West Bank Cafe
407 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
West Bank Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.westbankcafe.com/
- Phone: 2126956909x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday-Saturday: 11:30 AM-Midnight Sunday-Tuesday: 11:30 AM- 11 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Brassard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: West Bank Cafe can cater off-premise events ranging in size from 40 to 1,000. Our chef will design a menu tailored to your specific event, from passed hors d’oeuvres to formal sit-down meals, and the restaurant will supply everything from the linens and glassware to plates and staff.
- Private Party Facilities: The Laurie Beechman Theater and the restaurant’s dining room can accommodate private and semi-private groups ranging in size from 12 people for an intimate sit-down dinner to 245 for a cocktail party. The Laurie Beechman Theater is also ideal for business meetings and corporate presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Kenny Bell 2126956909x
- Entertainment: The Laurie Beechman Theatre, downstairs at West Bank Cafe, announces an exciting & eclectic line-up of performers & performances all of which take place in the gorgeous 80 seat theatre. Please visit BeechmanTheatre.com for full cabaret & theatre schedule.
- Special Events: For information concerning special events, contact our special events coordinator, Kenny Bell at BeechmanTheatre@westbankcafe.com
A word from West Bank Cafe
The West Bank Cafe has been serving exceptional American Fare to NYC theatre patrons as well as performers for over 30 years. Complementing the food is an award-winning California-focused wine list and a comfortable interior that includes the downstairs Laurie Beechman Theater, an 80-seat performance and private party space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
West Bank Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (121)great for lunch (76)great for brunch (53)fit for foodies (45)good for groups (35)late-night find (35)special occasion (27)romantic (17)vibrant bar scene (16)notable wine list (13)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- pleasantly surprisedCTdiner51Dined on 5/25/2014booked a few days before a visit to NYC with my family to celebrate a birthday. initially wanted something closer to the theater district but everything was booked for Sunday brunch. when the West Bank Cafe was available, I wondered why it wasn't booked as well. we were all very pleasantly surprised with this choice. Food was very good, many choices offered. Especially liked the one price for all you can drink brunch cocktails. Service was prompt and courteous. we never felt rushed and the venue was clean. Price was very reasonable.....we would definitely go there again as well as recommend the West Bank Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just rightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014great service and a super wait staff...we had some unusual requests that were greeted with a smile and "no Problem"..sat by the window and watched the world go by.....a special place in a big city..felt at home immediately.... chatted with the folks sitting next to us..the prices were great, definitely make this a find...loved our waiter....humor was certainly on the menu..will be back and recommend to othersSpecial Features:
- perfect theatre dinnernancyDined on 5/22/2014The food here is so much better than the cluster of theatre restaurants-- worth going a block further. Always high quality, seasonal and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistenly good & reasonably priceRayUWSVIPDined on 5/22/2014The West Bank has been in business for over 30 years - need I say more? Steve Olsen, the owner, is gracious and makes everyone feel at home. Traditionally I go there for dinner but I had a client whose office is in the area, so we had lunch at the West Bank. Their $20 prix-fixe for 3 courses is a deal!Special Features:
- Yummy Steak SaladNJFoodieDined on 5/21/2014Steak salad was delicious and just the right amount of food for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for before theaterReenaVIPDined on 5/21/2014Salads were good and the service, as usual was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1775 reviews are from the West Bank Cafe reviews archive.
- The bestproducer1122Dined on 5/20/2014Long time fan. When in the neighborhood I always goSpecial Features:
- BrunchMaryDined on 5/18/2014I wasn't wild about the Sunday brunch menu but I have thoroughly enjoyed my lunches and dinners there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After Theater FindC4times3VIPDined on 5/17/2014Great find on west 42nd street. Bustling, lively après theater ambience with perfect food choicesSpecial Features:
- My Favorite NYC resturantTerryBDined on 5/11/2014I have been going to the west bank for 13years, it is an absolute gem. Consistently delious food every time. Very reasonable pricing for the city. I always look for the great non tourist traps......And the West bank is just that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BrunchCathyDined on 5/11/2014The West Bank Cafe is a 42nd street jewel, located on 9th avenue tucked quietly away. I've only gone for 3 times for brunch and all three times it was wonderful. On my lastest visit, Mothers day, I brought along two friends from Atlanta Georgia who were blown away at how great the menu was & how friendly, professional and accomodating waiter was. We all enjoyed our entre & all opted for the refillable cocktail, where we were able to not only imbibe but change up cocktails during our time there. We ended our brunch by sharing a vanilla bean creme bulee and the frozen lemon mouse yum yum yum. West Bank Cafe I'd recommend for any occasion, romantic, family, just because..... great value too !Special Features:
- Great place!sshoffDined on 5/10/2014This place is always an affordable yet classy un-touristy favorite of mine when taking out of towners to see a show! The service and food is great. I only wish the Saturday lunch menu had a little more to offer with brunch, the sunday menu is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater lunch placeoftenoutVIPDined on 5/10/2014We needed a place for lunch that would be nice for conversation, had a varied menu, and near the theater. My daughter is gluten free and we didn't want to have a far walk to theater for my 93 year old Mom. I arrived early and they seated me immediately not requiring that the entire party was there...that was so nice. The waiter was attentive and delightful. Our dishes were tasty, met all our needs, and presented nicely. Great burger and salads. We were served promptly to help us make the theater, but had extra time, so we lingered over coffee and never felt pushed to leave for the next wave of customers. A little noisy with a large group next to us, but the tables are spaced nicely so you could still converse well. A win win!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningMichekeVIPDined on 5/7/2014Food was good, inc ambiance.soso, service superb. Good pre theatre venue...Special Features:
- Always reliableDoreenVIPDined on 5/7/2014I've eaten at West Bank Cafe many times and I've never been disappointed. The staff is courteous and friendly. The food is well-prepared and the variety offered can accomodate even the fussiest of diners. I strongly recommend this restaurant for large groups and for couples.Special Features:
- No substitionsJordana24Dined on 5/7/2014We were 7 ladies and we were all very happy with our lunch choices except for two things. My lunch came with blue cheese which I detest and I was told that the chef does not allow substitutions. I love goat cheese and I could not even get a side order of that. They had a wonderful special lunch and when four of our party wanted to order it at 12:30 we were told that there were only two orders left. They also did not erase it from the board. We were very surprised at that. It was not a hard dish to make. With all this we would still go back...We have frequented this restaurant and will still go back. Next time I will talk to a manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...Rose08Dined on 5/7/2014When we arrived for our reservation the restaurant was empty, and we were seated in the way back of the restaurant. Our server ignored us for most of the meal. He was abrupt and totally uninterested in taking our order. Our meal was actually good, but the service was poor. Highly recommend offering pre-fixe for Wednesday lunch to accommodate theater goers. There's no other reason to eat at this restaurant.
- Consistently goodPhilDined on 5/6/2014One can always count on good food and service at West Bank Cafe. We eat there when going to the American Airlines theater and find it a very reliable choice.Special Features:
- Great for brunchSopranojoyDined on 5/4/2014Pork belly Benedict on a buttermilk biscuit and bottomless bellinis. What could be better?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Good cocktails, Fun6mcw0VIPDined on 5/2/2014The food is good -- try the pork chops, they're fantastic. Nice cocktails list and good wine list. You'll find something you'll enjoy before, during, and after your meal. From couples sharing a good meal to groups of friends dining before the theater, the atmosphere is friendly, fun, vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pre-TheaterLarryDined on 4/26/2014There is a reason why this place has been around for so long...good food, good drink,good pre-theater. They keep it simple so that you never feel rushed but the curtain is always made.Special Features:
- WEST BANK NYCVictoria813VIPDined on 4/26/2014WBC has been a fav for 13 years when we first discovered for pre-theatre dinner! Hostess, wait staff and bar tenders all provide excellent service! Merci beaucoup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After Theater GemdianefeVIPDined on 4/25/2014Great place to eat after attending shows at the theaters on 42nd St.Special Features:
- Theatre DistrictDaiseyDined on 4/25/2014Nice little restaurant tucked away in the theatre district. We had a group of 5 at a round table that worked out perfectly for group conversation. The restaurant has a theatre downstairs and offers full kitchen.Special Features:
- Vegetarian? Wrong place.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/24/2014A vegetarian member of our party ended up having to order plain pasta as the only option was artichoke risotto and they wouldn't add veggies or garlic & oil. My kale and octopus salad was adequate but uninspired. Another friend had pasta carbonara which was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DO right when it goes wrongBDWhiteDined on 4/23/2014I have been to West Bank many times. This time there was some issue with getting our meals out on time to make our curtain at 8pm. The wait staff and manager were very apologetic, and they did get us our meal in time to eat. They felt bad Enough that they comped our calamari app. This is why we will come back. They do you right when things go wrong.Special Features:
- JerseyGirlDined on 4/23/2014Great choice for a theatre eatry. Interesting and diverse menu as well as prompt and courteous service. The food was wonderfully prepared and presented...loved the kale and octopus salad and the lemon mouse dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NattiDined on 4/20/2014The brunch food was really good. I would like to go again and order from the regular menuSpecial Features:
- Excellent Easter Brunch!FoodfiendDined on 4/20/2014I had forgotten how good West Bank Cafe was. I had Easter Brunch with a friend and we shared the delicious bread basket, eggs Benedict and the French Toast with bananas and berries. Everything was great. Looking around at the other tables I saw many items I would like to come back to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my hamburger not cooked as ordereddinendinerVIPDined on 4/19/2014I asked for it slightly pink it came mostly raw and sent it back and it came back well done and burned on outside all dried out. No excuse for this.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/16/2014A bit overpriced, good food & service. No complaints just hard to justify the price for what this restaurant has to offer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre friend slipping?JeffVIPDined on 4/15/2014I've been going to the West Bank for a very long time and have always considered it an old pre-theatre friend. But this time, things seemed a bit different. My martini was a couple of dollars more than before, my hamburger was smaller than before and not as tasty, and they wouldn't let me substitute salad for the french fries (which they had before). What used to be a packed house for dinner was sadly somewhat deserted, and there was a feeling of neglect in the air that I hadn't felt anytime in the past. Not sure what's happened there, but it looks as if the place is slip-sliding away.Special Features:
- Before attending an off-Broadway plRhodroDined on 4/12/2014I've been eating here for years. Our friends met us for dinner and they had not eaten here before. They enjoyed the restaurant, but were not overly impressed. Food was fine. Service adequate. Bread unimpressive. Martini $15 -please! (Grey Goose, yes, but the glass was not too large) A bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Pre-theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/11/2014Conveniently located, service is in tune with pre-theater scene, food is good/servicable. Not a destination restaurant but excels at serving this specific purpose.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemavivac75VIPDined on 4/11/2014Always reliable, pleasant, good service, good food... I keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy to returnAmieVIPDined on 4/9/2014We have reviewed West Bank Cafe many times, and it remains the ideal place for pre-theatre dinner. The service is always just right and the food sometimes pretty good, if not outstanding. We are theatre subscribers in that area and grateful to have that nice friendly restaurant with its pleasant setting to turn to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Place in Theatre AreaLauraDined on 4/9/2014The West Bank Cafe is one of my favorite restaurants in New York. It is perfect for a pre-theatre dinner or to dine with family or friends. The food is wonderful, service great and the owner is actively involved. I love this special charming neighborhood place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentBzaitaVIPDined on 4/8/2014Good food. Great wine list. The best among the affordable before and after theater restaurants.Special Features:
- Good dining for Off-B'way theatersPDCLarryVIPDined on 4/8/2014West Bank Cafe is ideally situated for the newly developed theater district on 42nd Street West of 9th Avenue. With Playwright Horizons, Signature, Pearl and a host of other small scale off and off-off Broadway theaters dining in the area has become a challenge. West Bank is on the upscale side of the ledger, along with Chez Josephine across the street. But there are also less expensive and good options. When you want a real treat of a meal to fit in with your probably inexpensive theater seats West Bank is the ticket. The menu is imaginative and modern, and every dish we have had was excellent. There's a good wine list and service is attentive and friendly. We visit several times a theater season, and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Bank Café is one of myfoodieVIPDined on 4/7/2014West Bank Café is one of my favorite restaurants. The food is consistently good and a great place all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.