Achiote - Grand Hyatt San Antonio
600 E. Market St.
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Achiote - Grand Hyatt San Antonio
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 2102241234
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 11:30am; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Chef Larry Eells
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Achiote River Café has a larger space capable of accommodating up to 140 people. This space also can be subdivided into thirds by wall units to match your space requirements. Dedicated wait staff are assigned to your event to ensure a high level of service. Additionally, two rooms available for parties of up to ten.
- Private Party Facilities: Private party options available
A word from Achiote - Grand Hyatt San Antonio
We've added some new spice to River Walk dining. The Achiote River Café. Featuring a very fresh menu of Latin food with Asian Influence, complemented by an extensive wine list, many from Argentina and Chile. Indoor or riverside dining available. Achiote River Café. An intriguing new direction in River Walk dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Achiote - Grand Hyatt San Antonio reviews from OpenTable diners
- Conveniently located nextJEC352Dined on 2/11/2012Conveniently located next to the Convention Center, Achiote is on the Riverwalk extension with outdoor and indoor seating. There was a special price on the buffet, but I opted for the fixed price menu, which turned out to be the Valentine's Day preview with a surf and turf theme. It was delicious and well paced, with an excellent chocolate hazelnut cake for dessert. The staff was attentive, despite the large convention crowds, but not intrusive. The crowd made it a little noisy, but I never felt rushed.Special Features:
- Quiet and limitedTbattersVIPDined on 1/22/2012It was convienient. Menu is limited to 5 or 6 entries, but it was very good tasting?Special Features:
- Nothing inspiring about foodJSimDined on 9/6/2011Nothing inspiring about food or service. Nice decor. Nice bar upstairs in hotel.Special Features:
- Different taste then usualOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2011Different taste then usual meals but outstanding!! We can't wait to eat there again!Special Features:
- Great view of the RiverwalkOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/22/2011Great view of the Riverwalk and cool night scene with the lights changing color over the bar. The food was good and presentation was done right. I will definitely return...Special Features:
- There was a convention inOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/16/2011There was a convention in town and service suffered because of it. The food was so so
- Never againR1048VIPDined on 7/23/2011I wasn't impressed with the food at all. My Saltado had way too much salt. The spring roll had deli meat in it. Our server was very kind.Special Features:
- uncooperativeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/20/2011waiter and maitre de both failed to mark my reservation filled so I did not get the open table points. had to email open table, provide receipt etc etc etc, what a nuisance.
- Food was an odd kind of fusionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2011Food was an odd kind of fusion that mostly worked but the restaurant was eerily empty on a night is was tough to get reservations elsewhere
- Wonderful appetizers…The entreesPERFECTIONVIPDined on 6/14/2011Wonderful appetizers…The entrees could have used more offerings.Special Features:
- Fusion flavor abounds..veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2011Fusion flavor abounds..very good dishes and overall a pleasurable experience. Our server was helpful and informative..Will be eating there again.Special Features:
- We had dinner at Achiote,HKinHTownVIPDined on 5/21/2011We had dinner at Achiote, and it was excellent. Great food, good service and good ambience. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful, Unexpected Tastes.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2011Great food - very fusion - wonderful, unexpected tastes. I highly recommend Achiote for dining and visiting (great food in a more relaxed ambiance).Special Features:
- Great "at table" presentationBZV143Dined on 5/12/2011Great "at table" presentation of the guacamole appetizer; waitstaff was excellent and attentive; menu is severely limited.Special Features:
- The noise level was deafening.boumoniisabelVIPDined on 3/28/2011The noise level was deafening. The designers made every surface bright and shiny and reflective of every sound. Our server was covering a large section on her own could not possibly give any one the attention that she should. I have to question the management's judgement on staffing at a peak time of day with a major convention in the area.
- Nice atmosphere sitting byOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/25/2011Nice atmosphere sitting by the riverwalk. I went when it was not busy and staff was slow.
- Service was fairly attentive.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2011Service was fairly attentive. The food was good, but not as original as I was hoping. I ordered the mooshu pork empanadas and the "hot pot". The empanadas, while tasty, seemed more like bbq than mooshu pork. The hot pot was nice in that you could pick whatever combination of items you wanted. I ordered the coconut citrus sauce, which was fine, but the flavor was pretty mild. The tropical iced tea, while tasty, was not worth the $5 they charged for it. That's an obscene price for an iced tea.
- I loved the relaxed and comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/18/2011I loved the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. Service was impeccable and the iceberg salad has the most amazing dressing I have ever tasted. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- The best that can be saidOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/11/2010The best that can be said for the restaurant is the location and scenic view. Though the food was not bad, it was not comperable to the cost. Extensive mark up on the wine, in some case twice the amount of retail price. Service was adequate and staff was friendly. Overall restaurant is nice and good ambiance but a bit expensive for what you get.Special Features:
- Went there for ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/25/2010Went there for Thanksgiving buffet. The Prime Rib & mashed potatoes were good, but rest was plain and service was just ok. Being seated at a table for 2 with another couple sharing bench seats a foot away was a little discomforting.
- Good food, great view of theOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/13/2010Good food, great view of the Riverwalk, very slow service. Good piano player, but loud music inside; sit outside if you want to hear your dinner guests talk.
- A wonderful restaurant awayOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/7/2010A wonderful restaurant away from the main hubbub of the River Walk, while still on the Riverwalk-but not in the hectic section!Special Features:
- I was in San Antonio for businessQuanDined on 11/5/2010I was in San Antonio for business and was looking for something close but tasty. Low and behold, Achiote!!! Service was amazing. Staff was knowledgeable and made great recommendations. Table side guacamole was phenominal!! Well priced at under $30.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2010The food was outstanding. My wife had the paella and I had the seafood fettuccine, both of which we'd recommend to any diner. The paella rice had an almost risotto creaminess to it and the seafood in both dishes was bountiful. Our server was very friendly, but as noted by some other reviewers, seemed to disappear from time to time which caused our water to run low and our wine to run out. The Achiote features live jazz music. The evening we were there they had a jazz duo consisting of a guitar and bass player. They were very good and the volume was perfect - loud enough to enjoy and quiet enough for conversation..Special Features:
- Lovely setting on the RiverWalkDuke1988VIPDined on 10/9/2010Lovely setting on the RiverWalk in San Antonio. Wonderful wine and cheese pairings. We kept losing our waiter, however!Special Features:
- The outdoor patio overlookingAndyVIPDined on 10/9/2010The outdoor patio overlooking the Riverwalk is small, but the inside decor is very nice as well. The restaurant specializes in a $15 buffet lunch that had many unusual and tasty choices. The service was extremely accommodating.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2010Wonderful food and great service. We had a great time!!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised withOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/2/2010Pleasantly surprised with this restaurant. The table side guacamole was very good (The cumin was a unique twist!). My wife had the hugely portioned breaded chicken dish, which she enjoyed, and I absolutely loved the paella! Our waiter made a great wine selection choosing the Alcance Carmenere. We enjoyed our experience and look forward to dining here again.Special Features:
- When we arrived we were seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/1/2010When we arrived we were seated immediately near the bar and outdoor patio. The restaurant had one other couple in it the entire time we dined. The table side guacamole were a great choice. We selected the yucca chicken breast and roasted pig as our entrees. Great flavor. The service and ambiance were great up to this point; however we were quickly swarmed by bees coming into the restaurant from the outdoors. The waitstaff didn't notice for some time that I was having to fight the bees off of my food. Once they came over to help they took us further into the restaurant only to have the bees follow. After they overcame the bee situation the manager came over and offered comp dessert.Special Features:
- We very much enjoyed our anniversarOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/18/2010We very much enjoyed our anniversary dinner at Achiote. The bartender overheard us mention it and gave us some shots, which was great, and the waitress was also very friendly. Food was very good too.Special Features:
- Whether you choose the riverChanterelleVIPDined on 9/17/2010Whether you choose the river walk view or the bustling kitchen this restaurant is bound to please with its interesting views. I opted for the kitchen view with its quietly productive chefs putting out delicious dishes. The martini was cold and dry with gin and olives. Tortilla soup was very good and the empanada also. The high point was the slow roasted lamb shank. It was tender and succulent. Do not miss out on the pineapple tart for dessert. It is warm and has a pineapple upside down flavor and with a topper of pineapple ice cream it is a perfect sharable dessert.Special Features:
- Everything about Achiote wentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2010Everything about Achiote went beyond expectations, the only flaw was drinks coming from the bar were bit slow, but were fabulous..One to go back to.Special Features:
- Service was excellent - attentive,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2010Service was excellent - attentive, but not intrusive. The paella was very tasty as were the beef/chicken fajitas. The complimentary corn bread was also very good. Our party went for an early dinner so there were not very many people, but it was still a very enjoyable evening. Would definely return.Special Features:
- Most every thing was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/4/2010Most every thing was great. One of our party had ordered the lamb that wasn't as tender as he'd expected, but the wait staff resolved the issue without much fan fare.Special Features:
- As a novice wine lover, IOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2010As a novice wine lover, I reserved a table for 10 to celebrate my 27th birthday at Achiote specifically to partake of their wine flights and enjoy an evening on their outdoor patio. The staff was incredibly slow and unattentive and knew nothing about the wine and cheese flights they were serving, placing the them on the table in no specific order and claiming it didn't matter! We had to ask for every little thing we needed, resorting to stopping other servers and busboys to get service. I would NOT recommend Achiote for ANY event, special occassion or even a nice dinner while on the Riverwalk. Achiote has the potential to be a lovely experience, but cannot deliver on customer service. Don't waste your time here.
- We were looking forward toOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/3/2010We were looking forward to the Latin cuisine, and disappointed to get their American buffet (fried chicken, salads, mash potatoes and meat loaf) but since we were in town for a huge convention, just guessed they set this up to accomodate the masses. Not sure if it's always like this. Food was good, but nothing special. Ambience was fabulous, great amosphere and live music was great. Service was mediocre at best as it took forever to get a high chair, drinks, the check, etc. Would be willing to give it another try because it was so visually delightful and located very close to our convention. Sad that they allow smoking in dining areas, but again, I think that's San Antonio culture, sadly.Special Features:
- Our first dinner in San AntonioOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2010Our first dinner in San Antonio was at the Achiote, chosen because we were staying at the Grand Hyatt. After reading online reviews, our expectations were high, but the entire meal was a disappointment. We ordered a variety of dishes and all were mediocre; the paella was actually worse than that. Our waitress was friendly and probably did her best, but her inexperience shone through glaringly. With so many restaurants of much better quality in San Antonio, we would not recommend this restaurant.
- Didn't really do anythingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2010Didn't really do anything for me...the tableside guacamole was excellent, but that reall about it for me I don't even remember what I had...
- Overall, I would give it aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/10/2010Overall, I would give it a 3/5. Unfortunately, I did not like the cuisine and it takes a certain type of stomach to enjoy that food. I had the pallela and my girlfriend had the lamb. I didn't care for both and think that while it was good quality food, it did not surpass my expectations. The only thing that saved the evening was the tres leches slice for $6. As for the server, she seemed to be short staffed and would be rushed everywhere she went. We didn't have any drinks, just the two entrees and the slice of cake and it came out to $70.Special Features:
- Give Hyatt credit for a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 3/29/2010Give Hyatt credit for a great marketing pitch - the website looks great and is very inviting. The restaurant, however, is a relatively basic hotel type restaurant. The food is very, very marginal. Margarita's and their corn bread recipe was good, but that was about it. Very disappointed that we spent one of our 4 dinners in San Antonio there.