208 Queen Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bilbobaggins.net/
- Phone: 7036830300
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: (limited menu) 11:30am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Lite fare: Saturday & Sunday: 2:30pm - dinner begins; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Armellino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bilbo Baggins Restaurant offers off-site catering. Please call Michael Armellino @ (703) 683-0300 for more information
- Cross Street: Fairfax & Lee Streets
- Public Transit: The Dash bus has 2 stops on Fairfax Street near the intersection of Queen St. The restaurant is located on Queen St. between Fairfax and Lee Streets. There are 2 metro stops in Alexandria that will get you within 15-17 blocks of the restaurant. The metro stops are King St. or Braddock Road. From there its just a quick cab ride or nice walk.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available evenings and weekends in the private parking lot directly across the street from the restaurant. There is an attendant. The fee is currently $4. For lunch dining Monday through Friday, there are public lots located near the restaurant and street parking.
A word from Bilbo Baggins
A casual local restaurant & pub with tasty food, unusual wines & beers from around the world, and friendly service. The green dragon pub sports 12 beers on tap with over 100 bottles from which to choose. Wines are offered by the glass or bottle with a full bar that offers unusual martinis as well as other libations. A fire place and 4 HDTVs add to the experience. Upstairs, guests find cozy tables located within 3 dining room areas. All menu selections are offered both in the pub and dining rooms. Experience a tantalizing tapas menu with a selection of cheeses, fire cracker shrimp and fresh calamari just to name a few. Visit us for lunch or dinner 7 days a week. Join us for a spectacular Sunday brunch which includes Frodo's french toast made from our homemade cracked wheat & raisin bread, a variety of omelets as well as other delicious brunch & lunch items. Located in Old Town Alexandria just 2 blocks from the river on Queen Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bilbo Baggins reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)fit for foodies (23)good for groups (22)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (16)kid-friendly (15)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (11)great for brunch (9)romantic (8)special occasion (7)hot spot (4)Show More
- Excellent food. Chef createsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Excellent food. Chef creates unique plates with various flavors that mesh perfectly. Highly recommend the Filet and the Veal Scaloppini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfying journey to the shireRun2eatVIPDined on 3/15/2014Our second visit to Bilbo Baggins was as satisfying as our first last year. I had the seafood grill which was a large serving of scallops, shrimp, calamari, and fish that was tasty and not overcooked - it was still moist even though it was grilled - a plus! My wife had cheese stuffed chicken that she enjoyed as well. The servings were too much to eat for my wife and large for me as well. I also sampled the excellent selection of beer, settling on an Austrian pilsner at the recommendation of the server that was well suited for my tastes. Service was excellent even though there were only two waitresses for a full restaurant - they literally flew around the floor but did not hurry us for our meal. We highly recommend Bilbo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly goodUp2UDined on 3/1/2014We found Bilbo Baggins on a search engine and decided to give it a try. After posting on FB that we would be going, we received the thumbs up from many friends. The food was good and the atmosphere was nice. I wish the upstairs was as cozy as the downstairs and reflected more of the old world feel as opposed to brightly painted walls that didn't fit the expected feel of a pub. So if you want that "pub" feel ~ be sure that you are seated on the lower level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting..celticmusicloverDined on 2/26/2014We dedcided to try something different and that's what we got. The server was nice but not great she seemed a bit disinterested in being there. The food; we ordered three dishes and I tried two. The duck was great but a bit fatty, the lamk was dry though my friend loved it. Just goes to show no one has the same opinion. My other friend loved her gnocchi. We ordered mixed drinks which were horrible and when we mentioned it all we got is we are trying new drinks not we'll take it off the bill or we'll make something else. We didn't even drink half. I was disappointed in that. I did love the feel and calmness to the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service was not so good. theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2014service was not so good. the server did not know what was on the menu and what we should try
- Nice Date nightmortDined on 2/21/2014We ate upstairs, early and basically by ourselves for most of our meal. The server was polite, knowledgeable and attentive. The menu was pretty expansive and our food arrived as advertised and was hot and delicious. Not my choice for many occassions but the place had decent ambiance, good beer and wine selections and well prepared foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Family FavoriteAnneDined on 2/16/2014My teenagers love this place. Their brunch menu has variety to make our whole family happy, and the food is fresh, tasty, and plentiful. My son enjoyed the Reuben sandwich very much and we all thought the beignets rivaled the ones we had in New Orleans. Though not a "kids'" restaurant by any means, we did not feel uncomfortable with the varied crowd. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Desserts!MinaDined on 2/9/2014I received a gift certificate for this restaurant. My fiance and I made a reservation for Sunday. We were seated immediately in the upstairs dining room. The room was comfortable and much quieter than the pub atmosphere downstairs. The food was great and the desserts were amazing. I had the Coconut Creme Brulee and my fiance had the Cappuccino Mousse Tort. The service was great. The only Con I can think of is that we were unaware that they only serve Brunch on Sundays. They do not have their lunch or dinner menus available at all on Sundays and that was not made clear on their website. We both went there wanting to try one of their pasta dishes but were unable to because it was Sunday.Special Features:
- What's the rush?MargBargDined on 2/8/2014Our server couldn't have been more abrupt nor could have rushed us out faster. My husband and I were having dinner with another couple whom we haven't seen in quite a while. We wanted to have a nice, leisurely dinner ( and there were plenty of open tables), and had just received our drinks when we got our entrees. She hovered to take our plates the minute we'd finished ( a big pet peeve of mine), then immediately brought our bill without offering dessert or coffee. As we were saying goodbye to our friends out front as we were leaving, our server blew by us in a clear hurry, with her hat and coat on, obviously going to a far more important engagement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in Old Town Alexandria!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/7/2014This was our second visit to Bilbo Baggins and it was great! The food was excellent as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the experienceJimSDined on 2/1/2014Restaurant wasn't too crowded, nice and quiet, food was delicious, and staff were very pleasantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You need the "ring" to surviveGandolfDined on 2/1/2014First time dinners - table for four... They sat us in a room with two very noisy large parties... The service provided by the waitress was marginal as she spent more time attending to the parties... Thre of the four dinners were considered marginal. The salmon entree was over battered and the salmon did not taste like any salmon we had before. The tuna entree had no taste! We each shared a sample of our selections since we were trying to evaluate the Bilbo Baggins resturant as a possible venue for our friends, visitors and clients.
- Pretty Good ExperienceGknox01Dined on 1/26/2014The homey environment was welcoming. The food was very good. The I was happy to see families there in large parties. I did not like the seat next to the kitchen, but overall, our server was attentive and the food was promptly delivered. When I return, it will be with guests and family.Special Features:
- Restaurant week menuDonnaDined on 1/26/2014The food presentation was amazing and the taste was to die for. The staff were a bit on the slow side, but the meal came quickly once our order was placed. The waiter was not familiar with the Alexandria week menu which was a bit disappointing. The bread pudding came highly recommended by the waiter but our party of three found it a disappointment.....it was more chunks of dense bread with a Carmel sauce vice a bread pudding, the flavor was good.Special Features:
- Good food, good timeCoffeyBeanDined on 1/25/2014I arranged for a dinner date with two other couples and chose Bilbo Baggins; it was restaurant week (RW) also. However, I'm a little disappointed with their restaurant week selection, one appetizer, three dinner entrees and any desert on the menu. We had a good time and ended up not ordering anything off the RW menu. There menu of beers is very impressive. It wasn't crowded at all, but maybe it's because it was so cold no one wanted to go out. I had beef tenderloin over mashed potatoes and really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent beer menuOldTownDinerDined on 1/24/2014For any beer snobs out there, Bilbo Baggins has a great beer menu, with one of your traditionalist on tap. Flights are also available, allowing you to try them all if you choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unexpected surpriseNewfoundjoyeDined on 1/24/2014I'd never heard of Bilbo Baggins before, but the name was interesting enough to draw me in. They have a very broad menu with lots of offerings. I'm not into beer/wine much, but they have quite a lot on hand. If you want a nice place to eat dinner, I would consider stopping by. Their portion sizes are generous and quite experimental.Special Features:
- Great place for a simple mealcapfan31Dined on 1/20/2014I was lucky enough to go to this location during restruant week in Old Town. While their restraunt week menu was less enticing, their main menu offered plenty to choose from. Their beer and wine menus are very large with several different options. Service was a bit slow when we arrived, but during out meal we mainly wanted to catch up with some friends so we never felt pressured to order or pay the check. I will be returning again. Great place.Special Features:
- a little overpricedAnonymousDined on 1/19/2014Enjoyed my experience, but felt the prices were a bit too high considering the atmosphere and food. Beer/wine/mead list was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer Joint in DisguisePenneVIPDined on 1/17/2014First timers. Not what was expected. If you want to choose from a hundred beers this is your place. Lost on one of us who does not like beer. The food is good with more than ample portions. The seafood risotto is better than average but with a bit of tweaking could be really excellent by chopping the scallops, shrimp, large mushrooms and asparagus and mixing them with the risotto. A waffle, ice cream, whipped cream and blueberry dessert was both bizarre and huge. The ingredients did not go together and two of us could not finish it. The bread with the meal is baked in house and was the best we have ever found in Alexandria. BB is worth another try for us since we have a better idea of how to navigate the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experience againOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/12/2014This was my 3rd time in 6 1/2 years giving this restaurant a chance & they failed again. Upon arriving, it took 4 1/2 minutes to be greeted even though workers were around and could have said that someone would be right with us. We were seated at a table upstairs where the dust was easily visible on the high chair rail. Our server lacked knowledge about the menu including telling us the portion was larger on the french toast than the pancakes. (One thick toast slice vs. 3 thick, fluffy pancakes--there was no comparison) Food wasn't good (not enough room to describe it here) especially the held over scrambled eggs. Our server never checked on us after our food was delivered until she brought the check despite empty glasses. Fair at best.
- TerriblepoppyDined on 1/11/2014Food is terrible and way over priced. Seafood was from frozen and over cooked. The chicken tasted like it was cooked a few days ago and then recooked again then served to my date. The wine my date had tasted like wine with old lady flowery perfume added to it. My margarita was good but overpriced. Avoid this place or you will feel ripped off also.
- NYE at Bilbo Bagginsfooddude2013Dined on 12/31/2013Had a great New Year's Eve dinner at Bilbo Baggins! Despite a packed house and people waiting to be seated, we were escorted to our table of 6 right on time. This is a quirky neighborhood place a few blocks from Old Town Alexandria, and it was rocking on NYE. Menu was eclectic, and food preparation was excellent - surprisingly good... Huge beer list and friendly staff, too. We had a blast, then hit the streets for First Night Alexandria. Will go back, for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Realizing it was a busy night,hobbitualDined on 12/31/2013Realizing it was a busy night, New year's eve, the waitress seemed overwhelmed. I was actually prepared for that, however, I wasn't prepared for getting another servers attention and still not getting any help. I did really enjoy the ambience and the food. I will go back on a not so busy night, to give the restaurant another try since this was my first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early dinner on NYEOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/31/2013Food was very good but the service left a lot to be desired. It took a while for the server to greet us after we were seated. Dinner came quickly after we ordered but then we hardly saw our server after the food arrived. It took well over a half an hour to get the bill after we finished eating.Special Features:
- Not the place to show off on NYE!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013I have been to Bilbo Baggins many times over the last 5 years. It was the first restaurant in Old Towne that I went to when I first moved to the area. My favorite dish is the Grilled Seafood platter. It is delicious! On New Years Eve, I wanted to take some friends there having raved about the place. We had no problem making a reservation thanks to OpenTable. However, when we got there and sat down we were handed a limited New Years Eve menu. My favorite dish was not on there. Instead there were all these fancy dishes that cost twice as much. I ended up getting the duck, and although not terrible, not what I was looking for either. It was very fatty and more expensive with less food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlaceHeadyDCDined on 12/31/2013Love how the tables (in the bar) are high - hobbit servers are small. Food was ok, drinks advertised on the website not available, but SO MANY beers - great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waitress was sweet butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013The waitress was sweet but didn't understand English very well. So she brought the appetizers at the same time as the meal so the table was too crowded. But the food was delicious. We also asked for separate bills and she brought the bill out on one ticket so we had to ask her to do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- misleading namelizmckDined on 12/30/2013Disappointed after driving into Alexandria for this destination dinner. The building is cute and the owners are missing out on creating a great place. It is filled with random junk - almost none of which has anything to do with Bilbo Baggins. Food and drinks are over priced and okay. Sodas come in cans so no refills for my teenage kids. Wouldn't go back or recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Mediocre. Didn't get the feelingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/30/2013Mediocre. Didn't get the feeling that the staff cared one way or another if we were there or not. The wines are way too expensive
- Excellent Customer Service by FranOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/29/2013Our waiter was Fran. He provided excellent customer service. Please give him instant recognitionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family get togetherskeeterDined on 12/22/2013This was a mutually agreed upon location and for several out of city relatives and was a hit! Had a great selection of beers and wines and the food was great! Looking forward to a family get together again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Instant FavoriteJWofHerndonVADined on 12/21/2013Having been to Bilbo Baggins twice before, I visited again last week with some friends for a fun holiday get-together. We thoroughly enjoyed both the atmosphere and the food. One of my friends swears by their house-made pizzas, which she has ordered every time. I tried the shrimp and lobster bisque for the first time and that will be my go-to order from now onwards - it was delicious! The drinks never disappoint either, whether we choose from the wide beer selection or one of their specialty drinks (like Hobbit Lemonade). We really love dining at Bilbo Baggins and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!lotr2Dined on 12/14/2013The restaurant is quirky and has a wonderful atmosphere. We made reservations for lunch ahead of time and were seated right away. All the dishes are very unique and detailed. The price is adequate for the uniqueness and serving size. There was an impressive drink list and we were able to sample two different 4oz beers for $6. Overall, great food & great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New Favorite Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013We loved this restaurant! Not only is the location perfect, the environment great, the food excellent and the wine/beer menu extensive ( as in larger than food menu!) but the staff are the friendliest, knowledgeable and most helpful! What a great experience! We loved it so much that we will be back on a regular basis! It you haven't been, it is a must-see when in Old Town Alexandria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had 1pm reservations andpennsgrooverVIPDined on 12/7/2013We had 1pm reservations and were not seated until 1:20. Once seated (in an area with screaming kids and parents who didn't pay attention to them), it took 20 minutes for our drinks to come out and another 20 minutes for our food. It was nerve wracking. Once the kids cleared out. everything was great and it was the restaurant we've always enjoyed.Special Features:
- We had 3 dishes and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/29/2013We had 3 dishes and the food had too much sail/over cooked. They forgot the salad. Server did not speak English good...go0oder was lazy.
- Met for a business lunch andZoomDined on 11/26/2013Met for a business lunch and it worked out well. Good server that knew to leave us alone while we discussed business and became very attentive when it was time to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food but do sitOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/24/2013Wonderful food but do sit upstairs, as the dining room is much nicer than the downstairs bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool atmosphereKateDined on 11/23/2013Easy to get a reservation. Waiter was great. Food was pretty good.Special Features: