MacArthur Park - Palo Alto
27 University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
MacArthur Park - Palo Alto
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.macarthurparkpaloalto.com/
- Phone: 6503219990x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm- 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Faz Poursohi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available for groups any size ranging from simple drop offs to fully staffed events. We cater corporate and personal events at just about any location. Call the Banquets line for menus and more details.
- Entertainment: Happy Hour Menu from 4:00 to 6:30 Monday through Friday.
- Special Events: Wedding receptions and larger events are hosted at MacArthur Park which can easily hold 200+ guest. We host everything from a young childs birthday party to large corporate dinners. "We are pros at special events
A word from MacArthur Park - Palo Alto
Palo Alto neighborhood favorite MacArthur Park relaunched in April 2008 with the original chef and owner. Faz Poursohi (of Faz Restaurants) and Restaurateur Chuck Frank (formerly with Spectrum Foods, owner of 16 upscale eateries) are at the helm and have revitalized this historic landmark designed by Julia Morgan in 1918. The revitalized menu features Faz' award-winning Oakwood Smoked California BBQ Baby Back Ribs, mesquite grilled meats and fresh fish. Special features include signature cocktails, the MacArthur Park famous potato skins and onion strings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
MacArthur Park - Palo Alto - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
MacArthur Park - Palo Alto reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (23)special occasion (18)romantic (13)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (8)notable wine list (8)fit for foodies (8)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- The Charm is GonedowntowndinerVIPDined on 5/1/2014MacArthur Park used to be a vibrant and upscale place, but not anymore. We went on a Thursday evening which is typically a busy night for Palo Alto restaurants; this place had only two other tables filled and it looked like a vacant warehouse. It smelled very musty and everything (floors, columns, etc.) was in bad need of refurbishing. They charged for valet parking and the lot was basically empty. Too bad because with proper ownership this could be a gem but the party is over.
- Lovely mealSassyCatDined on 4/29/2014This gem of a restaurant is a little off the beaten path, so consequently it is not as thunderously packed and loud and many restaurants in Palo Alto, so we enjoyed a lovely dinner with friends in front of the fireplace, and we did not have to shout to be heard. We felt as if we were in a lovely guest house. The historic building is very interesting and provides a gracious ambience. The food was very good, from my vegetarian choice to the seafood dishes of my companions. They also have a very creditable wine list. This dining experience is not unique for Palo Alto, and I'm glad we still have this choice. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- RegularatthebuffetDined on 4/20/2014As usual the food was great. The buffet service is always a nice experience with tasty food which they keep fresh and hot. As usual also the deserts were bland and uninspired. The service is hit-or-miss because each time we go (for special holiday occasions) there are always new servers. Our guy was nice but not very attentive, never refilled our drinks and the check came after a long wait.Special Features:
- Good food, nice atmosphereGogiantsDined on 4/20/2014I've been to three brunches at MacArthur Park, and they've all been really good. I love the grilled food and house-smoked salmon. Everything else is very tasty. They don't have a huge quantity of food, but everything is really good. If I had a complaint its just that they appear to be a bit understaffed, so drink refills and plate cleanup takes a while. Parking is a hassle - be prepared to park in the CalTrain lot, or valet it. Despite those little things, I would still look forward to going back for a special occasion brunchSpecial Features:
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2014This is the second time my family has enjoyed Easter Brunch at MacArthur Park. The food is great and the servers were very attentive. We live across the bay and have not had a chance to eat dinner here but plan to in the future.Special Features:
- Cool PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014McArthur Park was a very cool place. Had a great verity of food, will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Always a good choiceGiants12Dined on 4/13/2014Went to dinner with my wife and was pleased with our choice. The hostess sat us immediately and the server (Joseph) was quickly attentive. Our wine and drink order were returned to the table promptly. The prime rib was excellent. Had to ask for horseradish but otherwise runner was good. Food was cooked as ordered, the right temperature to eat at the table, and delicious. Was a bit disappointed by the mud pie. Very small portion ( the coffee grounds inside the ice cream was a nice touch) and no whipped cream. Other places are better. Will come back soon.Special Features:
- MemoriesDianaDined on 4/5/2014My friend used to come with her husband who died about a year ago and wanted to relive the memories. I had always wanted to go because I had heard about MacArthur Park. Both of us were delighted with the experienceSpecial Features:
- Our meal was very good butLIndaVIPDined on 3/16/2014Our meal was very good but the service was a bit slow. We had to ask several times for coffee, iced tea. The waiter was very nice but seemed to be taking care of tables across the room.Special Features:
- Great barbecueRositaDined on 3/15/2014The barbecued ribs and chicken great as is the service. We are so happy that the original owner has returned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great rib and BBQ specialJoelVIPDined on 3/12/2014For 2 people this tastes great and is enough for 3 or 4.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little toughBabsalaDined on 3/7/2014I like the menu here, especially the BBQ 1/2 chicken, that is what has brought me back several times. I was disappointed this time however between the toughness of the chicken and the less than attentive service. My chicken was extremely hard to cut. I tried another knife with no difference. I had hoped the server would come by and check with us, but she never did and was not even on the floor during our dinner. I struggled but was not happy. Our server did not check with us until we were about done. Too late. Next time , if there is a next time, will ask for the 3 pieces to be cut apartSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerGeorgeVIPDined on 3/1/2014We had a lovely dinner here on a Saturday evening, with a party of three. We didn't do a lot of sharing this time, so I can only comment on my own selections: I started with the stuffed pasilla pepper was extraordinary. Not too much cheese, but an excellent balance. My entree was the Petaluma roasted chicken, also excellent. One disappointment was the dessert, which we all three shared. We selected the brownie with ice cream since one of us was craving ice cream. She was happy with that part, but the brownie was old and dry -- perhaps it had been prepared for use earlier in the week? This really stood out as an error since everything else had been great.Special Features:
- Fine DininghalharbDined on 2/28/2014Service was prompt and done by courteous and attentive staff. Our individual requests were honored effectively and efficiently. Table was kept neat and clean throughout the experience. The overall environment was pleasant and suitable for quiet conversation. The food was appropriately prepared and served punctually. As this was our first experience with MacArthur Park I will return often and do recommend them highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite in Palo Alto2goeatDined on 2/24/2014This place is outstanding for dinners with groups... great outdoor area and bar (if weather is good). Easy parking and good location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great after all these yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/23/2014We went for the Sunday nigh prime rib special. A fabulous buy. The prime rib was excellent. The tower of onion strings is always perfect. The hostess stopped at our table and I told her that I didn't like my asparagus. She immediately sent over a order if some of the best sauteed spinach I've ever had. My cocktail, something with blood orange and pomegrante, was perfect--fruity and cold and delicious. I've been going to this restaurant for decades and will continue to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great quiet place to haveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/21/2014A great quiet place to have a dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot for a groupdinerVIPDined on 2/21/2014festive atmosphere, waiter was A++, something on the menu for everyone. went with a group of varying ages and everyone enjoyed it. treat yourself to the $5 valet parking!Special Features:
- Don't bother!LJB1VIPDined on 2/18/2014A gout of six of us went to MacArthur Park for a birthday celebration. We hand't been there since the restaurant's heyday, and won't go back again. The service was pretty good, but the food was beyond mediocre.
- MacArthur ParkRobertDined on 2/15/2014The waitress, Laura, was probably the most arregant one we've ever had. This was the main problem. We even had to ask twice for water and when we were done, she didn't even bring the bill she told the busboy to do it because we saw her hanging out at the bar and watched it happen.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/14/2014We went in for dinner on valentine's day and there was set menu. The options were very good and we had the chicken cordon bleu and the surf and turf. Both dishes were exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent happy hour, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Excellent happy hour, food and device very good, special Valentine's Day with limited menu and higher prices was the only negative part of the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodJohnDined on 2/2/2014Service by Michael, the bartender, was great. The beers on tap are great as are the wines by the glass. My wife had the Filet Mignon and it was great as was my burger with all the fixings. If you go there on a Sunday night, sit at the bar and have Michael serve you. He is very nice.Special Features:
- The food was very good. HoweverRUTHYKVIPDined on 1/31/2014The food was very good. However the serves was very slow. This was pointed out to us by friends who had recently dinned there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Service/Meal Ever!GoodfoodVIPDined on 1/23/2014We had eaten here may times over the years and the food and service was great, so we thought we stop by since we were in the area. Never again, they must have changed hands. The service was terrible and the food was not even as good as cafeteria food. The calamari we had was like rubber and the steak we asked for medium came out well done with no flavor. We asked if they had tartar for the calamari and the waiter said they did not have that even though they had three fish on the menu, but said that there was some kind of sauce that came with it. So stay away from here, there are plenty of better restaurants in the area.
- Love the old time charm1756249024Dined on 1/22/2014One of the few affordable restaurants in Palo Alto that stood the test of time.Special Features:
- no longer vibrantScoutyVIPDined on 1/18/2014Years ago, MacArthur Park was a vibrant, busy, energetic restaurant. The building itself it one of my favorites, one large white beamed open space. This time, only one side of the restaurant had customers, and that was only half full (on Saturday night). The food was good, but more characteristic of a less expensive grill yet the prices were not inexpensive. I still love the character of MacArthur Park, but won't necessarily return. Think it needs a menu overall. Times have changed. Needs to have more healthy alternatives, re-invent itself.
- Good PlaceIluv2eatDined on 1/13/2014Food was good, waitress was very pleasant and helpful...The place looks like an upscale barn with huge open spaces and chandeliers...it needs a lot of people to make it temperature wise warm...we arrived about 6pm and the young woman graciously asked us if we would like to sit near the fire...thank goodness we said yes...it was a gas minimal heat, but it was better than cold, cold,cold..............The restaurant is a bit difficult to find if you are not familiar with the area (even with a gps).........the parking attendant was great........Special Features:
- Home style settingJohnDined on 1/12/2014Open and comfortable feeling. I like it. The servers were very nice and the food was great. I had a burger, fries, and some veggies. Fresh and hot. Very nice. - AJSpecial Features:
- MacArthur pkBondDined on 1/11/2014Have not been hee for over 10 yrs. Used to go very often in the 90's and 2000's. Remembered the place as vibrant with great ribs. Farfrom vibrant, and the food was really poor....cold ribs and tasteless..... Main course arrives mid way through the starter....unacceptable, especially as the place was only about 70 % full Would not recommend.
- R1FillmoreDined on 1/9/2014Nice place, got a bit drafty, ribs were sweeter than they used to be ( not good), too much dressing on the Cobb salad, burger started well but the juices eventually made the bun soggy. Had to request mustardSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unacceptable ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/31/2013We were very disappointed with the service/food that we received. I had to ask on four different times for water, I ordered the surf/turf and the lobster tail was served with no drawn butter/lemon. We ordered the NY Cheesecake with strawberry preserve and received strawberry sauce. The overall food and service was very disappointing...
- Great food and great servicePeterVIPDined on 12/31/2013Had thanksgiving meal there, was so impressed so we went back for New Year's Eve. Coincidentally, we got the same waiter (Auriliani?) - he is just wonderful. Our food was great, service was even better. High recommend this historic place!Special Features:
- Some items were gonePsychnurseDined on 12/25/2013Dinner was being served until 8. When we arrived at 7 the crab legs were gone. When we got to dessert the cheesecake was missing from the table, but apparently did make an appearance later. What was there, was very, very good. No complaints at all about that. I was very pleased, and surprised, that I was seated before the rest of the party arrived. I had heard that MacArthur Park only sat you when all had arrived. I hope that is a policy change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good selection for Christmas buffetcupertinokimsDined on 12/25/2013Popular, crowded, noisy but okay for holidays. Limited choices for food but we'll done. A few gems. Good coffee. Mandatory service charge for a buffet makes it that much more pricey.Special Features:
- Christmas Eve at Mac ParkChatRev5Dined on 12/24/2013Beautiful surroundings, roaring fire, attentive wait staff, excellent food...could not have asked for more. We enjoyed Thanksgiving Day Brunch here too...just as wonderful. Recommend to everyone.Special Features:
- So disappointed!FoodLoverVIPDined on 12/23/2013Many hears ago my husband and I both enjoyed frequenting MacArthur Park, enjoying their signature Catfish dish and is extremely creative presentation upon our plate. We found ourselves there with work friends, colleagues, and our own date nights. Fast forward 14 years and we went back hoping for the same wonderful atmosphere and food. NO SUCH LUCK! The food was mediocre and the bar service was embarrassing. We had to send 3 drinks back because they kept getting our order wrong. It was so disappointing because we brought our out of town family and were looking forward to a satiating meal. Needless to say - we won't be returning. If you want a good steak you'd be better off at Sundance or Flemings.
- prime rib is terrific! cobyum123VIPDined on 12/22/2013prime rib is terrific! cob salad seems smaller than it has been in the past. service is not very attentive, hard time to flag down our server, any server.Special Features:
- MacArthur ParkOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/22/2013The food was good, the restaurant was decorated for Christmas and looked nice, service was slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a special placeACTS238Dined on 12/20/2013Steaks are Great-Ask for mashed potato's with a medium rare steak-Awesome! Service is very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.