The Café at Taj Boston
15 Arlington Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Café at Taj Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tajhotels.com/boston
- Phone: 6175985255x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday, 6:30am – 11:00am
Lunch: Monday – Friday, 11:30am – 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday, 5:30pm – 10:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday, 7am – 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Certified Master Chef Daniel Dumont
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Café at Taj Boston
A Boston landmark for over 55 years, its wall of windows overlooks the bustle of Newbury Street. The fresh New England flavors are accented by a subtle blending of Italian and French influences. Indian Specialties featured daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Café at Taj Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (11)fit for foodies (6)romantic (6)neighborhood gem (6)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (1)Show More
- very pleasant. we had anGlutenFree1VIPDined on 10/19/2012very pleasant. we had an early reservation and so for most of our dinner experience it was quiet enough to have a conversation. As the room filled, the noise level shot up more than 'energetically' The food was good. The service was uneven at best. The busboy kept trying to remove plates before our guests were finished with their meal. A pleasant room. The wines by the glass were enjoyable.
- When the Taj took over thePariseurVIPDined on 10/14/2012When the Taj took over the old Ritz-Carlton I heard a lot about them doing a major renovation (it had gotten tired). So far the clean-up is invisible but the staff continues very very nice. Food is first class but not exciting, wine list good but expensive. View of Newbury Street and location for high end shopping priceless.
- This was my first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012This was my first time at the Taj- it was a special occasion, and it was important to me this dinner went well. And they didn't let me down! Will definitely be back, probably soon!Special Features:
- The luncheon was delightful.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2012The luncheon was delightful. The window seat looking out on construction was not. I would have appreciated a warning about the construction view when I requested window seating and chosen not to look out on it.Special Features:
- It is great to get excellantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/4/2012It is great to get excellant service from mature and seasoned wait staff. The Indian food is a big draw and a nice addition to a traditional menu but the fish my Birthday woman got was good also; I ate part of it the next day. Is'nt it nice to be able to describe a type of champagne you want and get an immediate responce from your waiter person who will also recommend a glass of wine that goes with your dinner. There was just one mention; I ask the waiter to tell the chef to go heavy on the Indian spices ( Puerto rican hot). It was medium but tasty;I am one anglo who can compete with a Pakistani but eventually loose.Special Features:
- Christie & CharlescmabryVIPDined on 10/3/2012We absolutely love Mantra, and it is now our favorite Indian restaurant in Raleigh. The food is always impeccable. We always order the Kirkuru Bindhi as an appetizer, and it is definitely worth trying. My husband loves the chicken Tikka Masala, and I love the Indian hot lamb Rogan Jhosh (sp?). We enjoy Mantra for our special occasions (birthdays, Valentine's Day, special nights out with friends), and we love the location in downtown Raleigh. They now have a corkage fee (which is a nice change), and so we are able to bring our own wine. The service was a bit spotty in the past, but was excellent last night (we discussed this with our servers last night, and they are aware of the feedback, and are working on it).Special Features:
- We have been here few times,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2012We have been here few times, I wanted to try the hamburger but I was dissapointed, I ordered medium, it was smelling char and chunks of salt made it very salty, green stuff was very minimal. I guess here it is better to eat oriental fusion food. Overall exprience is good for service is great, sattention to detail is great, ambient and location is great, sometimes food is great
- Our daughter took us for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/7/2012Our daughter took us for lunch for our 35th anniversary ( I was on call so going for an evening dinner was not an option). Even though she had put this info on her reservation, the restaurant staff/maitre d' did not make any acknowledgement of the fact when we entered or at any time thereafter.... which did upset her. My comments are Excellent service. Great value for food. the prix fixe dessert lemon meringue pie was disappointing.... soggy crust. However, we were late lunchers, 2.30 pm, and there was too much chatter from the staff. Really loud... almost as if we weren't there. It was annoying, but as the service was excellent and the food amazing, we did not mind. Our waiter was kind and gracious; made it memorable.Special Features:
- TOO Pricey for the mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2012Very snobbish and condescending service; food mediocre for the price.
- For some reason they seemedkeelie17VIPDined on 9/3/2012For some reason they seemed to forget my appetizer so we got numerous apologies and a HUGE plate of the risotto I ordered--which was delicious! Sadly the chicken and the duck for the main course were both overdone. I got a soda and he got an iced tea, which were both billed on the slip at the end, then we had a weird charge for $9 for n/a drinks. Refills? Since it took so long to get our food we didn't stay to complain, but we'll probably skip this in the future even though we had an okay time.Special Features:
- Really great food and exceptionalPattyVIPDined on 9/2/2012Really great food and exceptional service. However, we were the only ones under the age of 40 in there on a Saturday night and the place was 1/3 full.
- Unpretentiuosly Pretentious!DCduoVIPDined on 8/30/2012It's nice to be able to enjoy a dining experience of a top-of-the-line hotel group without feeling like you've just had. We enjoy fine dining experiences and don't mind spending the money to do so. The Cafe actually provides the experience at a VERY REASONABLE price. The food, atmosphere, and service was all very good and I'd definitely suggest this place for anyone who wants to have a special dining experience or for a special occasion.Special Features:
- We went to the Cafe at TajRokoVIPDined on 8/25/2012We went to the Cafe at Taj Boston to celebrate my friends birthday and it did not disappoint. The food was AWESOME!! The service was fabulous and it was at a great location! Loved it and would definitely recommend it!Special Features:
- Dinner with a friendOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2012I met a friend for dinner who I only see a few times a year. We originally picked the restaurant because it was close to where she was staying, but we really enjoyed it. I had frequented the Taj Boston when it was still the Ritz and always had a great time (my friend and I reminisced of past events at the Ritz). We enjoyed the food very much and the ambience was perfect for catching up. We had a great time and would definitely return!
- There was a long hair in myOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/14/2012There was a long hair in my dish and it was changed. Then the bathrooms were very dirty and we told the hotel reception, as did another person who was there too. Between the hair in the food and the bathrooms, we were disappointed, this hotel has come down a lot and so has the cafe. Please share this with the hotel management.
- Jason is an affable MaitreOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/28/2012Jason is an affable Maitre d'Hotel. He will put you at ease and check on you throughout your meal to make sure everything is perfect. My husband and I are longtime patrons of the former Ritz-Carlton and now Taj.The team in the Cafe kitchen is one of the best the Taj has had. The meals have an appealing presentation, and more importantly the food is outstanding, piping hot, delicous at every bite. Quality and selection are superb. We especially like all of the fish and beef offerings.Special Features:
- we like this place, food isOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/6/2012we like this place, food is good and nice restaurant and you also get personal recognition, everybody is very attentive, after few dinners you become regulars meanwhile you are nobody in other places even though you go there many times. You get a choice of American or Asian Fusion dishes all prepared nicely with suprizes from the chef. You can go with confidence, on price list it sounds cheap but it is like any other good restaurant. Good meal cost more but it is good. Good Wine selection, I am not a drinker but my friend is always happy there, so I take her word for it.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2012The Cafe had a 1000pt Open Table special so decided to try it out. The restaurant faces Newbury Street which makes good people watching. It was pretty slow that night. The service was great - very attentive and the food came out in good time. I ordered the 3 entree special ($38) clams, mahi mahi, and Taj smores. It was all really good. The tab was a little higher than expected but that was mostly due to three glasses of wine which was $10 / glass. Thumbs up for service and food.
- The Service was Impeccable.....MuchOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/22/2012The Service was Impeccable.....Much improved since It became Taj from Ritz!Special Features:
- THE BEST WAIT STAFF IN BOSTON!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/14/2012THE BEST WAIT STAFF IN BOSTON!!!! GIANNI FRANCO IS THE BEST!
- Overpriced but pretty good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/6/2012The Taj hotel was the former Ritz Carlton and the decor and demeanor of the staff all reflect an old school elegance. The dining room was classic with a subdued charm. The waitstaff were polite but they were understaffed. It took over 30minutes for them to take our order and we had to call the waitstaff over for almost everything that we needed. The dinner took 2.5hours, which was really hard on our 3 year old. The food was good, but not amazing. $24 for a small dish of Tikka Masala with rice (a classic Indian dish), was pretty overpriced even for a fancy hotel. There were two errors on the check. We ate there because of convenience since we were staying at the hotel but after that dinner, I cancelled a future breakfast reservation.Special Features:
- Comfortable environment forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2012Comfortable environment for a chat over breakfast, attentive and individualized service
- Great place for a genuineMontomarVIPDined on 5/25/2012Great place for a genuine conversation with someone without feeling like you have to shout. Great, friendly staff were terrific and very hospitable. The food was very nice as well.Special Features:
- Quality consistent with the RitzDMSpierDined on 5/17/2012Remarkable food overlooking beautiful Newbury Street. Classic, impeccable service. A very reasonable price given the extraordinary experience.Special Features:
- SUPER PEOPLE! SUPER SEASONEDOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/12/2012SUPER PEOPLE! SUPER SEASONED WAITERS...BEST OF BOSTON!
- While the hotel is renovatingRayUWSVIPDined on 4/12/2012While the hotel is renovating the restaurant they are serving in a ballroom, which isn't too cozy but pretty. The food selections are ample but when it comes to the wine selections, they're limited and quite pricey.
- Pleasant except for the dowdyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/7/2012Pleasant except for the dowdy space. Perhaps the Cafe will be better when the new space opens.
- Breakfast was great-- especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/26/2012Breakfast was great-- especially the French toast. Service was wonderful.Special Features:
- nice place for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/20/2012nice place for lunch during restaurant week. Good food on the menu...service is great!Special Features:
- We went there for lunch. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/19/2012We went there for lunch. Food was pretty good. However, the waiter was rude and curt. There were only a few parties having lunch. Yet, service was really slow. We didn't finish our lunch til an hour and a half later. Go here if you have time for a leisure lunch.Special Features:
- Taj Mahal !OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/18/2012We went for Sunday brunch and it was most enjoyable, location is great service was old world style and food was excellent. Manager and staff were very attentive. Since I am English the Indian dishes on the menu were a welcome surprise.Special Features:
- Excellent Indian cuisine andOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/5/2012Excellent Indian cuisine and service but I kept thinking the space needs to be updated -- has old-world charm but even keeping with this style should be refreshed.Special Features:
- Ok food but over priced.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/12/2012People who took the reservation in phone was friendly. The service during the meal is ok. The price is over the quality of the food.
- The cioppina was rather salty.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/3/2012The cioppina was rather salty. The soup base was a bit too creamy tomato taste rather than straight chopped tomato taste and needed some sort of spice such as fresh basil, italian parsley, orange peel or crushed red pepper for contrast and interest. One nickel sized lobster piece in my portion but did have good shrimp in there. Too many potatoes (I had about 4-5 half baby potatoes in my bowl) which initially masqueraded as seafood pieces and diluted the taste.(it became more of a potatoe soup) Probably would not recommend this dish to someone who likes mediterranean seafood dishes. The citrus cake was good.Special Features:
- Great table overlooking NewburyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/31/2012Great table overlooking Newbury Street; gracious ambiance of the old Ritz Carlton; fast, courteous service; superb food. This place is an under advertised gem!Special Features:
- Needs improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/20/2012The menu offered a decent variety and tasted alright. However, the restraunt was not even half full and our server could barely handle the few tables he had. Even after requesting the server to come by and claer the table and offer dessert, it still took 15 minutes for him to do so. It's unfortunate becuase this place seems like it has potential. I won't rush back for dinner. Though I do hear brunch might be better. TBD.
- Not memorable in any wayIrinaVIPDined on 12/31/2011We went for brunch on Saturday of new year's eve. The ambiance was bland. There was no energy. Although it was formal, it didn't feel festive. The food was nice but nothing about the experience was memorable.
- The food was very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/25/2011The food was very disappointing -- overcooked fish, not much flavor to sides, few choices, nothing special really.
- Regal atmosphere, cuisine & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2011An outstanding dining experience on every level. We dined on Christmas Day, and were treated to an exquisite presentation and blend of flavors throughout our three course meal. The Chardonay had a light, fruit-forward presence, and the lighter-than-air dark chocolate mousse dissolved into an array of delicate flavors on the back of the palate. A word of praise for the friendly staff, and in particular, the gracious Maitre de, who expertly oversaw everyone's dining experience. His gentlemanly good manners and impeccable sense of timing were flawless, and helped to create the perfect dining atmosphere. We will highly recommend The Taj to friends, family and business aquaintances, and will look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- One of my favorite placesmazeymcDined on 12/16/2011One of my favorite places in Boston. The meal was wonderful and the services was outstanding. Will be back shortly.Special Features: