179 Franklin Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thalassanyc.com/
- Phone: 2129417661
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Thalassa
Contemporary Mediterranean Seafood Restaurant with rare Greek wines and hard to get boutique worldly wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thalassa reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (46)special occasion (46)fit for foodies (43)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (27)notable wine list (22)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (4)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Slow serviceRREVEWBHVIPDined on 7/9/2014Service was extremely slow - we sat for dinner around 6:15 pm and were one of the few tables in the restaurant- we got our main course around 8 pm
- TerrificJosephVIPDined on 6/30/2014This was my second time back at this terrific restaurant. My wife and I had dinner with a good friend and the food and service was terrific. The $38 dinner menu has a lot to offer. The food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 810 reviews are from the Thalassa reviews archive.
- ARCJDined on 6/14/2014Wow, what a great find. Loved everything about Thalassa and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Flawless service, nice Tasting MenuChristineVIPDined on 6/11/2014Thalassa's decor was beautiful and the staff were very attentive. We all had the Tasting Menu which included either a Kale Salad or Seafood Ravioli to start, a Halibut or Lamb Chops as Entrees and two interesting choices for dessert. The food was tasty and the portion sizes very good. The noise level was a little loud at the start of the dinner because there was a corporate reception at the bar area, but once the party went to the private room downstairs, there was a very talented guitar player that strummed beautifully in the background. A lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKvcmdVIPDined on 6/6/2014Perhaps for a large group or out of towners Thalassa would be a good pick. It's a big space - servers were mostly robotic - and the food was solid, with the exception of the fresh watermelon salad that was very good, but not memorable.Special Features:
- A DELICIOUS & RELAXING EXPERIENCEruthDined on 6/4/2014We served, most graciously, with a complementary seafood ball, which was so excellent that I wish it was on the menu. Highlights in food was the octopus appetizer, striped bass and the Ekmek dessert. ( I wish we didn't share it.) We had excellent wine advice and a dry Greek wine, Kanenas red, was recommended and was perfect. A complementary liquor was offered after dinner. It's good I got a ride home. This is about the 4th time we have eaten there and plan to return many times in the future.Special Features:
- Seafood Destination in Tribeca areaappiyaDined on 6/4/2014Excellent: • Ambience including the guitar player in the background • Friendly & attentive staff • Seafood & fish (appetizers Seafood Saganaki & Maine Diver Sea Scallops; entrees Lavraki & Grilled Shrimps substituted for Langustine) • Complimentary shrimp based appetizer • Great value Prix Fixe tasting menu • Choice of wines (we were helped because we were not familiar with Greek grapes) • Desserts like Ekmek and the Ice Cream medley Average: • Meat dishes – lamb shank & lamb chops • Panna cotta Below-average • Sheep’s yogurt-based dessert with preserved fruit that had overtones of ersatz flavoring (I have high standards for sheep’s yogurt from an organic source – the yogurt quality & accompaniments did not merit being on the dessert menu)Special Features:
- Dinner reviewhappydinerDined on 5/23/2014My husband and I had dinner here to celebrate a major birthday and we loved the place! Nice ambience, great service and the food was wonderful. We will definitely put this restaurant on our list for places to go when we're in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014We've (my fiance and I) been meaning to try Thalassa since we've moved into the neighborhood. We walk by often and every time it looks enchanting and has been recommended to us by a few friends. Last night was the first night we, actually, had to experience Thalassa and I have to say, it was wonderful. I never write reviews but after the night we had, I felt the urge to share. Everything was excellent! The atmosphere is spacious and luxurious. The food was incredible. We started with the crabmeat salad and grilled octopus and then shared the black sea bass from their fresh fish market. The fish melted in my mouth and was so fresh. Our server was able to pair it with great bottle of wine and the whole night was perfect! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Lovely space, great portionsilovefooddietDined on 5/11/2014Came here to celebrate Mothers Day. Very nice airy restaurant with excellent service and generous well prepared portions. Lovely prefix meal with additional complimentary deserts and port wine. The owners provided a wonderful "goodie bag" for all the "Moms" on Mothers Day - Large bottle of Thalassa extra virgin olive oil, bottle of sea salt along with home made cookies! Definitely will come back again!Special Features:
- They lost our food to take homeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/9/2014Thalassa mixed up and lost over $40 of food to take home. The food itself was good - but the staff not being helpful to resolve our 'misplaced' food was enough for me not to return.
- Never DisappointsBaseballmomDined on 5/6/2014Wonderful neighborhood gem with fresh fish prepared in delicious ways. Gracious service in a beautiful setting. We have been to Thalassa dozens of times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Never dissappointsmalunaDined on 5/3/2014I've been at least three to four times in this restaurant and every time its a new experience. They are always busy and even when the kitchen is running a little slow they make up for it by giving you a little tasting of this or that. I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite neighborhood restaurantSue123VIPDined on 5/3/2014This is my go-to restaurant for both quiet dinners and special occasions-they never disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThalassaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/1/2014The service and food were incredible but the atmosphere was pretty clinical. Definitely recommend going in a large group or with a partner for a quiet night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceShirleyDined on 5/1/2014Dining experience at Thalassa was delightful. The pace was excellent and allowed for a lovely unhurried meal. The staff was very gracious.Special Features:
- Service could be betterYummy32VIPDined on 4/26/2014I have been to Thalassa a number of times and had excellent experiences. On this last occasion I was not impressed. The restaurant was busy but there was enough waitstaff to handle it. Our waiter took 10 minutes to get to our table for drinks. Normally we would receive bread, hummus, olives while waiting for our first course. We had to ask for bread since nothing came out and it was tasteless and stale. The waiter was not rude but definitely not friendly. He never came to check on us and we had to flag him down a few times to get things like a knife, another cocktail and the check. There was 4 of us and our bill was almost $300. To be that high the service was definitely not worth it.Special Features:
- Beautiful delicious foodTTK2Dined on 4/19/2014Lovely designed Restaraunt. Peaceful calm even when it was full on a sat night @ 830. You could actually carry on a conversation without screaming at you companions Delicious food. Loved the octopus appt lamb was cooked beautifully Wine list a little pricey. Beautiful fish. Excellent prix fix Definitely worth the trip from the upper east sideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special occasionlove2eatDined on 4/18/2014Our meal was quite delightful. Lots of different flavors, the fish was outstanding both in flavor and freshness. Wonderful restaurant for a special occasion as it is pricey.Special Features:
- Big fanOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/15/2014We have been to Thalassa several times, and it never disappoints. But our most recent visit was remarkable beyond belief. Every item we ordered was prepared to perfection. The service was very pleasant and attentive but not at all instrusive. And they treated us to lots of items that we did not order, from appetizers through dessert. Definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/8/2014I've recently dined at Thalassa, absolutely wonderful!! Great wine list,fresh food, desserts, European ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very hospitable!yambartsumianDined on 4/5/2014Always pleased with Thalassa. They truly understand Greek hospitality and make large parties feel at home. We will be doing our rehearsal dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very knowledgeable staff/CarouselVIPDined on 4/4/2014Very knowledgeable staff/ Helped us in selecting wine and describing the various types of fish in accordance with our likes. Recommendation right on in explaining the texture of the fish and in comparing the wines to our taste. Like the idea of take home package waiting at the front desk and not left on table.Special Features:
- Best Greek seafoodabcladyDined on 4/3/2014All in all a top of the line restaurant. The langoustines from New Zealand are succulent and sweet, the whole fish is rich and tasty They use the best tomatoes for their salad. Even the baklava is superior. Staff us solicitous and friendly, not unctuous or snooty. A delightful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ExperienceRinkerDined on 3/31/2014We celebrated a birthday here with dinner on a weekday evening. It was a quiet evening and not a lot of other diners. It's a beautiful restaurant that is very dramatic inside after entering through the rather ordinary entrance outside…which I liked. The service was excellent…a bit stilted at first, but then they loosened up a bit. The food and wine was very good with some options being better than others, but that's to be expected. Their Baklava was excellent!Special Features:
- Elegant and Delicious...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/29/2014This is a very elegant restaurant. The food was delicious and well presented. The service was superb and the ambience could not be more appropriate -- quiet enough to carry a pleasant conversation if you are part of a small or big group. This is my second time at this restaurant and I strongly recommend it.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningDaphnelleDined on 3/28/2014Our waiter was very knowledgeable and took great care of us, allowing us to sample wine before deciding. The cuisine was amazing and the noise level is low enough to allow for conversation (rare in NY). A bit expensive of course but great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Fish there for yourgedsapDined on 3/27/2014Fresh Fish there for your choosing. The waiters are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedSatisfiedDinerDined on 3/15/2014We've eaten many times at Thalassa and we've never been disappointed. The grilled octopus is well worth the price - delicious, tender and hefty portion. And you can never go wrong with the market fish prepared Greek style, with just lemon, olive oil, capers and light seasonings. We were too full to have dessert. Service was attentive, if a bit persistent, and accommodating. Beautiful bar - surprisingly empty after 10:30 pm. I would come back with a group for a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not my best experience at ThalassaLattanziVIPDined on 3/15/2014I have eaten at Thalassa several times and brought friends there for their first time. While the food was top rated, I must say I was extremely disappointed in the service. Our server had an "edge" about him that was condescending. We asked for the wine list and all he rather than make recommendations, all he did was point out pricing and regions. The wine list is extensive and award winning, but I certainly believe there could be a better range of good value wines. I was made to feel uncomfortable ordering the Organic wine by the glass selection as well as when I was considering ordering a vegetarian meal rather than a fish meal. I actually had to be firm in stating my preference to offset his argumentative nature.Special Features:
- Very good fresh fishLuvFoodDined on 3/7/2014I had the whole fish. Striped bass. It was very simply prepared unfortunately not hot enough. The appetizers were a bit to complex for my taste. I would not reorder the stuffed calamari. The desert was amazing. The service was outstanding. Overall the experience was very good but wouldn't rush back anytime soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy Greek restaurantRelcoVIPDined on 3/5/2014Thalassa is a great place to go to for quiet conversation, delicious food and wonderful cocktails. They have a very good prix fix menu as well as an extensive ala' carte menu. And when you leave, you are presented with a small wax paper bag filled with delicious cookies. How good is that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafoodJanSDined on 3/4/2014Good food, fresh fish well prepared, brusque but efficient service, decor a bit overdone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/26/2014Food was very good, but service was excellent. Very nice place and great cocktails too. Definitely going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, ambiance andFernandoDined on 2/20/2014Fantastic food, ambiance and service. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is one ofLM2013Dined on 2/19/2014This restaurant is one of my favorites. The food is outstanding and all dishes were perfectly prepared. Each dish has great flavors and a nice element of surprise. The service is excellent. We enjoyed all courses and even got to sample a complementary appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb GreekhappypatronDined on 2/8/2014We were completely satisfied with our dinner at Thalassa. The fish is impeccable. Highly recommended appetizers, scallops and octopus. Dessert was devine. Excellent wines. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptous food and drinkMetsfan86Dined on 2/7/2014We really enjoyed our food and our specialty drinks. There were so many great menu choices to choose from, that we can not wait to go back. the grape leaves and the quinoa appetizer were just greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a totally over-rated,wordpicturVIPDined on 2/5/2014This is a totally over-rated, ridiculously expensive restaurant. None of the dishes were special, none of the ingredients were exceptiona. The service was over-bearing. And, magically, in an almost empty restaurant they put the three parties at adjoining tables. Stupid. I'll never return.l
- A real find!Sue123VIPDined on 1/30/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Tribeca. Whether I go for a quiet dinner out or a special occasion, it's special every time--food and service are both impeccable. This time I went with a group of 7, and my guests were all very impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.