Firefly - DC
1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.firefly-dc.com/
- Phone: 2028611310x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday: 9:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Wiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Contact Christina McCarty firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.521.7412 to book an event in one of our two private dining rooms today!
Firefly is also available for restaurant buyouts, accommodating up to 125 guests. Come experience Chef Todd Wiss's seasonal menus in one of our intimate private dining spaces. Whether you're planning a business lunch, rehearsal dinner or birthday party, Firefly is the perfect fit for all types of events.
- Special Events: We are now featuring $2 Mimosas and $2 Bloody Marys with brunch on saturdays from 9am-2pm. Don't forget that we still have Sunday Brunch featuring $2 Mimosas from 10am-2:30pm as well!
- Cross Street: N Street
- Public Transit: Metro: We are closest to the Dupont Circle Metro Stop, which is on the Red Line. Exit via the Q street exit. At street level, walk south on 20th Street for 4 blocks. Make a right. We are just past the orange awning on the right.
We are located on New Hampshire Ave. NW, two blocks south of Dupont Circle, between N and 20th St.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Firefly - DC
Firefly, the quintessential urban neighborhood restaurant, offers contemporary American comfort food to the city's many 'regulars' who dine out several times a week. Enjoy favorites like our matzoh ball soup, mini pot roast and a variety of 'Urban Picnics' to share...or not. We also have many seafood and some vegetarian options. The menu is designed to utilize products from our local farms and farmers. Hand-picked to compliment the cuisine, our award-winning wine list shows an affinity for small winemakers and producers and our seasonal specialty cocktail menu offers a bevy of unique libations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Firefly - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
250 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (117)fit for foodies (107)great for brunch (69)great for lunch (54)special occasion (51)good for groups (39)romantic (38)vibrant bar scene (36)hot spot (34)notable wine list (24)kid-friendly (21)late-night find (14)scenic view (10)great for outdoor dining (8)Show More
- Unbelievably good.EdwardDined on 6/22/2014Was in DC for the week with my family and I can honestly say this is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. I had the salmon dinner which was served with spinach and brown eyed peas and a cajun spicy sauce. It was one of the best meals I've had. The waitress was awesome, friendly, and very attractive to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Brunchluv2eatVIPDined on 6/22/2014We stopped for Sunday brunch with our friend from NYC. The food was good brunch food with ample selections to choose. The service was adequate and the location was convenient for us coming from St. Matthew's Cathedral.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect find!MAGSDined on 6/21/2014Great food, great service, great location! Desserts were fabulous which was the purpose of our late night dining. The staff was super friendly and very patient with our group of six. Would definitely recommend and I will go back when I want to dine in that area.Special Features:
- firefly near dupontgolfinazDined on 6/21/2014excellent tuna and smoked lamb. Gazpacho really wasn't; more a cucumber broth. Bland.Special Features:
- Good brunchPatrickVIPDined on 6/21/2014Definitely worth eating here, we went with a group for brunch and the service was outstandingSpecial Features:
- NekaJanuaryblondafDined on 6/20/2014Brunch is awesome but if you go for breakfast after only having the brunch it is incredibly disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014I dined at firefly in June and I've got to say the oysters to the chicken dinner was excellent, the service was on point, my server Joe was very detailed on what he recommend and on point but not over bearable. The places i have dined in the past always fall short on something but my experience at firefly will bring me back again! Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was busyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014and we found 2 seats at the bar to wait for our table, we got drinks and snacks. Great service, very engaging and knowledgeable bartender, couldn’t catch the name but I think it was Aaron. The food was well worth the wait. Make sure you reserve a table well in advance. Friendly and engaged wait staff.Special Features:
- Great service with good foodsamdcDined on 6/15/2014I have always had a great time at Firefly. We usually go there for brunch but this was the first time we went for dinner. The food was good although the quantities were small. The service was great as usual and as we went on a Sunday all the wine bottles were half off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So happy with my experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014I had dinner at Firefly Sunday night and was nothing but overjoyed with my experience. The first thing that I noticed was the ambiance, its gorgeous. I had the steak cooked rare with yukon gold potato gratin baby carrots and peas. My steak was cooked perfectly to the temperature that I asked, which was rare. My server was Connor and he was very friendly and knowledgable about the menu, he answered all my questions with ease. He also gave me an excellent recommendation for a wine to pair with my steak. The manager also came over and asked how everything was, she was very nice. Overall, the food was mouthwatering and the staff was nothing but friendly. Can't wait to go back and take my friends!Special Features:
- Brunch was OKOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014As a vegetarian I chose something a bit too exotic for brunch, when I should have just stuck with an omelet. I also wasn't pleased with my drink choice, which was prompted by a previous bad experience with mimosas somewhere else. My friend seemed fine with her food, and the couple of her potatoes I had were tasty. The noise level at 1:00 was almost beyond conversation across a small table; it got better by 3:00 when brunch was winding up. So my experience was not great, but that may have been due to less-than-optimal choices. I've been to Firefly in years before for dinner and thought it was fine.
- Great Father's Day BrunchLaurenVIPDined on 6/15/2014My parents were in town and we needed a nearby brunch for Father's Day. The meal started with a delcious bread basket with various breakfast breads (including banana!). Between the three of us, we got the challah french toast, breakfast tacos, and the Firefly omelette. Everyone liked their food. I got the breakfast tacos, which were tasty, but could have had some more spice or flavor with the chorizo. I also prefer corn tortillas for a more authentic flavor. In any event, our server was so sweet - he gave us all Father's Day mimosas on the house. He was very attentive and did a great job of making it a special meal for my out-of-town guests.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!Ssebs1Dined on 6/14/2014Nice job including our kid but outstanding food and cool placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, excellent service, LOUDPostalDataGuyDined on 6/13/2014We dined at Firefly early on a Friday evening. There were 4 in our party, 2 couples all in the latter half of our 50s. My observations- Service was very good without being intrusive. Drinks and courses came out promptly, water glasses were kept filled, no issues at all there. Food ranged from good to outstanding. I had the smoked lamb shoulder, some of the best lamb I've ever eaten. Tender and delicious with a bit of heat to go with the smoky flavor. My wife had the yellowfin tuna and said it was excellent, and my friend said his burger was excellent also. Fried mac n cheese app was good, not super. Desserts the same. Tasty but not wow. My only real complaint was the noise level. Conversation became impossible without shouting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Fireflytparr42Dined on 6/12/2014The service was outstanding - from the General Manager to the server to those supporting the server. The wine list - all U.S - had excellent substitutes for the French and New Zealand wines I usually order. The bistro steak was absolutely great - and the sides were excellent. While the bar and the area around it were noisy - lots of people having a good time - the room in the back was quiet enough for a confidential conversation. Will definitely go back and recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, great serviceSamRDined on 6/12/2014We go to Firefly often for work lunches and I also go for brunches. Portions of the menu change regularly and everything is very good. Particularly recommend any of the soups, the risottos, fish tacos, and grilled cheese (seriously, amazing grilled cheese).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the coziness of FireflyNetteworkingDined on 6/12/2014I love Firefly!! The prices are reasonable the portions are just right. I especially love their soft fish tacos and sweet potato fries. I hope they never remove them from their menu. I have been going to Firefly for a long time and they never fail to impress. The ambiance is nice and welcoming. It has a somewhat rustic feel with the tree decor but yet it is warm and inviting. The perfect place for lunch or a celebratory occasion. I would highly recommend Firefly to anyone. One final comment the waiter/waitress staff is amazing.Special Features:
- Wonderful Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014The food was excellent - neat dessert menu. My cocktails were also great. The service was excellent. We ended up eating at firefly many times on our trip. Several of the staff stood out as being real gems that we loved talking with. Would recommend this place to friends and would totally return next time we are in DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior Service!elaminkDined on 6/10/2014I had a quiet early lunch away from the office. The service was excellent and my waitress was very attentive without being overly so. The food is always great! I love the pre-meal bread and the truffle fries are out of this world!This will definitely be my new lunch spot.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedWineGeekDined on 6/9/2014Met up with some out-of-town relatives here for dinner. Neat wine list; good salads and deviled eggs; great fish. he only issue was the noise: it gets loud in there when the place is full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Firefly is seriously one ofOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014the most amazing restaurants. I live in New York, and trust me we have great restaurants here, but if you are ever in DC, you must check it out. They have extensive wine and cocktail list as well. My husband and I celebrate our anniversary there every year. The Pot Roast is beyond amazing. The Mac & Cheese Fritters were heavenly! I capped off our meal with Ice cream Sandwich. Yes it is even better than it sounds. Super friendly and professional waiters. There are few places that give you the level of service as Firefly. Yum Yum Yum!!!!"Special Features:
- great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2014Everytime I visit the dc area I make sure this is a place that I don't forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely with one handicap hiccupapf2011Dined on 6/7/2014I went to Firefly for brunch with friends and it was so so lovely! I liked my food and the space was decorated beautifully. The staff was entirely helpful, too. The only problem was that I was told this restaurant was handicap accessible, and technically it is, but the way you enter is through the hotel service elevator. The elevator was tiny and a little scary. I would be wary about coming to Firefly if you're in a wheelchair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice week-day treatSecondActDined on 6/5/2014If you plan to eat an early (6:30) dinner at Firefly on a week-day, be prepared for a full bar adjacent to the restaurant. Although the restaurant itself was quiet, the noise spill-over from the happy hour is considerable. We had fish =the tuna special of the day and the salmon, and both were well prepared and filling. For dessert we shared the goat cheese frittes -- quite sufficient for the two of us. The service, while attentive, was a bit slapdash (failure to wipe the table after the first course, sloppily poured water, rush to clear the plates, etc.). Overall, I'd recommend it for the food.Special Features:
- The following 2277 reviews are from the Firefly - DC reviews archive.
- fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/31/2014Everything was amazing. We will definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- Cute Place, Tasty FoodmmmmfooodDined on 5/27/2014Great food, tasty drinks, good wine list. The restaurant was a bit noisy when we first sat down, but after a few glasses of wine, we barely noticed. The food was delicious - pot roast and lamb shoulder were amazing - and our server brought a complimentary dessert for a birthday at our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lot To Like About It…But…beejpowersDined on 5/23/2014It's a little loud. The ambiance is cute in a summer dusk at the edge of the forest kind of way. Is that a thing? Yes it is, they nailed it. The menu doesn't have anything you haven't heard of on it but they have their own way of doing it. And they succeed every time. The bar is slow. Maybe just because the drinks are so ornate and complicated (eyedroppers are used in the production of some) but plan ahead if you want to have more than 3 over a 2 hour dinner. That's all we could fit in for timing and the bar wasn't swamped. But the servers and hosts are all nice and considerate and keep you apprised of your table wait when there is one. Overall, I will go back but won't go out of my way to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- farm to table fabulousChristineDined on 5/23/2014As a visitor to DC, I was looking for a local farm to table restaurant that was off the beaten path. Firefly definitely met those qualifications. They easily accommodated gluten free needs and had a separate gluten free dessert menu. Ambiance was fun and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Villager813Dined on 5/23/2014Met a friend for lunch on a workday. The menu has some nice comfort food items on it. But my chicken Cobb salad was just ok. My friend had the asparagus omelette which he said was great. Get a table in the smaller room on the right side of bar if you want less noise. We sat next to the windows thrown open to a beautiful May day and had a very lovely lunch!Special Features:
- Nice place in DupontjttttttttVIPDined on 5/21/2014Enjoyed dinner here on a Wednesday night, but it was really loud and difficult to hear over the noise.Special Features:
- Flavorful and funKathysVIPDined on 5/21/2014Had a very nice dinner at Firefly. I was on my own and wanted something light. The kale salad and grits side were perfect - each one delicious and distinctive. The noise level was quite high and conversation might have been difficult. I came back later for lunch with a group in a different room and the noise was quite manageable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always gooddupontdinerDined on 5/21/2014The menu changes frequently, so you're never quite sure what the options will be. Was happy to see the fish tacos still on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Firefly is funPamJamDined on 5/20/2014I am never disappointed, the food is wonderful. There is nothing as good as their special ginger drink when you can't "drink" at lunch.Special Features:
- Great Twist on FoodGr8Food4MeDined on 5/19/2014Great twist on food. Had lunch on one day and had to return the next day for dinner. Really!! Really! enjoyed the variety of foods on the menu. A must place to try in DC. Will come back for sure on my next visit.Special Features:
- Connor was a great hostronbDined on 5/17/2014Loved the dessert, the appetizers and of course the cocktails.Special Features:
- Unimpressed by the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014My group was there for brunch and we all ordered something different - pancakes, omelet, a kale and polenta dish, and breakfast tacos. We had two kids with us and they ordered burgers. Well... the adult food was tiny! I've never been served 4 tiny pancakes, about 3.5" in diameter for $16! The omelet looked like two eggs, not your usual three and the kale and polenta dish was just weird. We also ordered a side of home fries, which we bland, and sausage which was good. The tacos were the perfect amount and the only dish worth the money but it wasn't that unique. I was only impressed with the kids meals which was a hefty 1/3 lb patty with a huge side of fries. The ambiance was cool but that's as far as it goes.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Firefly was a nice place to eat breakfast, but I think they needed another food server to wait on everyone, as the restaurant filled up for breakfats.Special Features:
- Great foodFoodfoodDined on 5/14/2014The food here was really good. The salad entrée portion wasn't very filling though and they didn't cook my steak to the temperature I requested. The staff was very friendly and our waiter gave all of us the granola to try. The seating was a little tight and it can get somewhat nosey at times. But I would defiently go back and try other foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Time Not So GreatColonelCollaborationDined on 5/13/2014Spent New Years Eve at th Firefly, it was fantastic. Ths past Tuesday no so geat. Outside was closed and it was just too loud inside the restaurant. It was so bad we could nt hear each other talk. Food was still fantastic and so was the service.
- Firefly is fineAsherDined on 5/11/2014The restaurant is very cute, but beyond that everything was very bland. The prices are fairly expensive, so I was disappointed the food was not more flavorful. My salmon was raw in the iddle so I sent it back for further cooking. When it arrived cooked to my liking it was a nice piece of salmon, but very bland. My $12 salad was also quite vanilla, with some greens, a handful of beans and a few tiny onions. Our appatizers arrived before our drinks and we found ourselves flagging down the server for requests. Firefly is a cute spot, but the most remarkable thing about it is the high prices.Special Features: