The Inn at Penn
3611 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pennerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2158236222x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Eileen Watkin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Penne offers a private dining room accommodating up to 16 guests. Tailored menus and accommodations available for group lunches, dinners, corporate events or special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Kelly Delaney 2158236222x2119
A word from Penne Restaurant
Penne is a modern Italian restaurant with an emphasis on fresh, handmade pastas that are served in a fun, stylish dining room. An extensive wine program, featuring selections by the glass or flight, compliments the outstanding bar menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Penne Restaurant - Best Restaurants in University City ›
Penne Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (9)great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (8)notable wine list (6)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (3)romantic (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- As a visitor - we have dinedtmanDined on 5/13/2013As a visitor - we have dined in this venue numerous times over the years-- Enjoy and friendly serviceSpecial Features:
- Italian plusTigritoDined on 5/11/2013Three of us had different selections and we were all highly satisfied. The pasta dishes are always excellent, but this trip I tried the scallops which were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favourite in PhillyBobetteVIPDined on 5/9/2013I really love everything about this restaurant. The small bar is cozy with a great bartender and the food never disappoints. I can't eat anything with gluten and Penne goes above and beyond in making sure everything is perfect for anyone with food allergies. I had gluten free pasta with a creamy mixed variety of mushroom sauce that was top notch. My husband had wild mushroom ravioli with a side of sautéed kale and garlic. Both dishes were excellent. We've eaten there many times and are never disappointed. Two thumbs up to chef and staff at Penne.Special Features:
- Excellent service and FoodSonyaDDined on 5/3/2013I like how the kitchen was open in the front and you can see them cooking your food. it was a very quiet atmosphere, the food was excellent, the servings was more then enough and was seasoned really well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I eat at Penne regularly becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/18/2013I eat at Penne regularly because it is one of the few restaurants close in proximity to my job. The food is hit or miss. This night it missed.Special Features:
- Very slow service for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/16/2013Very slow service for lunch when we were only ones there when we arrived.
- Service and ambiance wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/14/2013Service and ambiance were good. The salads were well prepared and tasty. Of the three main dishes ordered, one was excellent, one was very good, and one had very little taste.
- Italian Gem @ Inn at Penn HotelDonnVIPDined on 4/13/2013Reservation for two on Saturday night, 4/13/13, at 6:00. Second time there. At that hour, not busy, so "noise level" was very quiet. Got busier by the time we left, but still a quiet noise level. Service outstanding, and food very good. Prices reasonable for what you get and a decent value. Would return again.Special Features:
- A real hidden gem!DIRKVIPDined on 4/9/2013A stunning room! Food was prepared beautifully. Loved the prefix menus. Wine bar with many by the glass. Quiet enough to talk. Romantic enough to look into your sweety's eyes. Loved everything about the Inn at Penn and especially Penne.Special Features:
- Food was great. Good wellresn22VIPDined on 4/6/2013Food was great. Good well present dItalian with interesting ingredients.All 6 of us even a picky eater found something.Special Features:
- Wouldn't survive in South Philly...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2013Penne is overpriced. The only competition is the University (fculty) Club upstairs. The food is mediocre; only the location keeps it in business.
- I loved this restaurant andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/25/2013I loved this restaurant and would definitely come back. This restaurant is within a hotel and the lighting was the right setting not to bright and not to dark. There were both tables and booths creating a cozy atmosphere. The service was wonderful warm and friendly from the moment I arrived. As far as the food it was very good me and my friend shared fried calamari it was nice and golden and very tender. My entree was sweet potato ravioli in a cream sauce it was delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious! Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2013My boyfriend and I dined here one Friday night and had a wonderful time. Penne far exceeded our expectations. All dishes were served promptly and with beautiful presentation. We loved the ricotta appetizer, the bolognese pasta dish, the duck tenderloin, and the custard dessert. Our server was friendly and attentive, and the chef even came over to our table to ensure we were pleased with our food. What a nice touch! All in all it was a great dining experience and we'll be sure to return and recommend Penne to our friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were staying at the InnOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/20/2013We were staying at the Inn at Penn and so had reservations at Penne for conveniences' sake. But the service and the meal was as good as any we might hope for had this been a "destination". We had fresh and interesting salads, delicious ristotto and complex, tasty wild mushroom ragu rigatoni. Both our waiter and the maitre d' brought professionalism and warmth to the table - happily omitting the awful "hi, I'm xx. I'll be your waiter tonight."
- Lovely restaurant but theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2013Lovely restaurant but the service was very slow. They seemed understaffed. Our meals would have been delicious but my salmon was very undercooked and inedible. When I asked if the chef would please cook it more, they threw my perfectly good but rare salmon away, cooked another fish and brought that to me totally undercooked as well. I has finished the rest of my meal by then so I never ate the salmon. The manager did not charge me for the salmon which was nice but he did not seem bothered by the poor service or the waste b
- We were a party of 5 welcomingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2013We were a party of 5 welcoming a new staff person to the department. We all ordered pasta dishes: 2 gnocchi, 2 shrimp fusilli and the other ravioli. the shrimp fusilli came without the shrimp and had to be returned to the kitchen. Our waitress never apologized or commented at all. We all noticed that the portions were EXTREMELY small - they actually looked like an appetizer portion, not a lunch portion. Except for the bread on the table, there was no other food; no salad along side the entree. Had we known, we might have ordered a salad. While the food was well-prepared and tasty, we did not feel it was enough. Our waitress never asked if we wanted dessert; we had to ask for menus. We were very disappointed.
- Perfect for dinner beforeSnickersDined on 3/16/2013Perfect for dinner before the Annenberg. Incredibly delicious salads.
- Just an OK restaurant.tonybDined on 3/16/2013I thought it was funny that the name of the restaurant was named "Penne" and they didn't serve Penne pasta. The pasta was just OK. Nothing special. Didn't taste like home-made as claimed. The martini glass was small compared to the price they charged for a drink. Overall the service was good.
- The food was outstanding,sueannDined on 3/15/2013The food was outstanding, and service was good. The noise level was a bit high as the restaurant got busy and dinner was a bit pricey.Special Features:
- The garden salad was delicious.dininglocalVIPDined on 3/7/2013The garden salad was delicious. For some reason they had to cook my steak 3x so everyone else was almost done with their meals. They didn't charge for it but the shoestring potatoes were dry/overcooked and the warm chocolate tort a was not warm so overall it was a disappointing lunch. It will be a while before I will eat there again.
- The food at Penne never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/5/2013The food at Penne never disappoints. This is the restaurant we like to take all of our out of town visitors from other Universities or from Pharmaceutical companies. However, the portion sizes are getting smaller and smaller! I know its lunch and all... but still. If i'm paying $14 for a pasta dish, I want to be at least a little bit full when I leave. Oh well... it's still delicious and I'll keep coming back.Special Features:
- We were here for lunch. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/28/2013We were here for lunch. The lunch portions are just perfect. Homemade pasta is delicious, gnocchi was light and tasty. I did enjoy the grilled scallops.Special Features:
- Penne for your thoughtsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/27/2013Very convenient to Annenberg Theater complex-right across the street. Service was a little slow, and we had made it clear we were going to the theater. Food very fresh, and nice mixture of flavors, but it was a little difficult to find heart-healthy selections, or smaller portions for those of us who are concerned with health issues, and also who don't want to fall asleep in the theater after a large meal, or cart around half a filet of cooked fish to the theater. We have been to other Italian restaurants which specify heart-healthy selections and portion control. Otherwise it was fine.Special Features:
- Good for business lunchesJannaRapDined on 2/19/2013This place is rather pricey but the food is good and it is very conveniently located on the UPenn campus. It is perfect for business lunch meetings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Other than poor service, nothinghoward2VIPDined on 2/16/2013Other than poor service, nothing was really wrong here. there is just nothing interesting about it. I will not hurry back...maybe for lunch.Special Features:
- Very nice place, an averageNeatPlaceDined on 2/15/2013Very nice place, an average restaurant that is a little on the expensive side.
- A Valentine's Place to EatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013I started looking for restaurants too late for Valentine's Day and this one was the only one that had tables. I thought because of location across from U of Penn that it would not be very fancy. However, it was quite elegant and very appropriate for a Valentine's night dinner.Special Features:
- Hostess looked bored and jaded.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/5/2013Hostess looked bored and jaded. Waiter was nice but he was so busy, taking on too many tables. Looked harried but was helpful and courteous.Special Features:
- Amazing how this place canOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/21/2013Amazing how this place can even ruin pasta (ravioli had crust so thick it felt like a sticky sandwich, the sauce tasted like Krafts cheesefood. But it is convenient for Penn people meeting hotel visitors, so it does a certain amount of business
- Excellent pre-show dinner.JImmyDined on 1/19/2013Excellent pre-show dinner. Thru no fault of Penne, we were running late and had no time for the included dessert. The manager encourage us to return after the show for the dessert, which we did. On our return, we were greeted enthusiastically - served dessert and coffee and after trying to pay for the coffee, was told it was on Penne. Terrific experience and will return for pre-show dinner next performance.Special Features:
- The service and food wereJosephVIPDined on 1/11/2013The service and food were vey good. We recommend Penne.Special Features:
- No one at my table enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012No one at my table enjoyed their food. I actually ordered the gnocchi and could not even eat it because it was way too sweet. The food was overpriced for the quality. I will say that the server was attentive and the enviornment was nice, but I will never go there again.Special Features:
- after leaving the restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/14/2012after leaving the restaurant, we realized that we'd been overcharged. when we returned to correct it, we were immediately reimbursed, and told that we were the third group to whom that had happened. this is the first time this has happened to us. i eat here often before going to annenberg, and usually the experience is excellent.Special Features:
- Warm receptionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/14/2012Warm reception to start a wonderfully delicious meal served by attentive wait-staff.Special Features:
- The service was slow. We,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/14/2012The service was slow. We, party of four, arrived at 6:00PM. Salads weren't served until 6:40PM. We rushed through dessert inorder to make a 8:00 performance at Annenberg Center.Special Features:
- Not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2012The Calamari was pretty good, although a little salty. I had the crab special for the night and when it arrived, I could hardly find any crab bits. (They should have named it crab surprise!). The meal on the whole was just average, no wow; nothing to write home about.
- It was a Thursday night andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/6/2012It was a Thursday night and there was no Valet. Restaurant was not crowded and yet we felt particularly rushed. We dine out frequently and felt that this restaurant was just "ok" and overpriced.
- Good food and great service.SundayDined on 12/1/2012Good food and great service. Booth seats a little low but enjoyed itSpecial Features:
- Penne is an adequate restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2012Penne is an adequate restaurant, nothing more. Our meal certainly was not special. At the prices (we paid $180 for 4 with only two glasses of wine), it is not a good value. My seafood risotto was watery and a little bland. Overall, service was better than the food.
- Good food, but loud. OpenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2012Good food, but loud. Open spaces allow all noises to travel.Special Features: