420 Emerson Street
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.evvia.net/
- Phone: 6503260983
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accommodate large parties. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Panos Gogonas 6503260983
A word from Evvia
Sister restaurant of Kokkari, Evvia has been serving beautiful and elegant Greek cuisine since 1995. Fabulous fish, savory roasted meats, and sun-soaked vegetables are jazzed up with a spritz of lemon, a little olive oil, and herbs. There is perfection in simplicity.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Evvia - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Evvia reviews from OpenTable diners
278 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (192)special occasion (169)neighborhood gem (115)romantic (93)notable wine list (87)hot spot (83)great for lunch (77)good for groups (73)late-night find (18)vibrant bar scene (11)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- yurikaneDined on 7/27/2014It's a great restaurant. I have been to Kokkari SF as well. This is as good as Kokkari.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We have dined here often and it is always a treat. The staff are accommodating and the food is consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2014The octopus appetizer was quite pricey for the quantity and the quality (kind of mushy around the edges). But the Branzino was delicious! The moussaka was also very good. Our waiter was quite nice and informative, but the service was VERY slow. Even though we told him that we had a play to attend and what time we needed to leave, there was no time for dessert. And it was very hard to hear our dinner companions over the ambient noise.Special Features:
- Too expensive, not good VFMEntrepreneurEmeritusDined on 7/22/2014The lamb souvlaki at $27 and 'special' tomato salad at $12 weren't good value. I guess the location in Palo Alto is equivalent to Fifth Avenue @ Central Park South, but one has more choices in Palo Alto.
- Great Greek Food!Hoopster95VIPDined on 7/21/2014The food was very delicious--Greek but with a modern touch! Great location in the heart of downtown Palo Alto next to the Aquarius Theater on Emerson between University and Lytton. Hostess was friendly but service was slow in taking order and then later waiter finally asked if we had received second appetizer which we had been waiting for. For an experienced waiter he seemed to be having an off night. We sat next to the large open sliding french doors which offered a nice indoor/outdoor feel. For a Monday night after 9pm, it was busy and a bit noisy. Make reservations it is a popular place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pamper Day DinnerMamaDiva1Dined on 7/19/2014I recently had dinner @ Evvia as part of a mom's spa pamper day. It was a wonderful way to wrap-up an awesome day with my BFFs! We want to bring our husbands back next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great after all these years..FridaynitefoodiesVIPDined on 7/18/2014We had dinner at Evvia for the first time in about 10 years. Wish it hadn't been so long because everything was superb! We had been reminded of what wonderful food was there by watching an episode of "the best thing I ever ate" on the Food Network. Someone was raving about the lamb meatball appetizer. It did not disappoint. Delicious. Our server Robi was fabulous, friendly and made us feel so welcome. Everyone from the bus boys to the servers who passed by our table were so friendly, courteous and seemed to love being there. We look forward to going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KindnessDrceatsDined on 7/15/2014I never eat lamb. But I decided if anyone could do it well, Evvia might. It was delicious. I will definitely get back here or to Kokkari. More than the food, however, was the kindness the host showed me. I had some major skin damage and it was burning and so uncomfortable. If it weren't for the fact my friends and I had arranged this day awhile ago, I would have stayed home due to pain and general ugliness. My friend asked for some ice for me and the host was so good about getting me a cold pack and then later a big bag of ice. We even had a super nice table. Luckily, there was a way I could angle away from the majority of the crowd there.Special Features:
- Still the best in PAHomieVIPDined on 7/15/2014Regrettably, the pita wrapped ahi with caramelized onions was no longer on the lunch menu. I spoke with the owner and he kindly agreed to talk to the chef about bringing it back, saying it was one of his favorites too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great monday night celebrationluv2eatoutDined on 7/14/2014we had a superb evening at Evvia last monday. We decide to sample multiple appetizers instead of ordering an entree and all of them (we had 6) were excellent. Our waiter recommended a very good greek white wine to go along with our meal and we topped everything off with a fantastic dessert, the phyllo wrapped vanilla bean custard with a pistachio ice cream scoop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch in a class settingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2014I've eaten at Kokkari in San Francisco, a sister restaurant, and Evvia measures up. Attentive waiters, open ambiance, sunny, great food, and as it was a client lunch, I was delighted to be able to talk quietly and comfortably. Would go back again.Special Features:
- Just awesome!peninsuliteDined on 7/12/2014My first time there after friends mentioned how great it was. It was everything they described and more! Lamb chops were out of this world tasty! wood oven branzino was also perfectly cooked. Server was very attentive, prompt and courteous. Desserts were great.. Overall a great dinner and looking forward to coming back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014Wonderful and attentive wait staff. Kind and helpful waiter for avoiding food allergies and ordering dinner for a child. Very relaxed experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back!SantaCruzinDined on 7/8/2014We got an early dinner reservation as others suggested and were glad we did since the place filled up quickly, even mid-week! Service was attentive, good recommendations on menu items, filled our glasses promptly, food was hot. Delicious food: we tried wild mushroom special and riblets for appetizers, wild salmon and whole baked sea bass for entrees. Will definitely need to come back and try their desserts!Special Features:
- LambloverDined on 7/8/2014Outstanding food and service as usual. Without a doubt, one of the best, if not THE best restaurants and menus on the SF Peninsula. Noise level can be high, but it is a vibrant and warm vibe, so somehow it feels lively and adds to the atmosphere. I love how their front window panels slide open for al fresco dining on warm days/ evenings.Special Features:
- great service, delicious foodjohnwDined on 7/6/2014At the suggestion of our server, who was friendly, helpful and prompt without hovering, we decided to select several starters: fried zucchini balls with a yoghurt mint sauce, roasted asparagus, red and orange beet salad and pita bread with eggplant dip. They were all nicely presented and delicious. We split a main course: the rotisserie of the day, which was lamb, served with lemon. It was succulent and tasty. We had been offered water when we were seated, but needed help with choosing wine. We asked our server to select 2 different glasses of white, which were quite drinkable, and took his recommendation for a bottle of very nice red. Our only regret? No room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014Average food and service for what I thought was high end prices. The lamb was dry and it took asking a server if someone was going to bring utensils for our salads
- Great Lunch!SVDinerVIPDined on 7/2/2014It was a beautiful afternoon and Evvia let the fresh air in by leaving their large front window open. It made it a special afternoon. Their hostess greeted us right on schedule and we had a outstanding pita bread and their wonderful dips. It was amazing. I had their wild salmon that was probably the best I ever had. My wife had a delicious chicken Skewers. I would recommend Evvia to anyone.Special Features:
- Worth tryingNoisyDined on 6/30/2014Lived up to reviews. Excellent food. Had lunch lamb pita sandwich and lamb burger. Pricey if you are not on expense account. Save this place for special occasions or go during lunch with lower priced choices. Nice ambience, upscale feel.Special Features:
- Best all around restaurantGreatmaddenDined on 6/29/2014There isn't one thing to complain about. This place has amazing service, our waiter has worked there for 17 years which really says something. The food is incredible and I suggest ordering family style so you can try more things. Get the branzino fish and lamb meatballs!! I will definitely be returning !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was an amazing experienceGilroyGirlDined on 6/28/2014The food was sooooo good that even as we were eating dessert we wished we could go back and start all over again. The Lamb here is the best anywhere...we shared (family style is great here) and had Lamb Chops, Lamb Shank and Moussaka...all of which were to die for! We also did a trio of desserts and appetizers and everything was absolutely delicious. But we could not have enjoyed it as much without the great service from Robi! She did a great job making us feel welcome and well taken care of the whole meal! Thanks Robi for making a special night even better than we ever expected.Special Features:
- Always greatNickVIPDined on 6/27/2014I love Evvia. It's easily my favorite restaurant in Palo Alto. The appetizers are so good, we just ordered a bunch of those and split them. Spanakopita and tzatziki were the highlights. Greek salad and lamb meatballs also tremendous. Grilled octopus was a little chewy and not quite as crisp as I would've liked. Only true downside this time, though, was our table was located right next to the computer all the servers use to input orders so there was a fair amount of foot traffic near us. Nonetheless, Evvia never fails to deliver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experience at EvviaGlobetrotterVIPDined on 6/26/2014Evvia is by far my favorite restaurant in Palo Alto / Menlo Park area. Not only it has great food but service is consistently outstanding and ambiance welcoming. I can't recommend it enough!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/25/2014As always, a wonderful meal. I could eat here every week. Just outstanding.Special Features:
- Dining Delight!Diners22Dined on 6/22/2014Evvia was truly a lovely evening of dining delight, excellent quality and presentation of food combined with superb service in a very pretty setting. Evvia has everything diners are looking for in their evening out. Delicate fried smelt, so fresh! Lamb dishes not to be missed, lamb riblets appetizer and lamb shank entree were luxurious and so tender. Desserts were divine, coupled with Greek coffee. This restaurant will go into our regular rotation of dining choices. If you are taking guests, everyone will be pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and ambienceFattyDined on 6/20/2014Loved the food. Really outstanding, going with the traditional Greek offerings is the best way to go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeFoodie123Dined on 6/18/2014I've had awesome time at Evvia. The food was great and so was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoriteOlderAshtangiDined on 6/17/2014Evvia is one of our favorite restaurants for special occasions. It has remained excellent over the years. Our current meal was no exception. The Greek Yogurt dessert was the best yogurt we have ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, but niceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014A real neighborhood hot spot for good reason. I've never been disappointed with the food, the menu items are delicious and thoughtfully prepared. Reserve far in advance to get the time/date you're seeking. For the best availability, look for early evening reservations (right after opening).Special Features:
- slow sundayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/8/2014well.... it was a slow sunday.... lots of empty tables.. yet Evvia wanted to hoard them and not set our reservation of 3 at decent table that wasnt facing a linen closet and service door. not like there werent other tables of four free and larger tables as well. were they thinking a bus of people were coming in at 830 on a sunday....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Star Kitchen with 3 Star ServiceJon95125VIPDined on 6/6/2014We've eaten at Evvia many times. The kitchen is absolutely outstanding. While the food is more on the rustic Greek style, the quality of the ingredients and the preparation are outstanding; even for a restaurant rich region like the bay area. The service can be spotty. They do have uniformly top notch servers, but far too often wine glasses go unfilled, water glasses are empty; and food delivery is a little spotty (one person gets served but the others wait), etc. It must be something to do with the layout and staffing, because the attention is good, and some of the servers are people we've had at other restaurants to much better effect.Special Features:
- Always A Hit!TerriVIPDined on 6/4/2014Wonderful place to dine. The only draw back is; it takes so much planning to make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fantastic/but too noisyabejamadreDined on 6/3/2014The food was FABULOUS! We had the pea/ feta salad and the octopus as appetizers, and moussaka, raviolis, salmon, and roasted chicken for main courses. All were terrific. Very flavorful, perfectly cooked. However, at our table for 6, it was very difficult to hear each other talk. And a couple of our number were older and had real trouble hearing. I would say go here for a wonderful dining experience, but not as a place where you need an intimate, well-understood conversation. Service was very good and friendly.Special Features:
- Peninsula prizeBAMCO1Dined on 5/29/2014My dining partner and I both are food service professionals with discriminating tastes for the complete dining experience. Excellent restaurant with interesting, unique, and well written menu Flawlessly executed with touches of European service seen only in fine dining restaurants. Warm and friendly. Very loud, but will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1591 reviews are from the Evvia reviews archive.
- Great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/22/2014Wonderful place for lunch (or dinner). Very happy with service too.Special Features:
- LovetolunchVIPDined on 5/22/2014Great food, except fries were soft and cooled off quickly. Love being in Evvias, but wish I didn't have to shout to my lunch companion--always a problem for me. Very attentive, friendly wait staff this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch for special occasionWiseOwlDined on 5/21/2014Took a friend here for lunch to celebrate a special birthday. This was my second time here and the service was again outstanding and that is why I decided to come back for this occasion. I ordered the lamb chops and it was tasty. However for $29, both lamb chops were small and one was a little on the fatty side. I think it would have been nice to add some vegetables with the meal instead of just 2 small potato wedges. Overall, we had a good time at Evvia.Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceMaui2visitDined on 5/20/2014We have been to Evvia now twice and had lovely meals both times. The food is delicious and the interior is elegant but not stuffy. A great place for a special occasion meal. Also they have good food choices for diabetics and healthy eaters, and are accommodating with substitutions and leaving things out of their dishes when feasible. Flexibility is always a plus in my book. Attentive professional wait staff.Special Features:
- FABULOUS!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 5/20/2014The service was excellent, the food flawless. We had an appetizer on special that night - grilled mushrooms and corn with feta - that was delicious. I had the Moussaka, which was perfect, and my dining companion had the best Branzino I've had in a while. The wine suggestions were spot on, and dessert, vanilla bean custard wrapped in phyllo and served with pistachio ice cream, was excellent. The only down side is the noise level. It's difficult to talk. But that doesn't detract from the wonderful food and service.Special Features:
- SV-OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2014Great food for a special occasion. Received a wonderful service! Our waitress knew the food list and was able to advise us on the wine. She surprise my friend by bring her a wonderful dessert with candles.Special Features: