7852L Tysons Corner Center
McLean, VA 22102Neighborhood:
Tysons Corner / McLean
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/lasandiavirginia/index.htm
- Phone: 7038932222x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm to close; Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm; Hora Feliz: Sunday-Friday 4:00pm to 9:00pm at the bar and patio area. (Happy hour is first come, first serve basis)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Gamaliel Coronado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chef Richard Sandoval, internationally recognized as the Father of Modern Mexican Cuisine, elevates Mexican cooking to new heights at La Sandia. Inspired by his culinary mantra of ‘old ways, new hands,’ Chef Sandoval reinterprets traditional dishes with innovative techniques and presentation.
- Private Party Contact: JC Sanabria 8775097635
- Special Events: La Sandia's dynamic private and semi-private spaces accommodate parties of 20-300 guests. Our special events team will work with you to tailor a lunch, dinner or cocktail reception that meets your special event needs.
A word from La Sandia
Internationally acclaimed Chef Richard Sandoval, recognized as the Father of Modern Mexican Cuisine, is expanding his culinary reach with La Sandia Mexican Kitchen & Bar. At La Sandia, Chef Sandoval combines authentic Mexican ingredients with contemporary cooking techniques to create light dishes with vibrant, contrasting flavors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Sandia reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (22)great for lunch (15)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (9)kid-friendly (9)vibrant bar scene (5)neighborhood gem (4)romantic (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Don't go to this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/27/2009Don't go to this restaurant. This was one of the worst meals that I have ever had. The food arrived and looked as if random leftovers had been tossed together and tasted worse. Service was strange at best and the margaritas a mixture of lime juice and seltzer. The food is NOT good. I will never go to this restaurant again.
- Overall the staff was fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/26/2009Overall the staff was fabulous but the hostess wanted to place us in the worst tables in the entire place. It was for the most part open and she first put us at a table where we would have literally been sitting on top of someone else and then she put us in an awkward spot kind of in the middle of the room. Luckily the waitress noticed we were not happy and moved us right away. The food was excellent, portions were perfect even though they were smaller for restaurant week. Pork Carnitas are out of this world, I'd eat them again and again!
- It was average. My cevicheOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/25/2009It was average. My ceviche was oversalted, overseasoned, and cooked! The tamales were very dry. Was not impressed with the restaurant though the menu looked good. My friend had the salmon and she said it was good. The drinks were very tasty. It's a good place for being at the mall, but nothing special.
- Great variety of tequila's.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2009Great variety of tequila's. Food was just...ehh (fair). Nothing really notable or especially tasty in regards to the food. Hanging out at the bar seems more appealing.
- nothing short of wonderful!KristinDined on 8/23/2009nothing short of wonderful! food was fabulous!! customer service was excellent. we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Good service, very authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2009Good service, very authentic Mexican food. Recommend the pork cantinas or the mole. Service has improved.Special Features:
- I thoroughly enjoyed the diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2009I thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience. The service was great. I would recommned the guacamole and the sangria.Special Features:
- Very good friendly service.WorldtravellerVIPDined on 8/13/2009Very good friendly service. The manager came over and acknowledged that I made my reservation via OpenTable. Nice.Special Features:
- La Sandia was magnifico! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2009La Sandia was magnifico! The enchiladas were excellent, and my wife's salmon was cooked to perfection. The fresh guacuamole, prepared at the table, was some of the best we've had in Greater Washington; moreover, you cannot go wrong with the frozen Mango margarita. La Sandia is also very kid friendly. The kid menu offers a few traditional kiddie plates plus a beverage and scoop of ice cream for $7. To top it off, the service was outstanding! We will definitely be back! In fact, I cannot wait to take their happy hour during the week :-)Special Features:
- Great restaurant and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/22/2009Great restaurant and food! I'm annoyed that the OpenTable reservation link from the restaurant's website yields no points -- had I seen this more prominently, I would have just come to OpenTable to make my reservation and get points. Minor snafu on an otherwise delicious evening.Special Features:
- The food is all fresh, nothingVIPwithOpenTableVIPDined on 7/15/2009The food is all fresh, nothing canned. It was delicious and the service was great!Special Features:
- Good place and great mexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/29/2009Good place and great mexican food. Very Authentic. My wife and I have been back many times. Sometimes their waiters are not aware of who is sitting where, but the food is fantastic!Special Features:
- Food was very good. The waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/19/2009Food was very good. The waiter described it as a fusion of traditional Cal-Mex with a modern flair, and he was right. Portions were more restrained than a normal Cal-Mex place, but the much better quality of the ingredients and more care in preparation made up for it. The (almost out of fashion) trend of making (mashing) the Guacamole at the table has finally come to Northern Virginia, with good results (it could use some garlic and light heat, rather than the offered jalapenos).Special Features:
- This type of restaurant wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/13/2009This type of restaurant would be a lot more appealing if it were located outside of a shopping mall. The food was excellent and the service outstanding.Special Features:
- Good service, decent mexicanSunilVIPDined on 6/6/2009Good service, decent mexican menu, some attempt at authenticity in the ethnic cuisine. overall, a decent choice for a variety in your weekend leaisurely bite to eat with a glass of sangria or a margarita!Special Features:
- Let me preface this reviewMattVIPDined on 6/3/2009Let me preface this review by saying that you would have to consider Tysons Corner a neighborhood for this to be a "neighborhood gem"...I actually do, and I think it's great that chef Richard Sandoval opened a restaurant in our mall. The main mistake we made was eating SO many tortilla chips because the salsa was DEE-lish-ous, and then chasing those with the "appetizer" tamales, which could be a meal in themselves (and also sport a wonderful sauce)...I enjoyed my watermelon agua fresca, and wish I hadn't ordered an entree, because we were too full for dessert! We will be back, and will order lighter, saving room for a cup of chocolate abuelita.Special Features:
- Love the food here! It's allVIPwithOpenTableVIPDined on 5/25/2009Love the food here! It's all fresh and sure tastes like it!Special Features:
- Good all around. Would recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/10/2009Good all around. Would recommend this for anyone who likes Mexican/Tex Mex food. More authentic than your typical restaurant.Special Features:
- Went to La Sandia to meetOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/8/2009Went to La Sandia to meet friends for drinks after work. The happy hour menu was affordable and tasty. I had the spicy orange margarita, which was a nice change from the normal margaritas one finds at most Mexican restaurants. The tequila flights that the restaurant offers looked quite tempting as well.Special Features:
- I was not satisfied with myOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/5/2009I was not satisfied with my first and only experience at La Sandia. I was excited to be able to celebrate Cinco de Mayo at a spanish restaurant with live music. The music and food were great, the service however was in need of work. After sitting for well over 10 minutes with no greeting of any kind from any server or manager. We were finally greeted by our server, whom i had noticed passed by about 5 times before finally noticing us. I did not feel that our server was happy to be serving us and pretty much didn't come over to the table at any timely fashion at all. Not when we had requested refills, not to ask how the food was, etc. Again, Maybe it was just the service. I would definatly go there for the food and ambiance thouhg.Special Features:
- Good mexican food is hardOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/5/2009Good mexican food is hard to find. I was very impressed.Special Features:
- They have finished their decoratingUSATravelorVIPDined on 5/2/2009They have finished their decorating since the last time we dined here. The walls are now painted and they have added candles as wall sconces. The guacamole is outstanding! The food is also outstanding! Service was very fast and attentive. The food came out quickly.Special Features:
- La Sandia means "watermelon"VIPwithOpenTableVIPDined on 4/22/2009La Sandia means "watermelon" in Spanish. The restaurant is well known for its watermelon drinks. The food is delicious and freshly prepared. Nothing comes from a canned; which is a nice change from other Mexican/Spanish restaurants. I've been to La Sandia several times and I will continue to patronize it.Special Features:
- Very good food. Service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/18/2009Very good food. Service was good, but entrees came out too quickly (long before we finished the appetizers).Special Features:
- The food was fine, howeverzanexecVIPDined on 4/7/2009The food was fine, however the host/hostess needs to pay more attention. I received a no-show notice..but I was there eating lunch with my client. We were the first to arrive at 11:30am, a little hard to miss huh?Special Features:
- We had a great meal. The restaurantChantalVIPDined on 4/5/2009We had a great meal. The restaurant called to confirm and made a point of asking if we had any special requests. They even asked if we'd prefer a booth with a long table versus a round table for our large party of 9. Waitstaff was very accomodating, attentive to the kids, and understanding of one of our guests tardiness. It was a Sunday evening and not so busy. You can't tell you're in a mall.Special Features:
- The food and drinks are great;OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/1/2009The food and drinks are great; the service good. Why allow smoking at the bar? It permeates the restaurant. Isn't Tysons Corner Center a smoke-free environment?
- The food was excellent. TheCrzy4shoozDined on 3/13/2009The food was excellent. The staff was very friendly. I enjoyed my first visit.Special Features:
- Food selections were differentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/5/2009Food selections were different and interesting. Very Tasty. A little pricey for lunch.Special Features:
- This is not the first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/24/2009This is not the first time I have been to this restaurant. They definitely have hight quality of food, with astonishing taste both for entrees and desserts.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere, good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/14/2009Nice atmosphere, good service. Carne asada was better than most in the area.Special Features:
- Food was great as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2009Food was great as always. Wait staff inattentive. It seems as if the old rule applies if you are not drinking you get second class service. I will however give this restaurant a second chance.Special Features:
- It would be nicer if it weren'tOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2009It would be nicer if it weren't located in a very active and crowded mall. Also, I get annoyed when the only music playing at a supposedly Mexican restaurant is notably Caribbean (salsa??? What happened to rancheras?)Special Features: