word from West Bank Cafe
The West Bank Cafe has been serving exceptional American Fare to NYC theatre patrons as well as performers for over 30 years. Complementing the food is an award-winning California-focused wine list and a comfortable interior that includes the downstairs Laurie Beechman Theater, an 80-seat performance and private party space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
West Bank Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (120)great for lunch (73)great for brunch (54)fit for foodies (49)good for groups (37)late-night find (34)special occasion (27)romantic (19)vibrant bar scene (17)hot spot (13)notable wine list (12)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Service is friendly, menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2008Service is friendly, menu is varied, perfect for before-theater dinner.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed there theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/6/2008We really enjoyed there theater Pre Fixe dinner menu. Not a large selection, but was well presented and worth the price! Definitely was a good evening before the show!Special Features:
- I do not participate in theEllenBDined on 6/5/2008I do not participate in the "bar scene" but it appears to be vibrant. The food is excellent, I have never been disappointed. The portions have gotten smaller since I began going to West Bank many years ago, but the prices are also excellent, very reasonable. The service is also, always good. (Of course, I go early on weekday nights, before the theater).Special Features:
- very good for pre-theater.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/4/2008very good for pre-theater. in and out quickly and the food was very good.
- Food and service were excellent.PrincessVIPDined on 6/3/2008Food and service were excellent. (We had Jim as our server.) We recommend West BAnk Cafe for before theater dinner at a reasonable price and look forward to returning again soon.Special Features:
- Have eaten here MANY timesSusanVIPDined on 6/1/2008Have eaten here MANY times for brunch or lunch pre-theater and always been happy. Lemon Ricotta pancakes and their butterscotch parfait are favorites; salads and omelettes always reliable. SusanSpecial Features:
- Our reservation was for 6:15OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2008Our reservation was for 6:15 and we didn't sit down until 6:40. We had tickets to show at 8:00 so we didn't have time since we sat down so late to have a leisure meal and no time for apps or dessert. On the other hand the waitress was wonderful to make sure we got out on time. Food was delicious.
- It's always a lovely placeMGD18VIPDined on 5/27/2008It's always a lovely place to dine befor the theatre.The food is good and the service is very attentive. It's fairly quiet too perhaps because of the gray haired crowd who frequent it. We enjoy it.Special Features:
- My entire party thoroughlyVillageResidentVIPDined on 5/25/2008My entire party thoroughly enjoyed their delicious and nicely presented entrees and appetizer. The desserts were unique, better than the choices at most restaurants. The service was excellent and professional yet friendly; our food arrived promptly but we never felt rushed. We were very happy with our experience. The West Bank Cafe is in a excellent location for before or after theater meals.Special Features:
- I thought the food was good.TheatreFanVIPDined on 5/25/2008I thought the food was good. I would not rush back but would eat there again if in the neighborhood. The service was very good, efficient, a friendly staff. The ambiance was nice, it was a quiet day, may have had a different feel(warmer) on a busier day. Overall a nice experience. I would like to try the lunch menu.
- Always excellent food andOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/24/2008Always excellent food and service and personal attention. Memorable dining experience ata reasonable price.Special Features:
- This is a great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/24/2008This is a great restaurant! I've been going here for 30 years and it gets better and better. Don't miss the Mac & Cheese!Special Features:
- The West Bank Cafe is my neighborhoOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/23/2008The West Bank Cafe is my neighborhood favorite. In fact, I'd have to say it's one of my favorite restaurants in New York City.Special Features:
- We had a dinner reservationboboDined on 5/22/2008We had a dinner reservation for four for 6 PM and, of course, got caught in traffic all the way in from Long Island. We called the restaurant 2X while we sat in our car and they were most accommodating. We thought that we would never make an 8PM curtain, but West Bank Cafe greeted us at 6:30 and assured us that we would be able to enjoy our meal. We certainly did! We didn't feel hurried and we even had time for dessert! They were most obliging.Special Features:
- One of the best options inMargieBVIPDined on 5/21/2008One of the best options in the Theater District and particularly for Theater Row. The food is reliably good. Advance reservations are recommended as this place books up ahead of time.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable. The restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/18/2008Very enjoyable. The restaurant was lovely,service great and dinner delicious.Special Features:
- Very nice. Seated us early.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2008Very nice. Seated us early. Rather noisy, difficult to talk. Friend thought it might be an Israeli restaurant because of name -- consider changing to West___ Cafe?Special Features:
- a bit of "white tablecloth"spanzersVIPDined on 5/17/2008a bit of "white tablecloth" ambience. Nice but wouldn't run back.
- This is one of the few veryOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/16/2008This is one of the few very good restaurants in the theater district. The food and service are way above average.Special Features:
- Pre theatre older crowd wasSylviaDined on 5/14/2008Pre theatre older crowd was perfect for my in-laws and menu had many items that everyone could enjoy. Service was very good. Too noisySpecial Features:
- Always a pleasurable experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/14/2008Always a pleasurable experience. Excellent wait staff.Special Features:
- My only negative was a limitedMartyWDined on 5/14/2008My only negative was a limited and unchanging menu. Service was excellent to get us out for show time.Special Features:
- The roast chicken is alwaysemacDined on 5/13/2008The roast chicken is always some of the best to be found in NYC. Pleasant service, fairly easy-going feel, despite the pre-theater rush. But I guess they know what they're doing as far as that goes. A great place, if somewhat pricey.Special Features:
- I was there on a businessOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/13/2008I was there on a business lunch with 5 other colleagues. We were there at on off time (1.30-3.30) so it was quiet as the lunch crowd was gone...therefore, hard to tell how truly lively or quiet it is during peak times. Everyone enjoyed their meal and the location was very convenient...being on 9th Ave it was close to the office with out the "tourists" of Times Square. I would go back again for lunch or pre-theater.Special Features:
- We had a very negative experienceBorisVIPDined on 5/10/2008We had a very negative experience at West Bank. We had a 6:15 reservation and arrived early. We were seated shortly after 6:15 and had ordered by 6:35. However, our entrees were not brought out to the table until 7:30. We had an 8:00 curtain on 47th street and one of our party is in her 70s and can't speedwalk to the theater. We began pressing our waiter about this around 7:15 but were told that it was a busy night and that the food would be out shortly. One of our party ordered the prix fixe, having the caesar salad, salmon and cheesecake. The waiter charged the items separately, adding approximately $7.50 to the bill but we didn't have time to get him to come back to the table and fix it.
- Excellent experience, bestsfsmithVIPDined on 5/9/2008Excellent experience, best pre theater dining we have had in NYC.Special Features:
- Extremely accommodating forOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/8/2008Extremely accommodating for pre-theatre dinner. Asked us to move tables and gave us a free dessert to compensate. Very friendly staff and delicious food!Special Features:
- We enjoyed the meal (dinner).OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/4/2008We enjoyed the meal (dinner). The food was good and well presented. Room noise level was higher than we would have liked, but not extremely so. We enjoy wine, but are not conoisseurs, and would have appreciated more choices at the lower price levels.
- I think you need a new category.PeterpanDined on 5/4/2008I think you need a new category. How about good value? West Bank Cafe was very well run, serving above par food in pleasant surroundings with an attentive wait staff. Really enjoyable.Special Features:
- A nice way to start a dayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/4/2008A nice way to start a day at the theater. The complimentary smoothie samples were a nice touch. The entrees were well-proportioned. The brunch menu offered classic items and some more modern dishes. Plan to return to try the dinner menu.Special Features:
- wait staff was fun and knowledgableKerriVIPDined on 5/2/2008wait staff was fun and knowledgable about each dish. pork chops were great and calamari was very good. husband had the steak which was very nice. staff was awesome. good wine too.Special Features:
- West Bank Cafe is a nice getawayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/1/2008West Bank Cafe is a nice getaway from a hectic day. It has a very comfortable atmosphere. You are never rushed and the wait staff is always friendly and efficient. The food and wines are exceptional.Special Features:
- Great for post-show dining.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/30/2008Great for post-show dining. It's close to (but just far enough away) from Times Square so it has an awesome theatrical yet posh atmosphere both in servers/bartenders and clientele.Special Features:
- Food and Service consistentangelDined on 4/30/2008Food and Service consistent good. Never disappointed.Special Features:
- The food was kind of burntOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/27/2008The food was kind of burnt on the edges & the server wasn't as prompt as i would have liked.Special Features:
- I've walked by it over 100OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/27/2008I've walked by it over 100 times and never thought to stop. The food was excellent and they were very accomodating. They did not rush us. We got there early and they took us. In addition they let us stay for a while. The choices were numerous, there is something for everyone and every taste. Everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Good find for good reasonableBobLVIPDined on 4/25/2008Good find for good reasonable dining in the theatre districtSpecial Features:
- A solid pre or post-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/24/2008A solid pre or post-theatre choice (nice Sunday brunch, too). Good selection of wines by the glass. Very reasonably priced for the overall quality of the restaurant. We have eaten here several times and never been disappointed by either the cuisine or the service. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- I have eaten here 3 timesglad2eatoutVIPDined on 4/23/2008I have eaten here 3 times and have been very satisfied each time. Great before or after theatre. Have recommended to friends and they have agreed it is a great spot before or after theatre (lunch or dinner). Easy to talk at table.Special Features:
- I have walked past this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/20/2008I have walked past this restaurant many times on my way to the theater but have never eaten there. It is lovely. The ambience was great, service wonderful and food delicious. I will recommend it to my friends and will go again! Stephanie FiskSpecial Features: