West Bank Cafe
407 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
West Bank Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.westbankcafe.com/
- Phone: 2126956909x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday-Saturday: 11:30 AM-Midnight Sunday-Tuesday: 11:30 AM- 11 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: West Bank Cafe can cater off-premise events ranging in size from 40 to 1,000. Our chef will design a menu tailored to your specific event, from passed hors d’oeuvres to formal sit-down meals, and the restaurant will supply everything from the linens and glassware to plates and staff.
- Private Party Facilities: The Laurie Beechman Theater and the restaurant’s dining room can accommodate private and semi-private groups ranging in size from 12 people for an intimate sit-down dinner to 245 for a cocktail party. The Laurie Beechman Theater is also ideal for business meetings and corporate presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Kenny Bell 2126956909x
- Entertainment: The Laurie Beechman Theatre, downstairs at West Bank Cafe, announces an exciting & eclectic line-up of performers & performances all of which take place in the gorgeous 80 seat theatre. Please visit BeechmanTheatre.com for full cabaret & theatre schedule.
- Special Events: For information concerning special events, contact our special events coordinator, Kenny Bell at BeechmanTheatre@westbankcafe.com
A word from West Bank Cafe
The West Bank Cafe has been serving exceptional American Fare and an award winning wine list to our neighbors and NYC visitors for over 35 years. The sophisticated, yet relaxed ambiance is enhanced by our special connection to New York's theater community, making it the perfect destination for a before or after-show meal. Our comfortable interior includes the Laurie Beechman Theatre, a 100-seat performance and private party space underneath the restaurant. We hope to see you soon!.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
West Bank Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
213 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (128)great for lunch (70)fit for foodies (53)great for brunch (52)good for groups (41)late-night find (35)special occasion (26)vibrant bar scene (25)romantic (17)hot spot (17)notable wine list (14)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great dinner spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014Friends and I attended a show and needed a place to grab dinner beforehand. We came across this restaurant online, and the reviews were very good. I am happy to say that the reviews didn't do the place justice. Everything was great. We shared a bottle of lovely wine (which our server helped us choose) and the salmon tar tare, which had great flavor. I had the black linguini and enjoyed it very much. Everything was great and I would recommend West Bank Cafe to anyone looking to have dinner in that part of Manhattan. Cheers!Special Features:
- Great foodLoveFoodDined on 7/12/2014We came on a Saturday for lunch before catching a show. This restaurant has a gluten-free menu (with many choices!!), which was a big plus for the 3 out of 5 of us with gluten allergy. Food took just the right amount of time to arrive and was excellent. Risotto was fabulous, Steak was perfectly medium-rare. Highly recommend. It was 80% full on a Saturday afternoon, I'd imagine one would need to make dinner reservations to avoid a wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/11/2014Very nice for after theatre, decent food, good wine list, excellent service, a little noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is always very gooddedeDined on 7/11/2014limited menu and a bit pricy we shared one dinner and one a la carte and had a gift certificate for $20 and each had a drink and the bill for each was under $50 without the gift certificate it would have been over $50 ea. This is ok for an occassional pre theater but not routinely
- Theater FoodiePerfectItalianDined on 7/10/2014West Bank Cafe was wonderful. I go to theater frequently and I'm always looking for a great place to eat beforehand. This was my first time at West Bank and was not disappointed. The staff was friendly and attentive, the food was wonderful and the ambiance was great. I would definitely recommend this place!Special Features:
- A terrific restaurantTaffy26Dined on 7/9/2014A longtime favorite! Magnificent food, reasonable prices and friendly super-competent staff. Close to theatre district and easy exit to Lincoln Tunnel for out-of-towners. Who could ask for anything more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableRayUWSVIPDined on 7/6/2014I've been going to the West Bank for years and this was the first time the service was just ok - the server lost track of time as well as obviously didn't remember that 2 of us had ordered the Prix Fixe menu, as at the end of the meal he asked if anyone wanted dessert (and he had already taken the dessert order for us 2). Despite the one occurance, I will definitely return to the West Bank for lunch, dinner, drinks, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent First ExperienceNEC1Dined on 6/28/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our pre theater dinner. We had the Kale & Octopus salad & beet salad for starters followed by the crab cake & trout. The crab cake was loaded with chunky pieces of crab & no noticeable filler. The trout was prepared simply & cooked to perfection with a flavorful sauce. We will definitely return to West Bank Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good job WBCafeJeanfromalexandriaDined on 6/28/2014We took the bus to NYC to see a show and have dinner. We were seated promptly when we arrived for our 5:30 pm rsvp. The restaurant was buzzing already, and a table with a large group made it a little difficult to hear each other. We had prompt service and a very good dinner. The kale and octopus salad was my favorite. Everything went smoothly and we made it to theater in time. Good job WBCafe.
- A Pleasant Dining ExperienceFloraNJDined on 6/28/2014This was my second time at West Bank Cafe. The last time I was there was probably a year or more. The menu was the same. There were few specials. I special for the appetizer and two for entrees. The food was good. Service was good...maybe we felt a bit rushed. Nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater choiceStafVIPDined on 6/27/2014We come here all the time when we are going to the theater in the 40's. The food and service are great, friendly, and accomodating and we always get out on time for our show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- timely, tastyCC72VIPDined on 6/26/2014West Bank staff is consistently very attentive to diners' timetables.....getting us our food and checks promptly so we can get to the theater in time the curtain. And the food is very tasty!Special Features:
- A long-running culinary star showAndyjoDined on 6/25/2014West Bank Cafe's owner Steve was there the other night when we had dinner, and he was working just as hard as his friendly and efficient staff -- bussing tables, greeting guests, bringing drinks -- for he knows that many folks are heading to the theatre. I think he said this was the restaurant's 36th year -- or close to it. The reason it has endured is that the food is excellent, well priced, and the service is very very good. Thank goodness for long-running traditions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1796 reviews are from the West Bank Cafe reviews archive.
- Good old reliableAmieVIPDined on 6/24/2014We give West Bank high marks every time we go there, which is frequently. As long-time theatre goers, we love having West Bank Cafe nearby for our after the show dinners.Special Features:
- great dinner before a showbreadfish82Dined on 6/20/2014we were catching Aladdin with 1 child and 4 adults, and we needed to eat dinner before. tripadvisor gave me the heads up on this great spot 2 long blocks from theater central.very good food, fast and attentive service, good wine list, nice cocktails, fresh salad (key from a californian) and something for everyone - picky eaters, vegetarians, kids, and foodies.Special Features:
- West End CafeCarolDined on 6/20/2014West End Cafe is always our go to place for special occasions or when friends come from out of town. The food is always good and the service impeccable.Special Features:
- Perfect for pre-theaterOptions4usDined on 6/18/2014Refreshingly cool on a hot day. Good salads for lunch. Reasonably priced. Excellent service. Easy walk to theater. Will definitely choose it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bartenderReldasDined on 6/16/2014We sat at the bar for drinks and dinner. Enjoyed the bartender. Had a celebrity sighting and great food near the theaters. Loved it!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/12/2014Good for pre-theater for Theatre Row and Playwirights Horizons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WBC Worked!m2hhkDined on 6/11/2014Pre theatre needed a restaurant. Chose WBC for location and from reviews. Food was terrific. Menu diverse enough for all to find something from Pasta to steak to burgers or chicken. Bar looked like a friendly scene. We were seated immeidately (5:40 for a 6pm reservation). Two of us seated at a 4 table, so no cramping. Restaurant was half full and everyone looked relaxed and happy. Shared a caesar salad and an order of risotto balls. Very tasy in their dipping sause. Date had rigatoni with bolognese while I had free range chicken. Pasta was firm, bolognese tasty and chicken moist and delicious. Service was impeccable. Would definitely visit again. MMSpecial Features:
- bbannDined on 6/11/2014West Bank is one of my go to restaurant when I go to NYC food is always good and the service can' be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Bank is always a great placephilleenieDined on 6/8/2014to go for brunch, lunch, dinner, late night suppers after the theatre. My favorite brunch entree is their lemon ricotta pancakes, which are light and delicious. Usually I do not eat pancakes at all but I make an exception for these. I have been going to this restaurant for years and it never fails to impress me with its quality of food and the friendliness of its staff. Once in a while you may also find a celebrity dining beside you at this fabulous restaurant.Special Features:
- Good pre-theatrejacreme3828Dined on 6/7/2014Took my teenage grand-daughter here, pre theatre. Our server was polite and attentive, the food was very good. Even though we were seated in this alcove, the noise level ratcheted up as the meal went on. Despite that, I would be happy to eat there again.Special Features:
- Food was just fairMactor17VIPDined on 6/7/2014I was excited to try this place because I heard how good the food was. I was not pleased with my burger. It was very dry. For the price, I would have wanted more taste.
- rajdVIPDined on 6/6/2014Always a good theater district choice for decent, standard fare, and a relative quiet ambiance where you can actually have a pre or post-theater conversation. Service is typically friendly and efficient, except for the hostess who was not at the entrance greeting arrivals (it was only 9 p.m. on a Friday), but instead sitting at a nearby table having dinner. She seemed annoyed that she had to get up to seat us, not exactly the warmest of welcomes but it didn't spoil an otherwise enjoyable evening.
- DisappointedMartine93Dined on 6/3/2014We´ve been here 2 times before, and loved it. Now that we took our family with us for a goodbye dinner (we´re from Norway) the service and food was poor. First, we ordered the steak as usual that used to be tender with lots of good sauce, french fries and some other goodies on the side. The steak was supposed to be medium well, What we got was a over- cooked black steak, you almost couldn't see it was brown. There was these sloppy french fries on the side, and the dish just looked miserable. The waiter didn't even bother to ask us how the food tastes, I would of been embarrassed too if I worked there and served such terrible food. Such a shame, the other 2 times the food was so good. Was told it was a new chef.Special Features:
- A must!MarshaBDined on 5/31/2014Have been here many times before going to the theatre and I'm always glad I that I do. The food is consistently good and the waiters/waitresses always very pleasant. Convenient to theatres and parking garages/lots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisedCather123VIPDined on 5/27/2014Pre-theater place so we weren't expecting much. The food was great. Soup of the day was asparagus and obviously fresh. Chicken was simple and memorable. Very fresh bird.perfectly prepared with a crispy skin and juicy meat Just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasantly surprisedCTdiner51Dined on 5/25/2014booked a few days before a visit to NYC with my family to celebrate a birthday. initially wanted something closer to the theater district but everything was booked for Sunday brunch. when the West Bank Cafe was available, I wondered why it wasn't booked as well. we were all very pleasantly surprised with this choice. Food was very good, many choices offered. Especially liked the one price for all you can drink brunch cocktails. Service was prompt and courteous. we never felt rushed and the venue was clean. Price was very reasonable.....we would definitely go there again as well as recommend the West Bank Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just rightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014great service and a super wait staff...we had some unusual requests that were greeted with a smile and "no Problem"..sat by the window and watched the world go by.....a special place in a big city..felt at home immediately.... chatted with the folks sitting next to us..the prices were great, definitely make this a find...loved our waiter....humor was certainly on the menu..will be back and recommend to othersSpecial Features:
- perfect theatre dinnernancyDined on 5/22/2014The food here is so much better than the cluster of theatre restaurants-- worth going a block further. Always high quality, seasonal and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistenly good & reasonably priceRayUWSVIPDined on 5/22/2014The West Bank has been in business for over 30 years - need I say more? Steve Olsen, the owner, is gracious and makes everyone feel at home. Traditionally I go there for dinner but I had a client whose office is in the area, so we had lunch at the West Bank. Their $20 prix-fixe for 3 courses is a deal!Special Features:
- Yummy Steak SaladNJFoodieDined on 5/21/2014Steak salad was delicious and just the right amount of food for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for before theaterReenaVIPDined on 5/21/2014Salads were good and the service, as usual was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestproducer1122Dined on 5/20/2014Long time fan. When in the neighborhood I always goSpecial Features:
- BrunchMaryDined on 5/18/2014I wasn't wild about the Sunday brunch menu but I have thoroughly enjoyed my lunches and dinners there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After Theater FindC4times3VIPDined on 5/17/2014Great find on west 42nd street. Bustling, lively après theater ambience with perfect food choicesSpecial Features:
- My Favorite NYC resturantTerryBDined on 5/11/2014I have been going to the west bank for 13years, it is an absolute gem. Consistently delious food every time. Very reasonable pricing for the city. I always look for the great non tourist traps......And the West bank is just that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BrunchCathyDined on 5/11/2014The West Bank Cafe is a 42nd street jewel, located on 9th avenue tucked quietly away. I've only gone for 3 times for brunch and all three times it was wonderful. On my lastest visit, Mothers day, I brought along two friends from Atlanta Georgia who were blown away at how great the menu was & how friendly, professional and accomodating waiter was. We all enjoyed our entre & all opted for the refillable cocktail, where we were able to not only imbibe but change up cocktails during our time there. We ended our brunch by sharing a vanilla bean creme bulee and the frozen lemon mouse yum yum yum. West Bank Cafe I'd recommend for any occasion, romantic, family, just because..... great value too !Special Features:
- Great place!sshoffDined on 5/10/2014This place is always an affordable yet classy un-touristy favorite of mine when taking out of towners to see a show! The service and food is great. I only wish the Saturday lunch menu had a little more to offer with brunch, the sunday menu is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.