10 Bosworth Street
Boston, MA 02108Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marliave.com/
- Phone: 6174220004x
- Hours of Operation:
Menu Sunday-Saturday:11:00am - 10:00pm. Cocktails Sunday-Saturday 11:00am- 1:00am. Dollar Oysters Sunday-Saturday: 4:00pm- 6:00pm and again 9:00pm- 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Scott Herritt chef/owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wine
- Special Events: Marliave offers an extensive menu of smaller portioned hors d’oeuvres designed to supply a lighter fare in an informal cocktail setting. The upstairs bar is an attractive setting for parties up to fifty persons. The entire upstairs is available for larger gatherings over one hundred guest.
A word from Marliave
The Marliave, Boston's fourth oldest restaurant, has a tireless commitment to house prepared cuisine. Our orange, lemon, lime, and grapefruit juices are fresh squeezed daily. All breads, desserts, sauces, pastas, ice cream, and stocks are made daily in house and are prepared to order. The Marliave utilizes local fresh vegetables, fruits, natural raised animals, and the finest imported ingredients to create our food and drink menus.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Marliave reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)neighborhood gem (82)romantic (71)special occasion (69)great for outdoor dining (62)good for groups (46)great for lunch (32)notable wine list (23)scenic view (20)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (13)hot spot (10)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Marliave is goodSilkeVIPDined on 7/15/2014Busy night, delicious scampi with pasta... rather rushed and intrusive service (plopping down the check with the dessert, "Whenever you're ready"), noisy (no sound absorption in wood floor, brick walls). Marliave was quiet and 'slow' for a long time after it opened, second of Scott Herritt's restaurants... after the subterranean Grotto, now seems to have been discovered. As @ Grotto, food is the best part... ambiance of Marliave is better than Grotto... maybe he should close the little basement Grotto and concentrate on one great restaurant??? But Grotto is still busy every night... so maybe not! I like them both pretty well (though Grotto menu hasn't changed in ten years)... wish one or other were truly great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved everything!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014From the view upstairs to the delicious rabbit entree and insalata di mar appetizer....everything was amazing, and I would highly recommend this to anyone looking to dress up for dinner and get treated to a special night. The server was prompt and attentive...and also hung back enough so we could enjoy our second glass of wine and chat. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Atmosphere and excellent fooddesertroseDined on 7/14/2014Over several lunch visits and a special occasion dinner the food was consistently excellent and the servers attentive each time. Servings are ample portions with incredible flavor and seasonings. The meat and chicken are tender. Lunch time fries served crispy and taste like real potatoes. Sauces are tasty but not too heavy especially the sauce for the scallops.Special Features:
- Good eatingjimboDined on 7/12/2014Marliave is a great place for lunch, dinner or a drink. A real taste of Boston dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pudding to die forTDC6Dined on 7/10/2014Made a last minute reservation here with son and wife. Service was excellent. We sat upstairs. It was a bit noisy with a group near us. Outdoor dining area looked nice. One of only few we saw. Wine was ok and entrees good. Sons burger great as well as the rarebits appetizer. The best was the tapioca pudding. By far the greatest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBernergalDined on 7/5/2014First time and we will return The French onion soup with short rib base was fabulous service was outstanding The Beef Wellington was cooked to perfection and the cheese selection was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- emeraldlynxDined on 7/5/2014Very, Very good food!! The wellington I had was prepared perfectly and the flavors outstanding - the polenta was out of this world!!Special Features:
- Always deliciousTwofoodysDined on 7/3/2014We have eaten there 3 times and the food and service were great each time. It is in a very old section of Boston so don't be put off by the old building. Once inside it is modern and very clean and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good.SteakNPotatoesDined on 6/28/2014Delicious seafood salad and steak frites. Drinks were not as good as we had hoped, but still not bad.Special Features:
- Pretty goodfigmentDined on 6/28/2014You really can't beat their half price oysters everyday, including the weekend. They offer four options, all of which are fresh and delicious. The truffle fries are also very good, but I wish they had a half order option, because it is too large for even two people to share.Special Features:
- Delicious food and drinksKellyDined on 6/27/2014Get here during their happy hour special (1/2 off oysters) - great drinks to go with dozen or so oysters :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing and overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/21/2014After being let down by our first dining experience in Boston, I looked to Boston Magazine for a recommendation, and this was listed in 2013. I was sorely disappointed with the food. The service was fine, but the food was over priced and under seasoned. I started with the beet salad, which looked very pretty, but tasted very bland. The trout had no seasoning to it, was breaded and dried out, and came with no sauce to accompany it. My buddies had the burger, which for $18 was disappointing, and the steak frites, which was acceptable, but nothing special. Not recommended at all.
- Old-world charmelmellDined on 6/21/2014I’d have thought this charming place tucked away downtown would be packed on a Saturday evening, but fortunately for us it had a more relaxed vibe of couples and friends enjoying oysters on the terrace (trad-brasserie-style interior looked inviting, but it was too nice out for that). We couldn’t decide between rabbit and Wellington, so we split both (they brought out the latter to present it, then took it back to split it for us). Either would have been plenty for both of us; both were beautifully prepared – and rich. Massive mac & cheese starter and sybaritic chocolate cake completed our total overindulgence. Very friendly, professional, yet low-key service (as nearly everywhere in our time in Boston) added to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor servicejfueyDined on 6/20/2014Received the wrong food, charged twice for a side and received the wrong bill at the end of the nightSpecial Features:
- Business lunch for out-of-townermaryroseDined on 6/17/2014I was coming in from New York for a business lunch with my client. This restaurant was around the corner from her office and, therefore, very convenient. The ambience was unpretentious but very nice and befitting a client lunch; the menu was varied enough and interesting and the food was good. Wait staff very prompt and courteous. The price was also very reasonable. I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School with new twistsannabeleeVIPDined on 6/15/2014I can't believe I have lived in Boston since 89 and just started to go to the Marliave regularly. Amazingly fresh and well-prepared seafood. Great truffled mac n cheese. very nice and affordable wine list. I mean, how many wine lists serve by the glass, the 1/2 bottle, and the bottle. No upcharge, either. Great service. Amazing old history. Definitely great for townies and visitors.Special Features:
- CmmmDined on 6/7/2014Our waitress was amazing. The food and cocktails were delicious. A little weird sitting outside in an alley, but they did a great job with the patio. We were very comfortable. Overall an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Downtown French RestaurantDiningoutisspecialDined on 6/7/2014A great find in the heart of the city, tucked between Tremont and Province, great cocktails too.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodkaykayDined on 6/5/2014Every meal is done excellently. The broccoli rabe is the best I've ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Marliave!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2014Would definitely come back for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Great food, good service butklbcruisingDined on 5/31/2014A group of 6 of us traveled to Boston for a celebration. After lots of research we chose Marliave for our celebratory dinner. Well we arrived at the restaurant on-time to be told we were going to have to eat in the lounge not in the dining room upstairs. The table was just inside the front door right beside the hostess station - not an ideal location and was not set up for 6. It was a booth for 4 or 5 and they got 2 chairs to add to make it for 6. The evening didn't start out well. However the food was delicious. 2 of us shared the beef carpaccio and tuna tartare while the other 4 shared the mussels and macaroni and cheese and we all shared the truffle fries. Fries are to die for. My beet salad was okay, too much cheese for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better BeforeOTwistDined on 5/27/2014Disappointed this time: friend's polenta had to be redone and arrived after he had finished his meal. Shown to table by indifferent guide.
- The following 1088 reviews are from the Marliave reviews archive.
- Gem of Consistency & DeliciousnessLINYLUVS2DINEDined on 5/25/2014My partner and I found Marliave about 3 years ago. down a small alley way the restaurant opens itself up into beautiful black and white decor. Traditional French cuisine, not too heavy with an updated touch. Food is consistently on target as is presentation and service. Drink menu filled with unique elixirs that tempt the tastebuds and mind. Presentation of food is grand with not just a setting of the plate on the table but the unique touch of a silver cover unlifted simultaneously on both you and your partners dish. Sunday Gravy is suggested for a heavier home cooked comfort meal as is the osso bucco. Chicken under a brick an all time favorite. Many accolades to a fine restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightFlorioDined on 5/17/2014Came from out of town for a graduation dinner. Had oysters, mussels, truffle Mac and cheese, sliders and an assortment of main dishes and drinks. All were excellent. Rabbit was superb. Server was amazing. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not this time....LDRBVIPDined on 5/11/2014I go to the Marliave a lot and LOVE everything about it. Typically we sit at the bar to eat and the bartenders are great! This time we chose a table and the service was terrible. The waitress never brought the oysters we ordered first, kept forgetting just about everything, but kept asking how everything was. Should of said- could be better.... But food is excellent and will still go back- but stay at the bar...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our eveningBostonnewbieDined on 5/9/2014Cute and charming great bar a bit noisy but we liked the food enough to go back. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/9/2014Everything was perfect - location right near the theater district, ambiance, buzz, reservations without a second of waiting despite the fact that they were full, and the food! The menu is different and good. The ambiance is classic and yet also open feeling with lots of windows. Service was a slower than what we wanted since they were very full but since we stayed on top of the waiter with prodding it worked out fine to get to our show.Special Features:
- Almost, but not quiteWorkLuncherDined on 5/5/2014I want to like the Marliave more than I do. It's convenient, quiet, and the menu is good. But it always smells like disinfectant (particularly on the lower floors) and this is the the second time my lunch has been so salty it was almost inedible. The flavors are good, but the chef has a heavy hand on the salt.
- Food ok but noisy restaurantLpm48Dined on 5/3/2014Appreciated this was an old establishment but feel more could have been done to make the setting more comfortable eg lower then noise levels. Food was ok though and maybe the noise just annoyed us as we were in the older age range of customersSpecial Features:
- Lovely serviceRomanticDined on 4/26/2014Great food, I love oysters, the tablecloths and the service make it a special night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun cocktails, good food!YumEDined on 4/26/2014Very nice dining experience. Food was excellent, in a very nice setting. Service was rather brusque very early on a Saturday evening. The scallop and pasta entree was excellent, as was the prosciutto wrapped rabbit. The steak frites was flavorful, though the meat was less than tender. The frites were the best ever! The stuffed trout was delicious, but it's presentation with the skin on top was less than perfect. 1/2 price raw bar- fantastic! Not inexpensive, but worth it!Special Features:
- French FunPaulDined on 4/24/2014Tasty and well prepared, with impeccable service and ambience. Those with a strong aversion to salty food might find the flavors somewhat strong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet LunchOTwistDined on 4/23/2014Great cocktail and sandwich; amazingly quiet at 12:30!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasantly surprisedMarkVIPDined on 4/22/2014liked the reviews and menu online...took a shot...great shot!....character, character....old and lovely...food was awesome...go here...good value in our view...great drinks (but the pours could be larger...really)... otherwise, we will be BACKSpecial Features:
- Disappointing, but great dessertsLibgDined on 4/20/2014We chose this restaurant based on a Trip Advisor review. The service was quite rude. The waitress never offered to bring us drinks, and then seem surprised we would want to order anything other than the cheese tray. She barely spoke a word through the whole experience. The food was okay, and the prices were high for the quality of the food. Desserts were the bright spot in the meal. The butterscotch pudding was excellent, and the chocolate cake and homemade ice cream was delicious.
- really great place!rltannerDined on 4/18/2014What a lovely meal we had prior to going to see the Book of Mormon...It was a place I had seen walking by years ago when I worked at the Parker House. I always wanted to try it . The service was wonderful. We got an awesome table upstairs by the window. Our food was incredible - like being in Paris. The only tiny thing I could fault was the size of the drinks - they were extremely interesting, but rather small for the price and not filled nearly to the top.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2014The service was excellent, we had not beeb here in many years and were very pleased with the cocktails, food and service. We will go back again and have told others as well. Thank you for an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jksmith4VIPDined on 4/16/2014I love the wine list! You can buy a glass in 150ml, 250ml, or 375ml quantities, or the entire 750ml bottle.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedFoodieVIPDined on 4/15/2014I had an after work dinner with a friend this week after having walked by Marliave for years. We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The service was very attentive and professional. My only suggestion would be to rennovate the entrance. It is rundown and reflelcts poorly on an otherwise great dining experience.Special Features:
- Great timedeenieDined on 4/12/2014We had a wonderful time. It was girls night out and the ambiance, food, location were perfect for us. We were off to see a comedy show after which was in walking distance of the restaurant. Great all around eveningSpecial Features: