Station House Cafe
11180 Highway One
Point Reyes Station, CA 94956Neighborhood:
Point Reyes Station
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Station House Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stationhousecafe.com/
- Phone: 4156631515x
- Hours of Operation:
Serving breakfast, lunch & dinner six days a week. Closed Wednesdays. Open Thursday through Tuesday 8AM - 3:30PM and 5PM-9PM; Bar menu available from 3:30-5PM. Closed Wednesdays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Wayne Pratt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Planning a reunion on the beach? A break from the daily office routine? Delicious boxed lunches are available for groups to go - please order in advance.
We specialize in on-site weddings, rehearsal dinners, receptions & family reunions. Our garden patio, private dining room, or entire facility are available for private celebrations.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room available for up to 32 guests. Our outdoor patio is also an ideal setting for garden parties and receptions for up to 75 guests. Also, the entire restaurant, bar and garden may be rented for private parties for groups up to 120.
- Private Party Contact: Sheryl Cahill 4156631515x
- Entertainment: LIVE Music-Every Sunday at 5pm - no cover. For full calendar listing: www.stationhousecafe.com/music
- Special Events: please visit our website at www.stationhousecafe.com/community
- Cross Street: Mesa Road
- Public Transit: West Marin Coach travels twice daily from Central Marin.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: In addition to street parking, The Station House Cafe has a private lot located in the back of the building with access through a garden path to the dining room.
A word from Station House Cafe
Station House Cafe celebrates a 40th anniversary in 2014! Best known for great food, friendly service and gorgeous outdoor garden dining, the Station House Cafe, established in 1974, is situated amid the beauty and bounty of West Marin at the gateway to the Point Reyes National Seashore. With a long-standing emphasis on fresh and local, the menu features sustainable seafood; organic produce – some from the cafe’s own gardens – and Niman Ranch beef and lamb with classic American cuisine as the central theme. Music lovers will appreciate some of the Bay Area’s best musicians as they swing by to entertain in the Station House Lounge on Sunday afternoons. A private dining room is available for special events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Station House Cafe - Best Restaurants in Point Reyes Station ›
Station House Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)great for outdoor dining (40)great for lunch (34)fit for foodies (33)kid-friendly (33)great for brunch (27)good for groups (25)vibrant bar scene (17)special occasion (14)hot spot (10)romantic (8)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- This was a wonderful littleebugVIPDined on 9/20/2013This was a wonderful little neighborhood restaurant. The Mushroom Polenta was spectacular, and the Burrata was absolutely The Best that we have ever had!! Nice atmosphere- Point Reyes is a "hidden gem" on the California coast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster CountryOutandabout71Dined on 9/19/2013We enjoyed their fried calamari. We appreciated the fact that it was ALL calamari and a generous amount too. We ordered a satisfying Fried Oyster Po'Boy Sandwich and a bowl of oyster stew. The stew was sublime. The oysters were tender and plump. The vegetable mixture and oysters were sitting on top of the cream...I was glad that the cream was not mixed in with the oysters and vegetables, I was able to control the amount of cream I drank. Even though the rich cream was delicious enough to lift the bowl to ones mouth ( and I wanted to) most of it had to be left behind. We are planning a trip back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in great little townSusanVIPDined on 9/3/2013Our group of sophisticated eaters had a delicious lunch. It was difficult to choose from the great selections on the wide-ranging menu. The oysters on the half-shell were incredibly fresh and deliciously briny and sweet. The steamed mussels were plump and tender and cooked to perfection in a delicious broth; the oyster stew with cream, chard, leeks, mushrooms, potato, and very tender oysters was complex, well-balanced, and delectable; and the mushroom sandwich, which was topped with bacon and egg was very good. All were very carefully prepared. Very attentive wait staff.Special Features:
- Always fabulousAmySFDined on 8/31/2013I've been coming here for many years, and the food has always been wonderful, fresh, organic, local, and if anything seems to be getting better! Great seafood - fish, mussels. Great chef, friendly servers who didn't seem too harried despite incredibly busy night. Interesting cocktails. Will always return when I'm in Pt Reyes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still awesome flyer all these yearsPapayaMichalDined on 8/19/2013The Station House Cafe remains a great place for dinner. The food is fresh. Salads, local oysters are tops. If you get the popovers right out of the oven, you're in luck. I don't eat burgers but they looked great. Good drinks and wine choices. They support local produce. Music in the bar. It can get crowded, but there is an outdoor seating area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting Point ReyesOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/17/2013We stopped here on the way back from visiting the light house at Point Reyes. We were starving and were seated immediately. The table next to us had the mac and cheese and it looked really tasty. That inspired my husband to order that. I ordered the po' boy oyster sandwich and my son had the tuna melt. My husband was disappointed that his mac and cheese lacked seasoning. My son was very happy with the tuna melt and I liked the po' boy oyster sandwich. Service was good and the restaurant had a nice ambiance. It was a Saturday and the restaurant was pretty packed still from lunch diners and we arrived around 2:15. If we're ever in the area again, we would visit again.Special Features:
- Food not as good as we hadOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/17/2013Food not as good as we had remembered. Two of the wines we asked for first (including one on tap) were not availableSpecial Features:
- Very nice place but very bland foodfortunateVIPDined on 8/10/2013We were disappointed in the food. Ambience and service were excellent. Fish and chips were soggy and lacked flavor. Squash dish was bland.
- Still Wonderful after all these YeaOMCAFredDined on 8/10/2013We've been going to the Station House for almost two decades, and love a place with a neighborhood vibe that's still friendly to tourists and weekend visitors, serves meals appropriate for special occasions or a quick bite with the kids, and allows us to be comfortable in the jeans and boots we've been hiking in all day. The popovers were just as hot and delicious as they've (almost) always been, and the friendly server offered us more when the kitchen got backed up on a Saturday night and our entrees were late. They don't serve cornbread with the popovers any more, and the old standards are maybe a little too familiar, but oh well. We still love them.Special Features:
- Great!FantasticVIPDined on 8/10/2013We drove to Point Reyes from Sausalito on a beautiful day to have brunch at Station House. The hostess seated us immediately at a perfect table and was gracious and very welcoming. Our server, although informed he was new, was very good. He was professional and on hand if we needed anything. My mother ordered their Classic Eggs Benedict and I ask if the chef could prepare a vegetarian version and they said absolutely. They made mine with sauteed kale in place of the standard Canadian bacon with the poached egg and hollandaise and it was delicious! The hollandaise was light and lemony and wonderful. The crispy potatoes served with it were perfect. The coffee was good and my mother's Bloody Mary she said was spicey and great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed FeelingsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/4/2013The food and service were were good and the music was greatI would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gemOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/3/2013We have come here for years, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and this local treasure just seems to get better and better. The staff is friendly and capable, and we've never been disappointed with a meal. Items like popovers, and polenta with mushrooms are some favorites. A warm and wonderful spot with unexpectedly high quality food.Special Features:
- Apres hiking.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2013Come hungry, you will be rewarded with delicious choices. The kitchen turns out lovely, unpretentious fare in a happy, congenial environment. Save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, but overallOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2013Food was great, but overall service experience wasn't good this time. Which was disappointing because we brought friends with us and had informed about how great this place is. It started at the front desk when phone calls and fed ex packages were being addressed before we were being helped. Not really the gals fault, it's a busy desk at times clearly. Then once seated we got water right away, but it was just shy of 15 mins before anyone came by to ask if we wanted something to drink. Also, the waiter was not very professional which is why I gave the low rating. It's a shame because I really do like this restaurant, but will be taking a break from it until the service gets better.
- Dine instead across the street...IndaknowVIPDined on 7/21/2013Waited almost 5 minutes for someone to show up at the front desk to check us in ::: Slooooowest service experienced all year anywhere, and restaurant was less than half full ::: Food was heavily salted, fresh fruit cup was more like three days old ::: NOT coming back.
- Sweet Find in Point Reyes StationKateDined on 7/19/2013Everything we ordered was delicious. The parsnip soup was incredible so order the bowl, but very filling so order the cup. Delightful presentation. Excellent service. Ambience was "energetic," noise level made conversation a bit trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in Point ReyesHouse20Dined on 7/19/2013The Friday night special is an outstanding bargain: salad, main course and a glass of wine or beer for one price. Nice menu, something for everyone even if you don't want the special.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2013I've eaten here many times over the past 10 years and have always been pleased with the experience. They got our order wrong, the meat was dry and tasteless. We could not even finish eating it. The cold carrot salad I was expecting to be hot cooked carrots was instead an overly vinegary crunchy pile of carrots that were not good at all. They should mention this on the menu. We also rushed from our event to get to our reservation on time. It was earlier than we had wanted but Open Table showed no table available for a 1 1/2 hour time period after that. That wasn't the case. The entire time we were there until we left there must have been 10+ tables that never had anyone seated at them. We won't be going back there any time soon.
- A gem of dining delightTravelgal1Dined on 7/12/2013This is the second time I have been to Road House and it did not disappoint. Each time I have brought visiting family members and they love it as much as I do. The wait staff is freindly, the food varied, local and excellent and I will return again and again.Special Features:
- Almost greatDynastyVIPDined on 7/11/2013Though cheeseburger is supposed to be cooked to your specification, it was quite well done and tough (despite my request that it be medium). Otherwise, food was good.
- Good for breakfastpenmoDined on 7/9/2013We enjoyed our breakfast, particularly I liked my Mexican omelette. We found the fresh local marmalade a great and unexpected treat. Service was efficient though she was not particularly warm in her interactions with us. We would return there when next in Point Reyes area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okaysolomomDined on 7/6/2013We made a recommendation for a Saturday lunch but we needn't have bothered. A group of 3 walked in right after us without a reservation. In fact, they were seated and served before us. The hostess at the front desk did not acknowledge us, rather she took two phone calls for reservations and made those and then hurried off with other groups' credit cards. Only when a passing waiter noticed us were we shown to our table. It took an incredibly long time for our waitress to even take our drinks orders - the group that walked in after us was seated, placed drinks orders and served those drinks before we had even had water! We ordered the hangfry omlette, buttermilk pancakes and white beet salad. Nothing special. No hurry to return.Special Features:
- We couldn't get a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2013We couldn't get a reservation until 8:30 for a Friday night, but the hosts were able to accommodate us Well before then. The service was great and very welcoming. We began our meal with a beet salad which was tasty...just the right amount of dressing. Unfortunately our main meal, the blackened ahi dish was coated in butter, making it difficult to digest the meal. I was also surprised at how white colored this meal was between the potatoes and the ahi. A red sauce of cherry tomatoes or mango would have added a lot compared to the white raisins that dressed The dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, kinda noisyThelmeenaVIPDined on 6/27/2013Busy and noisy but friendly staff and good food. Highly recommend the polentaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was tastywindwishDined on 6/22/2013We ordered the BBQ'd oysters for an appetizer and they were very good. I ordered the Butternut Squash dish and it was really good. I liked the flavors and the portion was huge. My friends ordered the Polenta and the Blue Cheese burger which was equally tasty. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good enoughOaklandDennisVIPDined on 6/21/2013Perfectly ok place if you're in town, but not destination dining.
- Great food, especially popoversOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/16/2013Great food, especially popovers and oysters. Although it is quite pricey given the ordinary decor & ambiance. We enjoyed the nice service and will go back!Special Features:
- Enjoyable outingcontentedDined on 6/14/2013Our group of four adults thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Station House. We were seated immediately (thanks Open Table) and service was prompt and polite. Our order included homemade Macaroni & Cheese (yum), Oysters (they let us order half bbq and half steamed) and mussels. Everything was prepared well, served attractively, and tasted great. This dinner was actually our favorite night out in Point Reyes Station.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its' not nearly as good asfoodie49Dined on 6/14/2013Its' not nearly as good as it used to be. I had the polenta. It's now a vegetarian meal. The plate arrived and the food was cold. I sent it back, and it came back almost warm. My husband had a burger, which he enjoyed very much. I had the peu decreme for dessert. It was not as creamy as I remember it -- almost curdled. The wait-staff was excellent, though and the Café is a hub of activity for Pt. Reyes Station.Special Features:
- Saturday nite outhorsinaroundDined on 6/8/2013We were in town for a horseback ride at Pt Reyes park and this was dinner after. There was a big group outside in the garden which slowed service down a bit, but we didn't mind, since we were there for the weekend with nothing else pressing. We found the food good, the menu eclectic and the bar a busy one. Don't miss the bread pudding, some of the best I have enjoyed in a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice visitnafluxDined on 6/2/2013My wife, daughter and I drove to the Station House Cafe from Saratoga. Mostly, I wanted to try it on the advice of the "Check Please" show. We also planned to explore the area a bit. It was easy to find, and there were plenty of open tables at 3 pm (Sunday). We were seated promptly, and the service was very friendly. The calamari starter was a great idea, and the jalapeno dipping sauce was excellent. The wild mushroom sandwich was a simple, yet clever blend of fried egg, lettuce, bacon dressing over thick bread. Caesar salad was decent, not great. Bread pudding seems to be their best bet for desserts, though they were out of berry pie. Solid food, reasonable prices, not pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant in Point Reyes!BarbaraVIPDined on 5/26/2013Food and ambience is always good. It's a great place to begin an adventure to Point Reyes.Special Features:
- business lunchTukiDined on 5/24/2013Took an out-of-town business associate there for lunch recently. We both had the bleu cheese burgers. Burgers were pretty good; beef was great. The fries though left much to be desired. Wouldn't order those again. Young waitresses were wonderful.Special Features:
- Excellent sea food thoughGDogDined on 5/21/2013Excellent sea food though our server was a little slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is always good. I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2013The food is always good. I've been there many times over the years, and it's always been a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same price as the good restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2013Same price as the good restaurants - Sir & Star, Osteria Stellina - with awful food.
- Sad to see the quality slippingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/12/2013We have visited the Cafe for several years. We went to dinner for Mother's Day. It was busy but no more crowded than some of our prior visits. It took 1 hour and 20 minutes for our main dishes to be served (after ordering). There is no excuse for not planning the cook staff arrangements better. We may have been willing to overlook the delay if the food had stood up to prior visits. Sadly, it didn't. The food was bland, some of it overcooked (burger) or wilted (salad). The last time we came here the standard comfort food mac & cheese was grainy and lukewarm. We thought it was just a one-time problem. Our meal was $100 and not worth it. We will probably return again in the future if we see reviews correcting the downward trend.
- Perfect for Champagne & OystersOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/12/2013We went to Station house for Mothers Day, with the main goal of having Champagne & Oysters. Station house surpassed our expectations on those basics, but floored us with amazing calamary. You must try!! It comes with a Jalepeno-yogurt sauce that is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BreakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/12/2013Our family of 5 went here for breakfast on Mother's Day and it was great! Weather was so nice, we ate outside and the garden was very nice setting. Lots of motorcyclists sat around us, but noise level was pleasant and diffused by plants. Food was excellent! Feta scramble is to die for! Highly recommend for breakfast and lunch. Will be back for dinner next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fresh seafood, shellfish,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/10/2013Excellent fresh seafood, shellfish, local organic produce and cheeses. Casual & welcoming environment. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.