208 Queen Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bilbobaggins.net/
- Phone: 7036830300
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: (limited menu) 11:30am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Lite fare: Saturday & Sunday: 2:30pm - dinner begins; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Armellino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bilbo Baggins Restaurant offers off-site catering. Please call Michael Armellino @ (703) 683-0300 for more information
- Cross Street: Fairfax & Lee Streets
- Public Transit: The Dash bus has 2 stops on Fairfax Street near the intersection of Queen St. The restaurant is located on Queen St. between Fairfax and Lee Streets. There are 2 metro stops in Alexandria that will get you within 15-17 blocks of the restaurant. The metro stops are King St. or Braddock Road. From there its just a quick cab ride or nice walk.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available evenings and weekends in the private parking lot directly across the street from the restaurant. There is an attendant. The fee is currently $4. For lunch dining Monday through Friday, there are public lots located near the restaurant and street parking.
A word from Bilbo Baggins
A casual local restaurant & pub with tasty food, unusual wines & beers from around the world, and friendly service. The green dragon pub sports 12 beers on tap with over 100 bottles from which to choose. Wines are offered by the glass or bottle with a full bar that offers unusual martinis as well as other libations. A fire place and 4 HDTVs add to the experience. Upstairs, guests find cozy tables located within 3 dining room areas. All menu selections are offered both in the pub and dining rooms. Experience a tantalizing tapas menu with a selection of cheeses, fire cracker shrimp and fresh calamari just to name a few. Visit us for lunch or dinner 7 days a week. Join us for a spectacular Sunday brunch which includes Frodo's french toast made from our homemade cracked wheat & raisin bread, a variety of omelets as well as other delicious brunch & lunch items. Located in Old Town Alexandria just 2 blocks from the river on Queen Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bilbo Baggins reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (23)good for groups (22)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (17)kid-friendly (15)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (11)great for brunch (9)romantic (8)special occasion (7)hot spot (4)Show More
- I have to say that Bilbo BagginsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/11/2008I have to say that Bilbo Baggins is hit or miss. We've gone a couple of times before and the service and food were so much better than our experience this past weekend. Granted it was Mother's Day and they were expecting a busy day. But the hostess who greeted us seemed annoyed right off the bat and was off-putting. The "special" Mother's Day Brunch menu was not especially special in any way and the food was blah. I was hoping for a much nicer dining experience for my 80 year old mother-in-law. Not going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Good beer list. Burgers wereOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/10/2008Good beer list. Burgers were horribly undercooked. Service left something to be desired. Stick to the bar here for a pre- or post-meal drink.
- This was my first time eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2008This was my first time eating at Bilbo Baggins, although I've lived in Alexandria for the past nine years. The food was excellent and our server was terrific. Our only complaint, and it's a minor one, deals with the hostess who seated us. She seemed upset when we requested a table upstairs on the second floor.Special Features:
- We had a great time and theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2008We had a great time and the food/beer was awesome.Special Features:
- We thought that the food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2008We thought that the food was very good. Some of the items on the menu were very creative and interesting. We tried two very different things and enjoyed both of them a lot. The beer and wine lists were also extensive, and I was excited to see that they had beer from my home state of Michigan. The only drawback we saw was that the ambiance upstairs didn't really seem to match the foodie type of items on the menu. We understood that they were going for rustic, and that's fine, but some of the decor felt a little more like an inexpensive family style restaurant. We will return, however, and next time we hope to try the happy hour downstairs in the bar (where the ambiance was actually very cool).Special Features:
- When I showed up for my appointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/22/2008When I showed up for my appointed time they were not opened - although it said on the door that they opened at 11:30 and my appointment was for 11:30. I waited outside 15 minutes with my client - and then had to go to a different restaraunt.
- The dining room has the bar-heightOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 4/21/2008The dining room has the bar-height table and chairs. It is a little awkward getting on/off the chairs. Standard height table and chairs would have been more comfortable. The food was very good, with a nice selection. The server was attentive and steered us to some good choices on the menu. (He was also nice enough to switch the TV to the Capitals playoff game.) Overall, a very pleasant experience. I look forward to returning, perhaps for lunch.Special Features:
- The pancakes were terrific,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/20/2008The pancakes were terrific, but the salmon and crab cake was a bit fishy. Service was fine and atmosphere was enjoyable.Special Features:
- The atmosphere was nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2008The atmosphere was nice. I didn't like the tall tables and chairs on the first floor. I made reservations thinking I would be sitting at a regular table. Instead my back hurt by the time I left. The beer selection was great and the food was ok. The portions were huge, and left no room for desert.
- The downstairs only has counter-heiOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/19/2008The downstairs only has counter-height seating and the seats are very uncomfortable. Only at the end did we discover normal dining tables upstairs. The noise level also rose considerably as the restaurant filled up, making it less enjoyable for conversation. Meal was quite good, however. Not sure I'd return because of noise and discomfort.Special Features:
- The food was just fair. NothingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2008The food was just fair. Nothing exciting that would make us go back.
- Rachel was FABULOUS! I broughtOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/16/2008Rachel was FABULOUS! I brought two people who had never been there and she made us feel like royalty.Special Features:
- There seems to be little connectionRobroyDined on 4/13/2008There seems to be little connection between the name the ambience and the food. Not exactly a "gem" but it did strike me more as a neighborhood bar with decent food.Special Features:
- The food and service was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/13/2008The food and service was great. I wasn't very pleased with the reservation. Our reservation was for noon, when we arrived we were told it would be about ten minutes but it ended up being more like 25! What was the point of making a reservation! Normally I wouldn't mind a 25 minute wait, but we had tickets to a show that afternoon and we had to rush through the meal. Our waitress was very accomodating and took our order and got our meal quickly! I'll go back, but I hope that they honor their reservations better in the future.Special Features:
- Two entrees at our table cameOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/13/2008Two entrees at our table came out soggy; one dish was redone, and tasted very good the second time around. One entree was slightly overcooked.Special Features:
- only complaint was that thejcptxVIPDined on 4/12/2008only complaint was that the menu listed items that were supposed to be on the plate but weren't there. Duck shitake spring rolls had very little duck, almost none and no shitake mushrooms. 90% cabbage. Not goodSpecial Features:
- The volume of wine per glassFunfoodieVIPDined on 4/12/2008The volume of wine per glass was worse than scant for a steep rate of $9.00 per tiny glass - a real rip-off. It was so noisey, it was almost impossible to hear the person sitting next to or across from me - people at our own table. Parking isn't real great either. Not a place we would return to, and definitely would not recommend to others.
- This was our first time atcjwaldronDined on 4/11/2008This was our first time at Bilbo Baggins, but we both had a great time. It's a unique restaurant that is nice, but not pretentious. We would definitely go back there next time we are in Old Town.Special Features:
- I was diappointed in the restuaranttigerpsfDined on 4/11/2008I was diappointed in the restuarant as I felt I was eating at a bar and not a restaurant. We did eat downstairs which was the bar area, but with reservations, I assumed we would have eaten elsewhere. I would easily go there to drink and have a great time, but not to have a nice dinner with my girlfriend. The service was also sub par, but she was very busy.Special Features:
- We had a very good experience,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/9/2008We had a very good experience, as we usually do at Bilbo Baggins!
- Very intersting menu especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 4/7/2008Very intersting menu especially compared to other lunch choices in the area.Special Features:
- A nice environment, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/6/2008A nice environment, but the food was not as good as I remember it from my last visit. It seemed our server was a bit overwhelmed.Special Features:
- We've been to Bilbo BagginsGrigioVIPDined on 4/5/2008We've been to Bilbo Baggins a lot over the years, and we were a little disappointed to see that they've changed the inside to be more "open". It now seems less intimate and cozy; and much more casual. It was also much louder than before. We had to wait for anyone to greet or seat us. The food, however, is still very good, and fairly priced.Special Features:
- The food was very good (asFoodieAtHeartDined on 4/5/2008The food was very good (as usual) but the hostess tried her best to ruin the evening with unbelievable rude comments, constantly joining or interrupting our conversation, screaming to new guests from across the room and even making snide comments about our desert selection! No idea why the more than capable waitress let her wait on us at all but she hovered over the table all night. Without her attitude and input it would have been a very nice meal.
- The meal was very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2008The meal was very good and the martini menu was outstanding (I would recommend the pear martini). Our server was fabulous and quite nice. The only negative comment I have is related to the hostess. We had reservations and there was no hostess to be found when we entered the establishment. We went upstairs to the dining room and other wait staff had to find her. She then made us go back down the stairs so she could hit 2 or 3 key strokes on the computer only to have us return up the stairs so that we could be seated. It seems to me that she could have done that by herself. We were not the only customers that were treated to the pre-dining exercise. It seemed to be her mission to be under-accomodating.Special Features:
- The quiche lorraine was amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2008The quiche lorraine was amazing and it's a rare find to get such a good piece.Special Features:
- I would describe this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/3/2008I would describe this restaurant as the place the Restaurant Eve crowd goes when they just want to get a quick bite to eat. It's a neighborhood pub for rich and famous of Old Town.
- Food was microwaved...overlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/3/2008Food was microwaved...overly microwaved. Beer was excellent, but overall a disappointment on a weekday night. Used to be a favorite...not anymore.Special Features:
- Food, service, drinks andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/3/2008Food, service, drinks and atmosphere were great. Wouild definitely go back when in the area.Special Features:
- I was so pleased to see BilboOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/28/2008I was so pleased to see Bilbo Baggins on the Open Table list. I have been going there for years and even brought my son when he was in college and he had his first date with his future wife there. Even the day before his wedding he invited everyone for dinner have the practice at the Old Church in Old Town. It is nice to know on days that they will be busy, I will have a reservation.Special Features:
- The restaurant was a heckOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/27/2008The restaurant was a heck of alot of fun. It wasn't too loud or expensive either. I took a girl there on a first date and feel that it was a very nice atmosphere for it. The service was really noteable and our waiter was fun and knowledgeable. My only quible was that my meal's garnish (crab cake, which as delicious btw) was far oversalted. I will be going back sometime and I surely suggest that others do too!Special Features:
- Used to eat there years agoOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/23/2008Used to eat there years ago before moving out of state. Went back for Easter dinner. The place is still quite nice and quite fun, although service needs a bit of polish. The waiter was very nice, when we could find him. He just seemed to be very, very slow in a very empty dining room. In fact his compatriot spent most of his time sitting at the bar watching March Madness. I would go back--it is still as fun and nice as I remember, although service needs to be tightened up a bit.Special Features:
- The menu had great interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/23/2008The menu had great interesting choices. I went there with a party of 5, and everyone left happy. I had the filet of beef stoganoff with homemade pasta and it was very very good. The service was great, and desserts were very good (order the white chocolate bread pudding - fabulous).Special Features:
- Great Easter brunch. BloodyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2008Great Easter brunch. Bloody Mary's are hot! Have to try the beer selections next time.Special Features:
- Hostess was frazzeled andSHinDCDined on 3/23/2008Hostess was frazzeled and unprepared for a Easter rush. She simply sat people down according to who stood in front of her and failed to ask if anyone had reservations. I spoke to several parties who said that they called 2 days in advance and the restaurant clearly said they were not taking any reservations for Easter brunch; however, I made reservations via Open Table that same morning (even though the hostess failed to acknowledge it and cancelled it as a "no show"). You should ask your clients to show as "no reservations available" for days they only want to do first come first served. P.S. They need to take thsoe dusty baskets down from the rafters; we watched as millions particles of dust swirled over our heads and plates.
- It was my first time thereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2008It was my first time there and I really liked it: the French country setting, the food, the service. Everything was really good.Special Features:
- The food was fantastic! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2008The food was fantastic! The presentation was beautiful and the taste left us smiling at every bite (very fresh). There is something to be said for restaurants that are owned by the chef. This restaurant is definitely worth trying. You'll tell your friends!Special Features: