1457 Lincoln Avenue
Calistoga, CA 94515Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jolerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7079425938x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,& Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Spector
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Sonjia Spector 7079425938x
A word from JoLe
JoLe is a Contemporary American Restaurant owned and operated by husband-and-wife team Matt and Sonjia Spector, chef and pastry chef, respectively. JoLe is the couple's second restaurant venture. Their first was the wildly successful, Matyson Restaurant in Philadelphia. The menu changes daily and is designed for flexibility: guests can pop in for a few a la carte dishes, or settle in for a multi course tasting menu that they design themselves. This lends itself well to the casual wine country pace. Matt uses organic, locally farmed ingredients as much as possible. Sonjia's desserts are updated versions of things her mom and grandmother made. Everything on the eclectic wine list is offered by the glass, half bottle, or bottle. The beer list is also fun, consisting of a wide variety of microbrews. JoLe also offers a full bar, specializing in small batch liquors. Even without reservations, bar and chef's counter seats are available on a first come, first serve basisContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
JoLe reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)notable wine list (75)special occasion (72)romantic (58)neighborhood gem (57)hot spot (29)late-night find (9)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good food, but not refinedMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 6/1/2014So, this is good food (grade B), but I just expected a bit more refinement. The gnocchi was very good. But the ribs? Eh.
- The course menu took much too long.UnderwhelmedDined on 5/31/2014Very pricy considering the caliber if the food. The menu was imaginative but some dishes fell flat. The plates are pieced as regular size but are medium portions. That wouldn't t be a problem if the dishes were more impressive. Best dish was the lamb t-bone. The baby back ribs were'nt tender or anything special. I could have bought a more impressive set if ribs at the local BBQ joint for 1/8 the price.Special Features:
- Not all that's it's made out to beCherietooDined on 5/31/2014Arrived Saturday night to a 1/2 empty room and we were gone within 45 minutes yes out in less than 1 hour. Our waiter suggested we get two main dishes each, thank goodness we didn't the portions were substantial enough but my halibut lacked flavor and was not cooked properly. I would have let our waiter know but he never bothered to come by and ask. My husbands ribs were "Ok" but not worthy of the accolades it received from reviews. Quite frankly I would have preferred a pizza and salad to our meal. The ambience is fine I guess although I would have preferred not to be whisked out of a an establishment that is suppose to represent Fine Dining. Summary overall I left with such a bad taste in my mouth.
- Farm to table theme - good placeSweetMichaelVIPDined on 5/30/2014My wife really liked her dinner. She tends to only order vegetables, and she loved what she eat. The steak was highly recommended, but I was impressed. I didn't send it back because I hate the hassle. We probably go again next time we're in Calistoga.Special Features:
- Gem in Northern Napaopentabler7VIPDined on 5/26/2014The menu with wine pairing was exceptional-Tried many courses and surely the largest, best portions for a tasting menu I've yet had. The wine is delivered first-I'd take a sip and when the food was brought the wine completely changed and elevated the entire meal, course after course. Absolutely stellar with relaxed friendly professional service. The white peach Manhattan was special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour MenuMatthewJRobertsDined on 5/26/2014Just went for early dinner ordering from happy hour menu. Great selection to choose from. You have to go inside hotel to enter restaurant. Bartender was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting flavorsRosstawoodDined on 5/25/2014I had lamb T-bone oh so very good. Wife had gnocchi and it was most excellent. The nectarine duck comfit salad was balanced. I could have eaten a five gallon bucket of the duck comfit. The coconut cream pie was godhood rub all over your body good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/25/2014Simply put, the food at JoLe was incredible. Try the gnocchi and the mahi tuna if it's on the menu. All the food was spectacular. Probably the best meal we've ever had.Special Features:
- Great food, odd serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/25/2014I went here for a romantic dinner out while staying in Calistoga. We opted for the 5 course tasting menu (each) with wine pairings. It's actually a decent value considering the amount and variety of food and wine. The food was wonderful - presentation, taste, variety - everything about it was outstanding! I especially recommend the squash blossoms. Our only slight complaint was that although the wine was specifically paired with each course, it wasn't timed as such. Sometimes we would get a course a full 5-10minutes before the wine or vice-versa, which was a bit awkward. For the price, they should really work this out! I would definitely recommend this place though, and I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 988 reviews are from the JoLe reviews archive.
- Exceeds expectationsRanchChefDined on 5/24/2014Everything on the menu is delicious ! There was not a bad dish. This is a first for me. Everything exceeded expectations. I thought it could not get any better... and then the desserts came. The tasting menu is a must. Caution- If you go once, you WILL be back. You will plan part of your trip to Calistoga around it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winner in downtown Calistoga!UpValleyGalDined on 5/18/2014JoLe continues to serve delicious, innovative food. The presentations are great. The menu selections are varied and offer many tasty options. The wine list offerings are outstanding -- great variety. The tasting menu option is great or one can just do a la carte. A really terrific dining experience. We look forward to our next meal there.Special Features:
- WOW!!FlorVIPDined on 5/16/2014Just delicious! Every bite was mouthwatering. The lambs tongue was to die for. In hope it's always on the menu. The ribs were literally finger lickin good. Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night PlaceRickyVIPDined on 5/16/2014My wife and I had a great dining experience at JoLe. We had the 5 course meal with the wine pairing. What a great way to dine. The food and wine pairing was outstanding. This place is a great gem. My wife and I will be coming back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good downtown restaurantDon1Dined on 5/16/2014Connected to Mountview Hotel made it very convenient for us. Seated us on time but felt a bit rushed to order. It was Friday night so people were getting turned away if they didn't have a reservation. The chopped salad was outstanding. Fish was cooked perfect. Husbands steak was tough and unflavorful. The menu is limited and changes frequently. There are many flavors going on with the dishes so it's probably a place for people who want to try new things. There is a choice of food flights for those who prefer to share dishes.Special Features:
- Small PlatesDianDined on 5/14/2014We ordered 5 small plates apiece (the 5th one was dessert). They were larger servings than we had expected (to our delight) and we were more than full when we finished dessert. Each and every small plate was incredible, innovative and fabulous. What a wonderful way to enjoy a variety of cuisine. This has to be one of my top 5 restaurants to date! I can hardly wait to come back!Special Features:
- Small PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2014Wonderful food and wonderful service. My only negative comment would be the portion size, SMALL for the price.Special Features:
- Excellent food and great experienceExcellentDined on 5/10/2014We Chose this for an early mother's day date night. Arrived, and our table was waiting. Perfect setting and the wait staff was great. All dishes (we're vegetarian) amazing. Lots of flavor, perfectly cooked, and absolutely delectable.Special Features:
- SublimeEz2luvDined on 5/8/2014They say god is in the detail......Ergo god is in every bite at JoLe! Seriously an exquisite experience at surprisingly affordable prices overall Loved all the little niches and seating arrangements Attentive service without overdoing it Understated and casually elegant Dress up or down .... and the teeny weeny nouvelle soup du jour starter put a huge smile on my face Mmm mmm mmm ... What's not to love !?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions, big flavorDCvisitorsDined on 5/7/2014Creative and fresh menu with unique dishes. Not all were smash hits, but all were inventive and beautifully presented. Wait staff was excellent.Special Features:
- Wine and food pairing experienceBelleDined on 5/7/2014Wonderful experience at JoLe. Brought a family member whose visiting CA to have a food and wine pairing experience. We were seated very quickly and everyone is attentive. Food tastes delicious, served in good portion with your wines. We have a knowledgeable wine sommelier. He explained where the wine came from and questions were answered regarding the wine and proper pairing with food. They have wide and unique selection of cocktails as well. Will certainly recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014I took my out of town guests for dinner and had an amazing night at Jole! It was the hightlight if our Napa weekend! Every course was better than the next. The service was warm, friendly and attentive. Our server was very knowlegable. We enjoyed every minute and left with special memories! Thank you Jole!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoseDined on 4/30/2014The service was outstanding and the food was absolutely fantastic. We did the 4 course tasting menu and especially loved that we could choose the dishes we wanted from the menu. I highly recommend the tuna poke and roasted artichoke to start. The duck, lamb and wild boar creations were all delicious too. You cannot go wrong with any selection at this restaurant. I will be back next time my travels take me to Calistoga.Special Features:
- Excellent meal!amacrogersDined on 4/27/2014First time at JoLe. Great experience! We did the 4 course wine paring menu which was really fun and interesting. All the food was really, really good - loved the scallops especially!Special Features:
- Service was superb!VacavillePokerStarDined on 4/26/2014Took my wife here on Saturday night to celebrate our 17th Anniversary. Hostess must have relayed the message to staff because every one that served us greeted us with a congratulations which was very nice. I had read the past reviews so I was really looking forward to trying the food. We ordered the five course meal with wine pairing for each course. The food was good but not great so I was a bit dissappointed. However, the wines they paired with each course were superb. The desserts were good but unimaginative. Overall, I thought the food didn't live up to the hype but the service and wine were fantastic. Cozy, intimate, relaxed atmosphere. I would go again but it would be for some wine and good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dinner Of Our TripOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Our local host recommended JoLe'. After looking into them their farm to table style intrigued us. Overall JoLe, knocked each dish and pairing out of the park. Solid food slightly pushing the envelope. The staff was friendly and provided great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine food in Calistoga1sunnydennisDined on 4/25/2014Very hip menu and unusual in that each small portion is cooked to order. We had the 4 course menu each of our dinners were ordered different so we could share our plates and presentation was superb. The pace was correct as we asked not to be rushed and dinner for two lasted better than two hours and we never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veritas421Dined on 4/19/2014Good Food but didn't blow my mind. Wait staff was a bit staccato and the pace seemed forced. The flavor profiles were excellent but execution of the steak and scallops were a bit off. God love the sommelier for his efforts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service, good foodglutenfreegirlDined on 4/18/2014we stayed in the hotel "attached" to JoLe (which was fun - great spa!) and so ate here. Asked for gluten-free and one dish came that we figured "couldn't be" gluten-free (so I was picking off the breading) when the staff saw that and said no no, they made it special, not to fear. I was really thankful for this. We thought the food was very good, great service, nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little GemJoliciousVIPDined on 4/17/2014Jole is one of two restaurants located in the Mount View Hotel and Spa. On Thursday night there was a huge wait which was no surprise after we finished our meal. Even though we had a reservation, they got slammed and we had to wait. The hostess, who is the owner with her husband, bought my fiancé and I a drink while we waited. The menu offers a unique assortment of gourmet dishes. We started with the Kona Kampachi & Ahi Tuna Poke’ which was so fresh and flavorful. Then I had the sweetbread and my fiancé had the perfectly cooked sea scallops. All along the waitress was checking on us and telling us fun stroriea in a non-intrusive way. We had to finish with the coconut cream pie made from some gel conception. It was unbelievable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unexpected culinary joyJessDined on 4/13/2014We didn't know what to expect when dining at Jole. What we found was masterfully prepared food in a totally non-pretentious environment. The waiter was incredibly helpful in explaining the options. We choose to create our own tasting menu and I'm so pleased we got to try so many of the delicious options. A special vegetarian risotto was created just for me and it was probably the best thing I've eaten all year. We skipped wine and went for the specialty cocktails which were amazing and paired really well with the food. I would eat here again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique dining experience!!HudaDined on 4/12/2014The tasting menu with wine pairings is superb! Excellent service. Can't say enough about this wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- Great tasting food!ghessDined on 4/11/2014My husband and I ate here while on a getaway weekend in Calistoga. We both agreed it is one of the top restaurants we have been to (and we used to live in San Francisco). The restaurant has a casual laid back feeling but the food is by no means casual. We were very impressed by all the complex flavors. It was so yummy!! We did the four course tasting (you get three small plates and a dessert each or four savory) and loved it. Highly recommend it. Looking back though we probably would have done four savory dishes instead of three savory and a dessert. I hate to say it but the next night we ate at Bottega for dinner and the bar had been set so high by JoLe that we can't say we enjoyed it as much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't as good as it usually isNickVIPDined on 4/10/2014I've been coming to Jole for years, but this meal was perhaps the worst ever. The appetizers and desserts were great, but the main courses were disappointing. I still plan on returning, but was surprised at how underwhelming the entrees were. They just weren't super tasty.Special Features:
- JoLe Calistogadine4funDined on 4/6/2014Dining at JoLe was a wonderful experience. We were a party of four and the food was excellent, the ambiance was perfect and our server was very attentive. We like the fact that it's small plates so that you can try several different dishes. Joshua took very good care of us and saw to it that all of our needs were met. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party in your mouth!MoeyDined on 4/6/2014This is our second time eating at JoLe. Both times food was outstanding, service was perfect. Definitely recommend to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like small platestravel2dineVIPDined on 4/2/2014We had multiple courses of interesting food paired with wines that mostly we're new to us. We expect the best ingredients from CA restaurants but the quality at JoLe seemed short of our expectations. Maybe it was the "interesting" preparation. It was worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/30/2014always a treat to dine at JoLe from selecting your own course configuration, to turning over the pairings to their excellent and knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- End the dayRochesterdinerDined on 3/28/2014After a long day of great wine tastings we went to JoLe's. The food was fantastic, with tremendous flavors and smells. The presentation was beautiful and the portions were moderate- not huge. The staff was very friendly and knowledgable and made some excellent recommendations. The cost for everything was a bit steep but that is Napa. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland and TastelessFoodieFarrellDined on 3/27/2014Bland, boring and over-priced! Don't waste your money or time. Service was well below average too. Go somewhere else!!!!
- Trip HighlightGaryFVIPDined on 3/25/20143 members in our party and we each ordered a different tasting course level 4,5, & 6. Right off the bat their willingness to allow us to do that vs. other restaurants we've been to that highly discourage this got our attention, well, it was actually the 2nd thing as we perused the menu and couldn't decide on how many of the unique items to order. So, we ordered 15 unique items and every one of them was worth having and many were simply AMAZING (boar, sweetbreads, duck, brussel sprouts, asparagus, sugar snap peas, ....) Somm Josh and our server John were not only very knowledgeable but also super friendly which is another huge bonus in a high end restaurant where frequently it can tilt towards pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.