1457 Lincoln Avenue
Calistoga, CA 94515Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jolerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7079425938x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy hour nightly 4-6pm
Dinner: Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,& Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Spector
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: James Cerda 7079425938x
A word from JoLe
JoLe is a Contemporary American Restaurant owned and operated by husband-and-wife team Matt and Sonjia Spector, chef and pastry chef, respectively. JoLe is the couple's second restaurant venture. Their first was the wildly successful, Matyson Restaurant in Philadelphia. The menu changes daily and is designed for flexibility: guests can pop in for a few a la carte dishes, or settle in for a multi course tasting menu that they design themselves. This lends itself well to the casual wine country pace. Matt uses organic, locally farmed ingredients as much as possible. Sonjia's desserts are updated versions of things her mom and grandmother made. Everything on the eclectic wine list is offered by the glass, half bottle, or bottle. The beer list is also fun, consisting of a wide variety of microbrews. JoLe also offers a full bar, specializing in small batch liquors. Even without reservations, bar and chef's counter seats are available on a first come, first serve basisContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
JoLe reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (121)notable wine list (84)special occasion (73)romantic (59)neighborhood gem (58)hot spot (34)good for groups (12)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Reserv not honored once again...Billy2013VIPDined on 7/3/2014Reservation not honored once again. It gets dark 9pm now, so made advanced OT reservation for 9pm dinner. Arrived 9pm & Manager again says that "our table" is just paying their bill & "it should be only a few minutes" & we should wait in the adjoining hotel lobby. He then asked if he could bring us a drink while we were waiting. Another table group was already out waiting in the lobby then too. By 9:15 or so, the manager came out & said "it should be a little longer." Nearer 9:30 he came out with 2 complimentary glasses of wine & a good appetizer that he never asked us if we liked or wanted. By 9:40 or so he got us & said he knew we requested a booth BUT had a "table for 4" open & we could sit near one another (we wanted a booth)...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun ExperienceCupcakeDined on 7/3/2014If you are looking for a big meal not a good place to go. But if you want to have cocktails and tapas it's perfect. It was energetic. Our waiter was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKWinesipperDined on 7/3/2014Pricy for modestly good food. Ingredient quality just average. Noise level excessive, rendering conversation difficult.
- Great meals!LovechowderDined on 7/2/2014Went to JoLe with my husband and our two tween/teen daughters. My younger daughter loved that they have a kids' menu (with fries!) and her food was perfect for her. My older daughter has celiac disease and JoLe was able to accommodate her gluten-free diet with no problems, and without the need for us to give excessive explanations about gluten -- they seemed informed. Our meals were both beautifully presented and delicious. Portion size is not overly large, so getting an entrée and a main course is recommended, and our server did tell us that. We all had plenty of food. Desserts were delicious too. If we had gone as a couple without the kids, we would have loved to try the tasting menu -- next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1012 reviews are from the JoLe reviews archive.
- Great get-away dinnerjpcouceDined on 7/1/2014We loved the food and smaller portions. Excellent service. Cocktails were great.Special Features:
- Elegant Food & WineLizBostonVIPDined on 6/29/2014The tasting menu with wine pairings was excellent overall. The highlights were the potato gnocchi paired with a crisp Savignon Blanc and the red snapper paired with a more fruity Savignon Blanc. The lamb chop was dressed with a plum sauce that was a little too sweet for my personal tastes, paired well with a Syrah. The cheese course was fine, but not up to the standards of the rest of the courses. The sommelier seemed at a loss when I requested a less sweet wine to pair with the cheese.Special Features:
- underwhelming...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Last year, our dining experience was incredible! This year, every course missed its mark---the gnocchi weren't light & fluffy enough, the pork belly wasn't crisp enough, my cocktail wasn't chilled enough, etc. On the whole, we were disappointed. Plus, the non-stop drone of their industrial fan was extremely unpleasant and detracted from the ambiance.
- Getting close...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/27/2014We visit Napa Valley twice per year and almost always dine at JoLe on both trips. The cost of the "small plates" continues to rise dramatically to the point that it is becoming a concern. The prices are approaching those of full size entrees, most being in the mid twenties. When two are not enough for me, and barely enough for my wife, we are getting close to looking elsewhere. That would be too bad given the creativity and quality that has not waned one iota.Special Features:
- Always fabulous!Jazzy1Dined on 6/25/2014I have been dining at Jole' for 6 years, I had my wedding party dinner there & have never been disappointed! I have recommended dining there to many people & all have enjoyed it! Great vibe, great food & great wine list...make a reservation!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surpriseTouristDined on 6/25/2014We were looking for a nice restaurant to celebrate a special occasion and were very happy we decided to try JoLe. All the food we ordered was presented attractively. My husband's duck was outstanding, tender and flavorful. My bouillabaisse was perfect, not a huge serving but just enough. My picky daughter's halibut was excellent as well. We only eat dessert if we love the entrees, so we had the cherry crisp and crepe and enjoyed them both. Our waiter was knowledgeable, attentive, and respectful. I appreciate that he spoke directly to each of us, not just the man at the table. The only thing I didn't care for was having to sit so close to some other diners, who were loud and encroached on our dining space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect restaurant.CarroDined on 6/23/2014Really good food and very nice winepairing. The waiter and sommelier were supernice and had good knowledge. The only thing I could have wished for were that they should have had only local wine instead of from all over the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and ServiceFoodfriendsDined on 6/22/2014The food was amazing, our service was helpful and attentive. We were celebrating our anniversary and it was perfect. We have already recommended that a friend make a reservation there for an upcoming trip to Napa. What a find! We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous as usual!mountainfoodieDined on 6/18/2014Went here for our one year anniversary and loved it! The food is fabulous, the servers are personable and non-corporate (unlike the vibe at nearby resorts), and really make you feel at home. We always order a bunch of things and share. Can't wait to go back again when we are in wine country.Special Features:
- JoLe IdealFineWineVIPDined on 6/16/2014What a great gem...food, service & ambiance are the triple threat. Looking forward, to our return visitSpecial Features:
- Great food & wineFunkaholikDined on 6/14/2014What a find. The a la carte selections were delicious. They also have a unique, create-your-own tasting menu option that allows you to choose the dishes you want to sample. The wine lust by the glass is extensive, plus they use a coravin to offer reserve wines by the ½ glass or glass that would otherwise only be available as an expensive bottle. I will definitely be back to try some dishes that we missed this time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/10/2014Very nice evening celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary and was very thoughtful and gracious of JoLe starting us off with a glass of Schramsberg! I got the tuna Poke and my husband got the Flatiron steak - both were very good and service was very good.Special Features:
- FoodLoverDined on 6/6/2014Had to wait for table even though booked on open tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal of the trip.JuliedDined on 6/6/2014We've eaten here several times, but this night was the best! We will be back soon. The service was impeccable and the food was outstanding. Thanks JoLe!!!Special Features:
- pairing2Dined on 6/2/2014Waitpersons' first day on job. We each had the 4 course pairing. Baby artichoke dish, was just the dry leaves, not the heart. Gnocchi was on dry side. Wine server was not in tune with one dish served, and poured incorrect wine, seemed flustered after that, and had other person pour dessert wine. Long wait between small courses. Over all, disappointing. If we did go back, we would order two dishes each w/o the pairing, and select our own wine. They were nice about giving us a discount for the confusion, but we had to ask. Timing was off, next table over, slow service, three young women were all looking at their iPhones by the second course.
- Good food, but not refinedMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 6/1/2014So, this is good food (grade B), but I just expected a bit more refinement. The gnocchi was very good. But the ribs? Eh.
- The course menu took much too long.UnderwhelmedDined on 5/31/2014Very pricy considering the caliber if the food. The menu was imaginative but some dishes fell flat. The plates are pieced as regular size but are medium portions. That wouldn't t be a problem if the dishes were more impressive. Best dish was the lamb t-bone. The baby back ribs were'nt tender or anything special. I could have bought a more impressive set if ribs at the local BBQ joint for 1/8 the price.Special Features:
- Not all that's it's made out to beCherietooDined on 5/31/2014Arrived Saturday night to a 1/2 empty room and we were gone within 45 minutes yes out in less than 1 hour. Our waiter suggested we get two main dishes each, thank goodness we didn't the portions were substantial enough but my halibut lacked flavor and was not cooked properly. I would have let our waiter know but he never bothered to come by and ask. My husbands ribs were "Ok" but not worthy of the accolades it received from reviews. Quite frankly I would have preferred a pizza and salad to our meal. The ambience is fine I guess although I would have preferred not to be whisked out of a an establishment that is suppose to represent Fine Dining. Summary overall I left with such a bad taste in my mouth.
- Farm to table theme - good placeSweetMichaelVIPDined on 5/30/2014My wife really liked her dinner. She tends to only order vegetables, and she loved what she eat. The steak was highly recommended, but I was impressed. I didn't send it back because I hate the hassle. We probably go again next time we're in Calistoga.Special Features:
- Gem in Northern Napaopentabler7VIPDined on 5/26/2014The menu with wine pairing was exceptional-Tried many courses and surely the largest, best portions for a tasting menu I've yet had. The wine is delivered first-I'd take a sip and when the food was brought the wine completely changed and elevated the entire meal, course after course. Absolutely stellar with relaxed friendly professional service. The white peach Manhattan was special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour MenuMatthewJRobertsDined on 5/26/2014Just went for early dinner ordering from happy hour menu. Great selection to choose from. You have to go inside hotel to enter restaurant. Bartender was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting flavorsRosstawoodDined on 5/25/2014I had lamb T-bone oh so very good. Wife had gnocchi and it was most excellent. The nectarine duck comfit salad was balanced. I could have eaten a five gallon bucket of the duck comfit. The coconut cream pie was godhood rub all over your body good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/25/2014Simply put, the food at JoLe was incredible. Try the gnocchi and the mahi tuna if it's on the menu. All the food was spectacular. Probably the best meal we've ever had.Special Features:
- Great food, odd serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/25/2014I went here for a romantic dinner out while staying in Calistoga. We opted for the 5 course tasting menu (each) with wine pairings. It's actually a decent value considering the amount and variety of food and wine. The food was wonderful - presentation, taste, variety - everything about it was outstanding! I especially recommend the squash blossoms. Our only slight complaint was that although the wine was specifically paired with each course, it wasn't timed as such. Sometimes we would get a course a full 5-10minutes before the wine or vice-versa, which was a bit awkward. For the price, they should really work this out! I would definitely recommend this place though, and I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeds expectationsRanchChefDined on 5/24/2014Everything on the menu is delicious ! There was not a bad dish. This is a first for me. Everything exceeded expectations. I thought it could not get any better... and then the desserts came. The tasting menu is a must. Caution- If you go once, you WILL be back. You will plan part of your trip to Calistoga around it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winner in downtown Calistoga!UpValleyGalDined on 5/18/2014JoLe continues to serve delicious, innovative food. The presentations are great. The menu selections are varied and offer many tasty options. The wine list offerings are outstanding -- great variety. The tasting menu option is great or one can just do a la carte. A really terrific dining experience. We look forward to our next meal there.Special Features:
- WOW!!FlorVIPDined on 5/16/2014Just delicious! Every bite was mouthwatering. The lambs tongue was to die for. In hope it's always on the menu. The ribs were literally finger lickin good. Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night PlaceRickyVIPDined on 5/16/2014My wife and I had a great dining experience at JoLe. We had the 5 course meal with the wine pairing. What a great way to dine. The food and wine pairing was outstanding. This place is a great gem. My wife and I will be coming back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good downtown restaurantDon1Dined on 5/16/2014Connected to Mountview Hotel made it very convenient for us. Seated us on time but felt a bit rushed to order. It was Friday night so people were getting turned away if they didn't have a reservation. The chopped salad was outstanding. Fish was cooked perfect. Husbands steak was tough and unflavorful. The menu is limited and changes frequently. There are many flavors going on with the dishes so it's probably a place for people who want to try new things. There is a choice of food flights for those who prefer to share dishes.Special Features:
- Small PlatesDianDined on 5/14/2014We ordered 5 small plates apiece (the 5th one was dessert). They were larger servings than we had expected (to our delight) and we were more than full when we finished dessert. Each and every small plate was incredible, innovative and fabulous. What a wonderful way to enjoy a variety of cuisine. This has to be one of my top 5 restaurants to date! I can hardly wait to come back!Special Features:
- Small PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2014Wonderful food and wonderful service. My only negative comment would be the portion size, SMALL for the price.Special Features:
- Excellent food and great experienceExcellentDined on 5/10/2014We Chose this for an early mother's day date night. Arrived, and our table was waiting. Perfect setting and the wait staff was great. All dishes (we're vegetarian) amazing. Lots of flavor, perfectly cooked, and absolutely delectable.Special Features:
- SublimeEz2luvDined on 5/8/2014They say god is in the detail......Ergo god is in every bite at JoLe! Seriously an exquisite experience at surprisingly affordable prices overall Loved all the little niches and seating arrangements Attentive service without overdoing it Understated and casually elegant Dress up or down .... and the teeny weeny nouvelle soup du jour starter put a huge smile on my face Mmm mmm mmm ... What's not to love !?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions, big flavorDCvisitorsDined on 5/7/2014Creative and fresh menu with unique dishes. Not all were smash hits, but all were inventive and beautifully presented. Wait staff was excellent.Special Features:
- Wine and food pairing experienceBelleDined on 5/7/2014Wonderful experience at JoLe. Brought a family member whose visiting CA to have a food and wine pairing experience. We were seated very quickly and everyone is attentive. Food tastes delicious, served in good portion with your wines. We have a knowledgeable wine sommelier. He explained where the wine came from and questions were answered regarding the wine and proper pairing with food. They have wide and unique selection of cocktails as well. Will certainly recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014I took my out of town guests for dinner and had an amazing night at Jole! It was the hightlight if our Napa weekend! Every course was better than the next. The service was warm, friendly and attentive. Our server was very knowlegable. We enjoyed every minute and left with special memories! Thank you Jole!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.