Union Square Cafe
21 East 16th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Union Square Cafe
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.unionsquarecafe.com/
- Phone: 2122434020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: Noon - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Carmen Quagliata
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine
A word from Union Square Cafe
One of America’s most acclaimed and popular restaurants, Danny Meyer’s Union Square Cafe serves robustly flavored, seasonal American cuisine in a relaxed setting of casual elegance. We offer full lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch menus with daily specials in the dining room and at the bar. As Danny Meyer’s first restaurant, Union Square Cafe is the birthplace of a generation of widely lauded, award-winning restaurants, and an enormous number of world-renowned chefs. Union Square Cafe’s iconic food and gracious hospitality changed the restaurant landscape in New York City and continue to set the bar for excellence and innovation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Union Square Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
654 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (425)special occasion (348)neighborhood gem (328)notable wine list (209)great for lunch (207)romantic (145)great for brunch (138)hot spot (90)good for groups (89)vibrant bar scene (74)late-night find (21)kid-friendly (20)great for outdoor dining (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great overall experience.CharlysMom1Dined on 9/8/2014We loved everything about this very special, sophisticated restaurant. Still savoring the divine dishes and cheerful, helpful service. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could go back every daypaprikajVIPDined on 9/8/2014Such fresh, well prepared dishes in a comfortable attractive setting. It is always a treat!Special Features:
- USCKCazadorDined on 9/7/2014Great food, but even better service. Very knowledgeable waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still greatJoeFDined on 9/7/2014Always a special place. Great food and friendly ambiance. Service is also first rate. We stop here every time we are in NYC.Special Features:
- Best service I've ever had.tokiannDined on 9/7/2014Our waiter brought us an appetiser on the house and was extremely friendly. One of the best meals I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top quality establishmentDK1362Dined on 9/7/2014We enjoyed another wonderful dinner at USC. It was our anniversary, and we expected and received an excellent meal in comfortable surroundings. However, what always impresses me the most is the exceptional service provided by a young, energetic staff. They add to the experience and is the reason that we select USC compared with the other great restaurants available in Manhattan. Special kudos to Danielle!Special Features:
- The food was great.. Service poorLocalgemDined on 9/6/2014Great food poor service. We have dined here several times. Always. Great food. This was our first experience with poor serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where Perfection Rulesase1707VIPDined on 9/6/2014The Union Square Cafe is Manhattan's truly perfect experience. My wife and I dine out most evenings and we usually frequent high-end restaurants, but this always rates a top spot. It starts when one enters the restaurant and is met by three lovely hostesses. They are charming and have a great sense of humor, so you immediately feel right at home. The wait staff is there when you need a question answered, when you need to order or just to make sure everything is perfect. They are professional in every way imaginable, and yet they never seem to intrude. The menu is diverse and the food is wonderful from the taste to the presentation. This is a great restaurant and one we always enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little mehmarky367Dined on 9/5/2014Maybe I expect too much. But when the entrees are $30-40 dollar range, the food needs to be better than "OK." This was underwhelming. Which made the outstanding, professional service seem like a cruel tease.Special Features:
- As good as always but with a twistlBalaboosterDined on 9/5/2014They've shortened the menu, and cut out such old favorites as theirs home made potato chips and black bean soup, but what they do offer was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Please don't go!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/5/2014Always love the cafe and hope it will continue soon at another location. There is something charming and simple about this spot that let's you enjoy the dinner even more.Special Features:
- BradyBradyVIPDined on 9/5/2014Every thing we expected and more. Great service. Everything perfect. Would recommend to anyone who loves great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST EVERDeanCuiZineDined on 9/5/2014My nephew and I both agreed we had the best burger ever! Better then previous champs Shake Shack, Bobby's Burger Palace, Old Homestead and Peter Luger's. Delicious salad and dessert. I'm bringing my cousin next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulL0la132VIPDined on 9/5/2014After decades, still one of best in the City. Seasonal, delicious food with the most professional staff in town. It is always a pleasure to go there.Special Features:
- Neighborhood spot todayBijouDined on 9/3/2014Only good space is main dining room. Excellent corn and bacon pasta, average gravlax and lamb chops which were three thin lamb chops and a creamy gratin. I believe that they are resting on their laurels.Special Features:
- Everything we had hoped for & more!tableforthreeDined on 9/2/2014Have wanted to eat here for a while, and it was even better than expected. The food was delicious, the service was fantastic, and the overall feel was just as comfortable and warm as I had imagined. There's a reason it's a New York institution! Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Simply the BestClovernookwillyDined on 9/2/2014Our favorite NYC restaurant was a hit again on this trip. Great menu and wonderful wine list. Take your wallet but well worth it in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harried, distracted serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014Great food, but the service was very odd for a restaurant of this stature. Perhaps they were short staffed in the middle of the labor day weekend, but our server seemed extremely distracted, mumbled the specials (we had to ask the manager to repeat and he confused us even more; the one thing we caught from our server's mumbling was that the veal chop was over, but the manager tried to sell us on it) and, in general, acted like she'd rather be someplace else. The wine we brought was being decanted, but I had to ask three different people to send it to the table -- after the food started arriving. Almost from the start I felt the need to actively demand attention several times, which was annoying. Expected much better from USqC.Special Features:
- Good but not greatAnnaDined on 8/31/2014I heard great things about the restaurant for years. When I found out it will soon have to relocate, I got my act together and made a dinner reservation for Labor Day weekend when I visited family in New York. Perhaps anticipation had led to unrealistic expectations, but I found the food to be good but not great. I had the scallop crudo and Berkshire pork, and my brother had fritto misto and soft shell crab. The food was fine but did not wow us. However, the blueberry crumb pie was awesome. I love berry pies, but usually find pie crusts disappointing. Not so with the one that wrapped up my meal - I ate every bite with relish. The service was excellent, and the restaurant felt welcoming and unpretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Always, Excellentgeekguy1VIPDined on 8/31/2014We have been eating at Union Square Cafe, mostly for special occasions, for many years now, and everything about the Cafe makes any occasion special! The food has maintained a very high standard of quality for both raw materials and preparation, and the service is still the standard by which I measure other restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014One of my favorite restaurants. So sorry that it will probably be moving out of the area (Union Square).Special Features:
- suzieDined on 8/30/2014Love this place had a great time. Have been here several times, honestly a little disappointed, out of the wine we ordered and food was good, but not outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coming to an endReviewerVIPDined on 8/30/2014Felt like it was at the end of a run. Service was perfunctory. " I ordered some wine? Remember?" Portions small. Had trouble finding a first course worth ordering. I've been here many times and it's always been positive. But it felt like they were going through the motions this time.Special Features:
- We Love USCMontyDined on 8/30/2014Union Square Cafe is one of our main go-to choices for special occasions, or just when we want a nice night out. The food is always delicious, and the service is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenceConstanceDined on 8/30/2014Excellence in all areas. We love this restaurant for all of the above reasons and because they treat everyone as special even giving us our favorite table areas nearly every time.Special Features:
- Excellent BrunchfoodwineandsongVIPDined on 8/30/2014I would have given the restaurant five stars, but I felt the prices were too high for a lunch. The food was excellent as was the service from start to finish. The restaurant is very modern with beautiful artwork on the walls. The atmosphere is a little quiet for my taste and the menu is somewhat limited, but we enjoyed our meal here very much. The carpaccio especially was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceDjalmafilho68Dined on 8/29/2014Upon arrival, they took us to the back of the restaurant. Then asked for a table at the front. After further waiting, we were duly accommodated. The biggest problem was the waiter: invasive, rude and cocky comedian. Definitely a restaurant that does not indicate.
- wonderful food and placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014I just came back from NY and it was the best food I had there. Very friendly staff and wonderful taste. I had many otherindications but this was, by far, the best. I had a pasta and a delicious brownie for desert. They are not snobish but are much better than many others supposedely fancy restaurants. I would definitly recommend it!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServiceWorldfoodloverDined on 8/28/2014Our waiter Bob was terrible. One of the worst restaurant service experiences that I have ever had. He was condescending and rude to the point where we were glad when he stopped checking on us. Even the good (not great) food could make up for that.
- Great PlaceRL331Dined on 8/28/2014What a fantastic place! The food was superb and the service was even better. Sad to hear it will close soon.Special Features:
- Fun timeByrnestDined on 8/27/2014Fun time, great service that was present, knowledgable, not over bearing and funny while staying professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really sorry to see this closeRoadrunner2VIPDined on 8/27/2014Union Square Cafe is an old friend that I really wish wasn't closing. Everything is always right on point - great food, good wine list, friendly and efficient service, always a happy buzz. Go there before it's too late!Special Features:
- Return visitspicebalanceDined on 8/27/2014Had not been to USC for a number of years so had forgotten what a great job they do. Delicious food (had the grilled octopus followed by the lamb chops) and attentive service. Only disappointment was the wine which did not measure up to its price by a country mile. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall it was a great experience.SteveMDined on 8/27/2014Steak was slightly overcooked. but tasty nonetheless. Will be back when possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful timebillnerDined on 8/26/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary by coming to a great place. The food was very tasty and the service was excellent. We would recommend the restaurant unconditionally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome- bummed its movingRachel1VIPDined on 8/26/2014One of my three or four fav places in NYC. Fresh and interesting with great ambiance and impeccable service. Sad to hear it's moving to a new location. Hopefully in Union so it can keep its name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm a lunch USC fanPeterVIPDined on 8/26/2014I really enjoy the setting, the service, the crowd and the fresh, fresh menu. This visit included one slip-up (one person specifically asked for no bacon on their burger and it was there) which was rapidly rectified. Still, it's hard to ever feel anything but refreshed, filled and ready for what's outside after a lunch at USC/Special Features:
- Keep going back!Dlee59VIPDined on 8/25/2014After all these years this is still my go to restaurant. The food, service and hospitality is unsurpassed. The menu is always evolving but my favorites are still available. The wine list and dessert menu continually introduce my palate to new things. I love entertaining here as well. Clients always walk Away eager to return. It's simply the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingKrisDined on 8/24/2014Union square cafe has been an amazing experience for myself and my parents, who were visiting from San Diego. I wanted to treat them to an esquisite meal on their last day in NYC, and USC did not disappoint. Everything we ordered was mouth-watering, from the cocktails to the dessert. The octopus appetizer was a hit along with the lamb, steak, and truffle pasta entrees, all prepared to perfection. This was a meal they will truly remember as a highlight of their trip to NYC. Service was impeccable; friendly and professional. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experienceMMDJDined on 8/24/2014I was visiting New York with a friend and we were recommended this restaurant. I can say it corresponded to all of my expectations. Very nice staff, friendly environment and delicious food. I certainly will recommend it to my friends visiting NYC and intend to go back there next time I visit the city.Special Features: