West Bank Cafe
407 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
West Bank Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.westbankcafe.com/
- Phone: 2126956909x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday-Saturday: 11:30 AM-Midnight Sunday-Tuesday: 11:30 AM- 11 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Brassard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: West Bank Cafe can cater off-premise events ranging in size from 40 to 1,000. Our chef will design a menu tailored to your specific event, from passed hors d’oeuvres to formal sit-down meals, and the restaurant will supply everything from the linens and glassware to plates and staff.
- Private Party Facilities: The Laurie Beechman Theater and the restaurant’s dining room can accommodate private and semi-private groups ranging in size from 12 people for an intimate sit-down dinner to 245 for a cocktail party. The Laurie Beechman Theater is also ideal for business meetings and corporate presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Kenny Bell 2126956909x
- Entertainment: The Laurie Beechman Theatre, downstairs at West Bank Cafe, announces an exciting & eclectic line-up of performers & performances all of which take place in the gorgeous 80 seat theatre. Please visit BeechmanTheatre.com for full cabaret & theatre schedule.
- Special Events: For information concerning special events, contact our special events coordinator, Kenny Bell at BeechmanTheatre@westbankcafe.com
A word from West Bank Cafe
The West Bank Cafe has been serving exceptional American Fare to NYC theatre patrons as well as performers for over 30 years. Complementing the food is an award-winning California-focused wine list and a comfortable interior that includes the downstairs Laurie Beechman Theater, an 80-seat performance and private party space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
West Bank Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (122)great for lunch (74)great for brunch (55)fit for foodies (50)good for groups (40)late-night find (35)special occasion (27)romantic (19)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (15)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- West End CafeCarolDined on 6/20/2014West End Cafe is always our go to place for special occasions or when friends come from out of town. The food is always good and the service impeccable.Special Features:
- Perfect for pre-theaterOptions4usDined on 6/18/2014Refreshingly cool on a hot day. Good salads for lunch. Reasonably priced. Excellent service. Easy walk to theater. Will definitely choose it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bartenderReldasDined on 6/16/2014We sat at the bar for drinks and dinner. Enjoyed the bartender. Had a celebrity sighting and great food near the theaters. Loved it!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/12/2014Good for pre-theater for Theatre Row and Playwirights Horizons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WBC Worked!m2hhkDined on 6/11/2014Pre theatre needed a restaurant. Chose WBC for location and from reviews. Food was terrific. Menu diverse enough for all to find something from Pasta to steak to burgers or chicken. Bar looked like a friendly scene. We were seated immeidately (5:40 for a 6pm reservation). Two of us seated at a 4 table, so no cramping. Restaurant was half full and everyone looked relaxed and happy. Shared a caesar salad and an order of risotto balls. Very tasy in their dipping sause. Date had rigatoni with bolognese while I had free range chicken. Pasta was firm, bolognese tasty and chicken moist and delicious. Service was impeccable. Would definitely visit again. MMSpecial Features:
- bbannDined on 6/11/2014West Bank is one of my go to restaurant when I go to NYC food is always good and the service can' be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Bank is always a great placephilleenieDined on 6/8/2014to go for brunch, lunch, dinner, late night suppers after the theatre. My favorite brunch entree is their lemon ricotta pancakes, which are light and delicious. Usually I do not eat pancakes at all but I make an exception for these. I have been going to this restaurant for years and it never fails to impress me with its quality of food and the friendliness of its staff. Once in a while you may also find a celebrity dining beside you at this fabulous restaurant.Special Features:
- Good pre-theatrejacreme3828Dined on 6/7/2014Took my teenage grand-daughter here, pre theatre. Our server was polite and attentive, the food was very good. Even though we were seated in this alcove, the noise level ratcheted up as the meal went on. Despite that, I would be happy to eat there again.Special Features:
- Food was just fairMactor17VIPDined on 6/7/2014I was excited to try this place because I heard how good the food was. I was not pleased with my burger. It was very dry. For the price, I would have wanted more taste.
- rajdVIPDined on 6/6/2014Always a good theater district choice for decent, standard fare, and a relative quiet ambiance where you can actually have a pre or post-theater conversation. Service is typically friendly and efficient, except for the hostess who was not at the entrance greeting arrivals (it was only 9 p.m. on a Friday), but instead sitting at a nearby table having dinner. She seemed annoyed that she had to get up to seat us, not exactly the warmest of welcomes but it didn't spoil an otherwise enjoyable evening.
- DisappointedMartine93Dined on 6/3/2014We´ve been here 2 times before, and loved it. Now that we took our family with us for a goodbye dinner (we´re from Norway) the service and food was poor. First, we ordered the steak as usual that used to be tender with lots of good sauce, french fries and some other goodies on the side. The steak was supposed to be medium well, What we got was a over- cooked black steak, you almost couldn't see it was brown. There was these sloppy french fries on the side, and the dish just looked miserable. The waiter didn't even bother to ask us how the food tastes, I would of been embarrassed too if I worked there and served such terrible food. Such a shame, the other 2 times the food was so good. Was told it was a new chef.Special Features:
- The following 1783 reviews are from the West Bank Cafe reviews archive.
- A must!MarshaBDined on 5/31/2014Have been here many times before going to the theatre and I'm always glad I that I do. The food is consistently good and the waiters/waitresses always very pleasant. Convenient to theatres and parking garages/lots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisedCather123VIPDined on 5/27/2014Pre-theater place so we weren't expecting much. The food was great. Soup of the day was asparagus and obviously fresh. Chicken was simple and memorable. Very fresh bird.perfectly prepared with a crispy skin and juicy meat Just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasantly surprisedCTdiner51Dined on 5/25/2014booked a few days before a visit to NYC with my family to celebrate a birthday. initially wanted something closer to the theater district but everything was booked for Sunday brunch. when the West Bank Cafe was available, I wondered why it wasn't booked as well. we were all very pleasantly surprised with this choice. Food was very good, many choices offered. Especially liked the one price for all you can drink brunch cocktails. Service was prompt and courteous. we never felt rushed and the venue was clean. Price was very reasonable.....we would definitely go there again as well as recommend the West Bank Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just rightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014great service and a super wait staff...we had some unusual requests that were greeted with a smile and "no Problem"..sat by the window and watched the world go by.....a special place in a big city..felt at home immediately.... chatted with the folks sitting next to us..the prices were great, definitely make this a find...loved our waiter....humor was certainly on the menu..will be back and recommend to othersSpecial Features:
- perfect theatre dinnernancyDined on 5/22/2014The food here is so much better than the cluster of theatre restaurants-- worth going a block further. Always high quality, seasonal and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistenly good & reasonably priceRayUWSVIPDined on 5/22/2014The West Bank has been in business for over 30 years - need I say more? Steve Olsen, the owner, is gracious and makes everyone feel at home. Traditionally I go there for dinner but I had a client whose office is in the area, so we had lunch at the West Bank. Their $20 prix-fixe for 3 courses is a deal!Special Features:
- Yummy Steak SaladNJFoodieDined on 5/21/2014Steak salad was delicious and just the right amount of food for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for before theaterReenaVIPDined on 5/21/2014Salads were good and the service, as usual was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestproducer1122Dined on 5/20/2014Long time fan. When in the neighborhood I always goSpecial Features:
- BrunchMaryDined on 5/18/2014I wasn't wild about the Sunday brunch menu but I have thoroughly enjoyed my lunches and dinners there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After Theater FindC4times3VIPDined on 5/17/2014Great find on west 42nd street. Bustling, lively après theater ambience with perfect food choicesSpecial Features:
- My Favorite NYC resturantTerryBDined on 5/11/2014I have been going to the west bank for 13years, it is an absolute gem. Consistently delious food every time. Very reasonable pricing for the city. I always look for the great non tourist traps......And the West bank is just that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BrunchCathyDined on 5/11/2014The West Bank Cafe is a 42nd street jewel, located on 9th avenue tucked quietly away. I've only gone for 3 times for brunch and all three times it was wonderful. On my lastest visit, Mothers day, I brought along two friends from Atlanta Georgia who were blown away at how great the menu was & how friendly, professional and accomodating waiter was. We all enjoyed our entre & all opted for the refillable cocktail, where we were able to not only imbibe but change up cocktails during our time there. We ended our brunch by sharing a vanilla bean creme bulee and the frozen lemon mouse yum yum yum. West Bank Cafe I'd recommend for any occasion, romantic, family, just because..... great value too !Special Features:
- Great place!sshoffDined on 5/10/2014This place is always an affordable yet classy un-touristy favorite of mine when taking out of towners to see a show! The service and food is great. I only wish the Saturday lunch menu had a little more to offer with brunch, the sunday menu is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater lunch placeoftenoutVIPDined on 5/10/2014We needed a place for lunch that would be nice for conversation, had a varied menu, and near the theater. My daughter is gluten free and we didn't want to have a far walk to theater for my 93 year old Mom. I arrived early and they seated me immediately not requiring that the entire party was there...that was so nice. The waiter was attentive and delightful. Our dishes were tasty, met all our needs, and presented nicely. Great burger and salads. We were served promptly to help us make the theater, but had extra time, so we lingered over coffee and never felt pushed to leave for the next wave of customers. A little noisy with a large group next to us, but the tables are spaced nicely so you could still converse well. A win win!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningMichekeVIPDined on 5/7/2014Food was good, inc ambiance.soso, service superb. Good pre theatre venue...Special Features:
- Always reliableDoreenVIPDined on 5/7/2014I've eaten at West Bank Cafe many times and I've never been disappointed. The staff is courteous and friendly. The food is well-prepared and the variety offered can accomodate even the fussiest of diners. I strongly recommend this restaurant for large groups and for couples.Special Features:
- No substitionsJordana24Dined on 5/7/2014We were 7 ladies and we were all very happy with our lunch choices except for two things. My lunch came with blue cheese which I detest and I was told that the chef does not allow substitutions. I love goat cheese and I could not even get a side order of that. They had a wonderful special lunch and when four of our party wanted to order it at 12:30 we were told that there were only two orders left. They also did not erase it from the board. We were very surprised at that. It was not a hard dish to make. With all this we would still go back...We have frequented this restaurant and will still go back. Next time I will talk to a manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...Rose08Dined on 5/7/2014When we arrived for our reservation the restaurant was empty, and we were seated in the way back of the restaurant. Our server ignored us for most of the meal. He was abrupt and totally uninterested in taking our order. Our meal was actually good, but the service was poor. Highly recommend offering pre-fixe for Wednesday lunch to accommodate theater goers. There's no other reason to eat at this restaurant.
- Consistently goodPhilDined on 5/6/2014One can always count on good food and service at West Bank Cafe. We eat there when going to the American Airlines theater and find it a very reliable choice.Special Features:
- Great for brunchSopranojoyDined on 5/4/2014Pork belly Benedict on a buttermilk biscuit and bottomless bellinis. What could be better?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Good cocktails, Fun6mcw0VIPDined on 5/2/2014The food is good -- try the pork chops, they're fantastic. Nice cocktails list and good wine list. You'll find something you'll enjoy before, during, and after your meal. From couples sharing a good meal to groups of friends dining before the theater, the atmosphere is friendly, fun, vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pre-TheaterLarryDined on 4/26/2014There is a reason why this place has been around for so long...good food, good drink,good pre-theater. They keep it simple so that you never feel rushed but the curtain is always made.Special Features:
- WEST BANK NYCVictoria813VIPDined on 4/26/2014WBC has been a fav for 13 years when we first discovered for pre-theatre dinner! Hostess, wait staff and bar tenders all provide excellent service! Merci beaucoup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After Theater GemdianefeVIPDined on 4/25/2014Great place to eat after attending shows at the theaters on 42nd St.Special Features:
- Theatre DistrictDaiseyDined on 4/25/2014Nice little restaurant tucked away in the theatre district. We had a group of 5 at a round table that worked out perfectly for group conversation. The restaurant has a theatre downstairs and offers full kitchen.Special Features:
- Vegetarian? Wrong place.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/24/2014A vegetarian member of our party ended up having to order plain pasta as the only option was artichoke risotto and they wouldn't add veggies or garlic & oil. My kale and octopus salad was adequate but uninspired. Another friend had pasta carbonara which was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DO right when it goes wrongBDWhiteDined on 4/23/2014I have been to West Bank many times. This time there was some issue with getting our meals out on time to make our curtain at 8pm. The wait staff and manager were very apologetic, and they did get us our meal in time to eat. They felt bad Enough that they comped our calamari app. This is why we will come back. They do you right when things go wrong.Special Features:
- JerseyGirlDined on 4/23/2014Great choice for a theatre eatry. Interesting and diverse menu as well as prompt and courteous service. The food was wonderfully prepared and presented...loved the kale and octopus salad and the lemon mouse dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.