7852L Tysons Corner Center
McLean, VA 22102Neighborhood:
Tysons Corner / McLean
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/lasandiavirginia/index.htm
- Phone: 7038932222x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm to close; Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm; Hora Feliz: Sunday-Friday 4:00pm to 9:00pm at the bar and patio area. (Happy hour is first come, first serve basis)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Gamaliel Coronado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chef Richard Sandoval, internationally recognized as the Father of Modern Mexican Cuisine, elevates Mexican cooking to new heights at La Sandia. Inspired by his culinary mantra of ‘old ways, new hands,’ Chef Sandoval reinterprets traditional dishes with innovative techniques and presentation.
- Private Party Contact: JC Sanabria 8775097635
- Special Events: La Sandia's dynamic private and semi-private spaces accommodate parties of 20-300 guests. Our special events team will work with you to tailor a lunch, dinner or cocktail reception that meets your special event needs.
A word from La Sandia
Internationally acclaimed Chef Richard Sandoval, recognized as the Father of Modern Mexican Cuisine, is expanding his culinary reach with La Sandia Mexican Kitchen & Bar. At La Sandia, Chef Sandoval combines authentic Mexican ingredients with contemporary cooking techniques to create light dishes with vibrant, contrasting flavors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Sandia reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (23)great for lunch (17)fit for foodies (12)kid-friendly (10)special occasion (9)vibrant bar scene (5)neighborhood gem (4)great for brunch (3)romantic (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Delicious food and terrific serviceSouthernFoodieDined on 6/26/2013I had the carnitas and they were delicious! Our waitress was new and a little nervous however she did a terrific job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salsa to die for!HappyDined on 6/18/2013Took my daughter to celebrate summer. The Salsa and chips they start you with are delicious! The chips are hot and the salsa smokey. Great! I followed with Pork Carnita tacos! Outstanding. My daughter loved the chicken tortilla soup. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Un family friendly.FoodiefamilyDined on 6/16/2013Called ahead and asked that even though we were a party of 10 (with 5 being kids) to use private room if it was empty. The manager said if it was not being used by a larger party, no problem. We arrived and Gaby the hostess rudely told us the private room was not an option to our party (not that either was occupied). Then sat my family next to the bar. I don't know about other moms but children and infants in a bar is not my type of family fun. Then the manager Juan comes over and asks to take away my infant stroller. I kindly asked to keep it- He proceeds LIE and tell me the restaurant is fully booked. Well it never reached over 50% capacity, a lot of empty tables for a place that was "full". Will not be going back, nor can I recommend,
- Food was OK. Service was poorOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/16/2013From the looks of La Sandia, it looks like a nice restaurant. The food was ok. The service was poor. The server forgot the milk for my daughter and my wife ordered a trio entree with soup and was not given a spoon. The server noticed that she didn't have a spoon and told us that he would bring one over and never did. We tasted the soup with our forks and it didn't taste good so we decided not to remind him that he forgot. Their signature guac tasted ok. I could have made the same thing at home for a lot cheaper. $9.95 for a small amount of guac is not worth it.
- EpicOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2013This is one of our favorite spots in the DMV! The mojito's are unbelievable, and before we knew it our group had downed two pitchers of their white sangria. We frequent often, and the drinks are ALWAYS spot on, and the food is EPIC, everything is authentic, the Guac is really good and everything we have tried has been yumtastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs to improve customer serviceQuiqueDined on 6/10/2013I was looking for a new place to go to celebrate a special ocassion such as my husband's birthday, and a friend recommended me La Sandía. We made a table reservation and checked the Happy Hour menu online and I was so excited because we love tex-mex food and prices were reasonable. We ordered our food but one dish was not what we expected, others were OK - and our server never came back to check on us, we had to look for him every time we needed something, he was very busy serving other tables! We asked for silverware, napkins, glasses of water, etc.
- DissapointedDinexprtDined on 6/1/2013After reading the description looked like a nice place to celebrate anniversary but instead we ordered apps and left. The hostess even tried to set us pinned in a corner next to a large family with kids when there were many other options. She finally set us at another high traffic table that looked into the kitchen. Would be an ok place for casual dining but atmosphere was lacking.Special Features:
- GuacamoleDCDinerVIPDined on 5/28/2013The guacomole with ceviche was easily the best part of the meal. The entrees were good, but the guacamole was a standout.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/19/2013The good was excellent. They have plenty of seating. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good !'ArodzDined on 5/12/2013La Sandia is always consistent when I dine there and usually it's a group of us that come. The staff is always helpful and attentive. My server this who's name I didn't get was awesome he was on top of everything. Food always consistent. Only area I see they need improvement would be in the consistency of their mixed drinks they always seem different every time I go there. Overall great experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2013La Sandia serves high-quality Mexican food from multiple regions. The flavors are unique and pleasing, and the guacamole rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Brunch!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013We have gone to Sandia for mother's day 3 years in a row now and the only problem we have had was that we always order too much food!! Everything is good and it is hard to choose what to get. The guacamole is made to order right at the table and alone is worth the trip. The only downside this year was that there was no flan on the dessert menu. An otherwise perfect visit!!Special Features:
- Best Guacamole in the area!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/5/2013My wife and I often dine at La Sandia and the service and food are outstanding. The only thing that my wife noticed was that the menu had changed:( She loves seafood:)Special Features:
- Always a fiestaGuacamolefanDined on 5/2/2013La Sandia's food never disappoints. Besides the always great 'made at the table' fresh guacamole they are always wiling and able to create our requested dishes, even if they are off the menu . Love the ambiance, never had bad serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food was not good at allrocioDined on 5/2/2013there were not Mexican flavor at all, tasted like can foodSpecial Features:
- Delicioso!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/30/2013My husband had the tamales and I had chicken mole poblano. Both were delicious and, thankfully, not hidden under a layer of cilantro (which we don't like.) The sangria rojo was delicious - if a little weak - but fine for a weeknight dinner with a drive home afterwards!
- A Cut Above Your Ordinary MexicanVernDined on 4/20/2013La Sandia is a cut above your ordinary run-of-the-mill Mexican restaurant. Along with the normal Mexican dishes, the chef has created some great Latin American specialties such as his chorizo empanadas, which are to die for. This is not your normal TexMex restaurant and the food tends to be quite a bit more authentic. It could be a bit more spicy, however, but then I imagine that it has been toned down for the 'gringo' crowd. Service is fantastic.Special Features:
- The dinner itself was great,DCAfoodieVIPDined on 4/18/2013The dinner itself was great, and we had a very pleasant and accommodating server. However, we sat at the bar for a bit after dinner (around 9 pm), and were very surprised to see the bar staff cleaning the bar and basically shutting things down right in front of the patrons, during operating hours. This seemed odd to the both of us, with us both thinking that these activities should take place after hours. Hardly a way to encourage your guests to enjoy the bar area (and keep people around). The management really needs to rethink this...
- A surprisingly good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/13/2013For some reason, I never really viewed this place as a top option when I dine in the Tysons Corner mall, but after a few meals there, I've got to say that I'm a convert. The food has always been very good, and the service always attentive. The ribs are a sleeper on the menu. You'd never think of a Mexican joint having good ribs, but they are some of the best in the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostess seated us immediately.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2013Hostess seated us immediately. We were a group of 7 and arrived at 9PM. This was my 1st time at the restaurant however a couple of people in our group had come before. No waiters came to us until I went back to the hostess after being seated for over 15 min. Finally got our Chips/Salsa, took our beverage order and again disappeared for over 10 min. Upon his return he stated that the entire crew is exhausted as they had a busy night. Bad service, cold food. Did not even refill our water. The best part of the evening at La Sandia were the mints that I picked up when leaving this restaurant.
- It was pretty good Mexican.outnaboutVIPDined on 4/13/2013It was pretty good Mexican. The tortilla soup was way too salty - had to send it back. Chips and salsa are outstanding. Corn soup was very good, though almost too sweet. Traditional margarita was much better than the top end margarita. I thought the Carnes Asada was very good, and wife thought the Chicken dish was outstanding. Decor is upscale mall - thought it would be a little nicer ambiance. Waiter was very knowledgable, if a a little talkative. We decided we'd probably be back, though it wasn't out of this world.Special Features:
- Serious Upscale Mexican in a MallRLCinVAVIPDined on 3/28/2013The monthly festivals have been wonderful. First teh chili relleno, then the tamales, next the guacamole. Love this place. don't be fooled by the mall location, this is a serious restaurant!Special Features:
- Service was perfect. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2013Service was perfect. Food was amazing! Glad we picked this place, and we'll be back!Special Features:
- Great Customer Service!ChattyGirlDined on 3/12/2013My parents were celebrating their 52nd wedding anniversary and had JUST flown in from CA. They were tired and hungry and Emily and Juan made them welcome by greeting us and wishing them Happy Anniversary! Then Victor, our server, was very attentive and quick with the drinks. The surprise tres leches cake with sparkler at the end of the meal was especially nice and having Juan come over to speak to my Mom in Spanish with a sincere interest was the perfect ending to their long travel day! Love this place, and will always go back - but this night, they were especially spot on!!!Special Features:
- Absolutely MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/9/2013The restaurant is in a mall and it is absolutely mediocre and overpriced given the overall ambiance, food, service and overall experience..No water was offered from start to end. Drinks were ok. Mango Mojito was too sweet for my liking or I guess I should have informed about the level of sweetness I prefer. I ordered BBQ chicken chipotle salad which was good. Chicken Mole Poblano looked awful, no presentation at all.. but sauce was mole sauce was good. They did not bother to check if we wanted to eat dessert. For that price, I would recommend Seasons 52, Brio or Costal Flats. We have always loved the vibrant atmosphere in these restaurants.. Thought La Sandia would be good but not that great..
- No More La Sandia for Us!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2013Considering this is a Richard Sandoval restaurant we expected much more than we got from this establishment. It is inside the Tyson's Corner Center and activity around the restaurant is very hectic. We were seated on the indoor patio which was quite loud. Our waiter seemed overworked and showed up sporadically since he was also waiting on tables inside. I had tamales which were too dry and the filling was very sparse. The watermelon margarita was small (for $9.00), had very little alcohol and was filled with too many chunks of watermelon. Linda's enchiladas were chewy and not warm enough. Guacamole was too chunky and, believe me, I like chunky guac - but it was not mixed together properly. Selection of tequilas was quite good for Va.
- I love the feel of this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/9/2013I love the feel of this place. The food was super yummy and be sure to order the guacamole.Special Features:
- The homemade guacamole isOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/3/2013The homemade guacamole is outstanding, a must if you go.
- Great for a ladies nite out.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2013Great for a ladies nite out. Also good for vegetarians.
- Good food - especially inOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/24/2013Good food - especially in a mall! Tamales are greatSpecial Features:
- Great dining experience!birthdayDined on 2/16/2013Great dining experience! Guacamole was excellent as a starter! For a lighter dish the fish tacos are an excellent choice suggested by our server as well as the enchiladas!! Must try the "can't decide" dessert choice. Te tres leche and banana empanada are incredible!! The service was excellent and we would definitely dine again!!Special Features:
- Food/Drink/Service TrifectaOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/15/2013This was our first visit to La Sandia - and it certainly won't be our last. From the margaritas (strong and flavorful), to the chips/salsa (warm and authentic), to the food itself (creative and tasty), to the service (attentive without being intrusive) the experience was a total success. The sopas de carnitas appetizer was an amazing combination of flavors - so good I almost ordered another one (it only came with three semi-small portions). The spicy orange margarita was as described (and I liked it) but I switched back to the cadillac tradicional as it was outstanding! Don't let the fact that this restaurant in a mall deter you from going - you'll be glad you did!Special Features:
- Food was excellent and soOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Food was excellent and so was the service. A little on the loud side but then what place isn't where the food and spirits are lovely.....;-)Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013I enjoy the happy hour specials. I've told others about it.Special Features:
- The food at La Sandia wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013The food at La Sandia was amazing. The restaurant was beautiful. The drinks were VERY tasty. My service was not good at all, but I don't think it was a reflection of the overall service. I saw all of the other wait staff performing outstandingly and with ease, I think it was just my waiter. I would definitely eat there again.Special Features:
- The food was terrific, weOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013The food was terrific, we got shrimp and steak fajitas.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant thatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Wonderful restaurant that my sister and I tried on Valentine's Day - the guacamole appetizer is muy delicioso!Special Features:
- This was not my first tripOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/10/2013This was not my first trip to this restaurant. The food as usual was good. The noise was too loud, and the service wasn't that great.Special Features:
- I ordered the chicken tacos.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/7/2013I ordered the chicken tacos. The chicken was extremely dry and the tortillas were like eating cardboard. The plain rice was the best part. Our server also kept disappearing but did manage to keep our water filled.
- The dinner and service weOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/2/2013The dinner and service we received was exceptional. The food arrived promptly and the service was cheerful and courteous. It was a lovely evening.