Ash American Fare
3520 Erie Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45208Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Ash American Fare
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ashamericanfare.com/
- Phone: 5138718714x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday and Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00, Bar open late!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lisa Nutt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: yes
- Special Events: We can accommodate up to 100 guests for private dining, holiday parties and corporate events.
A word from Ash American Fare
Ash American Fare offers unique gourmet burgers and chops and a bar filled with craft draft beer, wines from around the world and all kinds of spirits and cocktails.Continued
The vibe is cool. The menu is approachable and takes American food to an elevated level.
The vibe is cool. The menu is approachable and takes American food to an elevated level.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ash American Fare reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)great for outdoor dining (14)fit for foodies (13)notable wine list (8)romantic (6)good for groups (5)special occasion (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- While the food was highlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2011While the food was highly creative and oustanding in both presentation and taste, the noise level in the restaurant made it difficult to have an intimate conversation. Unfortunately we were there on a night when there was a large table of young ladies who celebrating drunkenly and loudly which drove up the overall noise level as other tables had to increase their own volume to simply be heard across their own tables. Our neighboring table also commented on the noise level. If you are there just to enjoy good and creative food and are not concerned with noisy ambience, you will be pleased with Cumin's offerings. The menu is not extensive, but each dish looked interesting.Special Features:
- WonderfulReview22Dined on 8/27/2011Cumin offers a delicious mix of flavors from around the world, along with a hip and modern atmosphere. I would recommend Cumin to anyone.Special Features:
- Clever menu, some molecularPlotdoctorVIPDined on 8/27/2011Clever menu, some molecular gastronomy going on with the chef. The smoking sashimi is quite good, but the vegetable ash could easily be left off. Bass is great. If you get the rack of lamb, double check that the server got the order right regarding how done. Medium well came out as very rare. Try the deconstructed carrot cake. Awesome.Special Features:
- Alex, the Host was superb,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2011Alex, the Host was superb, the entire staff was wonderful. The ambience is continental, small and congenial. The food was gourmet at its best ith interesting selections. The one negative, and it was a big negative was the noise level. One of our guests wore a hearing aid...impossible to hear. The walls, ceiling and furnishings are all slick and heard so there is noise absorption. Some ceiling tiles, carpeting or wall hangings might make a big improvement. Other than the noise level, this is an excellent restaurant...go on an evening when there will not be others talking in loud tones.Special Features:
- Go there tonight!FoodieVIPDined on 8/25/2011Great food and fantastic service that makes you feel part of the family! Alex and his team go the extra mile to create a wonderful, memorable evening!Special Features:
- Brand new menu. Very tasty!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2011Brand new menu. Very tasty! Mussells were excellent.Special Features:
- Just a great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2011Just a great experience. Food was creative and wonderful, truly world-fusion. The staff had an extensive knowledge of the dishes and how they were prepared, and Alex provided the special touch. I have many out-of-town visitors and would not hesitate to take anyone there.Special Features:
- Cumin NEVER disappoints. AlexOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/6/2011Cumin NEVER disappoints. Alex has truly found a niche in Cincinnati. There is nothing else like it.Special Features:
- My dish was great, the sucklingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2011My dish was great, the suckling pig. We also ordered their version of chicken tikka masala and it wasn't the best. The mussels were good and they had a seasonal salad that was fantastic. The kitchen was kind of slow and we were waiting a decent amount of time in between courses.Special Features:
- The server Andrew was extremelyjeffDined on 8/4/2011The server Andrew was extremely knowledgable about the food as well as the wine list. The Lamb and the Fois Gras were perfect. Will definitely be returning soon.Special Features:
- The food is consistently delicious.RitaDined on 7/30/2011The food is consistently delicious. One of the very best restaurants in the city. Try the mussels, they are yummy!Special Features:
- Food was great. Fried artichokeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/22/2011Food was great. Fried artichoke hearts were amazing for first course. We also had green bean salad which was overall pretty good. The lamb was cooked perfect, medium rare, with a crispy outside crust. The wine list is very nice as it offers wine from all regions and prices to fit your taste. The owner was super friendly and down to earth. Great experience will definetly be back.Special Features:
- Great food, great atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/16/2011Great food, great atmosphere, great staff. One of my favorite restaurants in Cincinnati!Special Features:
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/2/2011We were visiting from Boston and were looking forward dinner at Cumin having heard that it is one of Cincy's top restaurants. The service level was extremely disappointing -the entire dinner service took 2.5 hours for 2 courses. We were seated at 8.15 and didn't get our entrees till 10pm!! When I asked the manager/owner if he could check on the delay on the entrees, his response was "But didn't you have appetizers?" I was appalled. Not only was there no apology, he made it seem like waiting for over an hour between courses was acceptable and what was the fuss. The food was just ok… the Cumin Salad was good but entrees were average. Overall experience for this party of 8 - Dissapointing!
- Food is unusual and has aWineMe1Dined on 7/2/2011Food is unusual and has a variety of taste treats! If you want something different you must try Cumin. Portions of entrees are generous. Wine list is excellent, and includes wines from average prices to very pricey. Ambiance is attractive, interesting, a little noisy. Wait staff are very knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:
- Fairly solid dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/2/2011Fairly solid dining experience. I had sous vide salmon as an entree, and it was excellent a well composed and prepared dish. My salad was a little over dressed, but it was very tasty. The service was a little lacking given how good the food was. Our waiter was very good, but the whole front of house coordination was not there. Interesting eclectic crowd for an early Saturday dinner. We will definitely be back despite quirks.Special Features:
- Very disappointed, servingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/25/2011Very disappointed, serving burger as the main course of a six plate fixed price menu showed sloppiness and a playing to the lowest common denominator.
- The upscale style ,attentionOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/18/2011The upscale style ,attention to detail, friendliness ,excellent food and service is consistent and encourages our family to return again and again. Dining in your restaurant is a true pleasure.Special Features:
- Try it, you'll love itFilmoreDined on 6/8/2011Once again an outstanding dinner. This is really some of the best food in Cincinnati. Service is always top notch. The menu changes seasonally and features fresh ingredients much of it local. While the dishes can look odd, the execution is wonderful. Try anything and you will love it, even the grapefruit shortcake was amazing. It is pricey with drinks but worth it. Got a little noisy when the music started.Special Features:
- It was a rough night at CuminTrevorVIPDined on 5/28/2011It was a rough night at Cumin but it's hard to judge a great spot on a Saturday. I look forward to going back during the week.Special Features:
- Everything about Cumin ishtminkVIPDined on 5/27/2011Everything about Cumin is wonderful....except for the level of noise in the dining room. I wish they could dampen the sound in some way because other than that, they have one of the best menus in town. Fun atmosphere, but truly TOO loud. Had to strain to hear the waitress at times. Food and service were excellent.Special Features:
- Loved It!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/27/2011I loved Cumin! The appetizer and salad were the best I have had for as long as I can remember. I was really that good! The main course was also very good but I was hooked after the 2nd course.Special Features:
- We had lost track of the majorOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/27/2011We had lost track of the major change in menu at Cumin. The food today is simply fantastic.Special Features:
- Superb food; noisy surroundings,Food4thoughtDined on 5/21/2011Superb food; noisy surroundings, but acceptable if not seeking an intimate dining experience.Special Features:
- Good Food, INCREDIBLY Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/21/2011Cumin would get a much higher rating from us, if the service there wasn't the SLOWEST WE HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. It took 3 hours for 8 of us to eat dinner—and we only ate two courses. We didn't get our appetizers until after we had been there for an hour, and cocktails took 20 minutes to come to the table. The four-top next to us also complained about how slow everything was moving. We've been to much nicer places where we have 8 courses, and we still get done in under 3 hours. The food itself was very good, but it was undermined by the fact that we had to wait 2 hours to get it. I don't know if it was the kitchen or the servers themselves, but something is not clicking at this restaurant and keeping the food coming out.Special Features:
- We had a great start, a niceEnjoyFineFoodDined on 5/19/2011We had a great start, a nice Savignon Blanc and the fried artichoke appetizer with aioli and ricotta dips. We learned a not so great lesson when the Nicoise salads arrived. "Poached" tuna, clarified by our waitress as "poached in olive oil," means "out of a can." We've had chunk tuna before on salad Nicoise, but had set our sights higher at Cumin. With a piece of seared tuna, the salad would be great. Unfortunately, not on the menu.
- The owner (Alex) was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2011The owner (Alex) was very gracious and welcomed us as if we were his friends. We took the waitresses recommendations and everything was great. HIGHLY recommend this place! Excellent staff, great food and great vibe. One of my top restaurants this past year - and I travel the world for business so that is a high benchmark. Keep up the great work.Special Features:
- Very nice food with some uniquemedboyILVIPDined on 5/11/2011Very nice food with some unique and flavorful elements; good variety of options on the menu; service was pleasant. The lamb was particularly delicious! The "tasting menu" is somewhat deceptive, in that it leads the diner to think s/he is allowed to pick one appetizer, one salad, and one entree all for one price. It should be more clearly stated on the menu that the chef will be picking all food.Special Features:
- The food was horrible. IOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/7/2011The food was horrible. I liked the old menu much better. I came for the old menu and was surprised at how it changed. I was very unhappy. I do love the ambiance, so I would much rather just have a drink at the bar and no food.Special Features:
- I was so impressed with CuminNelleVIPDined on 5/7/2011I was so impressed with Cumin on my first visit. Creative and excellent preparation of food along with attentive and informed service. Highly recommend the 3 course tasting mealSpecial Features:
- Great food and a cool ambiance.ChrissyVIPDined on 5/6/2011Great food and a cool ambiance. DEFINITELY try the Cumin Salad. The only negative is that it gets very loud!Special Features:
- Great food, impeccable service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2011Great food, impeccable service. A true delight every time. Can't go wrong with the mussels or the ribeye.Special Features:
- Our guest dining with us didOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/2/2011Our guest dining with us did note note to our waiter that she was vegetarian. She order squash rissotto not knowing pancetta is meat. I was so impressed with how Cumin handled the situation that our guest identified that she caused. They were very gracious and quickly got her a vegetarian version and re-assured her in a manner that kept her from feeling awkward or embarrased. I plan to return to CUmin just for this - though it doesn't hurt that the food was wonderful as well.Special Features:
- Menu includes an interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/2/2011Menu includes an interesting variety of ingredients not commonly seen in most restaurants, but the quality of preparation was lacking. Several dishes we ordered had too much oil or were over cooked.Special Features:
- If you can stomach the ideaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2011If you can stomach the idea of doing so you must try the bone marrow appetizer. OUTSTANDING! The rest of the meal however was just so-so. This was our second time there (because I didnt want to write them off without giving them a second chance) and with the exception of the appetizer the food just isnt what it should be.
- Very uneven experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/19/2011Overall a very uneven experience. The meal started out with dynamite cocktails but then hit the first bump with overcooked octopus, recovered with a dynamite mussels dish and then spiraled down again with overcooked rabbit, bad preparation of lamb shank and over-spiced beef cheeks (although when not getting too much pepper in the dish, the beef cheeks were quite good). Perhaps we hit Cumin on an off night, but it will take a long time before we think about heading there again - which is too bad because we have heard so many good things about the restaurant.
- Just OKgoodeaterDined on 3/19/2011The service and ambiance were excellent, but the food was not in keeping what what is supposedly one of the top 10 Cincinnati restaurants. Every menu item should simply be outstanding, and at least good... unfortunately almost all of our meals were okay at best. I'd like to say that I'll try something else, but after half the menu-items were disappointing I think I'll have better luck with a several hundred dollar meal elsewhere. Maybe the Spring menu will be better.
- This is a great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/18/2011This is a great restaurant! The atmosphere was lively and hip, but notably the hospitality is intact (unlike most other hipster places around Cincinnati). As soon as I walked in, I was made to feel as a true guest. The fare is modern yet recognizable, with unexpected but harmonious and pleasing combinations of flavors,textures, and colors. If I would change anything, it might be adding some things to absorb sound as the restaurant was neither boisterous nor full, but the noise level was significant. I observed that there are no window panels or much upholstery, and I think this could be an improvement. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner and look forward to the next occasion when I can return.Special Features:
- Solid food. Very EclecticOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/16/2011Solid food. Very Eclectic as the name suggests. Will go again.
- Don't go to CuminOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/12/2011The food and waitress were great, but the owner stalked our table like prey. He told us to hurry up and order b/c he had another large group coming in, he stared at us the whole time which made us feel uncomfortable, he told us how to eat our food (not in the recommendation sort of way). He then rudely asked one of the guys to remove their foot from the booth, in a snarky "Not teasing" way. We had 14 people in our party, dinner club, and not one of us will return or recommend Cumin.