Union Square Cafe
21 East 16th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Union Square Cafe
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.unionsquarecafe.com/
- Phone: 2122434020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: Noon - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Carmen Quagliata
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine
A word from Union Square Cafe
One of America’s most acclaimed and popular restaurants, Danny Meyer’s Union Square Cafe serves robustly flavored, seasonal American cuisine in a relaxed setting of casual elegance. We offer full lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch menus with daily specials in the dining room and at the bar. As Danny Meyer’s first restaurant, Union Square Cafe is the birthplace of a generation of widely lauded, award-winning restaurants, and an enormous number of world-renowned chefs. Union Square Cafe’s iconic food and gracious hospitality changed the restaurant landscape in New York City and continue to set the bar for excellence and innovation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Union Square Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
659 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (420)special occasion (355)neighborhood gem (319)great for lunch (211)notable wine list (203)romantic (149)great for brunch (138)good for groups (88)hot spot (87)vibrant bar scene (74)late-night find (23)kid-friendly (21)great for outdoor dining (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Brothers 26th BirthdayBevhead2292Dined on 8/12/2014Our experience was absolutely incredible. I am a Cornell Hotelie concentrating on F&B who always dreamed of dining at Danny Meyers first restaurant, and it lived up to that dream. My brother, was also blown away due to never receiving such hospitality while dining before. The experience was unreal and absolutely once in a lifetime. So happy I chose Union Square to celebrate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- catnip1960VIPDined on 8/12/2014I have probably been to USC 100 times and the food and service are consistently excellent- there aren't many restaurants that can deliver a good experience every time. I'm partial to their fried calamari and pair it with champagne.Special Features:
- Fabulous703jamesVIPDined on 8/11/2014This is an outstanding food establishment. Terrific in all ways - service, food, ambience. Looking forward to our next dinner at Union Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go before it closesyummycriticVIPDined on 8/11/2014While there are a ton of great restaurants in NYC, there are only a very select few that possess excellence in the key components that make the dining experience a memorable one: service/knowledgeable staff, food & drinks, and ambiance. Union Square Cafe is one of them. I hope that many others will get to enjoy USC before the current location closes due to a greedy landlord.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingILoveToEat2Dined on 8/11/2014I have been so looking forward to trying out this neighborhood gem/legend before it closed it's door and while the service was good the food was not. The ravioli was pretty tasteless even though the presentation was pretty. The polenta was way too sweet. The tuna burger tasted like an average burger we could make at home. I was hoping for yummy.
- ScrumptiousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Heirloom tomatoes appetizer and the egg casserole (I forget the name) ... oh my were they tasty. The eggs, piping hot, which I love. Attentive service. Very nice experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014I have dined here several times and loved it. Sunday brunch with our out of town guests was very disappointing. One BLT arrived with no bacon. A second had scorched bread. The solution was a bread plate of extra bacon which was brought out five minutes later. There was a 45-minute wait between clearing the appetizer and delivering our sandwiches. Our waiter was quite nice but frantic, trying to serve too many tables.Special Features:
- Always brilliantempressnycDined on 8/9/2014Longtime neighborhood residents, we visit once or twice a year for special lunches or dinners. The excellent but unobtrusive service and stellar food are remarkably consistent. A NYC treasure and Union Square icon.Special Features:
- Great Food. Great Time.foodie2013Dined on 8/9/2014I went the other night for a romantic dinner. We had an amazing meal- the soft shell crab and frascatelli pasta were delicious. We had an issue with the neighboring guests. They were completely obnoxious to the waitstaff and while they added entertainment value, it was entirely uncalled for and did ruin the night. You can't stop people from entering your restaurant, so it is no fault of Union Square Cafe, however the second they sat down and were extremely unpleasant and annoyed with the table they were seated at should have been a sign to stick them in a corner away from anyone. Oddly enough, that's exactly what they wanted too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special PlacebabooDined on 8/9/2014Our first visit to USC was memorable for tasty food, delicious wine and attentive service. The wait-staff is personable and they tend to your needs without being overbearing. The menu offered intriguing selections; the eggplant soup was magnificent! The many positive things that we had heard about USC were spot-on. We hope to return on our next trip to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthwhile but...Edonohue3Dined on 8/9/2014Good, very good. Here's where USC missed. And frankly my reason for walking downtown to USC after a matinee Bway show was the NY Times interview with Danny and Michael Kors. 1. Greeted nicely at door, we were early and I let them know it was our first time. The restaurant was slowish and we obediently were led to the back and upstairs - in my opinion not the best seats (I like balconies with a view, ours was the wait station on the first floor)- it would have been nice to have been asked. 2. When we left, passed many USC coworkers, no one acknowledged and thanked us for coming. Normally I wouldn't have cared but I was curious about Danny's "hospitality" comment. Very good food, waiter was a pro, but missed on the hospitality test.Special Features:
- like2dineoutDined on 8/9/2014One of the best restaurants in NYC. I've been there before and always had the same experience. Never disappoints, and never rushed. Friendly, helpful waiters and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st not 100% positive reviewluke309Dined on 8/9/2014The food was wonderful as usual, but the service was mediocre. That's very unusual for USC. Perhaps they were short staffed. In any case, I would still recommend this restaurant as all the other times I've gone there, it has been a perfect experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulSBeatsDined on 8/8/2014I panicked when I heard the Union Square Cafe was closing, so I am relieved to hear they are just moving. And not for a year! The food here is as fabulous as it was when it opened, 30 years ago? And the service is amazing. I hope when and if they move that it will be in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- donnahdonnahDined on 8/8/2014very interesting food in a very nice setting; attentive wait staffSpecial Features:
- Excellent service and foodYvonneandDickDined on 8/8/2014Keenan was very helpful and we enjoyed our entire meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/8/2014Plaudits for the hostess and to the kitchen (with a caveat) for accommodating our seating request and for serving us a dessert not listed on the menu. However, the charge for the dessert was way out of line. We didn't have the foresight to ask what it would cost, we nevertheless should have been advised of the price beforehand since the price was not commensurate with the other dessert offerings on the menu. The restaurant while a little dark could be deemed romantic by some. Good wine choices; however, menu selections were limited. While the service was good, we found the manor of the waitress to be somewhat patronizing. This was a return visit after a hiatus. We recall it as being much better in the past.Special Features:
- LindaVIPDined on 8/8/2014A wonderful restaurant. Excellent food, service, atmosphere. We always have a lovely evening when we dine there.Special Features:
- Still Great!DeDeDined on 8/8/2014Took my now grown son and niece to Union Square Cafe- food is still fantastic and we had a great table on the second floor, overlooking the bar area. Our server was womderful and didn't rush us although we added a diner to our reservation and had to wait for him to arrive. Union Square deserves its stellar reputation and so happy to see that it hasn't changed in its 30 year history! Will be sad to see it move location in 2015. Hope Danny Meyer and the landlord can still work things out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much for goodbyes...ElleEmVIPDined on 8/8/2014My companion and I both wanted a special occasion lunch spot to celebrate summer, our friendship, etc., and when I suggested Union Square Cafe, she jumped at the chance to go. We both wanted to have at least one more meal there before it closes its doors, and it seemed we both wanted to go before that becomes the reason so many others are going as well. We didn't want the experience to be marked by overwhelming sorrow or sadness. And it wasn't. In fact, the sorrow was all ours for having to dash without ordering dessert. We'll surely dine there again, next time sitting at the bar—a favorite spot of my friend's from back when the cafe opened—many more times, I imagine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we love USCcharleneVIPDined on 8/7/2014This was our second visit and we loved everything about this restaurant. The food was so delicious and our waiter took great care of us, as did the rest of the people who work there. It is a top quality dining experience and while note inexpensive, there is value to what is served. We will definitely return and will follow them to wherever their new home turns out to be when this location closes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Good as EverBalaboosterDined on 8/7/2014I had a late lunch with a close friends (a recent widow) and it was like home: relaxing, unrushed and exquisite. We were able to talk and enjoy ourselves. Our waiter was great (attentive without being a pest). I'm ready to go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i8verywellDined on 8/7/2014Sorry to see this landmark restaurant will close soonSpecial Features:
- REVSVIPDined on 8/6/2014As usual, a great dinner except the only table they had for us was in an inferior location.Special Features:
- disappointing dinnerdisappointingDined on 8/6/2014the waitress was insipid and had an attitude. I ordered two appetizers and the fried calamari was poor: overly fried and no flavor , not any better than fast food. My beef carpaccio was very good. the tomato appetizer was only passable. One friend got the swordfish entree which was just ok and the lamb chops came not cooked as asked for and then were only ok. wine which as very good. (the waitress earlier suggested a wine that was a special and then said they would not let us have a taste) The desserts were great; the only high quality food part of the meal. .
- food was fabulous, service notMaryMermaidDined on 8/6/2014This was our third visit and the food has been consistently delcious, innovative without being complicated, and served well. The salmon crudo, marinated anchovies and spaghettini Siciliano were prepared to perfection. We raved about each and scraped our plates. The service was uneven.Special Features:
- always greattsw9Dined on 8/5/2014Interesting menu well done as usual. Reasonable cost for a very upscale restaurant. Service and ambience excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKevinVIPDined on 8/5/2014Union Square Cafe never fails to deliver an outstanding dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/5/2014Still the best service in town and a warm and friendly atmosphere - without being cloying - makes it my favorite of the Danny Meyer placesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/4/2014I was very surprised by the food. Most of the dishes were very unbalanced. Nothing was very special. Not what I expected from a restaurant great like Danny Meyer.
- Union Square CafeSusieDined on 8/4/2014Read the Philip Galanes article in Sunday's NYT's Style section on Danny Meyer (owner of the Union Square Cafe) and Michael Kors. We are visiting from San Diego, so we made a reservation. The staff was exceedingly friendly and accommodating, food was beautifully prepared and delicious. Our waiter, Rick, was charming and always kind and helpful. A wonderful experience.Special Features:
- I had never been thereNinaKDined on 8/4/2014I finally got to go to this well-known restaurant. I went for lunch. The service was really excellent. Very attentive, knowledgeable waiter. The food was excellent. This might not be cutting edge, but it's delicious. Fresh stuff from the farmer's market. We enjoyed everything. The heirloom tomato salad and beet gazpacho were outstanding. For those who like soft-shell crabs, they were really good.Special Features:
- Deteriorating qualityTryingnewplacesVIPDined on 8/3/2014I've been a fan of USQ for years, though was quite disappointed by the service and food. We went to celebrate a birthday and despite mentioning it when making the reservation and confirming the occasion the day ahead, we were seated in a back corner that offered none of the USQ charm despite plenty of noise. The service team was distracted dealing with a service problem at the table next to us and seemed to forget that we existed. The food was decent though arrived cool. The waitress never asked how the meal was and I poured wine for the table the entire time. Ultimately, it was a $250 diner meal and a huge birthday disappointment. Thanks USQ.
- GeneDined on 8/3/2014The steak, calamari and pasta that we had were awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It breaks my heart it's closingkateDined on 8/3/2014This has been a neighborhood classic and it remains as wonderful as ever even after all these years. I'm so sad it's closing--if you haven't yet been, you should go. The food is always delicious, the waitstaff are attentive without being overbearing, and it's quiet enough for conversations.Special Features:
- mayagofferVIPDined on 8/3/2014My soft shell crab dish was high in flavor, but not fresh I suspect. I had to run to the bathroom right away.Special Features:
- Wonderful serviceNellDined on 8/3/2014We really enjoyed our brunch at the Union Square Cafe. We started with the creme brulee scones, they were to die for! For brunch, we shared the brioche french toast with a side of potatoes and bacon. It was definitely enough food for the two of us and well worth it. Everything was delicious. The service was top notch as well- our waiter was very attentive but not annoying and had a good sense of humor. He made our experience even more enjoyable. We love it there and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestBrunchiesDined on 8/3/2014Still my favorite NYC restaurant. I hope USC will remain in the Union Square neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/1/2014It's the perfect neighborhood restaurant. The go-to place. I hope it stays in Union Square forever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodTravellerDined on 8/1/2014UTS never disappoints. First-rate in every way. I came with out of town guests, who were properly wowed and sated.Special Features: