Firefly - DC
1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.firefly-dc.com/
- Phone: 2028611310x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday: 9:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Wiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Contact Christina McCarty firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.521.7412 to book an event in one of our two private dining rooms today!
Firefly is also available for restaurant buyouts, accommodating up to 125 guests. Come experience Chef Todd Wiss's seasonal menus in one of our intimate private dining spaces. Whether you're planning a business lunch, rehearsal dinner or birthday party, Firefly is the perfect fit for all types of events.
- Special Events: We are now featuring $2 Mimosas and $2 Bloody Marys with brunch on saturdays from 9am-2pm. Don't forget that we still have Sunday Brunch featuring $2 Mimosas from 10am-2:30pm as well!
- Cross Street: N Street
- Public Transit: Metro: We are closest to the Dupont Circle Metro Stop, which is on the Red Line. Exit via the Q street exit. At street level, walk south on 20th Street for 4 blocks. Make a right. We are just past the orange awning on the right.
We are located on New Hampshire Ave. NW, two blocks south of Dupont Circle, between N and 20th St.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Firefly - DC
Firefly, the quintessential urban neighborhood restaurant, offers contemporary American comfort food to the city's many 'regulars' who dine out several times a week. Enjoy favorites like our matzoh ball soup, mini pot roast and a variety of 'Urban Picnics' to share...or not. We also have many seafood and some vegetarian options. The menu is designed to utilize products from our local farms and farmers. Hand-picked to compliment the cuisine, our award-winning wine list shows an affinity for small winemakers and producers and our seasonal specialty cocktail menu offers a bevy of unique libations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Firefly - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
246 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (116)fit for foodies (102)great for brunch (73)great for lunch (54)special occasion (48)romantic (37)good for groups (37)vibrant bar scene (34)hot spot (30)notable wine list (25)kid-friendly (23)late-night find (14)scenic view (11)great for outdoor dining (9)Show More
- The back rooom gets chilly;OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/23/2008The back rooom gets chilly; the front room can be noisy
- I love the fact that you arepog27VIPDined on 4/23/2008I love the fact that you are now carrying the wolffer rose. It's one of my favorite wines.Special Features:
- My girlfriends and I had aOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2008My girlfriends and I had a fabulous brunch at Firefly on Sunday. The food and cocktails were outstanding, as was the service. Can't wait to go back! Deanie GriffinSpecial Features:
- liked all the organic localOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2008liked all the organic local options was over-pricedSpecial Features:
- This restaurant did a phenomenalOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/18/2008This restaurant did a phenomenal job of accomodating my gluten free diet and without compromising flavor. Nicely done.Special Features:
- DC was having a muggy eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/18/2008DC was having a muggy evening and with the sliding panel windows open, the restaurant was HOT! However,when seated in the back candlelit-firefly cave it was very cold. They need to AIR BALANCE the restaurant. The fresh ingredients and attention to flavors really made this meal. The waiter in the back room was slow and unattentive. The hostess, who stood outside the door of the back room and looked in frequently did not lend the single waiter a hand. Ironic since the chef came in several times.Poor teamwork. One of the highlights was the soft shell crab entree. Although SSC was out of season- this was fresh, crispy and very light. Kudos to the chef. Firefly is still a cozy, neighborhood gem although service is hit and miss.Special Features:
- Delicious food, very friendlyKathyinMDVIPDined on 4/15/2008Delicious food, very friendly staff, great drinks.Special Features:
- Lively; very loud for comfortableSeniorTopDogDined on 4/14/2008Lively; very loud for comfortable conversation - avoid the back room - it's even louder! Unique interior design. Unusual, but well executed dishes.Special Features:
- We have eaten at Firefly beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/13/2008We have eaten at Firefly before and always have a great experience-the staff are friendly and helpful and the food is terrific.Special Features:
- Service was dreadful fromzzyyVIPDined on 4/13/2008Service was dreadful from start to finish. Our table was ignored, had unequal portions of food delivered, long waits in a half empty restaurant, questions "is everything okay?" posed but then the answers/requests ignored, etc. We will never go back and will warn others away from this amateurish operation.
- The food was a bit too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/12/2008The food was a bit too salty (to include the bread served at the start of the meal). The soup of the day was good, but a little too thin. The macaroni and cheese wasn't anything special and tasted similar to the same instant product out of a box. I was expecting something thicker and with more cheese and crust. The rest of the meal was very good and the meal wasn't rushed.Special Features:
- not sure why i dind't getakatenDined on 4/12/2008not sure why i dind't get my points for this reservation, please put in 100 points in my account.Special Features:
- Loved everything ..great food,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2008Loved everything ..great food, great service, and wonderful look!Special Features:
- fabulously flavorful, theOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/12/2008fabulously flavorful, the menu is thoughtfully conceived and the 5:30-6:30 dinner special is the best food/drink deal in DC. the food was worth 2-3 times what it ultimately cost.Special Features:
- Clearly they did not haveOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/12/2008Clearly they did not have enough wait service. We constantly had to nag our waiter to fill our coffee cups up (which are very small cups) as well as our waters. Food was pretty good but glad we were not in a rush, as it was a long breakfast.
- way too noisy! we could hardlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/10/2008way too noisy! we could hardly hear ourselves talk.......Special Features:
- Lunch menu seems to be gettingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/10/2008Lunch menu seems to be getting smaller over the years. Excellent food these days but rather sparse selection.Special Features:
- The food is very good, thetermieVIPDined on 4/9/2008The food is very good, the atmosphere is inviting and full of energy, and the vibe is very positive. I appreciate their emphasis on locally grown foods, and while portions are small, the quality is high. Service is excellent - my guest and I were sharing items, and the server brought all items out already split without our asking. The only drawbacks - it's gotten very popular, and you need reservations, and on a related note, it's very loud. Lots of people in a small space.Special Features:
- I love this restaurant BUTOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/8/2008I love this restaurant BUT the noise level was almost unbearable. There was a hug group on one side of the room. A group that should have been in a private room as they were too big and way too loud for the space. It will make me think twice before I bring people there again.
- 1st point - I love Firefly,DixieVIPDined on 4/8/20081st point - I love Firefly, but two issues: Dinner took longer than we had hoped,2hr-45m. They did have a large group so this is understandable. Issue #2 is that a 20% gratuity is automatically added for a group of 5. Since I was hosting clients, they were anxious to get going, I failed to see that this gratuity had been added and since there was an empty "tip line" on the check I added another 20% tip. So, I called on the way home when I realized I had erred & actually spoke to the server who and she was very nice & promised to remove the extra 20% & I thanked her. This can be easily avoided, as a server can discreetly mention that a gratuity is included upon presenting the check. Apparently this policy is noted on the menu. I missed it!Special Features:
- There are too many tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/6/2008There are too many tables squashed into a small space. I was seated at a bench, my husband opposite me in a chair. I had to pull the table completely against my abdomen so he could scoot in enough so that he wasn't hit every time someone walked behind him. Neither of us is overweight. The people next to us had the same problem and ended up changing table; they were both slim too. The next set of people were obviously experiencing a similar problem. The waitress never brought me my toast.Special Features:
- The salads all around wereOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/5/2008The salads all around were mediocre, but the main courses were excellent. My halibut was excellent.Special Features:
- Good food and really niceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2008Good food and really nice service. Yummy signature cocktails, especially the Opal. Entree portions are very small -- someone with a big appetite would definitely want to add a side. For example, the fish special came with 6 baby turnips and 3 asparagus spears. Fine for me (a small woman), but my husband would have needed a potato or rice dish to round it out. Our children liked the decor.Special Features:
- Was really great and the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/4/2008Was really great and the service was quite good, it was just so loud it was hard to be social it all.
- Incredibly loud, which hasjakeVIPDined on 4/4/2008Incredibly loud, which has a downside and, of course, an upside of being vibrant. On the whole, could barely hear the server. The server was over-the-top descriptive of the menu items -- a ludicrous description of not only the origin of every ingredient (funny in itself, but one becomes accustomed to that) but also every step of the cooking process. All the funnier since we could barely hear him. Enjoyable dinner overall, but good to laugh at afterwards.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and decor.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/4/2008Great atmosphere and decor. We all have different diets and found great food choices for each. One thing...I ordered their "special drink" that comes in a martini glass. The waiter put the glass down across the table from me. I went to slide the glass closer and it spilled, quite a bit. I would have expected the waiter to offer to refill as he was standing right there. These drinks are $12.00 each. He didn't offer so I was left with half a drink and a wet table that was not dried up.Special Features:
- Found the staff to be veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/3/2008Found the staff to be very attentive and personable. Food was excellent. Not a large place and noise levels somewhat high but not so bad that our table's conversation was severly impacted.Special Features:
- Firefly is one of the mostOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/2/2008Firefly is one of the most charming restaurants in D.C. Unfortunately, it's also one of the loudest I've been to. The ambiance, food, and excellent service definitely make up for the noise, though.Special Features:
- Firefly is a like a faithfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/2/2008Firefly is a like a faithful friend. You can always count on a good experience.Special Features:
- They provide EXTRAORDINARYBDTJrVIPDined on 4/2/2008They provide EXTRAORDINARY SERVICE. I left my AMEX card in the portfolio on the dining table. They called my cellphone and then when I drove back they brought the AMEX card out on the street to my car. WOW! I love FireFly! Regards, BruceSpecial Features:
- Our server gave us the wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/1/2008Our server gave us the wrong bill, which my friend and I didn't notice and paid. When I called later they said they had already caught it and were working to credit mine and my friend's charge card. It hasn't come through yet on my statement, but I appreciate their honesty. The food, BTW, was also good!Special Features:
- I love this restaurant. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/31/2008I love this restaurant. The food is great. Service is good. I wish the restaurant weren't so noisy. I sat in the back room this time and it was better. Some people dining in the main room left their table to come to the backroom because it is just too noisy. Can't you put some sound absorbing material on teh walls and ceilings? A nice humm in a restaurant is one thing, but it is overwhelmingly loud.Special Features:
- Recommended by a friend andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/31/2008Recommended by a friend and I'm glad I took the advice. The menu is not overrun with choices, but is varied enough even the pickiest eater should be able to find something. The pot roast was melt in your mouth delicious, and the mac & 3 cheese was great. A very nice overall experience.Special Features:
- Great food, outstanding, friendly,OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/30/2008Great food, outstanding, friendly, knowledgable service. Plus, my teenage kids felt comfortable and liked the food too. All good! Sorry I don't remember the server's name, but she had short blond hair. She was so great - she deserves kudos.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our dinner at Firefly.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/28/2008We enjoyed our dinner at Firefly. The only problem was that servers were rearranging tables right behind our table for about 10 minutes when we were first seated and they were pulling leaves out or something. It was very loud and distracting. It seemed like they weren't even concerned about trying to be quiet even though they were directly behind us. It sounded almost like gunshots. I expected the noise of the bar, but did not expect that.
- This was a great place toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2008This was a great place to have dinner when my mother came to town. The service was a little slow, but they gave us free desert to make up for it. Atmosphere is one of a kind.
- This is a whimiscal spot thatLaniaVIPDined on 3/23/2008This is a whimiscal spot that can accomodate most tastes. Most recently, we went for a late bruch and the staff began breaking down tables for dinner service. That seemed inconsiderate. Otherwise, I have had very good and interesting meals.Special Features:
- We chose to go to FireflyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/22/2008We chose to go to Firefly because it was listed on the Washington Post website as a romantic restaurant and we wanted to celebrate a special occasion. Not only was the restaurant full of families with young kids, but the noise level was close to intolerable. Although the food was good, I doubt we will go back.
- Our overall experience wasBuckheadGalVIPDined on 3/22/2008Our overall experience was good, but we weren't thrilled sitting in the small back room. It was a bit cramped and we felt as though our service lacked as well. We had to ask our server several times to refill our wine glasses with the bottle we purchasd. Other than that, the food was good, the wine was excellent and the ambiance was nice.Special Features:
- It was a wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2008It was a wonderful experience for our family. The service was top notch and the food was excellent. We would highly recommend the Firefly.Special Features: