1457 Lincoln Avenue
Calistoga, CA 94515Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jolerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7079425938x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,& Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Spector
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Sonjia Spector 7079425938x
A word from JoLe
JoLe is a Contemporary American Restaurant owned and operated by husband-and-wife team Matt and Sonjia Spector, chef and pastry chef, respectively. JoLe is the couple's second restaurant venture. Their first was the wildly successful, Matyson Restaurant in Philadelphia. The menu changes daily and is designed for flexibility: guests can pop in for a few a la carte dishes, or settle in for a multi course tasting menu that they design themselves. This lends itself well to the casual wine country pace. Matt uses organic, locally farmed ingredients as much as possible. Sonjia's desserts are updated versions of things her mom and grandmother made. Everything on the eclectic wine list is offered by the glass, half bottle, or bottle. The beer list is also fun, consisting of a wide variety of microbrews. JoLe also offers a full bar, specializing in small batch liquors. Even without reservations, bar and chef's counter seats are available on a first come, first serve basisContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
JoLe reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (114)notable wine list (77)special occasion (72)neighborhood gem (58)romantic (57)hot spot (30)good for groups (10)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Food was good but not great and the portions we're very small.
- Almost walked, glad we didn't!GustavoDined on 8/13/2014Went for the lamb tongue on internet menu. Not serving it any longer, strike 1. Menu is small with nothing that jumped out, strike 2. Decided to stay & very glad we did. Flavors were amazing!! Melon & lamb bacon appetizer, Delicious. Buttermilk quail & salmon were excellent! Throw in great drinks, dessert, and service and you have a lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in Napa valleyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Fabulous food! Easy drive from St. Helena as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is lackinggilbertDined on 8/9/2014Waited 15-20 min to get seated + 10-15 min to get my order taken. Other then that: the octopus was excellent, and I would never say no to the venison. Skip the cheeses.Special Features:
- Expansive and pretentious placeNadomDined on 8/7/2014The food was good but the portions are ridiculously small. the wine is expensive. Very pretentious restaurant.
- Beautiful FoodJvonDined on 8/5/2014This restaurant is consistently outstanding. From the delicious, creative cocktails at the bar to every bite of the tasting menu. I look forward to my visits here for original, perfectly prepared, thoughtful food, paired with well chosen wine. It is a treat to hand the wine paring decision over to a more knowledgeable person and not be disappointed with the pairing. I always recommend Jole to anyone who is going to Calistoga. It is possibly the best restaurant in the Napa Valley. Attentive service, special requests are done with grace. If the above review is unclear, I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not such an innocent marigoldHeidiJoyDined on 8/5/2014We started with the summer melon salad which was topped with a marigold - not just the petals but the whole flower. When I bit down on it, it's bitterness was overwhelming. I decided to swallow it and wash it down with my wine to rid the taste in my mouth. Fast forward to 48 hours later...my bathroom saw more visits than I care to state on this post. Beware of the innocent garnish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findliasVIPDined on 8/2/2014Fabulous food and service. Very personable. Recommend the tasting menus.Special Features:
- Wonderful food in a wonderful townNickDined on 8/1/2014I'm a British citizen and had never been to Napa Valley before. Calistoga is a great little town and this restaurant is a credit to it. My partner and I were taken care of extremely well all evening - despite the fact that the restaurant was very busy all evening. The venison was amongst the best I've ever had and my partner was impressed with the vegetarian options available. Not cheap, but we would definitely recommend JoLe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannot wait to returnwineslutVIPDined on 8/1/2014This was my second dinner at JoLe'. It was even better than the first. The Quail was especially wonderful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014Delicious food beautifully presented. Nice wine list. Great evening!
- Outstanding Napa dining experienceMidwestfoodieDined on 7/31/2014We had a great meal. I definitely recommend the wine pairing. Every course delivered. We were here years age when it was Stomp. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- The best of our bestJAMsGemsDined on 7/30/2014Delicious meals from a creative and skilled chef served in a friendly and professional manner. We loved every bite and would happily returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2014We chose JoLe based on a NY Times article on Napa that recommended this restaurant. It definitely lived up to its billing. the staff was very helpful and encouraged us to get the "tastings" menu which we also did with their wine pairings. I am glad we did it this way because we would have never picked the combinations ourselves. we had an assortment of dishes from octopus (amazing) to lamb to steak to scallops. all were wonderful. Our server that evening was also one of the assistants for the desserts, so of course we took her recommendation. The only thing slightly negative I noticed was that it was a bit loud when full of people, but that was easily overlooked with everything else. The town of Calistoga is a fun locale, too.Special Features:
- Great food.DoughydinerDined on 7/25/2014The service was fantastic and the food delicious!! I only wish it came with larger portions .luSpecial Features:
- Fantastic sommelierAndyKDined on 7/22/2014We had the tasting menu and were not disappointed. The food and wine combinations were excellent. The depth of knowledge about the wines and the Napa valley were fantastic. A bit pricey but highly recommended.Special Features:
- Calistoga findDiningDenizenVIPDined on 7/22/2014Inventive, flavorful food in a nice setting. Nice wine-the-glass list, too. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Hit and missHungryVIPDined on 7/19/2014Food was hit and miss. One appetizer was very good (octopus), the other one mediocre (ahi tuna poke). One main was excellent (pork belly), the other one so so (fish dish could have been great but was a bit over)
- Great Tasting MenuRoccoDined on 7/16/2014The tasting menu was great. 4 courses for $55. Well prepared and timely service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a very enjoyable evening!JegerDined on 7/16/2014Overall a very nice dining experience with good service. The highlights of the evening were probably the wine recommendations and the calamares dish with chorizo! Very good! The disapointment of the evening was the grilled peppers (sorry to say) as they lacked the smokey dark grilled flavour and were a bit too greasy compared to a similar (but exceptional) at Torc the previous night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall experience was average.JohnGaultDined on 7/15/2014I would not choose to eat at JoLe again. There are simply too many other choices in the area with better food, wine lists, and service in the same price range. By contrast, our experience at Market in St. Helena was far better, both in food experience and service level. In addition, Market has a better wine list and does not mark up their wines significantly.
- Ah we must be in Europe!GinnyVIPDined on 7/13/2014I love octopus cooked right. They nailed it. The chef gave it a little Spanish twist which was delightful. The octopus was tender and oh so deliciousl. If you haven't had a tender octopus, come here! My husband had the pork belly. He was not sure about it because the ingredients for the dish seemed to be too "artsy". But when I looked over at his dish halfway through the meal, there was not even a smell left on the plate. And dessert was just sinful. Oh you will love it. But leave a table for us because we will be back.Special Features:
- ExcellentYummy4ourtummyDined on 7/7/2014Jole exceeded our expectations! The food was excellent and Becca, our server, was fabulous. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place to go in Napa Valley!Flowergirl53Dined on 7/6/2014We continue to be impressed with the creative cuisine at JoLe. The flavor combinations are what you would expect out if a much more expensive restaurant. The imagination and flair of the chef is apparent in each dish. Mediterranean Octopus salad is incredible. My husband had the venison and loved every bite. I had Alaskan halibut and the flavors were amazing. I love going out and having the option of eating something I would never make, like chicken fried veal sweetbreads or sweet tea marinated duck. The staff is helpful and generous with their time. This is a place you will not want to miss, with better food than some of its more famous neighbors, at reasonable prices in a lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious in CalistogadelciosoDined on 7/5/2014WE had a fantastic meal at Jole. All farm to table local produce and delicious preparations California cuisine style. Delicious, can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Reserv not honored once again...Billy2013VIPDined on 7/3/2014Reservation not honored once again. It gets dark 9pm now, so made advanced OT reservation for 9pm dinner. Arrived 9pm & Manager again says that "our table" is just paying their bill & "it should be only a few minutes" & we should wait in the adjoining hotel lobby. He then asked if he could bring us a drink while we were waiting. Another table group was already out waiting in the lobby then too. By 9:15 or so, the manager came out & said "it should be a little longer." Nearer 9:30 he came out with 2 complimentary glasses of wine & a good appetizer that he never asked us if we liked or wanted. By 9:40 or so he got us & said he knew we requested a booth BUT had a "table for 4" open & we could sit near one another (we wanted a booth)...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun ExperienceCupcakeDined on 7/3/2014If you are looking for a big meal not a good place to go. But if you want to have cocktails and tapas it's perfect. It was energetic. Our waiter was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKWinesipperDined on 7/3/2014Pricy for modestly good food. Ingredient quality just average. Noise level excessive, rendering conversation difficult.
- Great meals!LovechowderDined on 7/2/2014Went to JoLe with my husband and our two tween/teen daughters. My younger daughter loved that they have a kids' menu (with fries!) and her food was perfect for her. My older daughter has celiac disease and JoLe was able to accommodate her gluten-free diet with no problems, and without the need for us to give excessive explanations about gluten -- they seemed informed. Our meals were both beautifully presented and delicious. Portion size is not overly large, so getting an entrée and a main course is recommended, and our server did tell us that. We all had plenty of food. Desserts were delicious too. If we had gone as a couple without the kids, we would have loved to try the tasting menu -- next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great get-away dinnerjpcouceDined on 7/1/2014We loved the food and smaller portions. Excellent service. Cocktails were great.Special Features:
- Elegant Food & WineLizBostonVIPDined on 6/29/2014The tasting menu with wine pairings was excellent overall. The highlights were the potato gnocchi paired with a crisp Savignon Blanc and the red snapper paired with a more fruity Savignon Blanc. The lamb chop was dressed with a plum sauce that was a little too sweet for my personal tastes, paired well with a Syrah. The cheese course was fine, but not up to the standards of the rest of the courses. The sommelier seemed at a loss when I requested a less sweet wine to pair with the cheese.Special Features:
- underwhelming...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Last year, our dining experience was incredible! This year, every course missed its mark---the gnocchi weren't light & fluffy enough, the pork belly wasn't crisp enough, my cocktail wasn't chilled enough, etc. On the whole, we were disappointed. Plus, the non-stop drone of their industrial fan was extremely unpleasant and detracted from the ambiance.
- Getting close...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/27/2014We visit Napa Valley twice per year and almost always dine at JoLe on both trips. The cost of the "small plates" continues to rise dramatically to the point that it is becoming a concern. The prices are approaching those of full size entrees, most being in the mid twenties. When two are not enough for me, and barely enough for my wife, we are getting close to looking elsewhere. That would be too bad given the creativity and quality that has not waned one iota.Special Features:
- Always fabulous!Jazzy1Dined on 6/25/2014I have been dining at Jole' for 6 years, I had my wedding party dinner there & have never been disappointed! I have recommended dining there to many people & all have enjoyed it! Great vibe, great food & great wine list...make a reservation!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surpriseTouristDined on 6/25/2014We were looking for a nice restaurant to celebrate a special occasion and were very happy we decided to try JoLe. All the food we ordered was presented attractively. My husband's duck was outstanding, tender and flavorful. My bouillabaisse was perfect, not a huge serving but just enough. My picky daughter's halibut was excellent as well. We only eat dessert if we love the entrees, so we had the cherry crisp and crepe and enjoyed them both. Our waiter was knowledgeable, attentive, and respectful. I appreciate that he spoke directly to each of us, not just the man at the table. The only thing I didn't care for was having to sit so close to some other diners, who were loud and encroached on our dining space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect restaurant.CarroDined on 6/23/2014Really good food and very nice winepairing. The waiter and sommelier were supernice and had good knowledge. The only thing I could have wished for were that they should have had only local wine instead of from all over the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and ServiceFoodfriendsDined on 6/22/2014The food was amazing, our service was helpful and attentive. We were celebrating our anniversary and it was perfect. We have already recommended that a friend make a reservation there for an upcoming trip to Napa. What a find! We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous as usual!mountainfoodieDined on 6/18/2014Went here for our one year anniversary and loved it! The food is fabulous, the servers are personable and non-corporate (unlike the vibe at nearby resorts), and really make you feel at home. We always order a bunch of things and share. Can't wait to go back again when we are in wine country.Special Features:
- JoLe IdealFineWineVIPDined on 6/16/2014What a great gem...food, service & ambiance are the triple threat. Looking forward, to our return visitSpecial Features:
- Great food & wineFunkaholikDined on 6/14/2014What a find. The a la carte selections were delicious. They also have a unique, create-your-own tasting menu option that allows you to choose the dishes you want to sample. The wine lust by the glass is extensive, plus they use a coravin to offer reserve wines by the ½ glass or glass that would otherwise only be available as an expensive bottle. I will definitely be back to try some dishes that we missed this time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.