The Café at Taj Boston
15 Arlington Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Café at Taj Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tajhotels.com/boston
- Phone: 6175985255x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday, 6:30am – 11:00am
Lunch: Monday – Friday, 11:30am – 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday, 5:30pm – 10:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday, 7am – 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Certified Master Chef Daniel Dumont
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Café at Taj Boston
A Boston landmark for over 55 years, its wall of windows overlooks the bustle of Newbury Street. The fresh New England flavors are accented by a subtle blending of Italian and French influences. Indian Specialties featured daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Café at Taj Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (11)fit for foodies (6)romantic (6)neighborhood gem (6)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (1)Show More
- A joyterencejDined on 9/24/2013I first went alone and had one of the best clam chowders ever. Returned a week later to have another go. The clam chowder was good but not as good as the first night. The curries delighted guests and the scallops were divine. The room is beautifully decorated and the noise level is civilized. For a lovely evening when you can talk to your guests this should be high on your list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authenticdumanlaVIPDined on 9/11/2013my guest, an indian woman, commented that the food, indian, tasted home-made, which we considered the highest form of praise, and well-deserved. a total treat for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food we chose, the scallopTacheDined on 9/2/2013The food we chose, the scallop special, lobster risotto, watermelon cucumber salad, and orange mango mousse was unique, delicious, and artistically served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High class, good food and serviceChrispieDined on 8/30/2013everything tasted great - even the drinks were among the strongest I've had (especially dangerous at lunch) Crowd was a bit on the older side though - this being a Friday late lunch before a long holiday weekend. Not for the younger crowdSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who Needs To Go To India For BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2013The Taj Cafe offers standard, yet high quality brunch items, but the reason to go there is for the Indian portion of the menu, with its inventive, carefully spiced and delicious choices. The crab curry is not to be missed! Delicately balanced spicing and no chili, made it a perfect choice for something dxotic on an American palate. Their specials were also deliciously inspired.. I recommend it highly for the food and the expert, friendly yet non-intrusive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Café impressed us tonight.OpTabVIPVIPDined on 7/25/2013The Café impressed us tonight. First off, we had Gianfranco from the old Ritz serving us. The sole with lobster was excellent. Hope to return again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Old School ServiceMaineBigDaddyVIPDined on 6/23/2013We were looking for a place to take our pre-teen children to challenge their manners in a fine dining setting. The Cafe @ Taj was the perfect setting. They have continued the classic dining service level started by the Ritz. The service was seamless, friendly and unobtrusive. The food was very good and they made any accommodation that was requested. We couldn't have asked for a more calm, classic and smooth experience. Would definitely return. Oh and the kids performed stunningly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailLeefoodieVIPDined on 6/17/2013Came for dinner early on Monday night. The servers and host were extremely attentive and professional. Has a beet salad and tikki masala, all excellent. The staff even allowed us to split the second glass if wine as we both had to drive. The atmosphere was elegant without bring pretentous. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- The Taj for a Saturday LunchBMW1954VIPDined on 5/11/2013Great service, excellent wine (Carpe Diem Chardonnay out of this world) and tantilizing Indian dishes to round out an excellent menu....Quiet, well lit, refined atmosphere!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In general this place hasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/28/2013In general this place has gone way down hill since it's origins as the Ritz. It has the feel that no one cares.
- Nice place.Food was fairly good.keithmVIPDined on 4/22/2013We have tea here frequently.The cafe is pretty good.We had brunch there last year which was outstanding.The dinner was good but not great.The Apps. Salt roasted Beet salad & Clam Chowder were great. The chowder, though a bit too creamy, was full of flavor. Easily the best of the "cream" based I've had. I always remember chowders of my youth not being so full of flour & cream. Anthony's Pier 4 seems to have this down pat. Best "true" chowder is there. The Cod dinner was good, but over cooked. Not bad, but it made the cod a bit tough.Richard had the Currey Lamb. This was ok, but nowhere near as good as he makes it. His Curry beef is a staple at our Thanksgiving dinner every year.Overall good, but could've been better.Special Features:
- The lobster cobb salad wasProfNancyDined on 4/21/2013The lobster cobb salad was excellent, and the crab cakes benedict were very nice, as well. Service was excellent, and it was fun watching the crowds of dog-walkers on Newbury Street. It was my husband's birthday, and they brought a lovely little dessert with birthday candle. Just a very pleasant place for a relaxing brunch.Special Features:
- PamperedRaymageDined on 4/13/2013From start to finish we were treated very well. The food was delicious, including the appatizer and dessert samples which they brought to us on the house. The host and our waitress treated us so well, and were attentive. We will return another time.Special Features:
- Most excellent!!MarKevVIPDined on 4/12/2013I think this is the most underrated restaurant in the city. We had dinner here last Friday evening and found the restaurant surprisingly slow. My husband & I had a fabulous evening here. We started our dinner w/ a couple of apps, lump crab cake & ahi tuna tartar. Both were delicious! I then had a wonderful glazed chicken w/ oyster stuffing & my husband enjoyed his grilled Scottish salmon. We also shared a bottle of really good French wine. Service, Gianfranco, was most excellent, and the price was just right. We just couldn't understand why this restaurant wasn't busy. It certainly exceeded our expectations on every level. Perhaps most people aren't aware that this is a full service restaurant despite their name, The Café. We'll be back!Special Features:
- we loved being able to heardumanlaVIPDined on 4/6/2013we loved being able to hear ourselves talk in a tastefully elegant atmosphere, while being cosseted by unobtrusive serving staff and enjoying wonderful indian food.Special Features:
- We had a fabulous birthdayOpTabVIPVIPDined on 3/15/2013We had a fabulous birthday dinner at the Cafe. The staff was very accomodating of our need to make a concert in time, and they made us a sweet treat to celebrate the occasion. Hope to return again soon!Special Features:
- I like the old world charmOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/9/2013I like the old world charm of gracious dining. Great food , great atmosphere,Special Features:
- Nice breakfast spot, veryacrossVIPDined on 3/6/2013Nice breakfast spot, very accomdating as the size of my party increased.
- We enjoyed the experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/20/2013We enjoyed the experience. We were treated very well. The food was awesome. Different but awesome.Special Features:
- My boyfriend and I dined @AmyScottVIPDined on 2/16/2013My boyfriend and I dined @ The Cafe the weekend after Valentine's Day. My boyfriend is a picky eater so I was sure to check the menu online before we arrived. After seeing a couple of steaks on the menu I made the reservation knowing he'd be okay with one of them. However, when we arrived they gave us a special Valentine's Day menu. Seeing there was nothing on it that my boyfriend would eat, I asked for an alternate menu. They gave us a small limited menu in addition to the Valentine's Day menu. We were very disappointed when all there was to order was a cheeseburger. He ordered the cheeseburger medium, but it came out well done. I ordered from the Valentine's Day menu & was very happy with my meal. Everything was delicious!Special Features:
- The only downside to our experiencedsnapVIPDined on 2/15/2013The only downside to our experience at the Taj had to do with the fact that the menu (and its prices) presented to us at the restaurant were completely different than the ones displayed at the Taj website. Bottom line, there were fewer choices and higher prices at the restaurant, but we had a good experience nonetheless.
- Fine dining, even finer deserts,ChiquitaVIPDined on 2/14/2013Fine dining, even finer deserts, but the place takes itself too seriously, trending toward the stuffy side, and lets you know by the size of the bill that you've had a fine dining experience. The special Valentine Day menu was almost overwhelming.Special Features:
- Perfect for pre-theater dinnerkenessDined on 2/2/2013The Cafe was perfect for dinner + theater evening (be sure to tell waiter you have tickets). Comfortable window table overlooking Newbury St. and the Public Garden presented a great outside view, in addition to the warm furnishings inside. We had the the prix fixe dinner, which changes regularly I understand. Appetizer -- duck fois gras was interesting, entree: Black Grouper was amazing, and the Indian prawns had just the right amount to heat to be spicy but still tasty. For dessert, I don't think you could choose anything that you wouldn't like, and the same goes for the cocktails, which were not overly sweet, just very, very goodSpecial Features:
- Service was excellent. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013Service was excellent. Food was great. Staff was very helpful and attentive. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- We keep coming this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/11/2013We keep coming this place but this time the crab cake did not meet our rxpectations, ceasar salad also was not anything but usual, beat salad same. I think I will have difficult time next time to take my friend over here again. She would say, service is fantastic but we also need to eat food. File Minion was okey.Special Features:
- The Cafe is a well-kept secret.landsharkDined on 1/5/2013The Cafe is a well-kept secret. The Indain entrees are spectacular. All else is equalloy delicious.Special Features:
- The service at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/27/2012The service at this restaurant is the best I have experienced in the city. It brings Indian hospitality to Boston Brahmins.Special Features:
- Really nice Holiday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/24/2012Really nice Holiday lunch - food and service impeccableSpecial Features:
- As always, a wonderful SundayManast45Dined on 12/23/2012As always, a wonderful Sunday brunch. This time, however, the kitchen caught fire , the room filled with smoke, and we had to leave midway through our meal as the Boston Fire Department trudged through and the room's captain was told to evacuate the premises. So the mimosa & eggs benedict, what we got to eat and drink of them, were both great.Special Features:
- A far cry from the legendaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/21/2012A far cry from the legendary Ritz Carlton. They turned the historic dining room overlooking Boston Common into a function room? What a shame! The first floor dining area had an OK view of Newbury Street. Tiny things add up to make big differences between very good and excellent. The dessert trio was delicious but the serving of each was so small that you cannot actually sense that you enjoyed much of any one. The service took a while to materialize but by the end the service was good. The food was very delicious. Something besides olive bread would be more appealing.Special Features:
- What a great surprise!! ThoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/19/2012What a great surprise!! Thought it was going to be one of those upscale "stuffy" places, but servers made you feel very comfortable. Great menu, everything was delicious (Chicken Pot Pie, Mushroom Soup, Lobster Cobb Salad, Clam Chowder Portion sizes were good, in fact much bigger than I expected. Will definitely return and recommend.Special Features:
- This my favorite. Place forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/14/2012This my favorite. Place for lunch in Boston even if I am not staying at the hotel I would always go there.
- Service Out For LunchGramps09VIPDined on 12/12/2012In the past, we have had very good experiences at dinner: excellent dishes, well prepared an presented, with superior service. On this occasion, over lunch, the missing ingredient was service. It was sloppy, ranging from spilled white wine that the waiter made no effort to mop up to his delivering a desert that was not what he originally described, with no explanation. At best, lackadaisical. The poor service tarnished an otherwise good meal.Special Features:
- Great service and very thoughtfullyMatty2PantsVIPDined on 12/9/2012Great service and very thoughtfully prepared food. Overall, a very good experience.Special Features:
- How can a place not serveBartholdi350Dined on 12/9/2012How can a place not serve bread until asked. The simple Eggs Benedict were dry. Service was good. Prices didn't match the quality of the Four Seasons nearby.
- Wonderful food, service, ambianceReedVIPDined on 12/8/2012Wonderful food, service, ambiance and location. Go to the bar at the Taj afterward for a drink and lovely atmosphere.
- So disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/8/2012Four of us planned a pre-theatre meal here. Unfortunately, our experience did not live up to reviews. Upon arrival, the Maitre D was wonderful. When we were seated at 6pm, we let our waiter know that we had tickets for 7:30. He said there would be no issue. Then, our $100 bottle of champagne arrived warm/hot and we had to eat our appetizers without the cheer. The sole we were served was clearly not sole (almost 2" thick like haddock or cod), although the shrimp and scallops were fabulous. At 7:15 dessert had not arrived. We paid for the dessert we never received + said we would return after the theatre to eat it. Upon our return the waiter greeted us by saying "are you kidding me?" vs. being sorry; not exactly the response we hoped!Special Features:
- I always like to go to BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012I always like to go to Boston during the holiday season for a festive dinner and walk about to see the holiday lights. The Taj was so beautifully decorated! The Staff, the food, the atmosphere were all spectacular! I can't thank them enough for bringing me joy during the holidays.Special Features:
- Excellent place to dine!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/24/2012Excellent place to dine! The food was awesome and the prices great!Special Features:
- The Taj Cafe is closing inGlutenFree1VIPDined on 11/24/2012The Taj Cafe is closing in on its predecessors reputationSpecial Features: