West Bank Cafe
407 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
West Bank Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.westbankcafe.com/
- Phone: 2126956909x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday-Saturday: 11:30 AM-Midnight Sunday-Tuesday: 11:30 AM- 11 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Brassard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: West Bank Cafe can cater off-premise events ranging in size from 40 to 1,000. Our chef will design a menu tailored to your specific event, from passed hors d’oeuvres to formal sit-down meals, and the restaurant will supply everything from the linens and glassware to plates and staff.
- Private Party Facilities: The Laurie Beechman Theater and the restaurant’s dining room can accommodate private and semi-private groups ranging in size from 12 people for an intimate sit-down dinner to 245 for a cocktail party. The Laurie Beechman Theater is also ideal for business meetings and corporate presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Kenny Bell 2126956909x
- Entertainment: The Laurie Beechman Theatre, downstairs at West Bank Cafe, announces an exciting & eclectic line-up of performers & performances all of which take place in the gorgeous 80 seat theatre. Please visit BeechmanTheatre.com for full cabaret & theatre schedule.
- Special Events: For information concerning special events, contact our special events coordinator, Kenny Bell at BeechmanTheatre@westbankcafe.com
A word from West Bank Cafe
The West Bank Cafe has been serving exceptional American Fare to NYC theatre patrons as well as performers for over 30 years. Complementing the food is an award-winning California-focused wine list and a comfortable interior that includes the downstairs Laurie Beechman Theater, an 80-seat performance and private party space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
West Bank Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (122)great for lunch (74)great for brunch (55)fit for foodies (50)good for groups (40)late-night find (35)special occasion (27)romantic (19)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (15)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- AnnieDined on 8/20/2014My food and my friends' food was very good. I had the trout and my friends had crab cake. But my granddaughter had a salad which was only lettuce and it cost $9.00 ! It was unimaginative and boring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for pre-theatreMartyDined on 8/19/2014Limited menu, good food, fair service. Overall good for a meal before going to one of the 42nd St theaters.Special Features:
- Always goodYumorglumDined on 8/17/2014We have always been happy with this restaurant, whether it be brunch, lunch or dinner. It has a relatively small menu, with everything prepared deliciously. My salmon was outstanding. This is one of the most consistently best in the theater district. The fact that is is not noisy is really a plus as well. Perfect Cosmo, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gr8stakeVIPDined on 8/16/2014I always love coming here....the staff is terrific...which just adds to the excellent food and drink experience.Special Features:
- Convenient to theater but...LisaNYDined on 8/13/2014A friend and I chose West Bank for its convenience to far west off-Broadway theater on 42nd St. Lovely decor and attentive staff but we found the menu somewhat limited and the noise level made conversation difficult. The food was fair.
- Gluten FreeglutenfreefamilyDined on 8/13/2014A wonderful gluten-free meal, helpful wait-staff. The salmon with ratatouille was incredible, as was the octopus and kale salad. Also loved the lemon mousse. All gluten-free!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendationgoforitDined on 8/12/2014Food was excellent. Soups were delicious and Cod fish was excellent. Bread was O.K. but could be better. Service was fine. Very full at 7PM with some noise but place is good and popular. We were very pleased and satisfied.Special Features:
- Luv2dineoutVIPDined on 8/6/2014Totally enjoyed dinner. Great location near MSG. Would definitely go backI would recommend this to a friend.
- BobbioDined on 8/6/2014This was a great restaurant for pre-theater. We were concerned that we would not find a good restaurant that was located in the off Broadway area. the food was great and our whole experience was very nice. Highly recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great french toast; bad homefriesScrimshawDined on 8/3/2014The french toast with bananas was great but the home fries with scrambled eggs were awful. And each item, the eggs, bacon, potatoes and toast were served on different plates. What were they thinking?Special Features:
- Classic New York!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Love West Bank's authentic feel, menu is not pretentious but just right, so's the price, and friendly staff. Gets jammed pre-theater hours& after, but always reliable in every way. Check out the theater below, now that's New York!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappointed!donnaDined on 8/2/2014I have been coming to West Bank for years...mostly lunch or brunch, pre theater, though sometimes dinner. It is extremely convenient and always a good experience. The service is friendly and experienced. The owner is often present and quite interested in his customers. The menu has a variety of good choices. I have never had a bad meal at West Bank Cafe. Today we had the kale octopus salad and the rainbow trout. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorribleBeedubVIPDined on 8/1/2014Don't get any of the great reviews. Service was horrible food was not much better.
- Lovely eveningPavementratDined on 7/31/2014My sister came in from New Jersey via bus. The location is withon walking distance of Port Authority Bus Yerminal and the vibrant 42nd Street Theaterh Row -- in a good way! Away from Times Square! The food was delicious; the attentive and friendly. The cost was moderate. We would meet there again.Special Features:
- An old reliablejoesviewDined on 7/26/2014A neighborhood-changing eatery is as good as ever.Special Features:
- Shopper12VIPDined on 7/24/2014Service was very good. I had the trout. It was delicious. Loved the desserts too. My friend and I shared two.
- foodieVIPDined on 7/24/2014One of my favorites....good food with great service. This restaurant is the best.Special Features:
- Always exceeds expectations!geminiDined on 7/23/2014I've eaten and done the bar scene at West Bank Cafe many times in the past 2 years. It is always welcoming, imaginative in terms of service, and has wonderful food. I recently was there for a) the World Cup, b) a quick bite before my friend did a matinee (at NYMF), a light supper between the matinee and the evening performance, and then last night for an after-show drink to top off a night at B.B. King Blues Club. The bartender made a special cream rum based drink for us that was like an Egg Cream gone to heaven! :)Special Features:
- favorite location fadingdougVIPDined on 7/21/2014seems this place is getting tired. food ok. service ok. menu seems to be modified every time i go. not improving, just gliding along. if a new place opens nearby (location is their key) they will suffer.
- reisVIPDined on 7/21/2014enjoyed restaurant good service - great prix fixe - sensitive to theatre timing - great locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014The food was fresh, fun and tasteful. We had brunch and the prices were reasonable. It's a good stop before and after the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014Pre or Post Theatre, West Bank Cafe does not disappoint. Delicious food, great service, friendly staff. This is a great restaurant that we visit frequently. Thanks to the West Bank Cafe for a superior dining experience.
- A true neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/18/2014It's always a pleasure to dine at the West Bank Cafe. Terrific food and service, welcoming atmosphere, friendly bar, and a menu designed to enable theatre-goers to make the show on time -- or to have a meal after the show.Special Features:
- Consistently goodFormerfanVIPDined on 7/16/2014Nice menu. Always good food and very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we were looking forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014After walking around NYC we just wanted a nice little place to sit and have brunch and mimosas and this was a great place for that. A little more expensive than we wanted but a great spot to rest and recoup before going back out to site see.Special Features:
- Great dinner spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014Friends and I attended a show and needed a place to grab dinner beforehand. We came across this restaurant online, and the reviews were very good. I am happy to say that the reviews didn't do the place justice. Everything was great. We shared a bottle of lovely wine (which our server helped us choose) and the salmon tar tare, which had great flavor. I had the black linguini and enjoyed it very much. Everything was great and I would recommend West Bank Cafe to anyone looking to have dinner in that part of Manhattan. Cheers!Special Features:
- Great foodLoveFoodDined on 7/12/2014We came on a Saturday for lunch before catching a show. This restaurant has a gluten-free menu (with many choices!!), which was a big plus for the 3 out of 5 of us with gluten allergy. Food took just the right amount of time to arrive and was excellent. Risotto was fabulous, Steak was perfectly medium-rare. Highly recommend. It was 80% full on a Saturday afternoon, I'd imagine one would need to make dinner reservations to avoid a wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/11/2014Very nice for after theatre, decent food, good wine list, excellent service, a little noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is always very gooddedeDined on 7/11/2014limited menu and a bit pricy we shared one dinner and one a la carte and had a gift certificate for $20 and each had a drink and the bill for each was under $50 without the gift certificate it would have been over $50 ea. This is ok for an occassional pre theater but not routinely
- Theater FoodiePerfectItalianDined on 7/10/2014West Bank Cafe was wonderful. I go to theater frequently and I'm always looking for a great place to eat beforehand. This was my first time at West Bank and was not disappointed. The staff was friendly and attentive, the food was wonderful and the ambiance was great. I would definitely recommend this place!Special Features:
- A terrific restaurantTaffy26Dined on 7/9/2014A longtime favorite! Magnificent food, reasonable prices and friendly super-competent staff. Close to theatre district and easy exit to Lincoln Tunnel for out-of-towners. Who could ask for anything more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableRayUWSVIPDined on 7/6/2014I've been going to the West Bank for years and this was the first time the service was just ok - the server lost track of time as well as obviously didn't remember that 2 of us had ordered the Prix Fixe menu, as at the end of the meal he asked if anyone wanted dessert (and he had already taken the dessert order for us 2). Despite the one occurance, I will definitely return to the West Bank for lunch, dinner, drinks, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent First ExperienceNEC1Dined on 6/28/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our pre theater dinner. We had the Kale & Octopus salad & beet salad for starters followed by the crab cake & trout. The crab cake was loaded with chunky pieces of crab & no noticeable filler. The trout was prepared simply & cooked to perfection with a flavorful sauce. We will definitely return to West Bank Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good job WBCafeJeanfromalexandriaDined on 6/28/2014We took the bus to NYC to see a show and have dinner. We were seated promptly when we arrived for our 5:30 pm rsvp. The restaurant was buzzing already, and a table with a large group made it a little difficult to hear each other. We had prompt service and a very good dinner. The kale and octopus salad was my favorite. Everything went smoothly and we made it to theater in time. Good job WBCafe.
- A Pleasant Dining ExperienceFloraNJDined on 6/28/2014This was my second time at West Bank Cafe. The last time I was there was probably a year or more. The menu was the same. There were few specials. I special for the appetizer and two for entrees. The food was good. Service was good...maybe we felt a bit rushed. Nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater choiceStafVIPDined on 6/27/2014We come here all the time when we are going to the theater in the 40's. The food and service are great, friendly, and accomodating and we always get out on time for our show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- timely, tastyCC72VIPDined on 6/26/2014West Bank staff is consistently very attentive to diners' timetables.....getting us our food and checks promptly so we can get to the theater in time the curtain. And the food is very tasty!Special Features:
- A long-running culinary star showAndyjoDined on 6/25/2014West Bank Cafe's owner Steve was there the other night when we had dinner, and he was working just as hard as his friendly and efficient staff -- bussing tables, greeting guests, bringing drinks -- for he knows that many folks are heading to the theatre. I think he said this was the restaurant's 36th year -- or close to it. The reason it has endured is that the food is excellent, well priced, and the service is very very good. Thank goodness for long-running traditions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good old reliableAmieVIPDined on 6/24/2014We give West Bank high marks every time we go there, which is frequently. As long-time theatre goers, we love having West Bank Cafe nearby for our after the show dinners.Special Features:
- great dinner before a showbreadfish82Dined on 6/20/2014we were catching Aladdin with 1 child and 4 adults, and we needed to eat dinner before. tripadvisor gave me the heads up on this great spot 2 long blocks from theater central.very good food, fast and attentive service, good wine list, nice cocktails, fresh salad (key from a californian) and something for everyone - picky eaters, vegetarians, kids, and foodies.Special Features: