Oceanaire Seafood Room - DC
1201 F Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Oceanaire Seafood Room - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoceanaire.com/
- Phone: 2023472277
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Reservations Recommended
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Sean Sanders
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oceanaire Seafood Room - DC
As sleek as a 1930s ocean liner, yet as relaxed as a dinner on the shore, the Oceanaire provides the perfect setting to enjoy Ultra-Fresh seafood, flown in daily from around the world. Sip a Sidecar in the lounge, sidle up to the oyster bar, or kick back in a horseshoe booth before diving into a sea of Ultra-Fresh fish, including steak-cut Alaskan halibut, seasonal favorites like fresh Copper River salmon or hard-to-find delicacies like true Dover sole or bluefin tuna. Our daily-printed menu will guide you, a wine list as deep as the sea will seduce you, and the world's freshest seafood awaits you at the Oceanaire. See you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Oceanaire Seafood Room - DC - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Oceanaire Seafood Room - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
335 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (220)fit for foodies (127)romantic (115)good for groups (103)notable wine list (84)great for lunch (72)hot spot (44)neighborhood gem (40)vibrant bar scene (33)late-night find (26)great for brunch (20)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Dining on the 1/2 shell...Dine2niteDined on 8/13/2014...and the pearl is the food! Dined with 5 friends and all agreed food was fabulous. As usual, Service was attentive , but not intrusive. Sat 3 in the shell booth and 3 across and it was a bit difficult to hear. Recommend one of the booths against the wall for a quieter dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was okCielbeeDined on 8/13/2014The food was ok, the service was ok, the dining room was full of people (no doubt due to Restaurant Week) so it was a bit noisy, but ok.
- DisappointingAnonymousDined on 8/13/2014The food was generally OK, but both of our andouille cornmeal stuffed trout entrees came out lukewarm with the stuffing at room temp; and with no andouille to be found. The black and bleu barramundi was tasty though. For appetizers, my tequila shrimp ceviche had more onion and cucumber than shrimp. More disappointing, however, was the service. Our server: 1) never mentioned the Restaurant Week menu even though that's why we came; 2) tried to up-sale us at every opportunity & was annoyed when we didn't bite; 3) put the wine next to the youngest member of our party (who didn't drink); 4) forgot to add wine to my glass after the initial tasting; 5) did not bring out bread; 6) handed items from across the table. He seemed quite untrained.
- Restaurant Week LunchTheOutofDowntownerDined on 8/13/2014Restaurant week lunch. Oceanaire's portions are ample. My fellow diner had a much better meal experience than I did and the service overall was lacking. We had finished our first course, clam chowder for my buddy and a Caesar for me and about to start our main course when the bread showed up. We declined--that bread would have been great with the soup and salad. At desert, the server never brought my buddy a fork, so he got one from another table. As for the food, the chowder was declared the "best ever," and my Caesar (w/anchovies) was very good. The fish tacos my buddy ate were declared excellent, while my mussels and fries were a real disappointment. The key lime pie and raspberry sorbet were both large portions and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely DeliciousFreeash88Dined on 8/12/2014My boyfriend and I went to the Oceanaire Seafood Room for Restaurant Week. I actively participate twice a year but my bf was new to the party. So i wanted to pick a place that I thought he'd have a good first time experience. Oceanaire did not disappoint. We were brought a sample of the shrimp ceviche for being first timers. Yum! I followed that with the amazing Clam Chowder while he had the Caesar Salad. As an entree I had the Cornbread Stuffed Rainbow Trout with Spinach & Scallions. It was very good. He had the Swordfish with Sweet Potato Hash and Peaches. My boyfriend is a very picky eater and he absolutely loved his food. Had Key Lime Pie (heaven) and Cheesecake for dessert. Overall great dining experience. Will return!!!Special Features:
- Nice place, good food...NaomiDined on 8/12/2014They greeted and seated me as soon as I walked in (I was early for my reservation). The waiter was very pleasant and attentive. He brought a sample appetizer (tequila shrimp ceviche) as it was my first time dining here. Very good! I had the ceasar salad (delicious), the scottish salmon, and the pecan ball for dessert. The salmon was a little underdone for my taste and not well seasoned. I was a little bothered by my needing to add salt but it did help. The veggies under the salmon were very tasty and well seasoned and also provided a nice sauce to dip the salmon in. The pecan ball was different but still good, however, I would go for the key lime pie next time. I would visit this restaurant again just to try a different entree and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/12/2014Excellent service and outstanding food. It was a perfect date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical, as usualToolsmithDined on 8/12/2014Entering Oceanaire is like voyaging 60 or 70 years back in time - to a more leisurely time, where restaurateurs were infinitely solicitous. And as a bonus, the food is excellent. We try to visit at least once a year and every visit provides another reason to come back.Special Features:
- Thank you, Thank you, Thank youNenaDined on 8/11/2014An excellent food menu, and outstanding and professional customer service. Thank you NenaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blc22Dined on 8/11/2014Every year during the " Restaurant Week", we choose an upscale restaurant to visit. All of those restaurants have been very considerate with the patrons in offering a good menu, even though during that week restaurants charge only $20.oo plus tax and gratuity for a fix menu. But I must say that your restaurant week menu was a disappointment . Tacos with a lot of salad in it and a sample of fish or a meat sandwich, accompanied by french fries. It reminded me of a fast food restaurant. Having a good menu should be a way of promoting the restaurant, like the Capital Grill restaurant for example, they really do know how to do business. Their menu for the restaurant week is excellent.
- Love coming back here everytimeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014This is my wife's favorite seafood restaurant in DC. We used to go to mccormick and schmick's but stopped because the service was so bad. The service at oceanair has always been the best. The food amazing. Definitely a great place to go for those special occasions (i.e. wife's birthday)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissatisfiedJimfcVIPDined on 8/9/2014My wife and Iooked forward to having dinner here on our last evening in Washington. We were greatly dissappointed by our experience. My salmon was over cooked and dry. My side dish of spinich was bland and tasetless. While our waiter was nice, service was slow and abrupt with food literally dropped on the table. Worse still, was that for all of this, the food and wine was greatly over priced. I would not go back and would not recommend this place to anyone else.
- Another Great DinnerSkipDined on 8/8/2014When visiting DC we try and have dinner there. The first time we didn't have a reservation and had dinner at the bar. Enjoyed that and subsequent trips we have made reservations well in advance. We have especially enjoyed the great selection of fish which is always prepared to our wishes. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but priceyaldente58VIPDined on 8/7/2014Oceanaire is the place to go for the widest variety of excellent seafood. But I still balked at a lunch menu with several fish offerings priced at $40 or more for a simply grilled fillet, no matter how fresh or excellent it may be. So I went with oysters rockefeller and an oyster po' boy, and both were fine -- expensive too, but they did not break the bank.Special Features:
- Great food - service needs workHaze5Dined on 8/6/2014I took our staff there for a dinner after a conference, the food was excellent. All the meals came out exactly as ordered and the desserts were divine. Our service staff however neglected us once the main course had arrived. We had to work hard to get her attention to order dessert and again to get the billSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business meetingsBillDined on 8/4/2014Great restaurant to bring colleagues or clients toSpecial Features:
- bradshaw123VIPDined on 8/3/2014My food was great. I think they have the best shrimp and grits in the city.Special Features:
- Birthday GirlMochaFoodieDined on 8/2/2014I had an awesome birthday celebration at Oceanaire Seafood Room in DC. The food was beyond my wildest expectations. I had great food and pretty drinks. What more can a girl ask?Special Features:
- JaneDined on 8/2/2014I had the most wonderful time. The service was outstanding, I would/will recommend this restaurant and look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We’ll definitely returnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014My friend and I last dined at the Oceanaire in Denver, CO. We thoroughly enjoyed that experience. The Oceanaire in D.C. is just as good. The food was delicious, and the service was impeccable. We’ll definitely return.Special Features:
- ExperienceRosslynrealtorDined on 8/1/2014I have never had better service EVER! Our server was fabulous, professional and as good as it get! On the other hand our food was good but not truly hot. We were early and the food came out very fast which was nice but it was luke warm not hot. We ate it but at $16-$17 for an appetizer it should be heated properly. Crème brulee was a but burned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved loved loved!loveGOODfoodDined on 7/31/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday, just to try something new...it was AMAZING!! The food is great, the service was great, the wine is great. We loved it.Special Features:
- Pleasant eveningMikeVIPDined on 7/31/2014Nice venue for a dinner. Great menu, high quality food. The wait staff is very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingNanafrogDined on 7/29/2014We were celebrating my daughters 30th birthday and I must say she really enjoyed the surprise. Great place for this as we were able to enjoy without the embarrassment of the entire restaurant joining in!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, lacking in serviceChrisDined on 7/26/2014The good was great. But we had to practically hunt down our waiter to get drinks, and place our order.I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoscoeVIPDined on 7/26/2014There were 7 of us and we had a great time. Our waiter was very much into dining as entertainment, which I do not like. He was great at upselling and was quite clear that he would "pour the wine until we told him to stop," which of course meant he would not ask if we wanted another bottle but simply bring it. The thing that bothered me was that I had to ask for iced tea refill 3-4 times before he or any of the servers brought it. This is a minor but very irritating thing when the check is going to be hundreds of dollars. Otherwise the food was very good and we were not rushed despite the fact that the restaurant was full.Special Features:
- DeliciousFoodieDined on 7/18/2014The service and food were both phenomenal. I would definitely recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointingHappy2dineDined on 7/18/2014They have drastically declined in quality and caliber. I made a reservation and let the restaurant know that I was celebrating my husband's birthday, however we arrived on time and our table was not ready. we were ushered to a tiny table in a packed row of tables and had to request a switch to a nicer table. No one ever wished my husband a happy birthday and we were not given a birthday dessert. Our meals took forever and they were not hot. I ordered a steak and the temperature was overcooked which left the meat flavorless. For this sort of restaurant I expect much more custom service and attentiveness. I also expect the food to be well prepared and flavorful which it has been in the past but definitely was not that night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014nice atmosphere with great food. The service was great!Special Features:
- OkaySecondBaseDined on 7/17/2014Crabcakes and surf and turf were excellent. Caesar salad tasted strange: too much olive oil, maybe? Could be a matter of taste. Our server seemed to be overloaded. He was visible around the room, but we didn't see him at our table much.
- Good food, all very fresh but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014Great fish and crab cakes. It was very noisy, especially anywhere near the barSpecial Features:
- chicken of the seaFrancohileVIPDined on 7/12/2014Had been waiting for a special occasion to try this place out. Not much for "chain" restaurants, but the quality here was exceptional. Ordered whole fish X 2. waiter was embarassed that only one was still available. Nor problem,had the carb cakes: stupendous. The remaining fish came out fried when we had ordred it grilled. Manager was gracious. We ordred something else and they sent the fried whoel fish home at no cost. Dessert was also free as it was our anniversary. Despite the missteps by the kitchen staff, this was a great experience and we'd go back in a heart beat. In fact we're taking 10 fmaily members next week for the annual lobser special. Great service, pretty space, and high quality food. Try it out! NOW!Special Features:
- Disappointed with mealgclaireDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I wanted to visit a seafood restuarant in DC for our anniversary. The blue cheese salad wedge salad was excellent, and we both ordered the mixed seafood grill. The scallop had a slight 'ammonia' taste to it, indicating that it wasn't fresh. The crabmeat stuffing on the schrimp was dry. and the piece of fish (undeterminable type) had a 'fishy' taste. Definately not worth the $$. I had better food in the Outer Banks for half the price a few weeks ago.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/11/2014Marco, our server was very knowledgeable about the entire menu and assisted us in selecting new dishes we never tried. The service was flawless and the food and presentation was excellent as well.Special Features:
- Outstanding food! Seafood AwsomeOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/10/2014I would highly recommend Oceanaire Seafood Room---the best seafood in town and you get your monies worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- phxvisitorDined on 7/8/2014I eat at Oceanaire every time I travel to Washington and it is always delicious. The food is superb, as is the service.Special Features:
- Order the Crabcakestm2000VIPDined on 7/5/2014I am a tough critic of crab cakes, but the ones served at Oceanaire are some of the best I've ever had. This was a pricey, special occasion dinner that was close to the location of all my dining companions. Everyone was pleased with their meals (others ordered scallops with risotto and trout) and the service was excellent. Negatives were the noise level, which made it hard to hold a conversation. Also, don't believe the description on the menu that the chocolate cake with carmel sauce serves two - it would serve a small army.Special Features:
- Excellent service and good food1docDined on 7/2/2014Our dining experience was excellent; had not been there in a few years and was reminded how much I enjoy dining there. The waiters were THE BEST; even graciously dealt with our spill of red wine on white table cloth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBillDined on 7/2/2014Superb service and outstanding food. I have been a regular fan for a long time and have never had a bad experience.Special Features:
- sw1089VIPDined on 7/2/2014Great seafood but v. Pricy. The sourdough bread is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.