179 Franklin Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thalassanyc.com/
- Phone: 2129417661
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Thalassa
Contemporary Mediterranean Seafood Restaurant with rare Greek wines and hard to get boutique worldly wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thalassa reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)romantic (44)fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (26)notable wine list (23)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (9)great for lunch (3)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- christmas eve dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2013Excellent seafood selection, attentive hosts, list of Greek wines. Made my father extremely happy.Special Features:
- Greek TragedyOceanreadyVIPDined on 12/16/2013Chose this restaurant because we love fresh Greek fish and vegetables. Walked out vowing to never return. The service was abrupt and aggressive. The food was mediocre. And the wine list limited to only very expensive bottles (the $100 of French was sold out--so I had to reach to $159). This is not a place for a quick meal. If you need to be in Tribeca and must have Greek, you can subject yourself. But, with so many great Greek restaurants in NY, jump on the subway and head uptown--where the food and wine are both better and more affordable--and avoid this Trojan Horse.Special Features:
- A bit expensive; portionsViviDined on 11/29/2013A bit expensive; portions small. Inside decor is striking; very romantic; quietSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful greek food greatDevilsgalDined on 11/23/2013wonderful greek food great service lovelt atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Great Food, Atmosphere and ServiceLDLeoneVIPDined on 11/22/2013Waiter was super attentive and the food was top notch. The seafood is exceptionally fresh and our overall dinner experience was well paced and very enjoyable. Will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refined Greek DiningMannyLakDined on 11/16/2013Exceptional dining with a Greek flair. Some of the portions are small plates great for tasting for two, The service, well...equally attentive and accommodating, This was at 7PM on a Saturday, when we left Thalassa there were no empty seats. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlawlessJunieviewVIPDined on 11/14/2013This was my first time there and every aspect of my dining experience was absolutely wonderful. I will be returning shortly,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all good!PastaloverVIPDined on 11/13/2013Excellent food in a lovely atmosphere with attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps getting betterNewYorkerVIPDined on 11/9/2013Go for Octopus ap, seafood with pasta excellent and lavraki (amazing)Special Features:
- Always excellentPress1Dined on 11/6/2013Great restaurant - consistently good food and ambianceSpecial Features:
- Spectacularmbd3VIPDined on 11/5/2013I don't understand why this restaurant wasn't completely full; perhaps Tuesday nights are slow. But every single bite of food we put in our mouths was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fresh and tasty!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2013Food was fresh and tasty! The Branzino was prepared perfectly. Great wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Greek option downtownAppleAnnie12VIPDined on 11/2/2013Loved the setting and the design of the place. Food was very good and it was blissfully loud enough so that you could hear your dining companions. Missed some of the old traditional Greek standbys though--tarama, fried manouri, etc.Special Features:
- YawnNightlyfoodieDined on 11/2/2013Milos wannabe...don't take gluten allergies into consideration; older crowd; good for 60 year old neighborhood diners; small portions; tasty but not amazing as Milo's in midtown but def a copy of their menu selections and the fresh seafood setup.Special Features:
- Elegant and deliciousgattoVIPDined on 10/18/2013An elegant, sultry environment to enjoy wonderful upscale greek food. Stand outs include the grilled octopus, seafood with orzo, dover sole and all desserts. Wine list is extensive, staff wonderful, knowledgeable and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect Sunday !AlixMidTwnDined on 10/13/2013Although it was their first Sunday opened for dinner, they sure did have their act together! First off, the decor was amazing - unique, open-spaces (yet cozy/romantic) and extremely clean-and-crisp. The ambience was perfect. I LOVED the live, Greek music. The food was great from the amazing octopus app, to the white-fish entrees we had. I thoroughly enjoyed the cheese plate, olives and hummus they provide complimentary, as well as the wine - a nice touch, and great immediate 'starter' for someone who was quite hungry walking in. I really don't have anything negative to say about my experience. I will be going back, 100%.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Greek Food, Great ServiceJnDKVDined on 10/7/2013We've been to Thalassa twice and will go again. This is authentic and delicious Greek food. The fresh fish is especially good. The waiter was great. When I asked for a recommendation on white wine, he steered us to a Greek white that was the least expensive bottle on the menu and it was perfect! From Santorini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get Him/Her to The Greek!MangiaMangiaDined on 10/2/2013Outstanding experience all around. Beautiful room, attentive and friendly service (without being invasive or too formal) and simply delicious food from starters to dessert. The tartare trio was a wonderful app shared by three of us. My lamb shank was tender, flavorful, fall off the bone good. And our host kept bringing us complimentary tastes and sips - an amuse bouche, Greek dessert wine, and chocolates and sweetcake afterwards. Throw in a talented jazz guitarist softly playing classic rock ballads while you dine and you're in Hellenic nirvana.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food delicious although a bit noisySammyVIPDined on 9/25/2013I took two clients out for dinner. There was a party going on downstairs which made it impossible to talk without yelling. The food was very good though. Usually the restaurant is empty during the week but the night we went they had a function downstairs. The noise traveled upstairs. That took away from our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this service was awful and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2013was barely edible. I was embarrassed that I had suggested the restaurant
- Favorite Seafood in the City!luv2dineDined on 9/6/2013Such a beautiful restaurant. Service was outstanding! Brought guests to impress, and they were definitely impressed. Must try the Octopus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodsroseDined on 9/4/2013Our guests from Washington DC enjoyed the fabulous seafood & lamb chops. Appetizers were great and tasty. Price was truly great deal among fancy restaurants in the area. My friends from Texas will come to try this restaurant after recommendations from DC friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The drinks were great! TheHoneyBeeDined on 8/23/2013The drinks were great! The service was excellent! The waiters knew their menu and what food and beverage complemented each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSandraVIPDined on 8/17/2013One of my best seafood restaurant in town. Fish is fresh and excellent, tables are well separated to stay intimate, romantic scene and cosy decoration. Wine recommendations are also very good and service is very attentive and kind. I always go back when I can and am always satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food slow serviceBritkayDined on 8/16/2013My first time here and having lived in Greece I know what good is and the food was good, I especially liked all the little extras we got like olives and dips, desserts and digestif, the service was very poor for the first hour, it was a Friday night, but we didn't get a waiter for more than half an hour, my waiter didn't know ehat Greek food was nor what gluten free meant, however apart from that, lovely place and great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Buddies Loved ItStriniladyDined on 8/16/2013This restaurant was fantastic!!! The food was exquisitely presented and the portions were just right. My restaurant buddies and I loved our waiter, he was a delight and brought us additional tastes of crab cakes (which I will have to get the next time I'm there) and a lovely dessert wine. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek glamDizzyVIPDined on 8/15/2013Wonderful time. Food was verygood but not great after going to Astoria Greeks. Service was friendly and spot on. Visualy the restaurant is verynpleasing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Greek Food in TribecaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2013I've been wanting to dine at Thalassa for quite some time and I finally got there. The food was excellent. We dined off the restaurant week menu and the value was terrific.The regular menu had a good variety of seafood and Greek inspired items. Our seafood was fresh and perfectly prepared. The wine list was extensive with a good selection of Greek wines that you don't see on many restaurant lists. Our wait staff was attentive but not intrusive. We went on a Wednesday evening, the restaurant was fairly busy but we were not rushed and spent over three hours at our table. There was a beautiful party space downstairs, which is decorated like the main dining room. I'm definitely returning and looking forward to dining off the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the Pricebabybaby0Dined on 8/13/2013I rarely rate restaurants "fit for foodies", but everything my wife and I were served was beautifully conceived, perfectly executed, and absolutely delicious. Even the coffee was outstanding. The service was just the way it's supposed to be at a fine restaurant: attentive, accommodating and very pleasantly friendly without slopping over into hi-I'll-be-your-server informality. We were treated like valued regulars even though we were actually first-time Restaurant Week hoi polloi. BTW, the prix fixe menu is good through Labor Day and its dinner is an excellent value. The regular menu prices are on the steep side, but you'll get your money's worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite what it used to beHungryJamesVIPDined on 8/10/2013I've been here 4 or 5 times over the years and always had great experiences. This time, I was disappointed, especially since we brought friends here and vouched for the place. The food is still very good, but the staff now makes the place feel like it's on the way out. Our waiter was rude, contradicted our opinions, and was flirting with our dates a bit too much. The other disappointment was that they no longer offer langoustines by the pound. This was easily their best attribute but sadly it's gone. I won't be going back.Special Features:
- awesom food!!!kim7510Dined on 8/10/2013the restaurant was very quiet and food was delicious. well decorated. especially i like the display of raw fish and other seafood in ice. but it is pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tribeca hidden locationABCHDined on 8/7/2013nice large bar - and nice dining room - moderately quiet so you can have good conversations - great background music (guitar). very good service and food - plus little extras like sweet wine w dessert. a wonderful evening all aroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resturant week 2013 SummermhnycDined on 8/7/2013It was not the best selection as some of the dishes were too simple and could have been so much better. The best was the desert. The panna cotta with glazed pears.
- Delightfully freshlsmryDined on 8/6/2013Charming nautical atmosphere, fabulous private function rooms, extraordinarily attentive service, creative menuSpecial Features:
- Awesome Greek in a lovely settingBigSighDined on 8/1/2013The maitre d' was warm and welcoming. I instantly felt this was a place I would return to. Relaxed lounge area and the setting with sail like cloths on the ceiling making it special. The food - the octopus was delish, soft and flavourful, the scallops in filo like pastry were a first for me ( not scallops but the package they were in) and I hope not a last. The wine very complementary, some delish dumplings and everyone ordered the eggplant chips ( except our table) - so will try that next time. It is not cheap and they are overly keen to whisk away your plates but sadly that trend is prevalent everywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2013The atmosphere, food and service were superb!! Restaurant week menu was great taste and great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2013The charcoal grilled octopus was something I shied away from, my friend offered me a taste and I fell in love. Everything about this establishment is top notch. After going there for Restaurant week in summer 2013, i've recommended it to multiple friends who all have had the same great experience.Special Features:
- LUNCHOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/30/2013we went for a post wedding lunch. The service and food were excellent. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Great food, service was good,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2013Great food, service was good, and the restaurant itself is very nice. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thalassa Restaurant Weekrichard0304Dined on 7/29/2013Thalassa's Restaurant Week menu is one of the most consistently generous, well executed meals - leagues above many Restaurant Week restaurants. It is a quiet venue with well spaced tables. Service is polished and very attentive. The food is outstanding... from the amuse bouche to the post-dessert dessert! I highly recommend this restaurant...and look forward to returning for an 8th visit!Special Features: