West Bank Cafe
407 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
West Bank Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.westbankcafe.com/
- Phone: 2126956909x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday-Saturday: 11:30 AM-Midnight Sunday-Tuesday: 11:30 AM- 11 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: West Bank Cafe can cater off-premise events ranging in size from 40 to 1,000. Our chef will design a menu tailored to your specific event, from passed hors d’oeuvres to formal sit-down meals, and the restaurant will supply everything from the linens and glassware to plates and staff.
- Private Party Facilities: The Laurie Beechman Theater and the restaurant’s dining room can accommodate private and semi-private groups ranging in size from 12 people for an intimate sit-down dinner to 245 for a cocktail party. The Laurie Beechman Theater is also ideal for business meetings and corporate presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Kenny Bell 2126956909x
- Entertainment: The Laurie Beechman Theatre, downstairs at West Bank Cafe, announces an exciting & eclectic line-up of performers & performances all of which take place in the gorgeous 80 seat theatre. Please visit BeechmanTheatre.com for full cabaret & theatre schedule.
- Special Events: For information concerning special events, contact our special events coordinator, Kenny Bell at BeechmanTheatre@westbankcafe.com
A word from West Bank Cafe
The West Bank Cafe has been serving exceptional American Fare and an award winning wine list to our neighbors and NYC visitors for over 35 years. The sophisticated, yet relaxed ambiance is enhanced by our special connection to New York's theater community, making it the perfect destination for a before or after-show meal. Our comfortable interior includes the Laurie Beechman Theatre, a 100-seat performance and private party space underneath the restaurant. We hope to see you soon!.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
West Bank Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
219 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (129)great for lunch (72)fit for foodies (54)great for brunch (53)good for groups (42)late-night find (35)special occasion (26)vibrant bar scene (25)romantic (17)hot spot (17)notable wine list (15)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good for grown upsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014Easy to do and doesn't feel like as big a tourist trap as others in that nabe.Special Features:
- One of the best in the areaYumYumVIPDined on 9/6/2014Always reliable and a great selection around the theater district, although can be loud. Otherwise: delicious food, good wine, good service.Special Features:
- freddyDined on 9/2/2014Everything was perfect-greatmservice as we went before dinnerSpecial Features:
- Great pre-theater choiceStafVIPDined on 9/2/2014As always this restaurant is a consistently good choice for pre-theater dinner. The food is very good, the service attentive and they get you out in time for your curtain.Special Features:
- good wholesome foodSteveDined on 8/30/2014and authentically friendly and knowledgeable wait staff. the experience for me and my girlfriend was exceptional. I had the spllit pork chop, savory and generous portion. Had nice private table too!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014Great Restaurant I always enjoy going there especially if theater is close byI would recommend this to a friend.
- starting to be a regularJimB52Dined on 8/28/2014Even though we are part of the bridge and tunnel crowd, we've now done the West Bank Cafe three times in the last couple of months. The food is very good, the location is great, the prices are very fair for what you get. This place is way better than any number of theater area restaurants, and not a bad walk to any of the B'way shows. Our table was ready at the reservation time and the wait staff knew we were going to a show and made sure we were done in plenty of time. The bartender was great. We first picked this place because it looked like a good spot for people coming from different places to meet, but keep coming back for all the other reasons.Special Features:
- Perfect for "Before Theatre"ArlingtonVIPDined on 8/28/2014Before taking our order, our very attentive and pleasant waitress asked us what time was our show. She took our orders, brought our drinks and food in more than enough time to give our party time to relax over dinner and get to the theatre on time. Plus, the food is delicious. We will definitely go again before our next show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunshineVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great before theatre in this area; they really work to get you out in time. The menu, drink, prices, portions and friendliness are all first rate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choicelocaldinerDined on 8/28/2014I met a friend whom I had not seen in 11 years. We had a lot of catching up to do and the restaurant afforded us the opportunity to have a quiet, leisurely, tasty meal. The prix fixe lunch menu is a good deal. This was my second time at West Bank Cafe; the first time was for a pre-theatre dinner. I will definitely return and also recommend to others.Special Features:
- Pre theatrevickiDined on 8/27/2014Though we have tried other restaurants this is our favorite ore theatre restaurant and will just come here in the futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/26/2014Never fails to disappoint even after all of these yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theatre,great food/staffluv2dinenicelyDined on 8/26/2014We were asked upon arrival if we were going to a show and by what time we needed to be finished. They couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating without rushing us through dinner. There was a nice selection on the menu for all 4 of us. The only, sort of, complaint that we would have is that the portions are on the lighter side. If you are going with a big appetite and like to eat larger entree portions this is not the place. However, we each had an appetizer salad, three of us had a fish entree and one had a pasta entree. Although we thought the serving of fish was slightly small, the pasta was perfect, the fish outstanding and we were just satisfied. Their delicious cappuccino was a nice, relaxing finish to our meal.Special Features:
- Pre Theatre ChoiceTennisfanDined on 8/26/2014This was a first visit to this restaurant and it was a perfect choice for pre-theatre dining. The service was very good but not rushed. The menu was varied and the specials were excellent. We had a party of four and we all felt that the prices were quite reasonable.Special Features:
- Good food theater districtOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Great food, good prices for theater district, a little noisy but unfortunately service let something to be desired. We ordered an appetizer for the entire table and three entrees. waited a long time, waiter avoided looking us in eye and then brought all 4 dishes, at the same time leading to our basically not eating the appetizer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food before the showDavidfromLIDined on 8/23/2014I've eaten here on several occasions and have never been disappointed. My companion and I arrived a bit late due to traffic; the staff made certain that we were served quickly to make an 8 PM curtain. We ordered off the prix fixe menu, which was quite good and an excellent value. I had the gazpacho, my companion had the salad; both very tasty and fresh. Next course for me was the salmon with ratatouille with pesto, well-prepared; the ratatouille was very flavorful. My companion had the chicken, which in some hands could be mundane. Here the chicken was seasoned with herbs and cooked so as to be crisp on the outside and moist internally; very nicely done. The desserts were outstanding, a frozen lemon mousse and chocolate bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like2eatoutDined on 8/23/2014I often go to plays at the near by theaters so the location a good food make it an ideal go to spot.Special Features:
- EribellaDined on 8/22/2014Recommended by my acting coach,West Bank is her favorite restaurant, and does not disappoint. Delicious food, great service, and perfect location right in Hells Kitchen. Will be back soon for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnieDined on 8/20/2014My food and my friends' food was very good. I had the trout and my friends had crab cake. But my granddaughter had a salad which was only lettuce and it cost $9.00 ! It was unimaginative and boring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for pre-theatreMartyDined on 8/19/2014Limited menu, good food, fair service. Overall good for a meal before going to one of the 42nd St theaters.Special Features:
- Always goodYumorglumDined on 8/17/2014We have always been happy with this restaurant, whether it be brunch, lunch or dinner. It has a relatively small menu, with everything prepared deliciously. My salmon was outstanding. This is one of the most consistently best in the theater district. The fact that is is not noisy is really a plus as well. Perfect Cosmo, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gr8stakeVIPDined on 8/16/2014I always love coming here....the staff is terrific...which just adds to the excellent food and drink experience.Special Features:
- Convenient to theater but...LisaNYDined on 8/13/2014A friend and I chose West Bank for its convenience to far west off-Broadway theater on 42nd St. Lovely decor and attentive staff but we found the menu somewhat limited and the noise level made conversation difficult. The food was fair.
- Gluten FreeglutenfreefamilyDined on 8/13/2014A wonderful gluten-free meal, helpful wait-staff. The salmon with ratatouille was incredible, as was the octopus and kale salad. Also loved the lemon mousse. All gluten-free!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendationgoforitDined on 8/12/2014Food was excellent. Soups were delicious and Cod fish was excellent. Bread was O.K. but could be better. Service was fine. Very full at 7PM with some noise but place is good and popular. We were very pleased and satisfied.Special Features:
- Luv2dineoutVIPDined on 8/6/2014Totally enjoyed dinner. Great location near MSG. Would definitely go backI would recommend this to a friend.
- BobbioDined on 8/6/2014This was a great restaurant for pre-theater. We were concerned that we would not find a good restaurant that was located in the off Broadway area. the food was great and our whole experience was very nice. Highly recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great french toast; bad homefriesScrimshawDined on 8/3/2014The french toast with bananas was great but the home fries with scrambled eggs were awful. And each item, the eggs, bacon, potatoes and toast were served on different plates. What were they thinking?Special Features:
- Classic New York!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Love West Bank's authentic feel, menu is not pretentious but just right, so's the price, and friendly staff. Gets jammed pre-theater hours& after, but always reliable in every way. Check out the theater below, now that's New York!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappointed!donnaDined on 8/2/2014I have been coming to West Bank for years...mostly lunch or brunch, pre theater, though sometimes dinner. It is extremely convenient and always a good experience. The service is friendly and experienced. The owner is often present and quite interested in his customers. The menu has a variety of good choices. I have never had a bad meal at West Bank Cafe. Today we had the kale octopus salad and the rainbow trout. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorribleBeedubVIPDined on 8/1/2014Don't get any of the great reviews. Service was horrible food was not much better.
- Lovely eveningPavementratDined on 7/31/2014My sister came in from New Jersey via bus. The location is withon walking distance of Port Authority Bus Yerminal and the vibrant 42nd Street Theaterh Row -- in a good way! Away from Times Square! The food was delicious; the attentive and friendly. The cost was moderate. We would meet there again.Special Features:
- An old reliablejoesviewDined on 7/26/2014A neighborhood-changing eatery is as good as ever.Special Features:
- Shopper12VIPDined on 7/24/2014Service was very good. I had the trout. It was delicious. Loved the desserts too. My friend and I shared two.
- foodieVIPDined on 7/24/2014One of my favorites....good food with great service. This restaurant is the best.Special Features:
- Always exceeds expectations!geminiDined on 7/23/2014I've eaten and done the bar scene at West Bank Cafe many times in the past 2 years. It is always welcoming, imaginative in terms of service, and has wonderful food. I recently was there for a) the World Cup, b) a quick bite before my friend did a matinee (at NYMF), a light supper between the matinee and the evening performance, and then last night for an after-show drink to top off a night at B.B. King Blues Club. The bartender made a special cream rum based drink for us that was like an Egg Cream gone to heaven! :)Special Features:
- favorite location fadingdougVIPDined on 7/21/2014seems this place is getting tired. food ok. service ok. menu seems to be modified every time i go. not improving, just gliding along. if a new place opens nearby (location is their key) they will suffer.
- reisVIPDined on 7/21/2014enjoyed restaurant good service - great prix fixe - sensitive to theatre timing - great locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014The food was fresh, fun and tasteful. We had brunch and the prices were reasonable. It's a good stop before and after the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014Pre or Post Theatre, West Bank Cafe does not disappoint. Delicious food, great service, friendly staff. This is a great restaurant that we visit frequently. Thanks to the West Bank Cafe for a superior dining experience.