Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa
41 Tunnel Road
Berkeley, CA 94705Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.paragonrestaurant.com/berkeley.html
- Phone: 5105498585x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily - 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Paragon Panorama Room can accommodate parties of 20 - 50 people for dining and up to 100 people for cocktail receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Paragon Private Events 5105498591x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Friday and Saturday night, 8pm - 11pm
- Special Events: Consider Paragon for your next special event. Whether it's a birthday, anniversary, wedding or baby shower, rehearsal dinner or full wedding, we have the perfect location, menu and private dining offerings to fit your needs. For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 510 549 8591.
A word from Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa
Paragon is a neighborhood gastropub serving ingredient-driven, honest food, craft beers, unique cocktails and eclectic wines. Located inside the landmark Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, Paragon features upscale gastropub cuisine designed by Chef Marcos Sanchez, plus a large selection of hand-shaken cocktails, craft beers and an eclectic wine list. Our famous outdoor deck offers beautiful vistas of the rolling hillsides and on a clear day, a beautiful vantage point of the entire San Francisco skyline. We feature live jazz every Friday and Saturday night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (69)great for outdoor dining (57)great for lunch (32)special occasion (30)good for groups (21)neighborhood gem (20)great for brunch (19)fit for foodies (15)vibrant bar scene (14)romantic (11)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Lovely lunch spotRobertaDined on 1/16/2014Whether business or personal, I love Paragon for lunch, especially on a clear day when the views are spectacular. The food and service are consistently high quality, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch BunchgoodfoodDined on 1/15/2014Five ladies met for lunch. It was just "O.K." Food was nothing special. Any one of us could have made the same thing at home easily. Small portions, overpriced too. Service was good. The reason we went there had to do with nostalgia. We'd spent many wonderful evenings at the hotel in years past, dancing, attending weddings, New Year's Eve, etc. The spectacular view was the draw. You can see the Bay and the entire San Francisco skyline from the terrace. Everything was fine but did not rise above any place we could have gone to lunch in Lafayette and Walnut Creek. Two of our party came some distance to meet (Santa Rosa and El Dorado Hills) and very much enjoyed the view. I would give the food and service a B-.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Great ExperienceMelCDined on 1/9/2014Love to go to this place. Only for special occasions because it can get a bit pricey, but well worth it. Food and service is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ViewKathyDined on 1/6/2014Even if you don't sit on the beautiful terrace, there's still a great view from inside. A gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best experience.LisaGVIPDined on 1/4/2014Unfortunately, we did not have the best experience this time. The table next to us had parents that didn't care what the kids did - like coming over to our table and trying to take our food. The waitress had too many tables and our food came out cold. We've had better experiences there, but this time it was not good. Maybe next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as AlwaysComfortZoneVIPDined on 1/3/2014You can't go wrong here and be sure to have the Grey Goose Lemon Drop Martini!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place to celebrate with friendsReillyRNDined on 12/28/2013I really like the Paragon. Its's got a great bar and big screen TVs. Even though it can get a bit noisy, it still offers a cozy ambience for a romantic dinner for two or a table of friends. The burgers are delicious, especially with the potato fries poutine. The best part is the panoramic views of San Francisco Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let down at The ClaremontErikkiDined on 12/27/2013The chowder was ho-hum, the new york was cooked as specified but was mostly gristle and bone. Baked potato was huge, and dry. Wines OK. Their "special" desert was chef made ice cream sandwich which was hard as a rock, even when the ice cream had melted. Creme Brulee was thickened with flour. Not my best experience at The Claremont.
- Oysters & Mussels Didn't DisappointStaceyBDined on 12/26/2013We went to Paragon recently for a special family lunch. In particular, we were looking forward to the mussels and raw oysters. Everyone was very satisfied with what they ordered, whether it was a standard burger or the seafood. It was a very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no Merry Christmas.....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2013there was virtually no nod to the holidays in any of the decor....the menu is limited.....the food indifferent at best.....my salad was drowning in "green goddess" (who even eats that stuff anymore!) the service also indifferent.....it is, in essence, a (very) overpriced coffee shop......Special Features:
- Good food, poor serviceoutandaboutDined on 12/22/2013It took 10 minutes for someone to take our drink and appetizer order at the rather unpacked lounge. Our dinner waiter wreaked of stale cigarettes and had a dumpy appearance. He then gave our order to the wrong table, but did not inform us of his error until he arrived with our food nearly an hour after we placed our order (again the restaurant was not packed). He did offer us two house reds for his error, but this just doesn't change our experience. I have worked as a waiter myself understand the job and can appreciate the position. This reflects upon the management as well as the waiter. I would not go out of my way to dine there again.Special Features:
- Better Experience Last TimeJennFKDined on 12/13/2013The service is great. The food was okay. I had been here a few years ago for dinner and it was AMAZING and I would have totally eat here again based on that experience. This time the food was well, but the flavor profile that was there last time was not there. Also, I went for lunch. So maybe there are different chefs.Special Features:
- Holiday lunchJoJoDined on 12/12/2013We thought it would be festive and fun to have lunch at the Claremont Hotel during the holidays so we made a reservation at Paragon. We found the experience to be lackluster. The menu was OK, but the presentation of the food wasn't great. One sandwich was dry and fell apart. Would have been better executed in salad form. The service was just so-so. Nice but not happy and fun. I doubt that I'd go back until summer when you can sit out on the deck and really enjoy the viewSpecial Features:
- Family Birthday CelebrationUncSalyDined on 11/30/2013Five of us came to the Claremont from Redwood City specifically for a sunset dinner/Birthday celebration. We were not disappointed by either the hotel staff or the restaurant staff. Both were helpful and friendly without being intrusive or overbearing. The sunset view during drinks was breathtaking. The food during dinner was among the best we ever had! This experience will certainly bring us back again. We're even thinking of an overnight at this Gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not giving thanks for ThanksgivingMaggieCDined on 11/28/2013Probably one of the worst experiences in an upscale restaurant. It was a special fixed price and fixed menu four course Thanksgiving dinner, very expensive, and upon seating at 7:30 was told they were out of the soup (we could certainly deal with that) then was told they were out of the turkey! Had to substitute a very gross, sweet ravioli concoction. The substituted soup tasted like watered down pizza sause. We were really disappointed, having looked forward to this holiday meal with our family.Special Features:
- MagicKmartDined on 11/21/2013Great Staff beautifully picturesque high class ambiance. Precision made cocktail Concoctions with flare. Gastronomical delights aboundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Budget...Lubguban6Dined on 11/15/2013Great food, great view, great company, although our server could have smiled a bit more, I won't let that keep me from going back!Special Features:
- Perfect for business or romance.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/10/2013Perfect for business or romance. Food above average. Noise level can be high, but tables are far enough apart that conversations are still private. Service good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Tragic ExperienceJulesVIPDined on 11/7/2013I went to dinner with 3 friends from work. Paragon has become our "go to" place until Thursday evening. I go to Paragon a lot because I live just up the hill--NEVER AGAIN! We decided to eat in the bar and were having a pleasant conversation when two women ended up seated next to us with 2 small, unruly children. They were so bad that they were climbing over chairs and running around the table. When my friend asked them to control their kids, the women, who were on their 2nd martini, started harassing us. I got up and asked the hostess to do something and she did nothing! One of the women even used the "F-Word" then left. We asked for the manager and he gave us a bunch of excuses with no resolution. Will not go back!
- one luncheon order of a largeJoeSDined on 11/7/2013one luncheon order of a large salad was geat, the pasa order was blandtSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BAD service w/ever changing menuKbAlamoDined on 11/7/2013Always push this place for lunch meetings. Personally love ambiance and location. Unfortunately, the service has gone from bad to worse. I feel like they don't care because they tack on 20% gratuity if you have 4 or more people regardless. Oh, and they don't TELL you they are doing that either! Took 20 minutes and 2 reminders for glass of wine. On top of that, plain rude deamor. Just all around disappointing. Hopefully someone else can take over and do better!!Special Features:
- Overpriced, mediocre foodOakland13Dined on 10/26/2013There is a nice view but I should have known after having a lackluster meal at the Portland location once, years ago, that I might have the same experience at the Berkeley location as well. I'm pretty sure it was more expensive this time around as well, being attached to the Claremont Hotel. This isn't a bad review. There's decent service and a great view, but the food is just straight up mediocre and far too expensive for what it is. I've eaten many a burger twice as good for half the price.Special Features:
- sunday lunchcelebrationVIPDined on 10/20/2013tuna tartare was outstanding; pear salad was good but not outstanding, (wish i was not trying to eat healthy); waitress was very attentive, not overly and fine with us changing tables once one in the sun opened up. Loved sitting outsideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TammyChanelDined on 10/14/2013Enjoy the view and the foods and the services where spend my value time got bonded with the girls :) Strongly recommended to any romantic couple or a group of girls day / night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I had a very niceMikeMDined on 10/11/2013My wife and I had a very nice dinner. We both had the salmon special and it was fantastic, along with a very nice bottle of wine. I have been to Paragon many ties and it is almost always a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Viewjmdrake63Dined on 10/9/2013The Claremont over looks the SF Bay from the Berekely side. It was a nice clear day so the views were great. Nice place to meet for lunch. Really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Poor option for a business dinnerSadExecDined on 10/8/2013The restaurant is in a glorious location with a beautiful view, but we didn't get to see it from where we were sitting. I brought in some clients who were in town for business, hoping to wow them, and I left embarrassed that I had chosen Paragon. We were originally a table of 8. I called in advance to change the reservation to 7, but we still sat to place settings for 8. One of my guests waited 20 minutes for a cocktail, dinner plates were put in front of the wrong people, and they forgot my most important guest's dessert. They stuck us in the back, away from the view and the people, but it was still too loud to hear each other talk. The butternut squash ravioli was too sweet, but the burgers looked fantastic. It wasn't that busy.Special Features:
- Choose WiselydizzymDined on 10/4/2013Garlic fries were great. Lunch taco special so so and overpriced. The view was the star, food did not rate a must go back.Special Features:
- Scenic view, boring lunch menuSarahVainVIPDined on 10/2/2013Came here for lunch with my dad. View is awesome - so request a table with no obscured view and an umbrella - it gets hot up there! The menu is a generic lunch menu - club sandwich, burger, grilled cheese, salads. The wine list is small so we used the wine list from the restaurant, Meritage. My club was basically on white bread, and was bearable. The frites were ok. Overall you go here for the view and the experience - Claremont is a beautiful hotel and it's worth the visit. The indoor restaurant is modern and nice too, with a large bar and live music in the evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved everything. Wanted anKathyDined on 9/27/2013Loved everything. Wanted an umbrella moved but was told not possible so we (2 elderly) baked in the sun. I made reservations at least a week ahead and thought would be able to get a better table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Berkeley stand-buyal5galDined on 9/21/2013Wonderful burger, pasta, good salads. Nice wines. As always, a lively bar scene and great service from a hard-working waiter, who seemed to be the only waiter in our entire area. We ate in back room for the advantage of less noise. Unfortunately, the room has a cafeteria feeling to it, far less hip than the bar. The view is beautiful from both areas, but the separate dining room feels like a converted meeting room.Special Features:
- The Tacos my group orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2013The Tacos my group ordered were terrible -- ground up meat with no sauce -- awful. The wait staff, a woman, was abrupt and actually insinuated that my husband leave the remainder of his bill payment as a tip.Special Features:
- Disappointed in the viewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2013Overall our experience at Paragon was good however, I was very disappointed in our table location. I made the reservation three months in advance and requested outdoor seating. When we arrived I was told there was no available outdoor seating, which was not a problem except that they put our group of six at a round table in the corner . Only two seats had a view. the restaurant was packed due to a local football game, they opened up a second room, which had great views ,for a large group. I would have been nice to be seated in that room, especially since they were seating people there anyway. Most of the restaurants appeal is the view. It did not appear to me that they were trying very hard to seat people so they could enjoy the view.
- nice view, but not trying too hardOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2013I've lived in the San Francisco Bay for many years, and have always wanted to visit the restaurant at the Claremont. But, other than the view of the Bay from the roof deck of the Paragon, there isn't much to recommend this place to eat or drink. The food was uninspired, but fairly expensive. (My salmon entree could have been served at the Cheesecake Factory.) The server didn't know much about the Scotch single malts they served, and wasn't that enthusiastic about finding out more from the bar. Can't really recommend this place, I'm sorry to say. It is a pleasant enough place, if you find yourself there, and aren't overly concerned about prices.Special Features:
- We did not enjoy the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/31/2013We did not enjoy the food on this occassion and will think twice before returning.
- Nice LunchRellaDined on 8/28/2013I took my Managers to lunch to say thank you for a great job. It was the perfect spot to get away from the office. Lively ambiance and great service. They enjoyed their food selections. I enjoyed my Mac n cheese and spinach. Our waitress was awesome. I added an extra $20 in my tip by accident. As I was leaving she let me know. This was my 2nd time bringing guests to Paragon. I will be back. I drive from Sacramento for business and pleasure and this is becoming one of my favorite spots.Special Features:
- Have eaten here 4+ times,EMWilliamsDined on 8/27/2013Have eaten here 4+ times, and the service is consistently poor. While the view is lovely, the two large TVs near the bar are a most unfortunate distraction and detraction. All too bad, because this place could be stellar, but it just isn't.
- Late dinner or lunch stopDeniseLDined on 8/25/2013I've never had a bad experience with Paragon always great service and food always tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst experience Ive had at Paragon12revwVIPDined on 8/21/2013Service was the worst I have ever experienced. I have been coming to your restaurant for years . Unless I MUST come to the location for business meeting with out of town guests, I will not be back. Rude, unresponsive, and very little interest in the customer, to the point of making us all feel like we were doing them a favor by being in the room Horrible seats, repeated wrong orders were served. Other customers orders served to us. but it was the waiters and hostess ( especially) who made the experience one I will not repeatSpecial Features:
- The bar has nothing.LeungVIPDined on 8/21/2013This is a bar in a restaurant in a hotel. But I do not know why they have nothing. No pina colada. No strawberry decorate. Even Elephant Bar has these drinks. Such an incomplete bar service.Special Features: