Castle Hill Inn
590 Ocean Ave
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Castle Hill Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.castlehillinn.com/
- Phone: 4018493885x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday through Thursday, 5:45pm to 9:00pm;
Friday & Saturday, 5:45pm to 10:00pm
Lunch: Monday through Saturday, 11:30am to 3:00pm
Sunday Brunch: with live Jazz 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday through Saturday, 3:00pm to 8:00pm
Food: Sunday through Thursday, 11:30am to 7:00pm; Friday & Saturday, 11:30am to 8:30pm
Beverage: Sunday through Thursday, 11:30am to 8:00pm; Friday & Saturday, 11:30am to 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Karsten Hart
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Castle Hill Inn is the perfect place to hold your next event. Corporate Events: Private, elegant, Castle Hill Inn offers an appropriate setting for executive meetings and social events. From corporate retreats to fundraisers, lectures, business seminars, reunions, and large cocktail parties, the Castle Hill Inn staff has the experience and flexibility to enhance a variety of occasions. Social Events: Spend your next special occasion with us in Victorian elegance, whether planning an Anniversary, Wedding Shower or Corporate Dinner. We provide award-winning cuisine, exceptional service and the best sunset views in Newport.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Andrade 4012484951x
A word from Castle Hill Inn
The Mansion's chefs artfully craft fresh local fish, regional meats, and produce into a distinctly native, seasonal menu, served in four dining rooms within the Inn. On The Lawn, the epitome of classic New England al fresco dining, think small plates and summer cocktails delivered right to your Adirondack chair. From creative cocktails to appetizers to desserts, imaginative presentation and exceptional taste characterize Castle Hill Inn's fine Dining Experiences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Castle Hill Inn - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
Castle Hill Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
265 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (237)special occasion (188)romantic (187)great for outdoor dining (182)fit for foodies (119)great for lunch (110)notable wine list (99)great for brunch (88)good for groups (47)neighborhood gem (41)hot spot (29)kid-friendly (29)vibrant bar scene (22)late-night find (2)Show More
- Outstanding in every wayZsaZsaDined on 8/18/2014AMAZING!!! Must dine here when in Newport! Glorious site. Impecable service, specialty drinks were so delightful! Food... incomparable!Special Features:
- Spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I consider Castle Hill to be our favorite restaurant. We have been to many restaurants around the world but nothing beats the food, service and ambience of Castle Hill. We are blessed to be fairly close and visit at least twice per year. It is too special a place to go more frequently. The sunset, while we were contemplating our wine and then coffee/desert, was a special treat this visit. We already look forward to our next visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bobybDined on 8/17/2014We had a great time. The food was amazing and the view spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible view, great foodmeyerwooVIPDined on 8/15/2014You can't beat the view of Newport Bridge from the lawn, while sitting on an Adirondack or enjoying your lunch outdoors. Great good, great service, great view. A summer tradition for us whenever we visit Newport.Special Features:
- Best views in NewportKkhesterVIPDined on 8/14/2014A memorable birthday lunch on The Lawn- perfect service, knowledgable waitstaff. Salads were very good; tuna appetizer with jalapeño jam was a favorite. Great spot - make reservation ahead of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/12/2014We had a four course dinner with wine pairing. Our waiter was outstanding! He was very attentive but he gave us plenty of time to talk with our friends, look over the menu and make our choices. We were not rushed. We were treated like royalty. I will definitely returnand highly recommend Castle Hill for a special evening. The food was amazing! The view of the sunset was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - excellent viewCulinary1234Dined on 8/11/2014The food was good but the view was amazing. Service tableside was EXCELLENT. The seating hostess (lady and gentleman) not so much. A bit snooty and not very friendly. With that being said, we always go back because it's so beautiful there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World class lunch with a viewCharlieDined on 8/11/2014We recently had lunch at the Castle Hill Inn. The overall experience was outstanding. Let's start with the superb food. The oysters were fresh, chilled properly and very tasty. Our party had the grilled swordfish and the lobster and fluke etouffe. Both were excellent. for drinks we had Greyhounds and a nice Kim Crawford Sav Blanc. The service was excellent. Efficient but unobtrusive. The setting can only be described as outstanding. Being August, we sat outside on the terrace. All the tables have excellent water views. The day was beautiful. Sunny ad temperatures in the high 70's with a slight breeze. This created an ever changing view with the boats cruising by. Good value for the money at a high end restaurant.Special Features:
- one of the bestBerylVIPDined on 8/10/2014Inn at Castle Hill is one of the best dining spots in the country. It is as cosistently outstanding as it was in our experiences there over the past 20 years. Well worththe price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous !!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014Wonderful staff, delicious food and unbelievable view! Your visit to Newport is not complete without lunch at Castle Hill.Special Features:
- EXCELLENTSqBearandLucyDined on 8/8/2014I gave them a huge review on Yelp. Loved every bit of this entire experience. I will most definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience Inn at Castle HilltjjeVIPDined on 8/4/2014Always a fabulous experience. Beautiful views, attentive service, fabulous meals - a joy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than your average best spot.RED1Dined on 8/4/2014Great spot for lunch or dinner. Outdoor seating is a must during good weather. Overlooks Narragansett bay with views of the ships going by, the outer harbor, Newport bridge, Jamestown and fort Adams. Menu is very good. A bit pricey but worth it for special occasions. Staff is very knowledgeable and the food is excellently prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, friendly but not wowTravelingAngelDined on 8/3/2014We've been coming to the Inn at Castle Hill for years although it had been a while. Our 29th anniversary and we were excited by the jazz brunch. When we arrived, we were greeted by very friendly hostesses and sat inside because of weather. There was no jazz. I'd pictured live music but there wasn't any. I think there may have been jazz piped into the outdoor area, but not really what I'd call a "jazz brunch." Waitress was lovely, service good, food okay. English muffin wasn't fully toasted with my eggs Benedict, which was average. Dessert was meh and not a great selection - probably why most people around us ordered ice cream. I still love this place for the view and history. Just wish I'd been wow'ed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing!DowntonDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I have dined at the Castle Hill Inn for over 20 years. Recently, the deterioration of the culinary aspect has become quite apparent to our chagrin. The menu is extremely limited and not well prepared. Daniel was our outstanding and very knowledgeable server who made the experience tolerable. The chef should be ashamed of the quality of fare. The duck was tough and undercooked, the pork offering was also bland and tough. The deconstructed "strawberries and cream" was tasteless. The Castle Hill Inn no longer even serves clam chowder. When they did, it was so watery that it was laughable. The cookie dough soufflé redeemed the dinner. It looks as if we'll be looking for another place to dine in the future. The Spiced Pear?Special Features:
- 5 Stars Across the BoardJTaylorOfNYCDined on 8/1/2014It was pretty magical...one of the high spots of our trip. Not only was the food great, but the service was spectacular and lastly, the views set a moment that will not soon be forgotten. Put this one on your list if you plan to visit Newport and tell them you'd like to eat outdoors!Special Features:
- Will make any day or event special!LynnVIPDined on 8/1/2014We pulled into town and headed straight for Castle Hill. Their outdoor dining is a step above any others. Their servers are young but passionate about their job and newport! Which is rare. We loved every minute of our experience there. The brushetta appetizer is a must. The oysters were so fresh and delicious. The lobster roll made my mouth water before I even took a bite. My husband got the filet wrap special and it was amazing as well! Just over the top good!Special Features:
- Great summer lunchStefanaDined on 7/31/2014I had just recommended Castle Hill for lunch for some friends vacationing on the Cape who were on their way to Newport for the day. My son and i dined there the next day. Comparing notes, it was a big success for both parties. Great menu, great service and lovely location. Pricey but worth it for a special day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GorgeousfranklymydearDined on 7/29/2014We enjoyed a a magical evening with special friends at this heavenly location. The setting is gorgeous, the food amazing and the service outstanding. Do not miss a night here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So terrific!TheaterdinerDined on 7/29/2014With that wonderful view, great service, and excellent food (sumptuous lobster salad), it is one of my favorite spots of the summer. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloverVIPDined on 7/28/2014With my handsome husband, excellent food, great wine, spectacular view, what a wonderful way to celebrate our anniversary. Thank you Castle Hill Staff.Special Features:
- Amazing!Patti2013Dined on 7/26/2014A wonderful location and the view is just to die for! Our waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. Truly made this a unique experience. We will surely return.Special Features:
- Don't go on a budgetnicknamenicknameVIPDined on 7/26/2014Excellent food, service and particularly good presentation. We had the three course which is the least expensive of the set menu options. Courses were not huge but satisfactory. The waiter explained the composition of each dish beautifully. The view of Narragansett Bay's East Passage is, of course, unbelievable. Boats can come within about twenty feet of the rocks and are visible across the extensive lawn. A must visit in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKjoshVIPDined on 7/26/2014We've eaten at Castle Hill several times but I don't think we will be going back again. The food is fine but that's not good enough for a restaurant in this price range ($250 for two with no alcohol). We started with the oysters which were the only excellent part of the meal. I then had the scallops, which were decent but not outstanding, and the lobster which was also just good. My girlfriend had the calamari, which was also fine, and the duck which was good. For desert I had the cookie dough souffle, if that sounds like an odd choice for a souffle it was, it was fairly mundane.Special Features:
- Fantastic Service and ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/26/2014How can you not enjoy the best view in Newport. The food and service were also spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely viewLvVvDined on 7/25/2014The Inn at Castle Hill should be a destination for all. I enjoy the scenic view and the lovely service . It was one of the best lobster salads of my summer. My other favorites are Quitos and Matunick Oyster Bar. Enjoy this gem in our backyard !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAN10JULY24Dined on 7/24/2014From the parking attendant when we arrived to everyone who served us, it was truly a night to remember, especially because it was a special occasion. Brian was engaging, knowledgeable about both the wine list and how the dinner entrees were prepared. He also enlightened us about the local history and points of interest. We look forward to our next visit to Castle Hill Inn.Special Features:
- PerfectRyboflavin18Dined on 7/23/2014This place is wonderful! Very expensive, but completely worth it for a special occasion. I took my fiancée here for our engagement dinner, and we couldn't have been happier with our experience. The food, the service, the atmosphere - all top-notch! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014Whether you are going for drinks on the lawn, lunch on the patio or dinner in the formal dining room this place is incredibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al fresco delightSGM1Dined on 7/18/2014This is a lovely venue offering a wide range of delicious food in a spectacularly beautiful location. Friendly waitstaff too. Top of my list for Newport dining choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic settingDaffyDined on 7/18/2014The Setting is fabulous. There's a great view of the bay/ocean and all the boats. Bit of a throwback to another era. Would go back in a heartbeat. Food was good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and scenic drive.ChipDined on 7/15/2014We stopped for lunch on our way to Cape Cod. The drive through Newport to get there was beautiful. The Inn is very quaint and the food ranged from the best lobster roll we had eaten to burned dry shrimp topping a decent Caesar. Service was good and we would go back. Hopefully the chef will brush up on grilling shrimp.Special Features:
- Gastronomy with a viewfoodloverDined on 7/13/2014Very pricey but worth every penny if celebrating a special occasion. Excellent food and wine with a very knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Castle HillOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/10/2014Granted, it was not a rainy evening.........summer perfection, we'd say. The water views, approaching sunset, sunset, after sunset colors were straight from a wonderful series of professional postcards. The starters and entrees, the service and ambiance provided all the extra enhancement we needed to call it a 9 out of 10 experience. (We don't give 10's!) Professional, not stuffy. Elegant, but not stuffy. Very, very special experience. The wines served were our own, which, in itself, is another wonderful benefit of this restaurant. We have a unique collection and it is always............ I mean ALWAYS, a pleasure to be able to enjoy our own wines. The corkage fee is more than fair and the food and wine pairings were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best View for LunchJdafoulasDined on 7/9/2014Excellent meal. The view is breathtaking. Nice option to sit on adirondack chairs after dining. Our year and a half old nephew loved it too!Special Features:
- Dinner, July of 2014NewportDined on 7/7/2014We enjoyed a before dinner drink in the outdoor covered bar and enjoyed the fabulous view. Then dinner in the dining room was wonderful. Food and level of service is what one would expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JML51VIPDined on 7/7/2014It started with the hostess who barely acknowledged our presence and acted as though we were bothering her. BTW - she had dirty hair, no makeup and a housedress on. Our waiter was very attentive but we made the mistake of asking questions of the somellier and he was as friendly as the hostess. The food was barely average, which was a real disappointment, since the food has always been exceptional. I had duck which was overcooked, tough and tasteless. My husband had lobster that also had no flavor and the portion was so small, you could hardly see it. The menu choice was 3 or 5 courses only. Will not be in a hurry to go there any time soon. Such a shame.Special Features:
- Most beautiful location in NewportellebeeDined on 7/5/2014Sat inside and dined on the evening on the 4th. Had a great seat by the window to watch the sunset and then fireworks. Had the 3 course fixed dinner and everything was immaculate. Best venue in Newport by a landslide. Looking forward to going back and staying here at the inn and also trying the brunch on the lawn.Special Features:
- EmmyDined on 7/5/2014The food, service and view were outstanding. We were there for over 3 hours after having a great cocktail at the outside bar. Would highly recommend this restaurant and look forward to returning in the future.Special Features:
- Great serviceJeb0084VIPDined on 7/5/2014Service was amazing. Can not beat the views! Food was very good, the dessert was underwhelming. 3 course menu is a great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.