1457 Lincoln Avenue
Calistoga, CA 94515Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jolerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7079425938x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,& Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Spector
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Sonjia Spector 7079425938x
A word from JoLe
JoLe is a Contemporary American Restaurant owned and operated by husband-and-wife team Matt and Sonjia Spector, chef and pastry chef, respectively. JoLe is the couple's second restaurant venture. Their first was the wildly successful, Matyson Restaurant in Philadelphia. The menu changes daily and is designed for flexibility: guests can pop in for a few a la carte dishes, or settle in for a multi course tasting menu that they design themselves. This lends itself well to the casual wine country pace. Matt uses organic, locally farmed ingredients as much as possible. Sonjia's desserts are updated versions of things her mom and grandmother made. Everything on the eclectic wine list is offered by the glass, half bottle, or bottle. The beer list is also fun, consisting of a wide variety of microbrews. JoLe also offers a full bar, specializing in small batch liquors. Even without reservations, bar and chef's counter seats are available on a first come, first serve basisContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
JoLe reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (105)notable wine list (72)special occasion (69)neighborhood gem (58)romantic (57)hot spot (29)late-night find (7)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014Delicious food beautifully presented. Nice wine list. Great evening!
- Outstanding Napa dining experienceMidwestfoodieDined on 7/31/2014We had a great meal. I definitely recommend the wine pairing. Every course delivered. We were here years age when it was Stomp. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- The best of our bestJAMsGemsDined on 7/30/2014Delicious meals from a creative and skilled chef served in a friendly and professional manner. We loved every bite and would happily returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2014We chose JoLe based on a NY Times article on Napa that recommended this restaurant. It definitely lived up to its billing. the staff was very helpful and encouraged us to get the "tastings" menu which we also did with their wine pairings. I am glad we did it this way because we would have never picked the combinations ourselves. we had an assortment of dishes from octopus (amazing) to lamb to steak to scallops. all were wonderful. Our server that evening was also one of the assistants for the desserts, so of course we took her recommendation. The only thing slightly negative I noticed was that it was a bit loud when full of people, but that was easily overlooked with everything else. The town of Calistoga is a fun locale, too.Special Features:
- Great food.DoughydinerDined on 7/25/2014The service was fantastic and the food delicious!! I only wish it came with larger portions .luSpecial Features:
- Fantastic sommelierAndyKDined on 7/22/2014We had the tasting menu and were not disappointed. The food and wine combinations were excellent. The depth of knowledge about the wines and the Napa valley were fantastic. A bit pricey but highly recommended.Special Features:
- Calistoga findDiningDenizenVIPDined on 7/22/2014Inventive, flavorful food in a nice setting. Nice wine-the-glass list, too. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Hit and missHungryVIPDined on 7/19/2014Food was hit and miss. One appetizer was very good (octopus), the other one mediocre (ahi tuna poke). One main was excellent (pork belly), the other one so so (fish dish could have been great but was a bit over)
- Great Tasting MenuRoccoDined on 7/16/2014The tasting menu was great. 4 courses for $55. Well prepared and timely service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a very enjoyable evening!JegerDined on 7/16/2014Overall a very nice dining experience with good service. The highlights of the evening were probably the wine recommendations and the calamares dish with chorizo! Very good! The disapointment of the evening was the grilled peppers (sorry to say) as they lacked the smokey dark grilled flavour and were a bit too greasy compared to a similar (but exceptional) at Torc the previous night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall experience was average.JohnGaultDined on 7/15/2014I would not choose to eat at JoLe again. There are simply too many other choices in the area with better food, wine lists, and service in the same price range. By contrast, our experience at Market in St. Helena was far better, both in food experience and service level. In addition, Market has a better wine list and does not mark up their wines significantly.
- Ah we must be in Europe!GinnyVIPDined on 7/13/2014I love octopus cooked right. They nailed it. The chef gave it a little Spanish twist which was delightful. The octopus was tender and oh so deliciousl. If you haven't had a tender octopus, come here! My husband had the pork belly. He was not sure about it because the ingredients for the dish seemed to be too "artsy". But when I looked over at his dish halfway through the meal, there was not even a smell left on the plate. And dessert was just sinful. Oh you will love it. But leave a table for us because we will be back.Special Features:
- ExcellentYummy4ourtummyDined on 7/7/2014Jole exceeded our expectations! The food was excellent and Becca, our server, was fabulous. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place to go in Napa Valley!Flowergirl53Dined on 7/6/2014We continue to be impressed with the creative cuisine at JoLe. The flavor combinations are what you would expect out if a much more expensive restaurant. The imagination and flair of the chef is apparent in each dish. Mediterranean Octopus salad is incredible. My husband had the venison and loved every bite. I had Alaskan halibut and the flavors were amazing. I love going out and having the option of eating something I would never make, like chicken fried veal sweetbreads or sweet tea marinated duck. The staff is helpful and generous with their time. This is a place you will not want to miss, with better food than some of its more famous neighbors, at reasonable prices in a lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious in CalistogadelciosoDined on 7/5/2014WE had a fantastic meal at Jole. All farm to table local produce and delicious preparations California cuisine style. Delicious, can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Reserv not honored once again...Billy2013VIPDined on 7/3/2014Reservation not honored once again. It gets dark 9pm now, so made advanced OT reservation for 9pm dinner. Arrived 9pm & Manager again says that "our table" is just paying their bill & "it should be only a few minutes" & we should wait in the adjoining hotel lobby. He then asked if he could bring us a drink while we were waiting. Another table group was already out waiting in the lobby then too. By 9:15 or so, the manager came out & said "it should be a little longer." Nearer 9:30 he came out with 2 complimentary glasses of wine & a good appetizer that he never asked us if we liked or wanted. By 9:40 or so he got us & said he knew we requested a booth BUT had a "table for 4" open & we could sit near one another (we wanted a booth)...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun ExperienceCupcakeDined on 7/3/2014If you are looking for a big meal not a good place to go. But if you want to have cocktails and tapas it's perfect. It was energetic. Our waiter was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKWinesipperDined on 7/3/2014Pricy for modestly good food. Ingredient quality just average. Noise level excessive, rendering conversation difficult.
- Great meals!LovechowderDined on 7/2/2014Went to JoLe with my husband and our two tween/teen daughters. My younger daughter loved that they have a kids' menu (with fries!) and her food was perfect for her. My older daughter has celiac disease and JoLe was able to accommodate her gluten-free diet with no problems, and without the need for us to give excessive explanations about gluten -- they seemed informed. Our meals were both beautifully presented and delicious. Portion size is not overly large, so getting an entrée and a main course is recommended, and our server did tell us that. We all had plenty of food. Desserts were delicious too. If we had gone as a couple without the kids, we would have loved to try the tasting menu -- next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great get-away dinnerjpcouceDined on 7/1/2014We loved the food and smaller portions. Excellent service. Cocktails were great.Special Features:
- Elegant Food & WineLizBostonVIPDined on 6/29/2014The tasting menu with wine pairings was excellent overall. The highlights were the potato gnocchi paired with a crisp Savignon Blanc and the red snapper paired with a more fruity Savignon Blanc. The lamb chop was dressed with a plum sauce that was a little too sweet for my personal tastes, paired well with a Syrah. The cheese course was fine, but not up to the standards of the rest of the courses. The sommelier seemed at a loss when I requested a less sweet wine to pair with the cheese.Special Features:
- underwhelming...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Last year, our dining experience was incredible! This year, every course missed its mark---the gnocchi weren't light & fluffy enough, the pork belly wasn't crisp enough, my cocktail wasn't chilled enough, etc. On the whole, we were disappointed. Plus, the non-stop drone of their industrial fan was extremely unpleasant and detracted from the ambiance.
- Getting close...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/27/2014We visit Napa Valley twice per year and almost always dine at JoLe on both trips. The cost of the "small plates" continues to rise dramatically to the point that it is becoming a concern. The prices are approaching those of full size entrees, most being in the mid twenties. When two are not enough for me, and barely enough for my wife, we are getting close to looking elsewhere. That would be too bad given the creativity and quality that has not waned one iota.Special Features:
- Always fabulous!Jazzy1Dined on 6/25/2014I have been dining at Jole' for 6 years, I had my wedding party dinner there & have never been disappointed! I have recommended dining there to many people & all have enjoyed it! Great vibe, great food & great wine list...make a reservation!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surpriseTouristDined on 6/25/2014We were looking for a nice restaurant to celebrate a special occasion and were very happy we decided to try JoLe. All the food we ordered was presented attractively. My husband's duck was outstanding, tender and flavorful. My bouillabaisse was perfect, not a huge serving but just enough. My picky daughter's halibut was excellent as well. We only eat dessert if we love the entrees, so we had the cherry crisp and crepe and enjoyed them both. Our waiter was knowledgeable, attentive, and respectful. I appreciate that he spoke directly to each of us, not just the man at the table. The only thing I didn't care for was having to sit so close to some other diners, who were loud and encroached on our dining space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect restaurant.CarroDined on 6/23/2014Really good food and very nice winepairing. The waiter and sommelier were supernice and had good knowledge. The only thing I could have wished for were that they should have had only local wine instead of from all over the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and ServiceFoodfriendsDined on 6/22/2014The food was amazing, our service was helpful and attentive. We were celebrating our anniversary and it was perfect. We have already recommended that a friend make a reservation there for an upcoming trip to Napa. What a find! We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous as usual!mountainfoodieDined on 6/18/2014Went here for our one year anniversary and loved it! The food is fabulous, the servers are personable and non-corporate (unlike the vibe at nearby resorts), and really make you feel at home. We always order a bunch of things and share. Can't wait to go back again when we are in wine country.Special Features:
- JoLe IdealFineWineVIPDined on 6/16/2014What a great gem...food, service & ambiance are the triple threat. Looking forward, to our return visitSpecial Features:
- Great food & wineFunkaholikDined on 6/14/2014What a find. The a la carte selections were delicious. They also have a unique, create-your-own tasting menu option that allows you to choose the dishes you want to sample. The wine lust by the glass is extensive, plus they use a coravin to offer reserve wines by the ½ glass or glass that would otherwise only be available as an expensive bottle. I will definitely be back to try some dishes that we missed this time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/10/2014Very nice evening celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary and was very thoughtful and gracious of JoLe starting us off with a glass of Schramsberg! I got the tuna Poke and my husband got the Flatiron steak - both were very good and service was very good.Special Features:
- Best meal of the trip.JuliedDined on 6/6/2014We've eaten here several times, but this night was the best! We will be back soon. The service was impeccable and the food was outstanding. Thanks JoLe!!!Special Features:
- pairing2Dined on 6/2/2014Waitpersons' first day on job. We each had the 4 course pairing. Baby artichoke dish, was just the dry leaves, not the heart. Gnocchi was on dry side. Wine server was not in tune with one dish served, and poured incorrect wine, seemed flustered after that, and had other person pour dessert wine. Long wait between small courses. Over all, disappointing. If we did go back, we would order two dishes each w/o the pairing, and select our own wine. They were nice about giving us a discount for the confusion, but we had to ask. Timing was off, next table over, slow service, three young women were all looking at their iPhones by the second course.
- Good food, but not refinedMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 6/1/2014So, this is good food (grade B), but I just expected a bit more refinement. The gnocchi was very good. But the ribs? Eh.
- The course menu took much too long.UnderwhelmedDined on 5/31/2014Very pricy considering the caliber if the food. The menu was imaginative but some dishes fell flat. The plates are pieced as regular size but are medium portions. That wouldn't t be a problem if the dishes were more impressive. Best dish was the lamb t-bone. The baby back ribs were'nt tender or anything special. I could have bought a more impressive set if ribs at the local BBQ joint for 1/8 the price.Special Features:
- Not all that's it's made out to beCherietooDined on 5/31/2014Arrived Saturday night to a 1/2 empty room and we were gone within 45 minutes yes out in less than 1 hour. Our waiter suggested we get two main dishes each, thank goodness we didn't the portions were substantial enough but my halibut lacked flavor and was not cooked properly. I would have let our waiter know but he never bothered to come by and ask. My husbands ribs were "Ok" but not worthy of the accolades it received from reviews. Quite frankly I would have preferred a pizza and salad to our meal. The ambience is fine I guess although I would have preferred not to be whisked out of a an establishment that is suppose to represent Fine Dining. Summary overall I left with such a bad taste in my mouth.
- Farm to table theme - good placeSweetMichaelVIPDined on 5/30/2014My wife really liked her dinner. She tends to only order vegetables, and she loved what she eat. The steak was highly recommended, but I was impressed. I didn't send it back because I hate the hassle. We probably go again next time we're in Calistoga.Special Features:
- Gem in Northern Napaopentabler7VIPDined on 5/26/2014The menu with wine pairing was exceptional-Tried many courses and surely the largest, best portions for a tasting menu I've yet had. The wine is delivered first-I'd take a sip and when the food was brought the wine completely changed and elevated the entire meal, course after course. Absolutely stellar with relaxed friendly professional service. The white peach Manhattan was special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour MenuMatthewJRobertsDined on 5/26/2014Just went for early dinner ordering from happy hour menu. Great selection to choose from. You have to go inside hotel to enter restaurant. Bartender was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting flavorsRosstawoodDined on 5/25/2014I had lamb T-bone oh so very good. Wife had gnocchi and it was most excellent. The nectarine duck comfit salad was balanced. I could have eaten a five gallon bucket of the duck comfit. The coconut cream pie was godhood rub all over your body good.I would recommend this to a friend.